Shoutbox

Human Cloned - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Human Cloned (/showthread.php?tid=45153)

Human Cloned by s7a5 on 05-23-2005 at 06:02 AM

hmm I think it's kind of interesting but I wouldn't want to live among clones :(
Hopefully scientists will pull something usefull out of it (like organ factory and genetic mods for people so that we can have our teeth, arms, legs etc exchanged)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005230305,00.html

Neowin also has a discussion about it
Share your thoughts

RE: Human Cloned by -rafy- on 05-23-2005 at 06:16 AM

oooo.....now we can build a clone army.

RE: Human Cloned by Stigmata on 05-23-2005 at 06:24 AM

only problem about that is that the article has been wrote by the sun..

the same people who took pictures of saddam hussain in his underware...

mohamed al fayed will be happy then :lol:

RE: Human Cloned by ddunk on 05-23-2005 at 07:03 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4563607.stm

Better source? :P

RE: Human Cloned by Weyzza on 05-23-2005 at 07:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
only problem about that is that the article has been wrote by the sun..

the same people who took pictures of saddam hussain in his underware...
Yeah, I actually thought the same, but I searched more info on the Net.

Just some random news sources:
PM - South Korean team claims cloning breakthrough
CNN.com - Scientists clone stem cells genetically matched to patients - May 19, 2005
TIME.com: Inside the Korean Cloning Lab

RE: Human Cloned by RaceProUK on 05-23-2005 at 08:58 AM

Comedy News Network? :lol:

Anyway, I read that BBC article (<sarcasm>hard to believe it's better written than the Sun article</sarcasm>), and I find this development highly interesting. I think therapeutic cloning should remain legal: it has the potential to cure so, so many otherwise incurable diseases.

RE: Human Cloned by buzz on 05-23-2005 at 02:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
but I wouldn't want to live among clones
you wont be cuz we will kill them all for organs
RE: Human Cloned by Jhrono on 05-23-2005 at 02:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by buzz

you wont be cuz we will kill them all for organs

Erm...u r forgettin something...

When you clone a human being, the so called 'clone' IS A HUMAN BEING, so you can't kill it like that
RE: Human Cloned by -rafy- on 05-23-2005 at 02:41 PM

You know just thinking about it, creating a clone army wouldnt be such a bad idea....

no mother or father to mourn if they die etc.....

RE: Human Cloned by Jhrono on 05-23-2005 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-

You know just thinking about it, creating a clone army wouldnt be such a bad idea....

no mother or father to mourn if they die etc.....
Yeah did you read my post?
quote:
Originally posted by Johny

When you clone a human being, the so called 'clone' IS A HUMAN BEING, so you can't kill it like that

THEY ARE HUMANS!THEY ARENT CLONES, THEY WILL HAVE FEELINGS AND EVERYTHING WE HAVE..

geez...got it?
RE: Human Cloned by Pr0xY on 05-23-2005 at 03:08 PM

OH man... There are so many problems that can arrise from cloning.... and I bet there's more we don't even know about. 

Sure it would be cool to have a clone of Pr0xY (Me), but I just feel its wrong.  My morrals are against it. 

RE: Human Cloned by -rafy- on 05-23-2005 at 03:17 PM

yeah we still send humans into war.

RE: Human Cloned by Jhrono on 05-23-2005 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-

yeah we still send humans into war.

So what's the difference between killing a human and a clonated human?
RE: Human Cloned by Veggie on 05-23-2005 at 04:10 PM

if you kill a clone you can clone it again, and kill it again, and then clone it and then kill it and so on

RE: Human Cloned by user27089 on 05-23-2005 at 04:14 PM

That's what I was thinking Rafy, they send humans to war, what's wrong with sending a clone.

I'm not saying it's right, but they aren't humans, and won't ever be humans, they're just genetic copies, they've been genetically modified to suit the people, and it's not right at all...

I only agree that there should be "clone" body parts grown etc.

RE: Human Cloned by Jhrono on 05-23-2005 at 04:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

That's what I was thinking Rafy, they send humans to war, what's wrong with sending a clone.

I'm not saying it's right, but they aren't humans, and won't ever be humans, they're just genetic copies, they've been genetically modified to suit the people, and it's not right at all...

I only agree that there should be "clone" body parts grown etc.
quote:
Originally posted by Veggie

if you kill a clone you can clone it again, and kill it again, and then clone it and then kill it and so on

Have you thought they also would have feelings, and they wouldn't be robots?

You can't KILL, Clone, Kill, Clone just like that...Would you like that to be done to urself?A clone, is a normal human being, copied from another

RE: Human Cloned by RaceProUK on 05-23-2005 at 05:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
That is so morally wrong it's unreal. I'm all for therapeutic cloning, but when you start creating whole humans, you enter a whole new realm of moral debate.
If therapeutic cloning only produces tissues or organs, then I see no problem with it: it's not creating new humans. It's a bit like making an exhaust for a car then (though far harder and much more organic). Creating a whole new human though: that's like making a whole new car to fix the one you have currently.

OK, the analogy may not be the best. Hell, it may not be to everyone's taste, but you try coming up with something better.

To summarise: I've no problem with 'parts', but I am firmly against making entire humans.

Edit: We are not God. Simple as that.
RE: Human Cloned by buzz on 05-23-2005 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny

true... cloning will lead to the cloning of just oragans which is a very good thing

edit: o sry i just say raceprouk's post

edit 2: the entire link was about stem cells:S

Stem cell lines were created by taking genetic material from the patient and putting it into a donated egg.

The resultant cells were a perfect match for the individual and could mean treatments for diseases like diabetes without problems of rejection.
RE: Human Cloned by TylerG on 05-23-2005 at 11:26 PM

What if we create clones and they rebell and so forth.  And then people wouldn't know who the real you is....  It is so wrong, I don't even want to think about it:(  Like raceprouk said, we are not God.

RE: RE: Human Cloned by Y2Pdogg on 05-23-2005 at 11:40 PM

quote:
We are not God. Simple as that.

I couldn't have said it better. I don't like the whole idea of cloning and I probably never will. We all live our lifes and eventually die, that's the way it's intended...not to make new copies of us to "continue on." The whole idea just disgusts me to be honest.
RE: Human Cloned by Pipish on 05-24-2005 at 05:55 AM

hmm cloning is bad i dont like the concept of it but we have to put them to use a clone is a clone of a human they are not regarded as a human but a clone

RE: RE: Human Cloned by rav0 on 05-25-2005 at 08:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TylerG
What if we create clones and they rebell and so forth.  And then people wouldn't know who the real you is...
Well, the real you is the older one.

Cloned humans will have the same genetic information, but they will not be the same as you. They will be younger (as above). They will have different personalities. They will be educated again. They will not look the same when they become the age you are now, because they will have been in a different environment (ask your science teacher about the difference between genotype and phenotype).
RE: Human Cloned by mad_onion on 05-25-2005 at 12:27 PM

no you wont be able to kill a human clone cause it will still be aganist the law. but no one has made a clone because there is little point except to prove that you can. what has happened here is stem cells have been cloned so organs can be made for people because they wont be rejected. i dont have a problem with this as without a central nervous system of some kind the stems cells arent really alive in the human sense. the cells will just be made into organs.

RE: Human Cloned by RaceProUK on 05-25-2005 at 03:31 PM

They can have a central nervous system, they just can't have a brain. Not a fully-developed one anyway.

* RaceProUK wonders how controversial this post could be... :S

RE: Human Cloned by mwe99 on 05-25-2005 at 03:33 PM

Actually the chances of a surviving clone is about 30%, due to the way they are created it makes it hard for them to survive in the early stages, therefore as most genes are destroyed/die off, most people think it unethical

RE: Human Cloned by mad_onion on 05-25-2005 at 04:37 PM

well at the moment the likely hood is 30% but that might improve with time. but the propblem remians there isnt much point making a full human clone so someone will do it in the end but there wont be loads of them because clones dont serve a purpose.

RE: Human Cloned by RaceProUK on 05-25-2005 at 05:45 PM

Unless you're a rich terrorist with no morals, then you'll make a clone army.

RE: Human Cloned by absorbation on 05-25-2005 at 05:58 PM

Cloning humans is fine in my option as it will create many cures for diseases :P

RE: Human Cloned by Pr0xY on 05-25-2005 at 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
Cloning humans is fine in my option as it will create many cures for diseases :P
You need to think about the bad things about this also.  Yes Cloning Humans could help cure some diseases, but what will it cause.  Everyone action we as humans make has a good and a bad effect.  It scares me to think about the bad effect of cloning humans, what it would do, what they would do. 

I just hope they FULLY research all possibilities of disaster that could come with Cloning Humans, and also expect that the one thing you don't find during research will probably reap disastrous consequences. 
RE: Human Cloned by gif83 on 05-25-2005 at 08:31 PM

quote:

how?
RE: Human Cloned by mwe99 on 05-25-2005 at 08:47 PM

Well for example, say you have a defective gene... if you clone the human and replace the defective gene with a synthesised one, therefore the defective gene will be corrected... hard part is getting it to accept the new gene...

RE: Human Cloned by s7a5 on 05-25-2005 at 09:58 PM

gen code (DNA) is like bios to me :D

RE: RE: Human Cloned by rav0 on 05-26-2005 at 07:52 AM

Note that Dolly (the name given to a clone sheep) the sheep died young, though the scientists didn't get that in the news.

quote:
They can have a central nervous system, they just can't have a brain. Not a fully-developed one anyway.
The nerves in your neck/spine are just an extension of your brain. There is debate over where one ends and  the other begins.

quote:
Originally posted by gif83
quote:

how?

I think Absorbation meant cloning stem cells.

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Well for example, say you have a defective gene... if you clone the human and replace the defective gene with a synthesised one, therefore the defective gene will be corrected... hard part is getting it to accept the new gene...

Then it isn't a clone. Also, every cell in your body has a copy of your DNA. It isnt possible to just change it, because all the other cells will continue to keep your original DNA.
RE: Human Cloned by RaceProUK on 05-26-2005 at 08:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
every cell in your body has a copy of your DNA
Except red blood cells, as they don't have a nucleus.
</pedantic>
RE: Human Cloned by mad_onion on 05-26-2005 at 09:35 AM

there is nothing you can do with a full grown clone that you cant do with stem cells. thats why it will never happen on a large scale so there isnt much point worrying about it. it will happen a few times to prove we can do it but not loads

RE: Human Cloned by flame_head1313 on 06-08-2005 at 06:41 AM

ya but the thing is that technolgy is advancing so much these days that it'll be 30% one day and 90% the next and I disagree clones should be treated as human begings they may have not been born in the correct way but they are still human

RE: Human Cloned by L. Coyote on 06-08-2005 at 07:30 AM

Successfully cloning a human might never happen (and I have nothing against human cloning, I actually like the idea). But stem cells are a good thing that must happen if we want to cure people.

No one cares about the rats and other animals that scientifics kill each year. Why should we care for a couple of cells? A baby is not 60+ cells, IMO. 8-)