Shoutbox

Linux live cd - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Linux live cd (/showthread.php?tid=45320)

Linux live cd by Lou on 05-26-2005 at 10:55 AM

Who has a linux system running on live cd? If you could just send it all to me by email in one file instead of my having to download everyfile one by one...thanks.

RE: Linux live cd by John Anderton on 05-26-2005 at 11:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
Who has a linux system running on live cd? If you could just send it all to me by email in one file instead of my having to download everyfile one by one...thanks.
Is that allowed ??
Linux was originally free ... then i heard that some company (Sun or something) bought it :S So u'd have to buy the cd but it was free to edit ... (open sourced)
Wassup with linux ??
RE: Linux live cd by saralk on 05-26-2005 at 11:19 AM

Linux is open source, that means that you can edit the software, and redistibute it as much as you want. Sun probably created one distro that you must buy

RE: Linux live cd by rav0 on 05-26-2005 at 11:36 AM

Linux is an open source, free operating system. It is licensed under GNU General Public License. To clarify, there are many distributions (distros) of Linux, and most are free.

Some are free, but come with support from paid staff and bundled applications if you buy it. For example, Mandriva Linux.

Sun may have made a distribution, and decided to not release it for free (ncnd), but that doesn't happen often. Usually, Linux distros can be modified an distributed freely.

RE: Linux live cd by -dt- on 05-26-2005 at 12:27 PM

go here (knoppix.org) click on the download link then select a mirror that will give you one .iso file which you burn to a cd and boot off of.

RE: Linux live cd by Dempsey on 05-26-2005 at 12:28 PM

quote:

http://www.knoppix.org/
I've used Knoppix Live thats good.  But download the iso not indivdual files and i think its too big for your email to handle
RE: Linux live cd by buzz on 05-26-2005 at 07:46 PM

just download the dsl live cd it shouldnt take that long

RE: Linux live cd by RaceProUK on 05-26-2005 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Sun may have made a distribution
I can see you guys haven't heard about Sun Solaris, Sun Microsystems proprietary Unix-alike. AFAIK, Sun have never compoiled a Linux distro: why would they when they have their own OS project?
RE: Linux live cd by Lou on 05-26-2005 at 09:09 PM

edit: I found on an ftp server that has a few .iso.... Ill see how this works thanks guys

RE: Linux live cd by Stigmata on 05-26-2005 at 09:14 PM

you can order free ubuntu CD's from the website ;)

RE: Linux live cd by Lou on 05-26-2005 at 09:20 PM

1. Too lazy to fill out an order form
2. if it costs, I got no money
3. I dont want to wait for it
    a. If they even ship all the way here

4. Does anyone have an image from a linux cd that I could use for my cd sticker?

RE: Linux live cd by Stigmata on 05-26-2005 at 09:33 PM

quote:
1. Too lazy to fill out an order form
2. if it costs, I got no money
3. I dont want to wait for it
    a. If they even ship all the way here

4. Does anyone have an image from a linux cd that I could use for my cd sticker?

1. my god your worse then wdz, too lazy to recieve something for free
2. Nope completely free
3. Well your guna have to :S
     a, Its not like you live near the antartic :S
4. iso image? or plain picture?
RE: Linux live cd by Concord Dawn on 05-26-2005 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
Sun may have made a distribution
I can see you guys haven't heard about Sun Solaris, Sun Microsystems proprietary Unix-alike. AFAIK, Sun have never compoiled a Linux distro: why would they when they have their own OS project?

I thought it was called SolarisSparc, but alright. I know that Sun made their own OS, since my dad has a VNC connected to a bunch of machines with different OSes, Solaris being one of them. He's got Win2000 Advanced Server, Redhat Linux, and Mac I believe. It's really cool since I played around on all the different OSes.
[/offtopic]

Go download a Linux distro and dual-boot. If you don't like it, delete it. That's what I suggest. But I also suggest asking around to see what distro's people use and why they like them.
RE: Linux live cd by Lou on 05-26-2005 at 11:58 PM

I decided to use a version that installs onto windows and runs like a program...to see how that works...anyone currently doing that? Maybe some feedback?

RE: Linux live cd by Hank on 05-27-2005 at 01:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
ubuntu

another ubuntu  user, it aint what fedora is,, bleeding edge software, its package management is based on Debain, 
distro's can be found here http://distrowatch.com/

quote:
I decided to use a version that installs onto windows and runs like a program...to see how that works...anyone currently doing that? Maybe some feedback?
are you using Win 4Lin? or Linspire?
RE: RE: Linux live cd by rav0 on 05-27-2005 at 01:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
quote:
are you using Win 4Lin? or Linspire?

Linspire doesn't do that, Linspire is a distro that is amazingly similar to Windows, AFAIK.
RE: Linux live cd by DJeX on 05-27-2005 at 02:22 AM

[OFF-TOPIC]

I have a few questions about linux.

Is the linux coding language hard to learn or is it simular to C++?
If I run it off a CD can I still save files to the HD?
How well does it run off the CD?

RE: Linux live cd by segosa on 05-27-2005 at 07:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
[OFF-TOPIC]

It is C++ (well, C) and behaves exactly the same way to on Windows (at least when it comes to commandline apps, don't know about windowed ones). And obviously Java is the same, and Perl.. Python.. etc.
RE: Linux live cd by Dempsey on 05-27-2005 at 08:50 AM

quote:
WinLinux?  Those are a good way to test out linux, but if you like it, its adisible to install it asa dual boot in its own partition.
RE: Linux live cd by RaceProUK on 05-27-2005 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
quote:
[OFF-TOPIC]

It is C++ (well, C) and behaves exactly the same way to on Windows (at least when it comes to commandline apps, don't know about windowed ones). And obviously Java is the same, and Perl.. Python.. etc.
Remember though: unless you have Wine and WineX installed, you can't run your Windows programs on Linux.
As for Linux-native windowed apps, they can use one of a number of toolkits. They all use X Windows as some point, but they can also use GTK+ or Qt, among others, to siaplify building GUIs.
RE: RE: Linux live cd by rav0 on 05-27-2005 at 10:02 AM

quote:

Absolutely. (Providing that it knows your file system. I have never heard of Linux not recognising a file system before, it came to mind when I was authoring this reply.)

quote:
How well does it run off the CD?

It will most definately boot slower, but if you have a lot of RAM, it should be responsive enough. This is just a hypothesis, I have never booted Linux from CD.

It is not hard to install Mandriva into an environment which already has Windows installed. A bootloader for dual booting is automatically setup for you.
RE: RE: RE: Linux live cd by Dempsey on 05-27-2005 at 10:07 AM

quote:
quote:

Absolutely. (Providing that it knows your file system. I have never heard of Linux not recognising a file system before, it came to mind when I was authoring this reply.)

It can view FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS filesystems, but cant save files to a NTFS disk, AFAIK, at least with the distros of linux ive used
RE: Linux live cd by RaceProUK on 05-27-2005 at 10:21 AM

It can read/write any FAT filesystem, but can only read NTFS. However, there are some modules floating around that can write NTFS too.

RE: Linux live cd by Ezra on 05-27-2005 at 11:25 AM

The newest Knoppix can write NTFS too

RE: RE: Linux live cd by rav0 on 05-27-2005 at 12:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
The newest Knoppix can write NTFS too

Any info about NTFS in Mandriva?
RE: Linux live cd by Apatik on 05-27-2005 at 02:25 PM

eeer... are you sure that knoppix can write on ntfs? :-/

i don't know any linux kernel supporting ntfs writing *-)

knoppix.org says : "swapping on ntfs should work", not "writing on ntfs should work"...

edit : it seems that a ntfs filesystem for linux exists finally lol...
http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

RE: Linux live cd by buzz on 05-27-2005 at 08:20 PM

quote:
It will most definately boot slower, but if you have a lot of RAM, it should be responsive enough. This is just a hypothesis, I have never booted Linux from CD.
its not right, it runs perfectly i use damn small linux and umbuntu off cd and nothings wrong with it...but then again i have a good cd  drive...just a tip for u when u brun the cd make sure u burn it as a cd image
RE: Linux live cd by DJeX on 05-28-2005 at 12:10 AM

Does WinLinux work with XP?

EDIT: Never mnd it don't

Does any one know of a Linux that runs in Windows that works with XP?

RE: Linux live cd by ddunk on 05-28-2005 at 12:26 AM

You can get Vmware workstation(www.vmware.com) and install a liunux distro on that.

RE: Linux live cd by Hank on 05-28-2005 at 01:54 AM

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-ntfs/

RE: Linux live cd by Dempsey on 05-29-2005 at 09:34 PM

quote:

A list of quite a few Live CDs: http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
RE: Linux live cd by Lou on 05-29-2005 at 11:57 PM

Ive had a few problems booting from cd...all I get is : somerthing went wrong, reboot, use last working settings, safe mode....

RE: Linux live cd by buzz on 05-30-2005 at 12:02 AM

mm its cuz ur not burning it properly u need to burn the image...to make things easy i reccomend u dl the trial for magic iso maker....only problem with the trial is that the thing need to be under 300mb....so you could get umm damn small linux, slax linux umm cant think of any other but im sure there are....

RE: Linux live cd by Hank on 05-30-2005 at 01:12 AM

quote:
Ive had a few problems booting from cd...all I get is : somerthing went wrong, reboot, use last working settings, safe mode....

BIOS Update?
RE: Linux live cd by Lou on 05-31-2005 at 12:54 AM

do I really want to flash it? its really old I know thta...could use a little help but Im not crazy enough to flash it and anyone I know that could do it would charge, my dad wont pay and Im saving up right now so I cant

RE: Linux live cd by RaceProUK on 05-31-2005 at 07:40 AM

You shouldn't need to do a BIOS update. If your PC can boot from CD, then flashing the BIOS won't change anything.
Is it an error when it's actually booting Linux? If so, then it's something wrong with the setup stored on the CD, not the BIOS.