Shoutbox

Compress Old Files - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Compress Old Files (/showthread.php?tid=44948)

Compress Old Files by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-18-2005 at 11:39 PM

Can anyone recommend me a program to delete compress old files? because disk cleanup takes ages to delete them.

RE: Compress Old Files by CookieRevised on 05-18-2005 at 11:48 PM

hu? what do you mean by "delete compress old files"?

temporary created files from a compress program?
old files on your HD?
temporary files in your temporary files folder?

Also mind you that Disk Cleanup is not a magical program with the mind of a human brain. The program can't know what you consider obsolete or redundant. Simply go to the folder where the files are and delete them manually.

RE: Compress Old Files by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-18-2005 at 11:49 PM

yeah, i mean the old files in my HD... which folder should i go to so i can delete them manually?

RE: Compress Old Files by CookieRevised on 05-18-2005 at 11:52 PM

To wherever they are of course.... :/

Your whole HD consists of files. Only you know where and what files can be considered "old"... Nobody can help you in that...

RE: Compress Old Files by buzz on 05-19-2005 at 01:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lt.Col.DraGon
because disk cleanup takes ages to delete them.
just start the defrag before u leave  for school and when u come back it will be done:^)
RE: Compress Old Files by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-19-2005 at 01:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by buzz

just start the defrag before u leave  for school and when u come back it will be done:^)

Lol, i was thinking of doing that, thank you cookie and buzz ;)
RE: Compress Old Files by segosa on 05-19-2005 at 10:27 PM

Defrag doesn't delete files :/

RE: Compress Old Files by buzz on 05-20-2005 at 01:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
Defrag doesn't delete files :/
he said delete or compress:p..and defrag does kinda compress:S
RE: Compress Old Files by lizard.boy on 05-20-2005 at 02:31 AM

defrag puts (almost) everything at the beginning of the drive and organises it so that you get a faster disc read time and slightly more drive space.

RE: Compress Old Files by CookieRevised on 05-20-2005 at 05:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
defrag puts (almost) everything at the beginning of the drive and organises it so that you get a faster disc read time and slightly more drive space.
yes, but has nothing todo with deleting files
RE: Compress Old Files by Chris.1 on 05-20-2005 at 12:19 PM

I've never EVER noticed an increase in speed from doing a disk defrag. If your system is seriously going very slowly, reinstall Windows or consider upgrading hardware components.

RE: Compress Old Files by Jhrono on 05-20-2005 at 12:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris.

I've never EVER noticed an increase in speed from doing a disk defrag

well i defraged it yesterday, and acessing folders in the hdd got faster...although, it wont make your pc faster, it helps :P
RE: Compress Old Files by uberdosis on 05-20-2005 at 02:52 PM

But don't do it to much becaue it can corrupt  your data from moving it around so much. I just format once every mth - 3mths i never defrag. /hugs 10k raptor

RE: Compress Old Files by CookieRevised on 05-20-2005 at 05:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by uberdosis
But don't do it to much becaue it can corrupt your data from moving it around so much.
nonsense... If you move data around 1000 times there would be any more errors then when you only move it 1 time.

Although, and this is only in theorie and very nitpicking: every time you move data around there could occur an error. But in practice this is nonsense and above all, defragmenting even helps reducing these theoretical errors because your HDD heads don't have to move around so much anymore after the defrag.

Also, defragmenting moves each data only 2 times at max:
1) move data out of the way so other data can be put first
2) put data back in it's final location

quote:
I've never EVER noticed an increase in speed from doing a disk defrag.
If you don't notice much chances then either you don't use your HDD at full capacity (speed wise), or your system specs are the slowest link in the overall chain, or you don't do much file handline, or your HDD wasn't that fragmented to notice any slowdown.

quote:
If your system is seriously going very slowly, reinstall Windows or consider upgrading hardware components.
Reinstalling Windows is ALWAYS the very very last thing to try. Doing this as a first step is rather stupid and most likely will not make ANY difference (If it does, you aren't comparing the correct things; A clean copy of Windows will ALWAYS run faster then a Windows with other programs/stuff/etc. installed).

But we are seriously going off topic....

And I must say that I still don't understand what Lt.Col.DraGon exactly means as his first post doesn't make much (gramatical and PC logic sense)

what does he mean with "delete compress old files?":
- delete old compressed files?
- compress old files?
- delete old files?
- delete temporary files from compression programs?

RE: Compress Old Files by Sunshine on 05-20-2005 at 07:01 PM

He means deleting old/compressed files (windows can compress them when you don't use em frequently - read as: old files). Asking for an alternative for disk clean up of windows (wich takes too much time in his eyes).

There may be another misunderstanding though, if i'm not mistaken that option in windows disk clean up only compresses those files, not delete them....the space noted behind it is how much (estimated) space it would save. Unless ofcourse a new menu appears inthere when you actually did compress them (i don't use it as it's not much space it saves)?

RE: Compress Old Files by rav0 on 05-21-2005 at 05:14 AM

There is no other way to clean up the "Compress old files" item. NTFS comes with a file-system based disk compression feature. The "Compress olf files" item you see in Disk Cleanup means that Disk Cleanup will apply the "compress" attribute to files older that a given period (15 days, I think).

It will attempt to do it to system files which are in use as well, and will encounter an error. To give it access to more files, boot into safe mode, and run disk cleanup. On the first access error, pick "Ignore all" and go to sleep, wake up and have a bunch more disk space.

To boot into safe mode, press F8 before Windows starts up, and pick Safe Mode from the selection screen. HINT: If your motherboard allows it, it might be easier to just hold down F8, instead of trying to get the right moment.