Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 (/showthread.php?tid=45587)

Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by dutch2005 on 05-31-2005 at 07:24 PM

is there going to be a Messenger Plus! made available for windows xp x64?

i guess its mostly just a matter of recompiling the stuff to 64bits...

if no beta tester are available for that, i would make a statement that i would be happy to help testing a 64bits messenger plus!

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by RaceProUK on 05-31-2005 at 07:58 PM

I'm sure that when Patchou gets a 64-bit PC with 64-bit Windows, he'll make 64-bit Plus!. Until then, we're stuck with a mere 32 bits I'm afraid.

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by dutch2005 on 05-31-2005 at 08:12 PM

hmm, that wont be needed... I guess :P, i mean, all you need is stuff like :
Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 SP1 and
microsof Visual Studion 2005 (the compiler must be able to compile 64bits instructions), he wont need a 64 bits cpu.. why?? well he just compilese it as 64bits, and sends it out to a few beta testers first like 5 -10, if it works, he can get some more people test it out, and voila messenger plus! 64bits is born :P

heck 32bits hardware can compile it as far as i could read it

quote:
Go Ahead and Port
More Exciting Porting and Portability Tips
When it's time to compile, use the /Wp64 switch with the Microsoft Visual C/C++ compiler; it's available on the 32-bit compiler, and using it is one of the first steps to porting. With that switch thrown, the compiler will warn you about portability issues—pay attention to those messages, since you want to get your code "64-bit clean." (If you're working with the "Whidbey" version of Visual Studio .NET, please note that it includes native support for compiling to AMD64 Windows platforms!)

Post compilation, be sure to test, test, test. You may find additional bugs in your code, especially when implicit conversions don't go as you'd expect. Be careful to keep synchronization between C and assembly data structures, and pay attention to the new data types, data sizes and alignments.
Finally, use benchmarking to help identify parts of your code that need extra attention after the port. The ideal tool is AMD CodeAnalyst , which you can download free of charge. DevX has written an article about it—see "Getting In Touch With Your Inner Code."

Mike Wall is a Senior Member of Technical Staff in the Developer Performance Team at Advanced Micro Devices Inc.
source: http://www.devx.com/amd/Article/17783/2907?pf=true

subject: Tricks for porting applications to 64-bit Windows om AMD64 architecture...
RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by RaceProUK on 05-31-2005 at 09:26 PM

So all Patchou needs is the (currently Beta) VS.NET 2005.

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by dutch2005 on 05-31-2005 at 09:34 PM

well reading some things through i guess all patchou really needs is

Microsoft Visual C/C++ compiler + the /Wp64 switch

making sure all the stuff is corrected (pointers to int's and stuff like that, i think the source would be best first checked by AMD's "CodeAnalyst2.34.4" (dont know if there is/will be a intel counterpart, yet i dont think that will mind, because the intel implementation is almost indentical to AMD's version of AMD64...)

why check it out? well that way it wll run better on win xp x64..

and if you manage to make the code compatible with both win32 AND win64, the benefit will be that you would only be needing to support 1 source code, and that source will need to be compiled 2x 1x win32 1x win64 (x64)

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by RaceProUK on 05-31-2005 at 09:37 PM

I was about to ask 'don't 32-bit apps work on 64-bit machines', but then remembered Plus does some fancy memory shnitz. That kinda makes it limited to 32-bit.

And why I think Patchou may need a 64-bit machine to test with.

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by Patchou on 05-31-2005 at 10:59 PM

lol... if it was just a matter of "recompile with the 64bits option enabled", that would already have been done. Messenger Plus! needs to manipulates several kinds of pointers which requires the code itself to be modified to be 64bits compatible. This will be done when Windows 64bits will be in its final stage and when I'll have a 64bits CPU (there's no way I'll buy an AMD :p).

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by Dane on 06-01-2005 at 12:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
lol... if it was just a matter of "recompile with the 64bits option enabled", that would already have been done. Messenger Plus! needs to manipulates several kinds of pointers which requires the code itself to be modified to be 64bits compatible. This will be done when Windows 64bits will be in its final stage and when I'll have a 64bits CPU (there's no way I'll buy an AMD :p).
And Patchou would have to select a group of 64-bit testers...
RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by wj on 06-01-2005 at 12:15 AM

quote:

Then just buy an Itanium, Otherwise we could be waiting ALONG time.
RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by RaceProUK on 06-01-2005 at 10:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wtbw
This is very different from the version of Windows that Itanium ran on. Even though it is 64-bit, it's a totally different architecture ;)
Itanium is intended for servers IIRC. Intel wouldn't have made a desktop version of that: they wouldn't be able to compete with AMD then. So they basically copied AMD, renamed the extensions EM64T (AMD64 sounds cooler though), and will be using that for desktop processors.
RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by dutch2005 on 06-01-2005 at 10:37 AM

yup and install is now NOT only giving 64bits instruction capabilities to their PENTIUM cpu's the latest Celeron D, processors will also contain the 64bits instruction capabilites

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by Patchou on 06-01-2005 at 04:39 PM

Ar.. damn Intel for releasing this 64bits thingy... ok then, I promise I'll look into it in a couple of months. The problem is that for having 64bits enabled on my computer, I need to change at least the CPU and the motherboard and reinstall Windows.

I'll try to find a 64bits computer that I can borrow for a week or two, if you know anybody in my area, let me know :).

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by Stigmata on 06-01-2005 at 05:17 PM

i do believe that blade ran msgplus on 64bit fine :S

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by Dempsey on 06-01-2005 at 05:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
yea but it prob ran in 32 bit mode or whatever AFAIK 64bit CPUs can run 32 bit apps
RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by Vilkku on 06-01-2005 at 05:24 PM

I got a 64bit processor but all my software is 32bit :/

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by RaceProUK on 06-01-2005 at 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
yea but it prob ran in 32 bit mode or whatever AFAIK 64bit CPUs can run 32 bit apps
AMD64 chips can run 32-bit x86 code natively, and Intel's EM64T chips will also.
And you'll probably find that WinXP 64 has a 'Run in 32-bit mode' for programs like Plus!, that rely on the bitness of the PC.
RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by dutch2005 on 06-01-2005 at 10:06 PM

well yeah it does run, yet if you see my list of win32 program i thing runnig all things in 64bits mode will be much better, and heck if the main code is atm compatible, it migt doesnt need much changes to be comatible with ms longhorn, cuz twith that one a new msn will be out deffenatly...

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by Patchou on 06-01-2005 at 10:15 PM

Making Plus! 64bits compatible won't be very difficult, it's just that I can't do it if I can't test it myself. Also, note that when this wll be done, the code will be 64bits compatible but will still be distributed in 32bits binaries. For a program like Plus!, compiling everything in 64bits wouldn't be much of an advantage and you wouldn't notice any difference in speed anyway.

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by RaceProUK on 06-01-2005 at 11:22 PM

Depends how many 64-bit ops you're doing ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by Patchou on 06-02-2005 at 12:49 AM

Exactly... the only stuff that's managed as 64bits is the sound IDs and the way they are calculated wouldn't benefit from a big 64bits integer, so, no gain :).

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by dutch2005 on 06-02-2005 at 09:17 AM

ah, ok, 1 "last" questin, will source be available?, cuz i could perhaps compile it in 64bits (wenn the sourc eis 64bits compatible..) & ii just downloaded the emule source, and will try to compile it in 64bits... will see what that program will do in 64bits :P

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by Dempsey on 06-02-2005 at 09:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dutch2005
ah, ok, 1 "last" questin, will source be available?
No it wont, ever.  Patchou has been working on Messenger Plus! for years and he's not going to make it open source so loads of n00bs can just change the credits and release it as their own program
RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by XM4ST3RX on 06-02-2005 at 11:26 AM

Hi,

Messenger Plus! is better kept closed source, then you wont get loads of other n00bie w00bie's trying to edit little stuff and re-releasing it under their name.

Kind Regards,
XM4ST3RX

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by dutch2005 on 06-02-2005 at 02:45 PM

well it was not intended as flaim orso, i just though heck things liek emule are also op-source, if you want 64bits you just have to re-compile it as 64bits....

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by XM4ST3RX on 06-02-2005 at 04:02 PM

Hi,

we did not take it as a flame, sorry if i replied as if i sounded if i was replying to a flame, im sure Dempsey didnt either :P

Kind Regards,
XM4ST3RX

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by dutch2005 on 06-02-2005 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XM4ST3RX
Hi,

we did not take it as a flame, sorry if i replied as if i sounded if i was replying to a flame, im sure Dempsey didnt either :P

Kind Regards,
XM4ST3RX

heck dont sweat it :P
RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by Patchou on 06-03-2005 at 08:10 PM

As Dempsey said, sorry, no source code distribution :).

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by Viper6 on 06-05-2005 at 04:18 AM

quote:
(there's no way I'll buy an AMD :p).

Then your just silly...

Sorry I would have used a worse word but didn't want my post deleted...

The latest line of AMD processors (Venice and San Diego) kill anything Intel has to offer. Even take a look at their dual core offerings and they smash Intel in 90% of the tests. Not to mention AMD run cooler, quieter, use less power, have more features across the board and are cheaper (apart from their dual core chips which are more expensive than intel but perform better).

I don't know maybe where you live Patchou you need a Prescott processor to use as a heater to keep you warm

As for 64 bit Intel processors, they have been available for a while now...

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7998

AMD has had this support (as well as NX bit and everything else intel introduced in their 600 series since SEPTEMBER 2003).

And Windows XP x64 was offically released over a month ago.

Someone is a bit behind the times

Edit: Has someone tried to run MsgPlus on XP Pro x64? Does it install but just doesn't work properly? Or does it refuse to install or what?
RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by Patchou on 06-05-2005 at 05:37 AM

lol... yeah yeah, I know the song 8-)

RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by riahc4 on 06-05-2005 at 08:49 AM

quote:
lol... yeah yeah, I know the song
(Offtopic:)
Im with Patchou on this one as well....

Some of use just like Intel....We dont care for benchmarks or anything we just like the company and will continue to be loyal to them as much as we can. Really if we're set on Intel dont try to make us switch over to AMD. We're happy with what we've got and thats it.

(Ontopic:)
Like Patchou said I dont think there will be much benifit (other than running 64bit code on a 64 bit processor) by releasing Messenger Plus! 64 (It accually has a nice ring to it :P). Plus! doesnt do any complex calculations or anything. I think the only reason would be so it natively runs on a native processor.
RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64 by dutch2005 on 06-06-2005 at 01:23 PM

hmm, well i just like underdogs :P, and heck, if we all knew that amd is better yet we all buy intel, heck it will not be good for inovation ;),

and yup, 32bits edition fo messenger plus! WORKS on windows xp x64, only thing is that you'll see a *32 behind msgplus.exe (reffering to it that its 32bits code being run though WOW64 (windows over Windows)