Shoutbox

Power Supply question - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Power Supply question (/showthread.php?tid=45693)

Power Supply question by Savior on 06-02-2005 at 06:11 PM

Hi,

I have another question.  Right now I have a 200W Powersupply in my 1.0Ghz compaq PC and the power supply is making loud noises like the fan is working overtime and it happens during alot of process like downloading or playing games.  I did clean it out with air to make sure there is no dust and I'm sure it's coming from the PSU.  Would a 400W PSU compensate for the noise?

thanks

RE: Power Supply question by John Anderton on 06-02-2005 at 06:18 PM

Check if the noise is due to the extra power chords from the power supply touching the fan on ur processor chip .... that used to happen sometimes for me (well after i closed the pc's cabinet :P)

RE: Power Supply question by Savior on 06-02-2005 at 06:43 PM

checked and nothing like that.

RE: Power Supply question by John Anderton on 06-02-2005 at 06:46 PM

Then check if something inside the cabinet is loose mabbe due to the minor vibration that the power supply fan creates ... it mabbe vibrating ... also try to keep ur hand on the cabinet and feel where the vibration is comming from or try to locate the position of the sound and then post it ....
I mean open it and see exactly where is the sound from ... is it from inside the cabinet ??

RE: Power Supply question by Savior on 06-02-2005 at 06:54 PM

No vibration just the fan is going really really fast and the HD shuts off periodically.   ....the sound is coming from the PSU

RE: Power Supply question by RaceProUK on 06-02-2005 at 09:36 PM

How old is the PSU? it's possible it's just wearing out, in which case a new PSU is a good idea.

RE: Power Supply question by lizard.boy on 06-03-2005 at 12:29 AM

its not the wattage that makes up for the sound. its the speed/quality/size of the fan. if your only using a 200w psu you shouldnt need over 300 if you get one with a decent fan.

RE: Power Supply question by Striker on 06-03-2005 at 01:11 AM

ya your problem is.. your compents are demanding more power than the psu can give.. or its reaching the max.. upgrade your psu and the noises will go away.
and btw.. its a compaq.. so you have to buy a compaq psu, the others wont really fit in the case

RE: Power Supply question by Savior on 06-03-2005 at 01:42 AM

I just bought a new one.  I told them at the store that my machine is a compaq TOWER and they said it should be fine so we will see.  Thanks all

RE: Power Supply question by rav0 on 06-03-2005 at 03:20 AM

The noise problem was probably because your PSU had intelligent fan control.

The PSU would lower the voltage to the fan when it detected that the temperature was lower. When you were gaming, more strain was put on the CPU, making more heat, heating up the inside of your case, making the PSU raise the fan voltage back, making the man go faster, making more noise, annoying you.
* rav0 stops to catch his breath

RE: Power Supply question by Savior on 06-03-2005 at 03:26 AM

I know so I need more voltage right?

RE: Power Supply question by dylan! on 06-03-2005 at 03:28 AM

from what i read...i think you need a bigger fan?:S

RE: Power Supply question by Savior on 06-03-2005 at 03:31 AM

Power supplies only have only one type of fan though not bigger

Ok...well I'm gonna replace it tomorrow because this PSU is over 5 years old...thanks for all the help everyone
RE: RE: Power Supply question by rav0 on 06-03-2005 at 03:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Savior
I know so I need more voltage right?

When your computer is under light load, the case temperature will naturally be cooler.

When your case is cooler, your PSU adjusts to be quieter, but it blows less air as well. When your case is warmer, your PSU adjusts to blow more air, but it gets noisy as well.

A higher quality PSU will be quieter than a low quality PSU overall, but will be more expensive. I hate my cheapy Omni PSU that came with my case, it's so loud!