Shoutbox

Forum Needs some Changing? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Forum Needs some Changing? (/showthread.php?tid=45506)

Forum Needs some Changing? by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-30-2005 at 11:57 AM

Well here we go again, I've been trying to ask about this along time ago, but now I decided to give it one more try...

I see a lot of posts complaining about this forum being bad beacuse of useless spam and junk...
Well... Why is it that people are not allowed to spam in the T&T?... Isn't that really the purpose of that Subforum? Or am I being all wrong here?... The posts are deletede each day, and the post count doesn't go up... Then why complain about people spamming there?...

Well... I'm also feeling that the forum lags of "Places/Corners", for the induvidual things being talked about... I'm especially talking about the Plugins Section (This is also mainly the place where I read/post)... I would REALLY like to see the plugins section being more divided into groups... I'm getting really pissed about the many wasted hours of reading the same questions about a plugin over and over again, and the same requests etc.... Can't we divide this into more categories(3-5)... Examples could be:
- Help (Help with plugins, errors, not working, "the n00bs" area.. etc.)
- Creation (The place where the plugin creators could talk and exchange information, and new plugin creators can learn how to do plugins and get help etc...)...
- Release (Where the plugin creators release their work and beta's, and get feedback from others, not intended to the usual "can't make it work" threads... Only for Releasing/Beta Testing, feedback etc)
- Request (Here people can request new plugins or ask if this has been created)...

Maybe Release and Request could be in one, who knows, up to the Admins of this forum to decide...
But I really think this would clean up the forum... If a "noob" signs up to the forum to ask a  quesiton about a problem with a plugin, he goes to Help section and he might notice that one of the Top posts are exactly about this particular plugin or problem...
This way we(The plugin creators) will also have a far better chance of devoting our time to the creation of our plugins and to concentrate more on what we are doing, yes I know this forum also ae about helping people, but I think there is a fair deal of helpers out there compared to how many plugin creators there are, and if the plugin creators have to spend much of their time on Helping others the time before a release will raise suffeciently...
I'm not just talking about the plugins section, but in generally I think we need to split the Forum some more... (not meaning splitting the community, but to divide the sections some more)... Right now there are around 150000 posts on this forum, divided in only 10/11 Subs!!!..
We need some more orginisation in this forum, I think this would greatly improve the quality of this forum...
Yes, there would be a problem with the "old posts".. But just leave them where they are and create the new subs now... That would at least be a start...

I hope my post is clear and gets through to someone????

I have added a poll, hopefully this will give all users a chance to vote and show what their thoughts about this is... Hopefully this would catch the attention of some Mods/Patchou... I hope I gave this poll some fair choices...

Thanks for listening everbody!.. Please give any feedbacks (As long as it sticks with the Thread, Please don't go to much offtopic)

<offtopic> :P...
Post 400... Lol!! :S..
</offtopic>

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by Anubis on 05-30-2005 at 12:04 PM

I've been thinking similar for a while actually.

Subforums are only visible inside other forums.
I think you're talking like forums inside as section like "Forum & Website" is inside a General section. However "Poll Centre" is a subforum of General Chit Chat.
The main difference is subforums aren't visible on the front page, which makes them less useful to "noobs", who won't bother looking into these places.

In Messenger & Technology I'd like to see a;
MSN/Windows Messenger Support forum

However, I wouldn't like to see it lead to forums being made for individual plugins, which just gets to be a pain (I'm thinking StuffPlug mainly).

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by absorbation on 05-30-2005 at 12:06 PM

I like the plugin idea becuase ive just speant ages looking for plugins to add to my database (Y)

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by ~INVASION~ on 05-30-2005 at 12:06 PM

i actually like your idea :)

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by absorbation on 05-30-2005 at 12:07 PM

Yeah sup forums could be made which will help even more. e.g in plugins, msg genral talk and msn/ messenger talk :)

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by user27089 on 05-30-2005 at 12:10 PM

Personally I really like the idea, whether or not it happens though is over to WDZ and the other administrators of this forum. It would definitely help to avoid any confusion for the newer members and the older members of this forum, definitely tidy it up a lot.

I'm not sure about any other tidying up though, I think that only sorting out the plugins section would suffice.

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by -dt- on 05-30-2005 at 12:13 PM

I personaly think its a bad idea , the forums have enough subforums to cover each aspect of what this forum talks about , and you do know there is a thing called "messenger plus! plugin database" which i dont know if its just me but look for plugins there? insted of having a subforum for it. BUT i feel the user dosnt have enough controll over that webpage , I think after it gets accepted the auther of the plugin can update his plugin for each version/remove his plugin insted of emailing frasie each time.

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-30-2005 at 12:21 PM

Nice.. :D.. I see great supporting in my suggestion in only a few minuttes.. :D..
Yes Traxor, it's up to WDZ and the Admins, but if we can make him/them see positive on this subject we can convince him/them to do it.. ;)...

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Subforums are only visible inside other forums.
I think you're talking like forums inside as section like "Forum & Website" is inside a General section. However "Poll Centre" is a subforum of General Chit Chat.
The main difference is subforums aren't visible on the front page, which makes them less useful to "noobs", who won't bother looking into these places.

Yes I'm talking about the "greater" subforums... I would like to see the plugins section as a Main Forum, and under that have the subforums... But also the "smaller" subforums are a great idea... But yes, they make it harder for the "noobs" to find what they are looking because they don't look that "far" down... But a few more of these won't hurt... Maybe even StuffPlug could get it's own Subforum under Plugins --> Help... Etc...

quote:
However, I wouldn't like to see it lead to forums being made for individual plugins, which just gets to be a pain (I'm thinking StuffPlug mainly).
Well... Yes I see your point, but as a Subforum of a subforum Itm ight be a great idea to add a stuffplug, since there are so many posts out there about stuffplug problems/questions etc... So this might tidy the fourm a bit to have all these posts into the sub forum of the subforum of Plugins....
I hope you understand?.. I might draw a (badly drawn) picture in MSPaint later today...

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
I personaly think its a bad idea , the forums have enough subforums to cover each aspect of what this forum talks about , and you do know there is a thing called "messenger plus! plugin database" which i dont know if its just me but look for plugins there? insted of having a subforum for it. BUT i feel the user dosnt have enough controll over that webpage , I think after it gets accepted the auther of the plugin can update his plugin for each version/remove his plugin insted of emailing frasie each time.
The Messenger Plus! Plugin Database can't be compared at all with this forum... Beta's Should NEVER be released on the Database, the plugin creators wants to be able to release their plugins for testing without it going to the world wide public... We want to have a fair deal of control with what is going on... We don't suddenly want 1.000.000 people asking Why this plugin doesn't work... We want a place in this forum where we can quietly release out software to the few curious others here, and then when it's ready for public we can release it on the Database, but until it's stable nough for that we want to be able to make the others here on the forum try it out... But beacuse there are so many new posts and threads daily in the plugins section, projects are easily forgotten... Beacuse they "move down the line"... If we sorted this section soem more, we would have much more control of what is going on and properly cut the post count down to the half, since many of the posts/started threads are the same questions OVER AND OVER AGAIN.... I'm just getting tired of this.. I don't want to spend all my time skimming over the first 100 threads to get to a thread I care about... I am interessed in developong plugins and to test others projects.. That's all i'm here for.. I don't care if litle Peter has a problem running Stuffplug, that is not why i'm here.. I'm here to create things for the people and to be part of the programming community...
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by Anubis on 05-30-2005 at 12:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)

Well... Yes I see your point, but as a Subforum of a subforum Itm ight be a great idea to add a stuffplug
StuffPlug has it's own support forum though, and tidying up loads of old posts is a task that I doubt anyone will do, it'll take a long time to perfectly organise about 15,000 threads. And when the mods have to constantly organise threads to the exact perfect sub forum, it'll be hard. The people who want help usually just click on the first forum with the word "help" in, on the forums. Even if it's help for a plugin or MSN Messenger itself.

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
whether or not it happens though is over to WDZ and the other administrators of this forum
Yeah, we all know that, however without putting ideas forward, how will things get done.

<offtopic>
Speaking of things getting done. I just noticed this thread. In which it says the staff are deciding on a new moderator. Any light on that yet? 'Tis been over a month now.
</offtopic>
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-30-2005 at 01:00 PM

quote:
quote:

Well... Yes I see your point, but as a Subforum of a subforum Itm ight be a great idea to add a stuffplug
StuffPlug has it's own support forum though, and tidying up loads of old posts is a task that I doubt anyone will do, it'll take a long time to perfectly organise about 15,000 threads. And when the mods have to constantly organise threads to the exact perfect sub forum, it'll be hard. The people who want help usually just click on the first forum with the word "help" in, on the forums. Even if it's help for a plugin or MSN Messenger itself.
Ok, maybe not add Stuffplug as a Subforum etc.. But still.. The general idea of cleaning up the fourm a bit is really tempting...
Well.. I did state in my post that the "old posts" shoudln't be touched, just leave them as they are... But instead start buliding the new systems/subsforums... So in the future it will look good and be more tidy... But if we continue as we do now the problem will only get bigger and bigger... This needs action NOW... The old posts could just remain as they are now, and once in a while when a mod stumbles apon these threads they could move to them their new place, everything doesn't have to happen in 1 day, but if it is a long taking process then let it be a long taking process.... Rome wasn't build in one day either... :P..
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by -rafy- on 05-30-2005 at 01:25 PM

I'm all for this.

A Features & Ideas forum would be nice as well.

as well as dividing up MSN/window messger forum into a genral forum on it, and one for msn help.

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by jren207 on 05-30-2005 at 03:13 PM

I think it's a good idea. It means you can really find info on a plugin that you need instead of reading through thread pages about a plugin that have junk in them or nothing to do with a bug, which annoys me.

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by Millenium_edition on 05-30-2005 at 03:23 PM

to be quite honest, the forum has a search function. use it goddamnit.

allowing spam everywhere sucks.
and dividing the plugin forum is useless since there are like 15 new posts a day in the plugin forum? use the goddamn search if you can't find your post.

and i'm pretty sure it has been suggested before (example)

==> my vote goes to "useless"

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-30-2005 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
to be quite honest, the forum has a search function. use it goddamnit.

allowing spam everywhere sucks.
and dividing the plugin forum is useless since there are like 15 new posts a day in the plugin forum? use the goddamn search if you can't find your post.

and i'm pretty sure it has been suggested before (example)

==> my vote goes to "useless"
Why is it you can't see the need for this???.. I don't get it!???
Yes, the forum has a search function, but what use is it if new comers don't use that, and instead of looking after a thread about their same problem they just create a new... If we devided it up so problems/help would be in their own subforum it would be MUCH easier for newcomers to see and find there problems... They would just look at the top ten threads and if they find something they can use they read it, if not they post a new thread... but beacuse everything is mixed up into 1 subforum releases, requests, helps etc... The problems will not be in the top list of the subforum and the new comers will never see/notice that the threads are already created...
And how good is a search funtion if i'm looking for a plugin I don't know the name of or function of.. If I'm just looking for plugins to TEST not to USE.. I'm just looking for different plugins and get ideas etc... But with everything mixed up it becomes a pain in the ass to do this... And no you cannot use the Search funtion in this particular case...
Also for plugin creators that wants an idea of what to create.. Why can't there be a Request forum????... All the good ideas that have been proposed during the time of the forum are gone... They are still there, but why do I need to search for the word "Request" or "suggestion" and get 100000 hits because each request/suggestion have 50 replies...???.... It would be much easier and much more userfriendly if we divided things up instead of having everything mixed up into 1 bowl of junk...
Take a look at the msnfanatic forum... It's amazing... I love the way everything is delt in groups and subgroups... and the bigger projects have their own subgroups... Why does everything in this forum have to be into 11 subforums???.. I see no point in that.. This forum is to big for that kinda shit... We need to expand... We are not any longer just a forum that get 10 hits pay day... This is much more major... Why does everything have to stay the same old pile of shit...????... It's useless to spend some quality time around here since there are so many threads about "help me" or request.. And I have to skim that all time ignoring those that look uninterresing for me at the point... I want to be able to if I decide I want to help people, then go help people, if I want to check out releases I go check out release.. the other crap that I have to struggle my way through a lot of useless threads is a pain in the ass...
We all want some changing in this forum... We want people to be nice, we want people to bahave, and we want people to have a good time, then why do we keep haning in the same old "Compact" forum that we did 3 years ago?? (Well ok, 3 years ago the plugin section was not there and properly not some of the others).. But why don't you want to help the forum expand?.. I can't see thi point in that....
And if by a chance you take a look at the poll results you would notice (Even it's not yet a big number, but gives a general idea) that 11 out of 13 people have vote the "BIG YES"... This only shows that i'm not the only one that wants this to happen, and not just a part of the community but a GREAT part of the community agrees with me!... This has to say something!!!
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by Millenium_edition on 05-30-2005 at 05:08 PM

quote:
Yes, the forum has a search function, but what use is it if new comers don't use that, and instead of looking after a thread about their same problem they just create a new... If we devided it up so problems/help would be in their own subforum it would be MUCH easier for newcomers to see and find there problems... They would just look at the top ten threads and if they find something they can use they read it, if not they post a new thread... but beacuse everything is mixed up into 1 subforum releases, requests, helps etc... The problems will not be in the top list of the subforum and the new comers will never see/notice that the threads are already created...
do you honestly think people who don't search will look in the forum? :lol:
quote:
And how good is a search funtion if i'm looking for a plugin I don't know the name of or function of.. If I'm just looking for plugins to TEST not to USE.. I'm just looking for different plugins and get ideas etc... But with everything mixed up it becomes a pain in the ass to do this... And no you cannot use the Search funtion in this particular case...
search in msgplus general talk for "suggestion"
holy shit :o
quote:
Also for plugin creators that wants an idea of what to create.. Why can't there be a Request forum????... All the good ideas that have been proposed during the time of the forum are gone... They are still there, but why do I need to search for the word "Request" or "suggestion" and get 100000 hits because each request/suggestion have 50 replies...???.... It would be much easier and much more userfriendly if we divided things up instead of having everything mixed up into 1 bowl of junk...
group results by thread, and you have your thing :-/
quote:
Take a look at the msnfanatic forum... It's amazing... I love the way everything is delt in groups and subgroups... and the bigger projects have their own subgroups... Why does everything in this forum have to be into 11 subforums???.. I see no point in that.. This forum is to big for that kinda shit... We need to expand... We are not any longer just a forum that get 10 hits pay day... This is much more major... Why does everything have to stay the same old pile of shit...????... It's useless to spend some quality time around here since there are so many threads about "help me" or request.. And I have to skim that all time ignoring those that look uninterresing for me at the point... I want to be able to if I decide I want to help people, then go help people, if I want to check out releases I go check out release.. the other crap that I have to struggle my way through a lot of useless threads is a pain in the ass...
ffs, msnfanatic is a developer's forum, this is a SUPPORT FORUM. msnfanatic HOSTS projects. no wonder they get their own subforum.
quote:
We all want some changing in this forum... We want people to be nice, we want people to bahave, and we want people to have a good time, then why do we keep haning in the same old "Compact" forum that we did 3 years ago?? (Well ok, 3 years ago the plugin section was not there and properly not some of the others).. But why don't you want to help the forum expand?.. I can't see thi point in that....
And if by a chance you take a look at the poll results you would notice (Even it's not yet a big number, but gives a general idea) that 11 out of 13 people have vote the "BIG YES"... This only shows that i'm not the only one that wants this to happen, and not just a part of the community but a GREAT part of the community agrees with me!... This has to say something!!!
two out of them code plugins... "this has to say something!!!" :rolleyes:

sorry, but if it's just because you couldn't be arsed, then you shoul set up your own forums and let people register there. this still remains a help forum and plugin threads are tolerated but not part of the core of the forum.
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by RaceProUK on 05-30-2005 at 05:21 PM

quote:
why do I need to search for the word "Request" or "suggestion" and get 100000 hits because each request/suggestion have 50 replies
Then search thread titles only :refuck:
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by Purity on 05-30-2005 at 07:22 PM

I don't like the idea of dividing the plugin forum that much, unless it's divided like: Plugin development and plugin suggestions(requests).

I would personally like to see a graphics forum.

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by CookieRevised on 05-30-2005 at 09:03 PM

The inital idea is good, and from some point of view (from the regular member who knows what is where and what should go where) it seems a nice idea and something which will solve many problems...

However.... In practice, even now I constantly report posts which are placed in wrong forums, double threads, and most of all linking to already existing threads. The situatie as it is now, is that people don't search anymore, cba to search, and that even many cba to make proper threads in the proper forums.

Dividing the forums a bit more isn't going to solve this, on the contrary, it is going to get worse. eg: the plugins section: your suggestions of subforums for this is nice, but will not work in practice. Even now, many plugin threads start by a suggestion, evolve into a release of a beta, and end in support for this plugin. Nobody (at least the majority) is going to bother to split this all up. And if they did, many questions or other important info is going to be cross posted. And nobody is going to bother reading 2-3 threads about the same plugin to get info before they ask in a 4th thread... In fact these things (and the not reading of  other related threads) happens right now already.

You gave many examples of what can be done, and in a certain way I like it. But on the other hand they aren't pratical... untill everybody learns how to make proper threads, what to place where, etc... etc...

Your suggestion is excellent for a database kind of thing where only a handfull of people can place stuff in it, not for a major site. You said: look at MSNFanatic, well, there are many, and I mean many, threads in different subsections, yet they are about the same subject... MSNFanatic has exactly the same problems we have here, and they do have all kind of subsections (where, tbh, a n00b wouldn't see the tree in the forest when he visists the first times)

However... all this said... I could see an addition of 1 or 2 new subforums and a decent split up/ordening of the subforums in "Messenger & Technolgoy" though. But this is already heavly discussed before. As for the Messenger Plus! related forums, I think there are more then enough (sub)subforums already, more will only confuse the visitor even more...

quote:
not much tbh (like so many polls) because, and this is going to sound even more arrogant but blah, I wonder how many people of the ones who voted can see the big picture of this and can imagine/know how it will work in practice and understand the full implications of something like this....

Don't get me wrong though, like I said, I like the idea too, if we lived in a perfect world... only in the real world, it will not be practical and isn't going to solve a thing, in fact it is going to make matters worse. It isn't as easy as it looks from the first point of view...

So my vote is:
"I like the theoretical idea, but in practice matters will get worse, so no"
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-30-2005 at 09:17 PM

Wow.. Some nice support going on here.. Even some of the "big" guys vote for yes!!! :D.. :P..
To name those that support until now, notice some of them being very respectable users of this forum and are "important members"...
-rafy-, Anubis, jren207, Juzzi, lp15, may73alliance, Melon, Mike2, monster.rat, Penderrin, Purity, Tasha, traxor, ~INVASION~

And those against it:
raceprouk, Tochjo, -dt-

I know this doesn't make this right, but if such a fair deal of users agreeing on this one then why don't listen the users?... It is thus those people that make sure there is a board, without all these users there would be no reason for a board right? We want democracy... :S (That sentece should properly not have been there...)... Hopefully WDZ or Patchou would drop by this thread and see it, comment on it... :D.. Maybe someone with more contact to the them could give them a hint to drop by?...

Anyways....

quote:
sorry, but if it's just because you couldn't be arsed, then you shoul set up your own forums and let people register there. this still remains a help forum and plugin threads are tolerated but not part of the core of the forum.
I just set this up in a few mins... I will have a domain ready during the next few days and the forum will be build properly, I just did a quick setup of the shit... :D..
CyBeRDuDe's MsgPlus! Plugins Forum
Anyways, would be nice if I didn't have to do this and host this on my crappy connection... Hopefully I will be able to move it sometime....

Edit: I hadn't seen your post...
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The inital idea is good, and from some point of view (from the regular member who knows what is where and what should go where) it seems a nice idea and something which will solve many problems...

However.... In practice, even now I constantly report posts which are placed in wrong forums, double threads, and most of all linking to already existing threads. The situatie as it is now, is that people don't search anymore, cba to search, and that even many cba to make proper threads in the proper forums.

Dividing the forums a bit more isn't going to solve this, on the contrary, it is going to get worse. eg: the plugins section: your suggestions of subforums for this is nice, but will not work in practice. Even now, many plugin threads start by a suggestion, evolve into a release of a beta, and end in support for this plugin. Nobody (at least the majority) is going to bother to split this all up. And if they did, many questions or other important info is going to be cross posted. And nobody is going to bother reading 2-3 threads about the same plugin to get info before they ask in a 4th thread... In fact these things (and the not reading of  other related threads) happens right now already.

You gave many examples of what can be done, and in a certain way I like it. But on the other hand they aren't pratical... untill everybody learns how to make proper threads, what to place where, etc... etc...

Your suggestion is excellent for a database kind of thing where only a handfull of people can place stuff in it, not for a major site. You said: look at MSNFanatic, well, there are many, and I mean many, threads in different subsections, yet they are about the same subject... MSNFanatic has exactly the same problems we have here, and they do have all kind of subsections (where, tbh, a n00b wouldn't see the tree in the forest when he visists the first times)

However... all this said... I could see an addition of 1 or 2 new subforums and a decent split up/ordening of the subforums in "Messenger & Technolgoy" though. But this is already heavly discussed before. As for the Messenger Plus! related forums, I think there are more then enough (sub)subforums already, more will only confuse the visitor even more...

quote:
not much tbh (like so many polls) because, and this is going to sound even more arrogant but blah, I wonder how many people of the ones who voted can see the big picture of this and can imagine/know how it will work in practice and understand the full implications of something like this....

Don't get me wrong though, like I said, I like the idea too, if we lived in a perfect world... only in the real world, it will not be practical and isn't going to solve a thing, in fact it is going to make matters worse. It isn't as easy as it looks from the first point of view...

So my vote is:
"I like the theoretical idea, but in practice matters will get worse, so no"
See this is the answer I was hoping(not hoping) to get... This has information in it, and explains why it should not in a reasonable manners... :D...
But I still can't see why we wouldn't be able to split the Plugins forum in sections/subs?... Just the 3?... Devoloper/Beta Releases(With the additonal text "This forum is not for Helping questions), Help/Errors etc(With the additional text "Here you can ask the community about your problems with a specific plugin etc..") and Requests/Is it possible(With the additional text "This is not intended for requests on extra features to a plugin but requests for the plugin creators to create a specific plugin, and to ask weather your idea is possible or not").. Or something similar..
You are correct that making lots of subs probably won't do good.. But I really think it would help SOOO much to just split a few of them in a few subs...
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by CookieRevised on 05-30-2005 at 10:31 PM

[SLITHLY OFFTOPIC]
[FILOSOPHICAL RANT]

quote:
I know this doesn't make this right, but if such a fair deal of users agreeing on this one then why don't listen the users?... It is thus those people that make sure there is a board, without all these users there would be no reason for a board right? We want democracy...
tbh, this just remembers me of what happend yesterday in France with the EU constitution voting. With it being a democracy, their was a public poll to vote for or against the constitution. It was decided a major big "nay".... Why? because most of the people voted "no" for the wrong reasons: most people don't even know what's in the constitution or what exactly they voted for and thus instead voted against the France governement...... Just to say that voting is all good and well, _if_ everybody knows what exactly they're voting on, what the implications are, what the big picture is, and not simply voting for an theortical "idea" (aka: it "sounds" good)...

MHO
[/FILOSOPHICAL RANT]

quote:
quote:
I just set this up in a few mins... I will have a domain ready during the next few days and the forum will be build properly, I just did a quick setup of the shit... :D..CyBeRDuDe's MsgPlus! Plugins ForumAnyways, would be nice if I didn't have to do this and host this on my crappy connection... Hopefully I will be able to move it sometime....
I hope you aren't serious about this... There are already small plugins forums by various people/members and all they bring is confusion and most importantly incomplete support/listings/info/etc... etc...

[/SLITHLY OFFTOPIC]

quote:
But I still can't see why we wouldn't be able to split the Plugins forum in sections/subs?... Just the 3?... Devoloper/Beta Releases, Help/Errors and Requests/Is it possible or something similar..
better, but still a "no" from me though...

example:
"Devoloper/Beta Releases" and "Help/Errors" is for most plugins just the same and cross postings will be done. It will even be more difficult for mods to decide where some threads must be placed.

eg: somebody makes a plugin and releases a beta, questions come and people start to ask can this be added, that be added, can this change etc... And many times the questions can relate to bugs of the beta or on other times people report bugs but are actually restrictions or faults of their own (see what happens with Plus!). Now where must such threads? in "Help/Errors"? No, because it is about the beta... In "develop/beta"? No, because some are feature requests? etc.. etc...

Many plugin threads blend over all those subforums and in almost all cases, it is muh better "information wise" that such threads are not split over several subforums.

It is only interesting and usefull for big plugins and for plugins where the developper makes clear destinctions between the stages of development (and these are very rare). But those developpers already do that by marking their threads with a clear and decent title fix ([BETA], [vX.X.XXX], [DEVELOPMENT], etc...)

In other words, the subforums will only be interesting and usefull for two or three plugins... For all the countless smaller plugins this subforum thing isn't good and will result in confusion, cross postings, lost information, etc...

--------------------

(text beneath is general, nothing personal to you CyBeRDuDe)

Also, the question should be asked: what is the underlaying cause of your suggestions? You already said yourself that you're tired of searching thru useless, spammy, dublicted, what not threads. Maybe we should fix this first before attempting anything else, and you will already be much more comfortable in the current forum sections.

In other words, redirecting people to the proper earlier threads and posts instead of half replying with some incomplete information which was said somewhere sometime in some other similar thread. Because if you give only half the information, people will make another thread with somewhat the same question or asking a related question because they couldn't find it in the recent thread.

If full info is given or if they come to that recent thread which has the proper redirecting, they don't need to create yet another thread about the same thing... And in the end this will reduce the amount of duplicated/useless/spammy/what not threads. And it will tidy up the forum automatically...

Another important thing (this more to the developpers of plugins) is to update your threads and not create yet another thread about the same thing. eg: "Plugin X v1.2 released" and somewhat later "Plugin X v2.0 released". Because many info in the original thread is also usefull for the update and we all know how much people search for previous info in previous threads.... So instead of making another thread, add another post to the original thread with something like "see first post for update" and update the first post (don't forget to update the title too).

I say this because there are still some people who seem to think that by creating a new thread they get more attention or renewed attention. Well this is just the same when you add a new post to an old thread. Only with one big benefit: the forum isn't cloaked up with similar threads...

Also reporting is important. It is done more and more I think, but still too little. I often see postings telling people they did something wrong, but nothing gets reported, thus, no actions are taken. I mean especially regarding double posting.

So, all in all, if we all do our best a bit more to get the current forums a bit more tiddy, then there wouldn't be a need for (sub)subforums.

;)
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by Jhrono on 05-30-2005 at 10:54 PM

quote:

To name those that support until now, notice some of them being very respectable users of this forum and are "important members"...
-rafy-, Anubis, jren207, Juzzi, lp15, may73alliance, Melon, Mike2, monster.rat, Penderrin, Purity, Tasha, traxor, ~INVASION~

There are NO IMPORTANT MEMBERS ...

One man is One man and not more then that, not less then that!
Geez... Juzzi is as much as traxor, as mike2 is as much as -rafy-  and lp15 is as much as anubis...
All this discussion is becoming nonsense, man ur getting paranoic...
quote:

I just set this up in a few mins... I will have a domain ready during the next few days and the forum will be build properly, I just did a quick setup of the shit... ..
Anyways, would be nice if I didn't have to do this and host this on my crappy connection... Hopefully I will be able to move it sometime....

now that IS STUPID...Damn...Are you serious with that:(?i agree with cookie...
quote:
Hopefully WDZ or Patchou would drop by this thread and see it, comment on it...:D
is that your great honor?having patchou viewing ur shitty revolutionary thread?...It's not only patchou who exists in this "Msgplus world", nor dz...they are important pieces, but they dont make a move for themselves!..Bah, do you think anybody would follow patchous decision about this(whatever it would be) ?...I wouldnt, and many wouldnt...Seing ur way of saying things, you would!
RE: RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by CookieRevised on 05-30-2005 at 11:15 PM

[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
yes there are... but it is all in the eye of the beholder... ;)

quote:
I disagree... this is (was :dodgy:) a healthy discussion. No nonsense at all IMHO, because he has strong points and things we all should think about...

quote:
quote:
Hopefully WDZ or Patchou would drop by this thread and see it, comment on it...:D
is that your great honor?having patchou viewing ur shitty revolutionary thread?
this thread is not revolutionary, but is also certainly not shitty though. And yes, people like WDZ and Patchou and the likes have a very high word on this. Afterall, it is their forum and their word will be final... (until this kind of thread comes around again)
[/OFF TOPIC]
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by jren207 on 05-30-2005 at 11:47 PM

I don't mind if this idea does get implemented or not. I just voted Yes because it sounds like a good idea IMO. And also, this community is equal and so every vote counts, no matter who the voters are, big mods, etc, whatever. This vote probably won't swing any decision anyway, but hey.

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-31-2005 at 01:23 AM

ARGH!!! Had just spend well over an hour writing a respond to CookieRevised and Johny, then I accidently clicked the Back button on my mouse and everything disappeared... I'd better have to get to bed now times is almost 3:30 am.. So I'll try writing a new post tomorrow sometime... ARGH!!! :(:(:'(....

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by SikStyles on 05-31-2005 at 01:38 AM

even tho i voted its a good idea..it wud still not solve any major problems..those subforums will get trashed sooner or later..and i like the way it is now..T&T is an area where posts dont count..so ppl spam there..so if ur against spam then just look in that area..but i believe most of the activity goes on T&T..

so i dont know its up to forum admins

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-31-2005 at 12:31 PM

Nice Cookie... :D.. You are a man that knows how to "discuss" things and knows what you are talking about... Holy shit this is going to be a long post.. :S..
I utterly respect you for bringing this information to me/us...

quote:
[SLITHLY OFFTOPIC]
[FILOSOPHICAL RANT]
quote:
I know this doesn't make this right, but if such a fair deal of users agreeing on this one then why don't listen the users?... It is thus those people that make sure there is a board, without all these users there would be no reason for a board right? We want democracy...
tbh, this just remembers me of what happend yesterday in France with the EU constitution voting. With it being a democracy, their was a public poll to vote for or against the constitution. It was decided a major big "nay".... Why? because most of the people voted "no" for the wrong reasons: most people don't even know what's in the constitution or what exactly they voted for and thus instead voted against the France governement...... Just to say that voting is all good and well, _if_ everybody knows what exactly they're voting on, what the implications are, what the big picture is, and not simply voting for an theortical "idea" (aka: it "sounds" good)...

MHO
[/FILOSOPHICAL RANT]

I get the pciture here... But then you have to get me right in that if people vote "for the wrong thing"(If there is such a thing), then it is beacuse they are not informed correctly.... Like in the french case the people vote for no beacuse they didn't knew better... Then it have to be up to the politicians/"the big people" to inform the others about the options the people have... And of course if they don't get informed correctly then it will of course make the people judge wronmgly on the situation... That is were your post comes in handy... You give us(The yes voters) a reasnoable explanation on this subject... Instead of like others just wasting there time with junk posts and we can't judge from... You give us something to think about...
I am not saying I am wrong about this, but neither am I saying you are wrong... I think you would have a far better view of what is going on "behind the carpet" than I do...

quote:
quote:
quote:
I just set this up in a few mins... I will have a domain ready during the next few days and the forum will be build properly, I just did a quick setup of the shit... :D..CyBeRDuDe's MsgPlus! Plugins ForumAnyways, would be nice if I didn't have to do this and host this on my crappy connection... Hopefully I will be able to move it sometime....
I hope you aren't serious about this... There are already small plugins forums by various people/members and all they bring is confusion and most importantly incomplete support/listings/info/etc... etc...
[/SLITHLY OFFTOPIC]

Well.. I don't know if I'm that serious with it.. It was just M_E told me to go set up a forum where people could be with their plugin etc.. And so I did... I might try to do it seriously.. But no one knows yet... I might also give it a try, but then it might not succed big... But who knows.. only time can tell.. You can't blame a man for at least trying... If it works out, then it works out, if not, then it didn't work.. and that's that...
I would like that forum to be more aimed at Plugin Creators/Testers/Idea givers etc... And leave the helping with MsgPlus! etc. to this forum... Just let the plugin creators have their "own corner"....

quote:
quote:
But I still can't see why we wouldn't be able to split the Plugins forum in sections/subs?... Just the 3?... Devoloper/Beta Releases, Help/Errors and Requests/Is it possible or something similar..
better, but still a "no" from me though...

example:
"Devoloper/Beta Releases" and "Help/Errors" is for most plugins just the same and cross postings will be done. It will even be more difficult for mods to decide where some threads must be placed.

eg: somebody makes a plugin and releases a beta, questions come and people start to ask can this be added, that be added, can this change etc... And many times the questions can relate to bugs of the beta or on other times people report bugs but are actually restrictions or faults of their own (see what happens with Plus!). Now where must such threads? in "Help/Errors"? No, because it is about the beta... In "develop/beta"? No, because some are feature requests? etc.. etc...

Many plugin threads blend over all those subforums and in almost all cases, it is muh better "information wise" that such threads are not split over several subforums.

It is only interesting and usefull for big plugins and for plugins where the developper makes clear destinctions between the stages of development (and these are very rare). But those developpers already do that by marking their threads with a clear and decent title fix ([BETA], [vX.X.XXX], [DEVELOPMENT], etc...)

In other words, the subforums will only be interesting and usefull for two or three plugins... For all the countless smaller plugins this subforum thing isn't good and will result in confusion, cross postings, lost information, etc...

I see... I get the pciture.. And I think I could see the mess... Then it has to do with that the people coming here are "to noob"...
But I am still wondering a bit.. This is THE official msgplus forum!... If there was a place on the net that the plugin creators would have to be it is here... But I feel like the plugin creators are being pushed a bit aside... (not beacuse of this thread, but in general)...

quote:

(text beneath is general, nothing personal to you CyBeRDuDe)

Also, the question should be asked: what is the underlaying cause of your suggestions? You already said yourself that you're tired of searching thru useless, spammy, dublicted, what not threads. Maybe we should fix this first before attempting anything else, and you will already be much more comfortable in the current forum sections.

In other words, redirecting people to the proper earlier threads and posts instead of half replying with some incomplete information which was said somewhere sometime in some other similar thread. Because if you give only half the information, people will make another thread with somewhat the same question or asking a related question because they couldn't find it in the recent thread.

If full info is given or if they come to that recent thread which has the proper redirecting, they don't need to create yet another thread about the same thing... And in the end this will reduce the amount of duplicated/useless/spammy/what not threads. And it will tidy up the forum automatically...

Another important thing (this more to the developpers of plugins) is to update your threads and not create yet another thread about the same thing. eg: "Plugin X v1.2 released" and somewhat later "Plugin X v2.0 released". Because many info in the original thread is also usefull for the update and we all know how much people search for previous info in previous threads.... So instead of making another thread, add another post to the original thread with something like "see first post for update" and update the first post (don't forget to update the title too).

I say this because there are still some people who seem to think that by creating a new thread they get more attention or renewed attention. Well this is just the same when you add a new post to an old thread. Only with one big benefit: the forum isn't cloaked up with similar threads...

Also reporting is important. It is done more and more I think, but still too little. I often see postings telling people they did something wrong, but nothing gets reported, thus, no actions are taken. I mean especially regarding double posting.

So, all in all, if we all do our best a bit more to get the current forums a bit more tiddy, then there wouldn't be a need for (sub)subforums.

;)
Truely correct...
About the giving correct onformation/links etc... I'm getting tired of posting the same asnwer over and over again.. With links and comments... In the past few days there have been numerous thread about Tabbed Convo, and I always state that I am working on such a plugin, Stuffplug will have it later, and that they can look at your post about the Tabbed Convo subject.. With Link... But the next day I see another thread asking the same god damn question... That is really so annoying... I feel I don't want to asnwer questions anymore... But I feel I need to when people ask about a subject that has to do with one of my plugins etc... But when the same questions get asked and answered almost each day it's just too much....
You said we should try fix the problem with spammy/useless/junk posts/threads before trying to do this... Yes, that might be correct... But that is apparently not possible.. This problem have existed for years here.. And still nothing has changed... The way I see it it all gets worse as each day passes by... If we can't do what I'm suggestion, then we have to do something.. Because something has to change!!!!
We might have to be more strict telling people to use the search forum.. and not to spam etc.... But that doesn't help a bit if we keep on answering the same thread question over and over again with links and all.. Then we would instead have to tell people to use the search function.... But as long as we stand by and post links to each thread that is being posted the people will never change... They get used to that we just answer everything they ask about, even if it has been answered 1000 times before... I am not sure wheter we have a chance of making this better or not... :(...
I appriciate you for brining this to my thoughts... Instead of just flamming away as certain other people... 8-)...

quote:
quote:

One man is One man and not more then that, not less then that!
Geez... Juzzi is as much as traxor, as mike2 is as much as -rafy-  and lp15 is as much as anubis...
You are right in the sense that "One man is One man"... that person will always be a person no matter what!... BUT I still feel there are certain people on this board that have contributed with more than others...
quote:
Nonsense???... It's not becoming nonsense.. I am just trying to make a difference.. If it doesn't succed, then it doesn't succed, and if it succeds it succeds.. Period, end of story... That has nothing to do wiht paranoic or anything...

quote:
quote:

I just set this up in a few mins... I will have a domain ready during the next few days and the forum will be build properly, I just did a quick setup of the shit... ..

now that IS STUPID...Damn...Are you serious with that:(?i agree with cookie...
I'm still just trying to make a difference in this world.. As it seems as certain other people (NOT MENTIONING ANY NAMES) doesn't want to change the future to a better place... My suggestion might be wrong, but you suggest something else that might make this board better???? And yes, I might be serious about my Forum/Board/Page....

quote:
quote:
is that your great honor?having patchou viewing ur shitty revolutionary thread?...It's not only patchou who exists in this "Msgplus world", nor dz...they are important pieces, but they dont make a move for themselves!..Bah, do you think anybody would follow patchous decision about this(whatever it would be) ?...I wouldnt, and many wouldnt...Seing ur way of saying things, you would!
WDZ and Pathou do have something to say.. They are probably the 2 most important people on this board.. They literaly own this board... So don't come here say they have nothing to say.. If they decide that this suggestion is good, then that's their decission and you can't do shit about it... On the other hand if they don't like the decission then we can't do shit about it...
And yes people would HAVE to follow Patchou or WDZ's decission... They've got no other choice??? Other than leave the board if they are unhappy with the outcome of their decission...
You wouldn't follow patchous's decission?? Then you are kinda out of luck... I would follow, I kinda don't have any choice do I? If I want to stay at this board...
That is like saying the president of the US have nothing to say... You have to obey their decission and rules, and there is not much you can do about it besides trying to make a difference, but you apperently don't ever want to make any difference in your life???.. That is how I see my view on you... (No flaming or harm intended!)...

quote:
[OFF TOPIC]
quote:
yes there are... but it is all in the eye of the beholder... ;)
:D;).. True.. I see a few people as "more important than others"... I know this is not the correct POW, but that is how it is!

quote:
quote:
I disagree... this is (was :dodgy:) a healthy discussion. No nonsense at all IMHO, because he has strong points and things we all should think about...
Correct.. I'm just trying to make people think, and I came with a suggestion.. Nothing more, nothing less...

quote:
quote:
quote:
is that your great honor?having patchou viewing ur shitty revolutionary thread?
this thread is not revolutionary, but is also certainly not shitty though. And yes, people like WDZ and Patchou and the likes have a very high word on this. Afterall, it is their forum and their word will be final... (until this kind of thread comes around again)
[/OFF TOPIC]
:D;)

As you see... I'm still not sure if this is a bad idea or good idea.. I might see the downsides of it.. But I still have a faith in that it would be possible that it would "fix" up the forums a bit... I just gave my thougths/suggestions.. And then it's up to the "Big guys" to decide wether or not this suggestion should be reality or not?...
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by CookieRevised on 05-31-2005 at 09:10 PM

I've had the chance to think about this today at work, and I still stand by my point which I said earlier (about the subforums). However, after reading your post, I also could agree on another approach I think, which you also suggested:

Making a subforum for every plugin there is. Because, as you said, they are afterall a main part of Messenger Plus! So this idea will go a bit like on MSNFanatic. But not dividing each plugin subforum into [beta], [release], [help/suggestions], etc... Just simple 1 subforum for each plugin. But all this with a twist. I would like to see the plugins database integrated into the forum. eg:

When people click on the forum "plugins", they see all the plugins (just as in the database) and have the chance to go to the subforum to ask questions, make suggestions, whatever. But they would also see a link to the download of the plugin (this is where the plugin database comes into play as it is now). This link can be in the same list as the subforums, or in the subforum itself (on top or something, dunno)...

Now all this is much work to do (for WDZ mainly), so I have my doubts. Not because he's lazy, but because he needs to find the time as this will take much effort I imagine. Together with this I like to see some things added to the actual plugin database. eg: a link to the plugin's subforum, a link to the official homepage of the plugin (if it exist), and a link to a post (or an extra field) wich contains general info about related plugins!... (eg: all the convo grouping plugins, all the notifiers, all the file send related plugins, etc...)

And last but not least (and this is something the plugin makers can do already), the plugin makers need to mail Fraisie or whoever is in charge of the plugin database and update, or even add!, their stuff.... Because the plugin database is seriously outdated. And this is the responsebility of the plugin makers. Otherwise it would be a full time job to keep the database up-to-date if 1 person needs to constantly roam the forums, and keep track of every plugin development.

So, in short: instead of making subforums like [Help], [suggestions], [releases], etc... make subforums for each plugin. And keep the current plugin forum of course for the general stuff, sumerizes of related plugins, how-to's, etc... just as it is now...

RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by Dempsey on 05-31-2005 at 09:26 PM

quote:
Now all this is much work to do (for WDZ mainly), so I have my doubts. Not because he's lazy, but because he needs to find the time as this will take much effort I imagine. Together with this I like to see some things added to the actual plugin database. eg: a link to the plugin's subforum, a link to the official homepage of the plugin (if it exist), and a link to a post (or an extra field) wich contains general info about related plugins!... (eg: all the convo grouping plugins, all the notifiers, all the file send related plugins, etc...)
yea thats what I've been thinking about making my own Plugin DB, with a lot more information about plugins, including lists of commands/tags, screenshot, FAQs links to offical websites, etc etc
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-31-2005 at 11:28 PM

quote:
I've had the chance to think about this today at work, and I still stand by my point which I said earlier (about the subforums). However, after reading your post, I also could agree on another approach I think, which you also suggested:

Making a subforum for every plugin there is. Because, as you said, they are afterall a main part of Messenger Plus! So this idea will go a bit like on MSNFanatic. But not dividing each plugin subforum into [beta], [release], [help/suggestions], etc... Just simple 1 subforum for each plugin. But all this with a twist. I would like to see the plugins database integrated into the forum. eg:

When people click on the forum "plugins", they see all the plugins (just as in the database) and have the chance to go to the subforum to ask questions, make suggestions, whatever. But they would also see a link to the download of the plugin (this is where the plugin database comes into play as it is now). This link can be in the same list as the subforums, or in the subforum itself (on top or something, dunno)...

That would also be more than fine.. :D..

quote:
Now all this is much work to do (for WDZ mainly), so I have my doubts. Not because he's lazy, but because he needs to find the time as this will take much effort I imagine.

So true... But maybe he would be able to find someone willing to help him out?... I would if I didn't have so litle sparetime and the sparetime I've got I have to use on my plugins... :(...

quote:
Together with this I like to see some things added to the actual plugin database. eg: a link to the plugin's subforum, a link to the official homepage of the plugin (if it exist), and a link to a post (or an extra field) wich contains general info about related plugins!... (eg: all the convo grouping plugins, all the notifiers, all the file send related plugins, etc...)
Yes.. The plugins database definitly needs an update.. Not just by the plugin creators submitting but also in general... The database is so "old" and information less it's not woth using it... It needs to be updated.. To support Screenshots, external links.. etc.. As you said...
This would be a job for Patchou/Or who else runs the MsgPlus.net site and Database?...

quote:
And last but not least (and this is something the plugin makers can do already), the plugin makers need to mail Fraisie or whoever is in charge of the plugin database and update, or even add!, their stuff.... Because the plugin database is seriously outdated. And this is the responsebility of the plugin makers.
True... And really some plugins that are here on the forum should be there... But still some plugins should also not be there... That database is for the world public, and thousands of people visit that everyday(I guess?)... So plugins that are there should be working/stable, and early beta's shouldn't be there.. Well in fact, maybe even NO beta's should be there...
Well.. If we could have the extra links, link to forum, it would make a bigger difference, then it wouldn't matter that much if the plugins are still in beta stage because people can come to the forum and post...
This combined with all plugins having their own Subforum/corner would improve increasingly.... If the users will be linked directly to the plugin's "corner" they would have a better chance of finding what they are looking for... If they see a "forum" dedicated to that particular plugin they are more likely to think that their problem is already stated and talked about, and they would go look for it... I'm not saying that everyone would.. But I think far more people would than they are now...

quote:
Otherwise it would be a full time job to keep the database up-to-date if 1 person needs to constantly roam the forums, and keep track of every plugin development.
Well.. Yes... But who says it needs to be a 1 man job?... In fact I did also request/suggest this before... That we found a few people that have some extra time, some people that we trust in and knows what they are doing.. Maybe also a few "noobs"... But collect a team of people who's job is to roam the forum in search for plugins... Then they should test them, take screenshots, give a short description(from a normal user POW), maybe rate it, group it(What kind of plugin is it), gather some info about it, read the threads about it stating bugs/fixes/how to fix etc, read the creators posts and summarize future/to-do list, known bugs, other informations, maybe write a better readme than the creator(as plugin creators are poor at writing readme's/helps/etc...), they should test the plugin with different options like on different Windows versions, Msn messenger versions, plus! version etc, and then write a compatibilty text for it... All these things should be done by a team... In short this team's job is too ease up the plugin creators job and ease it up for the general users/public... We could call/name this team for instance "The MsgPlus! Plugins Special Forces".. :P.... If you understand?... This idea would be so awesome.. :D.. But that would of course require that a few people signed up voluntary and that we have a webpage for this... Maybe someone could build a www.msgplugins.net or www.msgplusplugins.net homepage were all this could be... Were this team opperates... :D...

quote:
So, in short: instead of making subforums like [Help], [suggestions], [releases], etc... make subforums for each plugin. And keep the current plugin forum of course for the general stuff, sumerizes of related plugins, how-to's, etc... just as it is now...
I would certainly LOVE this!!! :D...