Shoutbox

Delete... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Delete... (/showthread.php?tid=45184)

Delete... by Nathan on 05-23-2005 at 08:57 PM

Hiya everyone
i got win xp but when something went wrong with it i installed another one but now when i boot my pc it has two xps y is this and how can i delete 1 of them
thanks in adave (i no uull help me cos everyones kool:) )

RE: Delete... by SikStyles on 05-23-2005 at 09:11 PM

heh..i had that too..it doesnt really matter if u delete it or not..it doesnt have any affect on ur computer

RE: Delete... by mwe99 on 05-23-2005 at 09:12 PM

if you want to uninstall it, try to find the newest version and uninstall the older one.

RE: Delete... by Nathan on 05-23-2005 at 09:12 PM

it does cos one of my hd is acting as master when its not and its got no mem left

RE: Delete... by mwe99 on 05-23-2005 at 09:16 PM

I read this from a site:

code:
I would suggest a final clean install and learning to use System Restore (in control panel, system) system recovery (choosing repair from booting from the XP cd) or making an image of your hard drive with Acronis True Image or Nortons Ghost.

RE: Delete... by Nathan on 05-23-2005 at 09:21 PM

and wot does that mean ^o) lol well the problem is that i cannot find away to get rid of it im on the new one now i think i put a thread in about a error in my old version something to do with a pirated copy
but is there a simple way of doing or is there someone willing to guide me through it i would be soooooo grateful

RE: Delete... by SikStyles on 05-23-2005 at 09:23 PM

there is a way to delete it but i cant remember how and my cousin knows..so dont give up cuz there is a simple way

RE: Delete... by Nathan on 05-23-2005 at 09:34 PM

thanks everyone for supporting me

RE: Delete... by Caboose on 05-23-2005 at 09:38 PM

Right click My Computer & select Properties / select the Advanced tab / under Startup and Recovery, click Settings / Choose what OS you're using from the drop down box, but make sure you know what one it is, then uncheck Time to display list of operating systems

Ta-da! No more option when you start up your computer :)

RE: Delete... by Nathan on 05-23-2005 at 09:41 PM

will that delete it though
clever way though

RE: Delete... by Caboose on 05-23-2005 at 09:43 PM

Well, it won't delete it, but you won't be bothered by the option >_>

If you want to delete the other Windows installation, just delete the other Windows folder... that's what I did and it was fine. Just be a little careful though (Y)

RE: Delete... by CookieRevised on 05-23-2005 at 09:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
Right click My Computer & select Properties / select the Advanced tab / under Startup and Recovery, click Settings / Choose what OS you're using from the drop down box, but make sure you know what one it is, then uncheck Time to display list of operating systems

Ta-da! No more option when you start up your computer :)
ermmm.. that does not remove anything from your computer... That only removes the menu entry in a possible boot menu to choose your OS from. The OS will still be there

RE: Delete... by Nathan on 05-23-2005 at 09:49 PM

so could someone run me through how to delte xp then plz

RE: Delete... by CookieRevised on 05-23-2005 at 09:58 PM

Did you install the redundant XP on a seperate partition?

If so start up in your main XP (the one that you wanna keep) and:

1) Simply format the partition of the XP you want to be gone (provided it is not your bootup partition of course!!!).
Or...
Delete all the related Windows files and folders from the redundant partition. And don't forget the files in the root directory either (provided it is not your bootup partition of course!!!).

2) After that edit you boot.ini file if there are two menu entries in it, like Caboose said.

But be extremely carefull you don't delete/format anything wrong!

RE: Delete... by Nathan on 05-23-2005 at 10:16 PM

im probaly bieng noobish but how do u get up the boot ini thing
and wot do u mean by redundant
soz if im being a noob
oh and...
oh and for some reason my big hard drive is F and my small one is C y is this and how can  i change this

RE: Delete... by CookieRevised on 05-23-2005 at 10:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
im probaly bieng noobish but how do u get up the boot ini thing
Like Caboose told you a few posts back...
(and like I already told you: )
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
After that edit you boot.ini file if there are two menu entries in it, like Caboose said.

quote:
and wot do u mean by redundant
The one to delete

quote:
oh and for some reason my big hard drive is F and my small one is C y is this and how can  i change this
You already asked this question in "info on hard drive" and we already said that you can't simply change it without breaking many programs and stuff...

----------

With all respect but I very very strongly suggest you to ask someone to do all this for you seeing all your (previous) questions on these forums...

It needs some knowledge of Windows to do this in a proper way!
RE: Delete... by Nathan on 05-23-2005 at 10:24 PM

ok thanks guys (and chicks if theres some lol)