Shoutbox

Server Linux Distro - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Server Linux Distro (/showthread.php?tid=45351)

Server Linux Distro by Concord Dawn on 05-26-2005 at 10:38 PM

Favourite Linux distro for server? I'm looking for one as I will be replacing one of my old computer with a new one and I'll be using the old one as a Linux server. I'm *not* looking for a GUI (ex. Gnome or KDE).

Note: Flame and I'll send the moderators after you. That is all.

RE: Server Linux Distro by segosa on 05-27-2005 at 07:11 AM

I like Ubuntu's server install, you get no X window system, and no crappy default packages allowing you to configure it how you want. And you can't go wrong with apt-get :P

RE: Server Linux Distro by Hank on 05-27-2005 at 09:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
like Ubuntu's server install, you get no X window system, and no crappy default packages allowing you to configure it how you want. And you can't go wrong with apt-get

you can customize Redhat/fedora anyway you like during install,  you can use apt-get in redhat/fedora you can use Yum in redhat/fedora, 
RE: Server Linux Distro by RaceProUK on 05-27-2005 at 10:05 AM

There's a site somewhere that allows you to fully customise a distro to your liking, kinda like going to Subway.
All you'll need is:
- Kernel
- Bash
- Apache
- Apache's modules that you want
;)

RE: Server Linux Distro by Chris.1 on 05-27-2005 at 11:53 AM

I've been using SuSE as a server for a long time - I've recently switched it to a GUI and using it as a desktop and server.

RE: Server Linux Distro by user2319 on 05-29-2005 at 01:44 PM

Debian-like distro. Like Ubuntu's server install, as Segosa suggested.

RE: Server Linux Distro by Veggie on 05-29-2005 at 04:01 PM

I have a server running on win 98 (yeah i know:() this was only a temporary thing as i needed it for my coursework, i might try a linux server next, are there any distros with apahche,php,mysql?

RE: Server Linux Distro by user2319 on 05-29-2005 at 05:56 PM

Almost all of them have apache, php, mysql. Try Ubuntu's server install, as Segosa suggested, or some other Debian distro.

RE: Server Linux Distro by segosa on 05-30-2005 at 06:04 AM

Even if they don't, then you apt-get them (or manually wget) and rtfm :p