Shoutbox

Opening avi files with unknown codecs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Opening avi files with unknown codecs (/showthread.php?tid=45280)

Opening avi files with unknown codecs by Millenium_edition on 05-25-2005 at 04:26 PM

Well, I have downloaded a little clip from the internet... Thing is, it said I needed DivX & AC3, which I have downloaded.

Now, the problem is:

• Selecting it with windows explorer causes explorer.exe to use all my CPU.
  • Opening it with WMP gives me the "error while opening, you need more codecs" error.
  • DivX player just doesn't respond and doesn't close until you terminate the process.
  • Winamp just stays stopped if you Play it.

Has anyone gotten an idea? I know it says DC50 as codec tag (someone sent me an app to see this), but I already installed DivX :S
RE: Opening avi files with unknown codecs by .blade// on 05-25-2005 at 04:41 PM

Sounds like it's corrupt and/or not a real AVI file. Try converting it with some kind of video converter such as 3GP Converter and if that crashes or doesn't work then I'd give up :P

RE: Opening avi files with unknown codecs by Millenium_edition on 05-25-2005 at 04:43 PM

hmmm, codecs packs & videolan are no use either... it's probably corrupt :sad: thanks anyway =(

RE: Opening avi files with unknown codecs by Chris4 on 05-25-2005 at 04:55 PM

what is the file extension?

filename.extension

RE: Opening avi files with unknown codecs by Millenium_edition on 05-25-2005 at 04:56 PM

here you go:

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
Opening avi files with unknown codecs

RE: Opening avi files with unknown codecs by ddunk on 05-25-2005 at 09:55 PM

A nice little program called AVICodec, open it up and select your video file, see what codecs it wants.

RE: Opening avi files with unknown codecs by Zephyr on 05-25-2005 at 10:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
  A nice little program called AVICodec, open it up and select your video file, see what codecs it wants.

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
I know it says DC50 as codec tag (someone sent me an app to see this)

He already knows the codec.
RE: Opening avi files with unknown codecs by rctempire on 05-25-2005 at 10:20 PM

If videolan doesnt render the file, it has to be corrupt.
Also i would suggest looking into uninstalling various players you have such as DivX as Media Player Classic and VLC player will actually play the files a lot better than divx player or WMP.