Shoutbox

Messenger takes time to display email notice - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Messenger takes time to display email notice (/showthread.php?tid=45337)

Messenger takes time to display email notice by Reaper on 05-26-2005 at 07:49 PM

I have noticed recently that if i recieve an email while my messenger is on its takes a long time for it to display a notification saying i have recieved a message. im not sure whether its the servers or sumthin lyk that or if its sumthin on my part. any suggestions?

RE: Messenger takes time to display email notice by mwe99 on 05-26-2005 at 07:53 PM

Mine does exactly the same, i think it was a server errror and had been discussed (by me) a while ago.

RE: Messenger takes time to display email notice by CookieRevised on 05-26-2005 at 07:57 PM

It is normal (at least can be normal). Just like Plus! it is well possible that MSN Messenger does not check constantly for emails, but only checks with an interval of x seconds. This even would make sense, as it will give a serious overhead on the mailservers if new mail is checked upon constantly...

RE: Messenger takes time to display email notice by RaceProUK on 05-26-2005 at 08:04 PM

I didn't think Messenger polled the server. The server instead sends the notifications to Messenger, reducing bandwidth and resource needs to the minimum.

Remember: it's all integrated.

RE: Messenger takes time to display email notice by CookieRevised on 05-26-2005 at 08:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
I didn't think Messenger polled the server. The server instead sends the notifications to Messenger, reducing bandwidth and resource needs to the minimum.

Remember: it's all integrated.
yeah, I thought it would be possible for this also, but I'm not sure. Hence (at least can be normal)... if the mail server is polled.

If it is not, and a notification is send from the server like you think it is, then it could still be normal though; if there is a "traffic jam" (aka peak) in received mails, there would be a cueue and not all mail notifications would be delivered on time...
RE: Messenger takes time to display email notice by Reaper on 05-26-2005 at 08:11 PM

ohh ok so its nuthin to do with me then. thats all good :D
thanx people