Shoutbox

Slow MSN File Transfer - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Slow MSN File Transfer (/showthread.php?tid=45059)

Slow MSN File Transfer by s7a5 on 05-21-2005 at 09:21 AM

hmm Is it me or MSN server or anything else that makes my file transfers slow.
ok its like this:
Sometimes when I send a file it's being transmitted byte by byte or
It's pretty fast or
It goes fast and then gets slow

I never had this problem since the last update of MSN (7.0.0813)
Anyone else is experiencing same problem. And no I'm not on dial up or anything I have good download and upload speeds. This problem is also not recent, it's been like this for quite some time now. Any suggestions?

RE: Slow MSN File Transfer by rix on 05-21-2005 at 11:10 AM

My file transfer speed always depends which contact is receiving my file. With some contacts its always quick, with some other contact, it lingers like hell.

RE: Slow MSN File Transfer by mwe99 on 05-21-2005 at 11:12 AM

How about the speed of the contact you are receiving/sending it to. And also if you're behind firewalls it slows you down.

if it gets really slow a bar will pop up telling you to click here for possible reasons

RE: Slow MSN File Transfer by s7a5 on 05-21-2005 at 08:26 PM

ye im under firewall "Mcafee Personal Fw Plus" (with all updates)
yes it does pop up but all it does it redirects me to some site, I guess to advertise their ISPs

RE: RE: Slow MSN File Transfer by uberdosis on 05-22-2005 at 09:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
if it gets really slow a bar will pop up telling you to click here for possible reasons

I thought it did that all the time?
RE: Slow MSN File Transfer by J.J on 05-22-2005 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by uberdosis
I thought it did that all the time?

Nope, only when its going really slow does that message come up
RE: Slow MSN File Transfer by uberdosis on 05-22-2005 at 10:16 AM

What kind of speed are we talking about when you say 'slow' ?

RE: Slow MSN File Transfer by haydos on 05-22-2005 at 11:00 AM

You could use File Transfer Plus (its in the Plug-ins section)

The transfer is slow because not as much of your 'resources' are put into MSN transfers, as is the case with a download for example.

RE: Slow MSN File Transfer by Anubis on 05-22-2005 at 11:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
And also if you're behind firewalls it slows you down.
Not true.
You just need to have it configured properly.

Open the main Messenger window go to tools > options > connection and what is displayed in the Connection Status area? Please could you tell us.

In McAfee personal firewall plus you may want to try opening the following ports 6891-6900 TCP an port, 6901 TCP/UDP. Afaik, McAfee configures itself automatically with MSN Messenger, so that shouldn't cause problems.

As well as that if you have a router with firewall installed, enable uPnP or if that isn't there open the same ports as I said above on the router.

Also does this happen in particular with certain contacts, or all of them?

What is your internet connection speed?
RE: Slow MSN File Transfer by s7a5 on 05-23-2005 at 03:56 AM

hey Anubis thanks for your attept to help me
I don't really think it has something to do with ports and fw as you said it yourself that it configures automatically. I don't have a router so I have nothing to block my ports with, haha I'm vulnerable (A)
No it does't happen with all contacts but with most of them I belive that yes.  I have a ADSL connection that runs at 3mbps (approx. 300kb/s)
Thanks

RE: Slow MSN File Transfer by Curtis on 05-23-2005 at 04:03 AM

Well it might be whoever you are sending to or getting from that has a slow connection.  I have that problem all the time.

RE: Slow MSN File Transfer by RgZ on 05-26-2005 at 05:35 PM

Well, like inc_haydn said... try File Transfer Plus in the plugin section. With that plugin your transfers are faster, it has a resume feature and you can close msn messenger and it will continue the transfer because once FTplus starts downloading it seperates from msn messenger. I've used it and it's great.. especially the resume feature.
just my two cents
RgZ