Shoutbox

High ping in games - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: High ping in games (/showthread.php?tid=45689)

High ping in games by Reaper on 06-02-2005 at 04:47 PM

i have just set up my network at home. everything going ok. but wen i play a game (e.g. counter strike) my ping is 200-300 where as usually it is 20-50
i no its because im connected to the internet through another pc but is there anyway to lower my ping?

RE: High ping in games by SikStyles on 06-02-2005 at 05:30 PM

hmm there are commands that you type in the console but i dont know any but you could look in google for commands...

the problem can also be the server your playing on..they might be downloading something or its just your internet connection..it also depends how far the server is from you.

RE: High ping in games by user13774 on 06-02-2005 at 06:04 PM

A ping of 200-300 is still not very bad. But a high ping is also caused by the server you connect to when you play games. If the server sucks you most likely get a high ping too :).

RE: High ping in games by Concord Dawn on 06-02-2005 at 06:08 PM

It also depends on the speed of the computer your networking through.

RE: High ping in games by Reaper on 06-02-2005 at 06:46 PM

im connected to the other computer through a crossover cable so distance from the host isnt a problem (couple of metres). the connection between the computers is 100.00mbps. yesterday wen playin on that server and i was directly connected to the internet my ping was 30-50 so the server is fine. only thing which is left is the network.
any programs i can download are anything to type into DOS?

strange things i have noticed is that i dont lag as much as i should even though my ping is high. although thats a good thing it still affects me playin cos its making me be noobish :P

RE: High ping in games by RaceProUK on 06-02-2005 at 09:37 PM

Like others have said, a ping of 200-300 is not too bad. If you're not getting major lag, then don't worry about it :P
Most 'high' pings are just a reflection of server load.

RE: High ping in games by Reaper on 06-02-2005 at 11:05 PM

the lag is starting to get bad. enough to get me killed lol. well ive known that when playing on UK based servers ping 200 and above will cause some bad lag. so im not too sure. but if anyone is a counter strike games player. do you know any console commands. i tried google but just gives me rubbish

RE: High ping in games by Jhrono on 06-02-2005 at 11:22 PM

Well, if you are using a router, Open the 27015 Port, and do that in your firewall too...And how fast is ur internet connection?Oh and, lowering your graphical settings would provide a better Speed/ping

(CS: Source Player Speaking)

RE: RE: High ping in games by rav0 on 06-03-2005 at 03:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper66613
distance from the host isnt a problem (couple of metres)
When people say "how far the server is" they mean general location, ie region (if in the same country), or country (if not in your country). Usually having a server far from you will mean that the connection is routed through many connecting computers. In your case, where it is lan gaming, the culprit is most likely server load.
RE: RE: High ping in games by Reaper on 06-03-2005 at 10:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper66613
when playing on UK based servers ping 200 and above will cause some bad lag.

i play on UK based servers almost all the time

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
Well, if you are using a router, Open the 27015 Port, and do that in your firewall too...And how fast is ur internet connection?Oh and, lowering your graphical settings would provide a better Speed/ping

(CS: Source Player Speaking)

i am not using a router im using a corssover cable so now setting will need to be adjusted on there. ports are open in my firewall so not a problem there. Umm my internet speed is 300k :| but it hasnt stopped me so far lol, and my graphic detail is quite low anyway cos i have an ATI Radeon 9200SE 8-)
RE: High ping in games by RaceProUK on 06-03-2005 at 11:59 AM

Interesting how long this thread has continued without any mention of routers.

Edit: OK, so they were mentioned. Apologies to all.
What I kinda meant to say is: why hasn't anyone recommended getting a router? He says a direct connection has lower pings, so a router is a good option here.

RE: High ping in games by Jhrono on 06-03-2005 at 12:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk

Interesting how long this thread has continued without any mention of routers.
quote:

Erm...I brought it up..

RE: High ping in games by kao on 06-03-2005 at 12:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Markus
A ping of 200-300 is still not very bad. But a high ping is also caused by the server you connect to when you play games. If the server sucks you most likely get a high ping too :).
200-300 ping in an FPS game like CS is absolutley terrible, almost unplayable i'd say, 20-50 is ok, no higher for these sort of games tbh :undecided:

Check CS options that you have the right rate set aswell, i dont know much about CS but if it was a Q3 engine game i'd know what commands to check :P
RE: High ping in games by Reaper on 06-03-2005 at 03:58 PM

um i realised the problem. the host computer (one im connected to) had loads of spyware causin slow internet connection. but its all fixed now and my ping is fine :D

thanx for all your posts though (Y)

RE: High ping in games by RaceProUK on 06-03-2005 at 04:00 PM

Strange how none of us thought of that. It was kinda staring us in the face, after all.

RE: High ping in games by Jhrono on 06-03-2005 at 04:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao

200-300 ping in an FPS game like CS is absolutley terrible, almost unplayable i'd say, 20-50 is ok, no higher for these sort of games tbh

hm..
until 85 it's nice...But after that, forget it...
RE: RE: High ping in games by YottabyteWizard on 06-03-2005 at 05:27 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kao

200-300 ping in an FPS game like CS is absolutley terrible, almost unplayable i'd say, 20-50 is ok, no higher for these sort of games tbh

hm..
until 85 it's nice...But after that, forget it...

50 is too much for me.... i hate to have in Starcraft 2 green bars or more