Shoutbox

McAfee Personal Firewall Plus - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: McAfee Personal Firewall Plus (/showthread.php?tid=45404)

McAfee Personal Firewall Plus by Weyzza on 05-27-2005 at 09:49 PM

Ok,

My sister just bought a laptop, and that firewall came with it.

I want to know what makes this firewall better than ZoneAlarm.
So anyone who hasn't tried this program please don't post any comments :)

So far, I go more downsides than good thing.
1. It doesn't block some applications.
2. It always puts Microsoft's instances in allow list.
3. I cannot make it always asks me if I want to grant internet access everytime I run a program.

RE: McAfee Personal Firewall Plus by rix on 05-28-2005 at 10:12 AM

Some while ago I used McAfee and im satisfied with it. Although it slows down older PCs, McAfee has won many prizes and few years ago it was announced as the most safest antivirus & firewall in the world. How stable and protective it is now, I cannot tell you. And also...unlike Nod32, McAfee receives updates quite rarely.

And it always asked me what would I like to do with unsafe file. And also there was option to turn on automatic access. Atleast in older version...

RE: McAfee Personal Firewall Plus by saralk on 05-28-2005 at 10:49 AM

I use McAffe, its pretty good. The only thing I find bad with it is that it has an advert blocker, but doesn't block nearly as many adverts as Norton did.

RE: McAfee Personal Firewall Plus by Anubis on 05-28-2005 at 11:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
I cannot make it always asks me if I want to grant internet access everytime I run a program.

quote:
1. It doesn't block some applications.

quote:
2. It always puts Microsoft's instances in allow list.

All three of those have to do with the settings that have been chosen at the installation of the firewall. McAfee has an option that allows itself to be able to allow applications it has listed as safe in it's database. All those will be allowed.
If you want it to manually always ask you if you want it to allow a program access to the internet do the following;

McAfee Security Centre > McAfee personal firewall plus > Utilities > Alert Settings > At the bottom there is a drop down box with three options;
Do not use Smart Recommendations
Display Smart Recommendations only
Use Smart Recommendations

If you choose do not use Smart Recommendations every time a program tries to access the internet you can choose to allow it or block it.

If you choose Display Smart Recommendations only it will ask you if you want to allow or block the program trying to access the internet. But it will also tell you if McAfee recognises the program as safe, unknown, or dangerous. This is the option most pick, since it's nice to have the choice and a second opinion.

Then there's the option you most likely have selected "Use Smart Recommendations". This will block dangerous programs instantly, allow the ones it thinks is safe, and asks you about the ones it's clueless about.

Pick the option you want for your needs, then click OK.