Shoutbox

Dodgy File Transfer Names - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Dodgy File Transfer Names (/showthread.php?tid=45072)

Dodgy File Transfer Names by mwe99 on 05-21-2005 at 04:57 PM

When i send files all i can see is a strange name.

[Image: filetrnasfers8zr.jpg]

What could be it?

However my contact sees the full file name :S

My contact then received the error of this file has been blocked and could not open it.

RE: Dodgy File Transfer Names by Zephyr on 05-21-2005 at 05:11 PM

The ~1 that you see at the end of files i think is how windows actually reads the file. This shortens the file to 6 characters i think then adds~1

eg. Program Files is PROGRA~1. These short names are used in cmd.exe as well.

eg. in cmd.exe you type cd\ to open the C drive, the cd\PROGRA~1\ to open program files.

I don't know why its being shown like this in your conversation windows, but i don't think its anything to worry about.

RE: Dodgy File Transfer Names by mwe99 on 05-21-2005 at 05:13 PM

It never used to do it before though, only recently, I don't have anything else but stuffplug installed

RE: Dodgy File Transfer Names by matty on 05-21-2005 at 05:33 PM

It will intermitently do it depending on the length of the filename you are sending. Its not showing up because it is going to be blocked if thats what you are thinking. When filenames have a tolda in them (~) it is representation of old Dos 8 Character format where names could be no more then 8 characters. Suggest that your friend get SPNG and Plus! and remove the ability to block extensions.

RE: Dodgy File Transfer Names by user13774 on 05-21-2005 at 07:17 PM

I've had it too a few times but it's no problem!
It shows as a ~1 file in msn messenger but when you look in my received files it has the original name. Don't mind it

RE: Dodgy File Transfer Names by Purity on 05-21-2005 at 08:31 PM

I think it has to do with the lenght of the file name.  Infact i'm positive. :cheesy:

RE: Dodgy File Transfer Names by M73A on 05-21-2005 at 08:41 PM

mines always done this:S  shorten the file name and it goes though :S

RE: Dodgy File Transfer Names by Apatik on 05-21-2005 at 09:53 PM

it appears that files with a name longer than 37 characters (34 + 3) or 36chars without extension are displayed in the 8.3 format when it is send via msn messenger.

...yes, i was bored when i tested that... -_-