Shoutbox

Odd character for "on the phone" status - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Odd character for "on the phone" status (/showthread.php?tid=45508)

Odd character for "on the phone" status by Osiris on 05-30-2005 at 12:14 PM

I'm not sure exactly what this problem is related to, MSN or plus! so i thought i would post it here:

Basically when someone changes their status to "On the phone" a japanese?/chinese? character appears at the end of the on the phone where there should be a bracket ).

MSN Version: 7.0.0813
Plus! Version: 3.54.132 (updated after monster.rat's post)

I'm also using a-patch 1.1.9

[Image: attachment.php?pid=470769]

RE: Odd character for "on the phone" status by Zephyr on 05-30-2005 at 12:30 PM

There is a new version of Messenger Plus!, 3.54.132. So i would try downloading this first and see if the problem persists.

Messnger Plus! 3.54.132

RE: Odd character for "on the phone" status by Osiris on 05-30-2005 at 12:40 PM

I tried updating plus! and the problem still occurred. so i did a clean install of MSN, to remove a-patch, and the character no longer appears. When i reinstalled a-patch, the character was back. So it seems to be a bug in a-patch? does anyone else using a-patch get this problem?

RE: Odd character for "on the phone" status by Zephyr on 05-30-2005 at 12:47 PM

I found this in the a-patch forums http://apatch.killercarrot.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73

Ahmad (A-patch creator) puts it down to a problem with MSN Messenger.

I don't use A-patch so i wouldn't know for sure what the problem is.

You could try posting in the a-patch forums with the problem.

RE: Odd character for "on the phone" status by Osiris on 05-30-2005 at 02:15 PM

[Quote=Ahmad (on a-patch forums)]
This is a problem with MSN Messenger itself, sometimes it shows up as a box and sometimes as an asian character, quite strange.

i dont think thats right, or i dont understand.. because when i remove a-patch that doesnt happen. so it must be a-patch?
RE: Odd character for "on the phone" status by Anubis on 05-30-2005 at 02:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Osiris
i dont think thats right, or i dont understand.. because when i remove a-patch that doesnt happen. so it must be a-patch?

I'm not sure if Ahmad is correct in this case, his patch when editing the main executable may cause unexpected effects like this. It may be that somehow when Messenger is patched with a-patch the problem is shown up, or agrovated somehow. I'd report this incident to his forum, or PM him here, because it is possible that a-patch could cause this, especially since;

1. More than one person has experienced it
2. When A-Patch is removed it no longer happens.
RE: Odd character for "on the phone" status by CookieRevised on 05-30-2005 at 09:35 PM

Osiris, can you tell us which A-Patch patches you have applied?

RE: Odd character for "on the phone" status by Osiris on 05-30-2005 at 09:43 PM

Contact List:

Remove Email button
Remove MSN Today button
Remove My Space button
Remove Search bar
Change Display Picture Link
Add sign out button
Remove advertisement

IMs:

Remove Packs
Remove What's Hot Section
Remove Advertisement
Remove Nudge Delay
Add Mess.be's custom games

Miscellaneous:

Polygamy
Show Idle Status
Remove File Transfer Protection
Boost PSM to 500 characters
Remove Billing Info Menus

RE: Odd character for "on the phone" status by Ahmad on 05-30-2005 at 11:54 PM

Ah, yes I was wrong! I did some testing and it seems that the character appears once the "Show Idle Status" feature has been applied.

RE: Odd character for "on the phone" status by einum on 05-31-2005 at 01:40 AM

I've experienced this too, not a chinese character thoug, but a question mark ? instead of parenthesis end ).

But Ahmad has thought me how to reshack the dll-file, to let me have the Norwegian translation of "Idle". In the same string I found the status "(I telefonen?" and changed it myself to "(I telefonen)".