Shoutbox

powersupply - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: powersupply (/showthread.php?tid=45356)

powersupply by Savior on 05-27-2005 at 01:29 AM

Hi,

I wanna know I have a 230w power supply right now and whenever I do any type of gaming or anything really stressfull on my PC like a movies and games I hear the fan going and it's really loud.  Does that mean that the power supply is going or do I just need one with 300w supply or larger?  I have a compaq high tower PC

Thanks for the help

RE: powersupply by RaceProUK on 05-27-2005 at 10:07 AM

It means the system is getting a little overheated, so maybe a new PSU would help. Go for as much power as you can afford.

Does the fan noise come from the PSU itself?

RE: powersupply by user13774 on 05-27-2005 at 10:15 AM

It could also be your CPU fan I guess...

RE: powersupply by rav0 on 05-27-2005 at 12:03 PM

Your computer has automatic fan control features. Some motherboards (and PSUs) include this feature. It means that when the CPU (or case or PSU) is cooler, because of a light load the fan speed is dropped by lowering the voltage fed to the fan.

My Asus motherboard lowers CPU fan speed when my reported CPU temperature is lower. Some Antec PSUs drop the voltage to certain outputs which are meant for fans.

If your power supply has worked until now, it most likely isn't just dieing on you. If you haven't noticed the fan loudening before, it is probably because you have newer, more CPU-intensive applications/games, or maybe just you use things with less sound now.

If you are really worried, just take your computer to your local computer shop, and ask them to have a look at it for you. (If your PSU makes a rumbling noise, not a whirring noise, be worried. I am taking my computer to ARC Computers tomorrow for that reason.)

RE: powersupply by Savior on 05-27-2005 at 01:18 PM

it's 1 ghz processor yes it is.  I put my hand on the back of the power supply and it is blowing air in and our really loudly.  It's not a rumbling noise it's just like a loud blowing noise.

RE: powersupply by Pyroteq on 05-27-2005 at 01:40 PM

I think your PSU Is reacting to the heat, and speeding up your fan. While thats probly nothing too big i would recomend you get a higher quality (and larger capacity) psu

RE: powersupply by Savior on 05-27-2005 at 03:01 PM

300W should do fine right?

RE: powersupply by Pyroteq on 05-27-2005 at 03:18 PM

well if the 230 is what your running now and you dont have any power problems then yeah, it should be fine.

If noise is your worry, go with a SilenX power supply.
If power and quality is your worry then go with an Antec TruePower. (although in saying that there are many other very good supplys out there)
If you just want a cheapie, go down to your local computer hardware store and you can pick one up for $20-30 That will save your psu stressing to put out that extra power, but your noise will stay the same.

RE: powersupply by Savior on 05-27-2005 at 04:53 PM

I'm having no power issues just noise is the issue, It annoys the hell out of me.  I have a few laying around the house that work fine I think they are 300w ones.  But since I have a compaq does that matter when replacing a power supply or any brand will do?

thanks

RE: powersupply by buzz on 05-27-2005 at 07:14 PM

mmm before you buy anything out should try to just clean the dust off the fan....dont blow the dust into the computer tho. This was a problem with me(the dust on fan) i cleaned it and it sounded normal again

RE: powersupply by SikStyles on 05-27-2005 at 07:37 PM

it also cud be like the the faster the fan is goin the louder it gets and that means that the sound is bouncing off from the walls..lets say u put an alarm clock in a pot..see it makes much louder noise when its normally outside..this mite also be the prob and i dunno u cud help doin this..maybe the bearing in the fan is messed up or its just missin a little lubricant

RE: powersupply by Savior on 05-27-2005 at 08:18 PM

thanks.  I will try to blow it out and see what happens.  I'm not planning to buy another power supply i have a few extra ones lying around I can swap