Shoutbox

Dodgy Icons Changed - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Dodgy Icons Changed (/showthread.php?tid=45069)

Dodgy Icons Changed by mwe99 on 05-21-2005 at 02:56 PM

Okay i recently noticed a change in my icons. I don't know whats caused it but they look bad:

Heres an example

[Image: iconsas8av.jpg]

mp3 should be the windows media player (and it still opens with it)
zip should be the winzip nice one

Any ideas on what it could be?

RE: Dodgy Icons Changed by Mike on 05-21-2005 at 03:08 PM

Try re-assosicating the filetypes with the programs that you use to open these files.

RE: Dodgy Icons Changed by Zephyr on 05-21-2005 at 03:09 PM

If you open windows media player, then tools, options, filetypes. Then check the files you wish to associate with windows media player. I know it still opens with it but, just check that mps files are checked.

The will also be an option for winzip with this.

If this doesn't fix the porblem go to control panel, folder options, then the file types tab. Then scroll down to the file types you need to change, click change and choose the program to open it with.

RE: Dodgy Icons Changed by mwe99 on 05-21-2005 at 03:12 PM

Hm yeah it worked thanks, i dunno why they changed on their own though :S

RE: Dodgy Icons Changed by user35870 on 05-21-2005 at 03:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99

Hm yeah it worked thanks, i dunno why they changed on their own though.

Sometimes when you open other media players they make them the default player for each file type.
RE: Dodgy Icons Changed by mwe99 on 05-21-2005 at 03:16 PM

I didn't open any other media players though, it was strange

RE: Dodgy Icons Changed by Zephyr on 05-21-2005 at 03:19 PM

I think that the file icons you have in your screen shot are probably the default icons for those files. So something you did, or something just happened which restored the default settings for those icons.

RE: Dodgy Icons Changed by Jhrono on 05-21-2005 at 03:21 PM

Google for a program named 'IconPackager' and change your icons back to the default xp ones...(i think that'll work, but i'm not 100% sure..)

RE: Dodgy Icons Changed by Zephyr on 05-21-2005 at 03:25 PM

Icon packager is a program used to download and install different icon themes and can be found here http://www.stardock.com/products/iconpackager/

You can use this program to resotre all default icons, but this will change any file types you have customized yourself, so it may not be the best option.

However icon packager is actually a very good program. I use it as well. Different icon themes to be used with icon packager can be foun here http://www.wincustomize.com/Skins.aspx?LibID=2 for anyone who wants to use it.

RE: Dodgy Icons Changed by user13774 on 05-21-2005 at 07:24 PM

You can use TweakUI (a Windows XP Powertool) to restore to default icons too
[Image: attachment.php?pid=465654]