Shoutbox

Support for Microsoft Office Communicator - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator (/showthread.php?tid=45554)

Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by sebastianilse on 05-31-2005 at 09:01 AM

Hi,
will Messenger Plus! support the new Microsoft Office Communicator?

This is a replacement for the Windows MEssenger, used by the Livemeeting Server.

thanks

Sebastian

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by Anubis on 05-31-2005 at 09:03 AM

No, Messenger Plus has no specific plans to make it compatible.
If it is extremely similar to Windows Messenger, there is a chance that it will be able to hook in and do some similar things, if it uses the old Windows Messenger API.
But short answer is no, there is no plans for it to be compatible with it, or talk of it ever being compatible.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by sebastianilse on 05-31-2005 at 09:13 AM

as i know, it uses some parts of the windows messenger.
why do you not plan to support it?

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by Anubis on 05-31-2005 at 10:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sebastianilse
why do you not plan to support it?
Messenger Plus was designed with MSN Messenger, having it support different programs such as Windows Messenger and Microsoft Office Communicator gets to be a hassle. Also every different program uses different APIs (application program interfaces), so having it compatible for everything and it all working, can be a juggling act.
In the end it's also a waste, because the target audience of Plus, is by a vast majority, using MSN Messenger and not Windows Messenger and Office Communicator, so it's a lot of work for a small minority.
In the long term Patchou may make it compatible, but I doubt it.
RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by sebastianilse on 05-31-2005 at 10:38 AM

ah ok, thats obvios :-)

anyway Messenger Plus! is a very good piece of Software.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by ogoren on 10-30-2005 at 08:41 PM

Actually, I disagree. Many hi-tech companies that wants to unify the way their internal communication is executed, moving toward organizational solutions of messengers, specificly office communicator due to its MS support. It's true that many users will continue to work with the free public wide MSN solution, but for private use. Inside their work places, they will have no chioce but to integrate with thier company's solution. With its exchange interface, and one exit point toward the firewall, it is a winning solution (company-wise speaking). I think that in the long run, support to communicator will become mandatory.

So please add it!!!! boo hoooooo

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by Vilkku on 10-30-2005 at 08:48 PM

Well, I never even heard about it and a big part of the users will never use it (besides, I don't think Patchou uses it either). So, he could just develop a piece of software that he will never use, but I can't see how he could be motivated for that.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by sebastianilse on 10-30-2005 at 10:35 PM

hm about 75,000 Microsoft employees use this tool at the moment...  don't thinkt they are nobody :-)

RE: RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by barmaley on 11-02-2005 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sebastianilse
hm about 75,000 Microsoft employees use this tool at the moment...  don't thinkt they are nobody :-)

Another 75,000 of Intel ees are being urged strongly to use MS Communicator. The main disappointment about it is the absence of logging.
RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by Patchou on 11-02-2005 at 11:23 PM

I want to add compatibility for communicator, however, in order to do that, I need an account on a Live Communiactor server. So far, nobody ever gave me access to their servers so I've never been able to check out this version of Messenger. If you think you can create a user account so that I can connect on your Communicator network, please email me at mplus@patchou.com :).

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by barmaley on 11-04-2005 at 08:58 AM

Patchou
Sorry, but I can't help you with it. The server is a new one and only for the employees which are being forced to use it. Besides they can't chat with the people outside (IM clients) though it gonna be fixed in Q1 2006. I believe there won't be public Comm.servers at all because this product is for enterprises only. So it looks like one will have to install the server himself or to get a job in some big company :)

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by riahc4 on 11-05-2005 at 01:20 PM

At the moment I personally think looking at Windows Live Messenger is more important than this. It seems that we may be without Plus! for a very long time like the change from MSN Messenger 4 to 5.

This is just speculation and a opinion.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by haleym on 11-30-2005 at 06:50 AM

If no one is able to get you an account, Microsoft does have a free 120-day trial version of the Communicator server software available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/livecomm/prodinfo/trial.mspx

Hope this helps, we're looking forward to having Plus! available once our company does its mandatory switch-over to Communicator!

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by haleym on 03-14-2006 at 11:40 PM

Hello -

Is Plus! compatibility for Communicator still a possibility that's being looked into? Just curious, as nothing's been posted about it either way for a while...

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by Fybz on 02-15-2007 at 08:44 AM

Hi,

Our company is abandoning Windows Messenger and is moving to the Office Communicator :-(
Any chance of OC being supported by Plus! in the near future?
I really need chat logging!! :)

Cheers

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by beastie on 02-28-2007 at 03:44 PM

Office Communicator 2007 is supposed to come out in the second quarter.  My hope, from a usability standpoint, is that they're leveraging WLM almost entirely.  If that ends up being the case, then getting WLM Plus! working would (pipe dream) be a piece of cake.

I say wait and see a couple more months to see what the new version holds.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by doolittle on 05-05-2007 at 03:38 PM

Patchou, are you still looking to add compatibility for communicator? Our company (60k Employees) switched too leaving me without MsgPlus:(

RE: RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by Skyheartblue on 05-09-2007 at 06:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by doolittle
Patchou, are you still looking to add compatibility for communicator? Our company (60k Employees) switched too leaving me without MsgPlus:(

Indeed, supporting office/messenger communicator will be a gift to us all!!!!  :D

doolittle, are you working for a company starts with "M" by any chance...?    ;)

Cheers,
JB
RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by beastie on 05-28-2007 at 10:30 PM

Hey Patchou, if you're bored, just write an entirely new front-end for Office Communicator.  MS just released the "Microsoft Office Communicator Web Access AJAX Service SDK".

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6814349

So, what about it? ;)

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by chriztofr on 06-27-2007 at 02:15 PM

Patchou,
I have written a logger for Office Communicator and would like to know if you would be interested in collaborating on it.  PM/email me and I will send you some information about it.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by chriztofr on 08-15-2007 at 04:49 AM

Guys, I've received a few messages regarding my previous statement (sorry for not getting back to all of you), though nothing from Patchou. I will most likely be setting up a website for my logger soon.

My company also switched from Windows Messenger to Office Communicator, and by that time, I was hooked on logging.  Although my logger does not function as a plugin like MsgPlus, it does have a few extra features including:
-- a URL finder (in case your administrator decided to disable clickable URLs in messages)
-- a log searcher (with regular expressions in terms, date and participant filters, and result preview)
-- a log viewer that puts your plaintext archived conversation back to rich text (also allows you to navigate through conversations)
-- an expiration mechanism that deletes logs after they get to a certain age (my company has a retention policy)
-- an option to notify you when participants close their converation window (via the yellow bubble that pops up from the sys tray)
-- a contact list cache (so you can access your list of contacts for searching when you're offline)
-- an option to automatically exit communicator when you exit the logger

P.S... Sorry for the emphatic use of parenthetical statements.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by Patchou on 08-15-2007 at 05:09 PM

Hey chriztofr, sorry for the lack of news.

I'm still very interested in working on this, please send me an email at mplus-support@patchou.com if you can give me an account on a Communicator server. I need one to be able to do my tests.

Good luck for your program! :)

RE: RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by Skyheartblue on 10-13-2007 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Hey chriztofr, sorry for the lack of news.

I'm still very interested in working on this, please send me an email at mplus-support@patchou.com if you can give me an account on a Communicator server. I need one to be able to do my tests.

Good luck for your program! :)

Hi,
Any news on supporting Communicator my friends?

Cheers,
JB
RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by Patchou on 10-13-2007 at 03:55 PM

nope because I still didn't get any access to a communicator account.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by MeEtc on 10-13-2007 at 05:37 PM

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/communicationss...A102030131033.aspx

120 day trial.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by Jimbo on 10-13-2007 at 07:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/communicationsserver/HA102030131033.aspx

120 day trial.
That wont be long enough is patch wants to keep updating it:P
RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by Patchou on 10-17-2007 at 07:08 PM

I tried setting up all this stuff but I'm not IT and I don't have time to understand how to make everything work together (Active Directory, Exchange and the rest).

Alright, let's see this another way: I will pay anybody who can set this thing up on the server of its choice (his, not mine) to let me work on it. 120 days of trial will eb plenty of time to let me see if compatibility can be done or not.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by chriztofr on 10-27-2007 at 12:08 AM

Good news, people. I've submitted my request to start a project at Sourceforge, so within a couple of days, I'll have the logger up there. Stay tuned.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by chriztofr on 10-31-2007 at 01:59 PM

My request was approved. I thought they'd email me and let me know, but I just checked and the project space was created. I'll try to get the stuff up there tonight so you guys can be logging tomorrow.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by Skyheartblue on 10-31-2007 at 02:20 PM

Excellent news mate!!!      :D
Many thank my friend.

JB

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by chriztofr on 11-01-2007 at 06:30 PM

I forgot it was halloween when I wrote that and I had some plans so I wasn't able to upload the files, but tonight's the night! Sorry about that.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by chriztofr on 11-02-2007 at 05:13 AM

Enjoy!
https://sourceforge.net/projects/officecomlogger

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by maelstrm on 11-13-2007 at 12:56 PM

Thanks for sharing Chriztofr!

Patchou, to create a test server, I'd recommend downloading a free copy of VirtualPC from Microsoft and setting it up in that.

This is a basic step through of how I'd imagine setting up communications server/communicator would go:

1) Install Windows 2003 Server
2) Select that you want to install Active Directory, go through prompts, remember what you put for domain name
3) Control Panel > Advanced > Users and Computers
4) New User (username) x however many
5) Install Communcations Server
6) Install Communicator (client), log in with username@domainname

Patchou/Chriztofr, are either of you looking at implementing live spell checking (either for standard MsgPlus or for the Communicator addon)? If you want to see a best-case implementation, look at Gaim/Pidgin which uses aSpell, a free library.

There's already a very basic script for MsgPlus which gives a very basic level of spell checking but it doesn't check as you type and it doesn't give suggestions, it just auto-guesses for anything it can't recognise. Plus you need to mark each message you want checked. http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/view/292-aSpellChecker/

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by MeEtc on 01-05-2008 at 07:33 PM

I should be able to get LCS running on my server within the next few weeks, as soon as i get my internet connection upgraded and I can sort out the mess of the DNS server.

Patchou: Let me know if you are still interested and I will see if i can get it set up to a working state.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by ankan on 02-14-2008 at 09:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chriztofr
Enjoy!
https://sourceforge.net/projects/officecomlogger
Are any of you still looking for Floating Contacts for Communicator 2005? I added support for it in for myself on top of Chris' code...
I'll put it online incase anyone is actually looking for it ;)
RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by mondeca on 03-06-2008 at 02:33 PM

Patchou, have you been able to test with Communicator yet?

My company is just now switching over to 2005 (yes, 2005), and I really need the logging.  I tried chriztofr's Logger, but it won't unpause, so it's not logging anything.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by Patchou on 03-06-2008 at 06:27 PM

I still have no way to connect to any Communicator server. Still waiting for someone to send me a login and password :).

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by rezilient on 04-11-2008 at 02:38 PM

I was getting ready to set this up for Patchou, but how do I get around this?

quote:
Public IM Connectivity requires a per-user; per-month subscription license that is in addition to the Live Communication Server Client Access License (CAL). No trial or evaluation is available for the public IM connectivity service. However, customers have the option of purchasing a small number of public IM connectivity licenses allowing their company to try the service, and then increase the number of licensed users once they find the service meets their needs.

I can install LCS 2005 on a VM but then can we somehow test using "Private" instead of "Public" IM accounts?

Edit:  By the way, I'm a new member but I used to use Plus! years ago and loved it.  Looking forward to using it on Office Communicator 2005 that work is forcing upon us, and soon going to be OCS 2007.
RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by MeEtc on 04-11-2008 at 07:15 PM

Private VM accounts are the default already, as it sounds from that post. As far as a server goes, I have Exchange and LCS already installed, I just need assistance getting LCS connectivity working. For access, its going to probably have to be done via Remote Desktop. Contact me if you're willing to help out rezilient, or anyone else.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by MeEtc on 04-19-2008 at 02:21 AM

Here's an update:
I just sent an email to Patchou informing him that I have an LCS server complete with Office Communicator at his disposal

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by rezilient on 04-28-2008 at 05:24 PM

Sure I'll help out any way I can.

My Office Communicator Logger by chriztofr stopped working for some reason. :(

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by xthunderx on 09-24-2008 at 10:43 PM

Hi, im new at this forum since the company i work for just made the change to OC, i work for HP and there is a lot of ppl from the company that will love to have something like msnger plus in OC, since we used to have jabber and its multi tabbed, and that is one of the things im looking forward to have in OC hopefully patchou already created something, if yes please someone let me know by posting something here i just dont want to put my email here for specific reasons. :P appreciate it. 

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by kozalp on 07-13-2009 at 09:29 AM

any updates?

another 75000 Alcatel-Lucent employees are waiting for a MOC Plus!

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by kozalp on 05-04-2010 at 11:21 AM

For all who are interested, I found this on the web http://www.eventure.biz/site/Products/Complus.aspx

I don't think there is any relation with msgplus! so install at your own risk.

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by CookieRevised on 05-04-2010 at 05:01 PM

erm... that is a plain copy of Messenger Plus!, feature wise and including the name...
Can't people create something on their own instead of so obviously copying the hard work and research of someone else (without giving credit)?

At least they could have been a bit more creative and have a different kind of name and build their own userbase,
instead of (a bit too obviously imho) trying to gain popularity on the back of the 'Messenger Plus!' name/term and its search results.

Oh well, I suppose it could be seen as a compliment too I guess...

PS: Patchou nor Yuna have anything todo with this though, afaik.

nice find though, kozalp. This might help some people...

RE: Support for Microsoft Office Communicator by matty on 05-04-2010 at 07:00 PM

I had started to create a server in VM but never got around to finishing it. I will see if I can rummage it up and continue on it.