Shoutbox

Annoying Windows Messenger! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Annoying Windows Messenger! (/showthread.php?tid=45640)

Annoying Windows Messenger! by kierant on 06-01-2005 at 03:28 PM

Ok here's the situation.

I am set up on a wireless network at home with one PC and one laptop.

I always use the laptop but the PC is always on. When I am signed in to MSN Messenger on the laptop I occasionally get the pop up saying that I have been signed in on another computer. I check the PC and as it happens I have been signed into Windows Messenger without my permission.

I have disabled Windows Messenger from running on Start up and also from running in the background using the options menu so why does this happen?

I am considering uninstalling Windows Messenger but I understand that it is unwise to do so.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks a lot.

RE: Annoying Windows Messenger! by Tourist on 06-01-2005 at 03:32 PM

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

This will remove WM from your PC

I don't see any problems removing it.. that's the only way I can think of to stop it running all the time.. I had to do the same.

Only thing I can think of is go to Options and untick 'run Windows Messenger when windows starts' and 'run in background' box.

RE: Annoying Windows Messenger! by kierant on 06-01-2005 at 03:35 PM

Thanks but I have a way of uninstalling already...

The main issue is whether it is advisable to uninstall it as I read in another thread a week or so ago that someone shouldn't uninstall it for whatever reason.

Ideally, for this reason, I would like to keep it installed but for it not to keep signing me in.

Thanks for the reply anyway..(Y)

RE: Annoying Windows Messenger! by Tourist on 06-01-2005 at 03:39 PM

Are the 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' and 'Let Windows Messenger run in background' boxes unticked under Options?

RE: Annoying Windows Messenger! by kierant on 06-01-2005 at 03:41 PM

Both unticked...which is why I don't really understand what's going on here.

Maybe they re-tick after a reboot or something...I'll test it out.

RE: Annoying Windows Messenger! by Sunshine on 06-01-2005 at 03:51 PM

You should never unisntall winmsgr, lots of things depend on it (examples: remote assistance, whiteboard)

See Cookies reply to.... for the proper way to "disable" winmsgr.

RE: Annoying Windows Messenger! by Anubis on 06-01-2005 at 03:53 PM

Don't uninstall Windows Messenger, the APIs it uses control other things such as Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application sharing, it is never a good idea to remove a windows component either.

A simple way to resolve this problem is to follow the "correct way" guide in CookieRevised's reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger. To do that, Windows Messenger will need to be installed. Also this method allows Windows Messenger to still have it's APIs, but it's disabled properly and won't cause a problem.

After following that guide, your problem should be gone, it worked for me and everyone else I know who's had the problem.

RE: Annoying Windows Messenger! by kierant on 06-03-2005 at 01:55 PM

I followed Cookie's instructions both on the laptop and the PC. They worked fine for the laptop, but every time I reboot the PC the option in Windows Messenger to 'Allow WM to run in the background' is always rechecked.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the replies.

RE: Annoying Windows Messenger! by _Humphreys on 06-03-2005 at 01:58 PM

If you install the new Windows Messenger eveything is fixed. So you can just go to Tools>Options>Preferences> Untick 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts'.

RE: Annoying Windows Messenger! by mad_onion on 06-03-2005 at 03:15 PM

what happens if you go to add/remove programs and remove it from the windows components list. does that just remove the shortcuts so you cant open it your self by clicking on it?

RE: Annoying Windows Messenger! by Anubis on 06-03-2005 at 03:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion

what happens if you go to add/remove programs and remove it from the windows components list. does that just remove the shortcuts so you cant open it your self by clicking on it?
As was said before, because of the APIs of Windows Messenger, this is not advised.

quote:
Originally posted by kieranissafe
They worked fine for the laptop, but every time I reboot the PC the option in Windows Messenger to 'Allow WM to run in the background' is always rechecked.
What version of Windows Messenger is installed on the computer, and have you tried upgrading it to the latest version?
RE: Annoying Windows Messenger! by kierant on 06-03-2005 at 03:47 PM

I didn't realise but I only remembered to update to the newest version of WM on the laptop. I have juts downloaded the new version for the PC and I guess I shall wait and see if the problem persists.

Thanks for your troubles.

EDIT: Installed new Windows Messenger on PC and followed Cookie's instructions again but still the problem persists.

A couple of things regarding his instructions though:

When it says 'close windows messenger' does this mean as in close the window or actually exit the application via rightclicking in the task bar?

My Norton Internet Security does not have the option that is specified in his instruction to uncheck scanning of files or whatever it says.

Thanks for all your help anyway, I guess it's not a huge problem, just frustrating:^)