Shoutbox

Default settings to all new accounts - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Default settings to all new accounts (/showthread.php?tid=45540)

Default settings to all new accounts by Nazgulled on 05-30-2005 at 11:14 PM

Hi,
sometimes I have some friends coming by and they want to access their msn account on my pc and since I have the polygamy patch I don't really mind.

The thing is, everytime a new account is signed in on my pc the msgplus! wizard pops-up. Is there a way to disable this?

Everytime a new account is created, the msgplus! settings revert to the default ones and I would like them to be like my own account, specially the msgplus! logs folder. So, how can I change the default settings of the new accounts? So everytime a new account is added on my pc, the default settings will be the ones I choose.

Any help on this 2 issues will be much appreciated.

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by mandorallen on 05-30-2005 at 11:35 PM

The wizard popup can not be disabled, so, if you have a lot of friends, it will be a hell for you, but the wizard pop up have a close button in the main window, so, your friends can close it without problem.

And the default settings can not be changed, so, when your fiends use your PC, you have to tell it to them.

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by Zephyr on 05-30-2005 at 11:41 PM

You can also save your plus preferences.

Main messenger window, Plus -> Preferences - > Save/Load (bottom left) -> Export my preferences to a datat file.

Then you can just do the same, but load the preferences when you want to.

This is the quickest way you can do it.

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by Concord Dawn on 05-31-2005 at 12:36 AM

There is a registry key to turn it off I believe.

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by Snake on 05-31-2005 at 01:42 AM

I think this should be an option in the next vertion.

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by albert on 05-31-2005 at 02:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by snake1131
I think this should be an option in the next vertion.

Totally Agreed! (Y)
RE: Default settings to all new accounts by Patchou on 05-31-2005 at 04:36 AM

The reason why you can't disable the wizard is that thisway, your friends have the possibility to disable the logging feature and some other stuff you may have enabled. That's a security features :).

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by Nazgulled on 06-01-2005 at 12:10 AM

it may be a security feature but it should be an option too...

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by Patchou on 06-01-2005 at 04:02 AM

If it was an option then it wouldn't much of a security would it? :).

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by Nazgulled on 06-01-2005 at 08:41 AM

in my point of view it would be a security anyway. we're a talking about my own pc, I do what I want with it... if I wanted their logs I could use a keylogger, it's my pc, I install whatever I want on it. but I don't care about their logs or conversation and my friends can trust me and they know they can as I delete every log after they leave.

the default would be always show the wizard, so it would be secure anyway, but I should be able to choose if I want it to popup or not. that's what I think.

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by CookieRevised on 06-01-2005 at 09:45 AM

In this case it might be your PC. But in many other cases it might not... And to protect the user a bit on public PC's, this wizard will always popup for new users. If there was an option to turn it off by default for new users also, it would totaly defeat the security purpose.

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by Nazgulled on 06-01-2005 at 11:24 AM

then make it an hidden an option or ad dit somehow that you can only change it if you are the sys admin or something.

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by RaceProUK on 06-01-2005 at 12:07 PM

Or just let your friends run therough the wizard. If you don't remove their settings afterwards, then it won't pop up again.

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by Nazgulled on 06-01-2005 at 12:29 PM

that's the problem, it's annoying, they don't care about it, they just want simple chat.

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by Patchou on 06-01-2005 at 10:11 PM

I understand what you're asking, however, if there's no option for the automatic-show of the wizard, it's also because it appears only the first time and you can close it right away when it opens. It's not like it wastes anybody's time, if your friends are not interested in the product, they click close and voila, problem solved :).

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by Nazgulled on 06-01-2005 at 10:41 PM

yeah, but the logs will be saved anyway and what annoys me is that they are created in some dir I don't like, I wanted them to be created in the dir I save my plus! logs. Is there anyway I can change the default location? like a registry setting?

RE: Default settings to all new accounts by RaceProUK on 06-01-2005 at 11:21 PM

HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\Nobody?