Shoutbox

WTF is this mail :| - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: WTF is this mail :| (/showthread.php?tid=45698)

WTF is this mail :| by John Anderton on 06-02-2005 at 07:20 PM

Ok i got this dodgy mail ... plz tell me what u make of it :S

quote:
Hi - [My mail addy here]

Sent from Gemma Brown.

I recently received a chain letter (A piece of mail that had been forwarded to me) that had your e-mail address in it along with several other peoples.

I thought that as your mail address was on one of these chain letters (forwards) you may have others that you would be willing to send to me. I know that this might sound like a daft request but I can assure you that this is a serious request. I am involved in a university project that is based over a year and we are analysing Internet mail, we are trying to ascertain trends and patterns to come up with some fairly accurate statistics regarding the type of mail that circulates around the internet, we know that 70% of all mail is spam but what we don’t know is what percentage of that spam accounts for chain mail (forwards of any type, something that has been forwarded to you, a piece of mail that has formed part of a chain).

Please send absolutely anything and everything that remotely resembles chain mail, forwards of any type (even the rude ones). My project is based over a year and I need one million forwards for this project to be a success, so please keep them coming and don’t worry I have some pretty huge mail boxes.

I would be grateful if you would be kind enough to forward this piece of mail to all your friends as I need as much help as I can get.

Please send all chain mail (forwards) to the following address.  gemma9@research-project.org

Everyone that helps will receive a copy of our results and findings in January of next year so please help if you can.

Thanks

Gemma

Reference No - (DINVNLTQL7Q)

You will only receive this mail the once, it will not be sent to you again and your e-mail address will not be passed on, however to conform to the law we must give you the opportunity to have your e-mail removed from our list. Please reply with the word delete to have your address removed.
Subject is: This is a reply to the mail you sent me.
RE: WTF is this mail :| by Stigmata on 06-02-2005 at 07:21 PM

i got this...

classed it as spam.

RE: WTF is this mail :| by absorbation on 06-02-2005 at 07:22 PM

lol a new breed of chain e-mails :P or is real :S

RE: WTF is this mail :| by Stigmata on 06-02-2005 at 07:25 PM

thing is, i got 2 at the same time that were similer so i duno..

RE: WTF is this mail :| by John Anderton on 06-02-2005 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
i got this...
classed it as spam.
Me too :cheesy:
Is that a coincidence :S
I only take part in National forward ie stuff that is based on my country  so no one else would have got it .... :-/ Hence i told gmail to spam mark it :grin:

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
chain e-mails or is real
It should be
quote:
lol a new breed of spam chain e-mails :P or is real :S

quote:
or is real
Thats the question .... now that i know someone else got it too ... it aint real :P
RE: WTF is this mail :| by Millenium_edition on 06-02-2005 at 07:35 PM

http://www.research-project.org/ says "under construction", so I wouldn't trust it for a second

RE: WTF is this mail :| by John Anderton on 06-02-2005 at 07:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
http://www.research-project.org/ says "under construction", so I wouldn't trust it for a second
Oh yeah i didnt try that but thx for saying :)

RE: WTF is this mail :| by CookieRevised on 06-02-2005 at 09:17 PM

and for those who might say: "blah, can't hurt anyone if I just send it or play along"...

Yes it does hurt everybody. Sending such crap or "playing along" only puts more strain on various mailservers, making other legit mails going slower and slower...

RE: WTF is this mail :| by John Anderton on 06-02-2005 at 09:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

and for those who might say: "blah, can't hurt anyone if I just send it or play along"...

Yes it does hurt everybody. Sending such crap or "playing along" only puts more strain on various mailservers, making other legit mails going slower and slower...
So infact this mail was spam :dodgy:
But how did that person get my addy cause ....
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I only take part in National forward ie stuff that is based on my country  so no one else would have got it ....
And that was a personal addy that only the my close friends (those i know personally have) :-/
RE: WTF is this mail :| by DJeX on 06-02-2005 at 09:28 PM

Hey who wants to spam the shit out of there inbox with there own message and see if we can fill it? :D

:dodgy:

EDIT:

I did a little search on gemma9 this is what I've found out:

Background

Nationality Spain

Residence Tralee, Ireland
» see where I've been

Education

Home University Universitat d'Alacant, Spain
   Area of Study Business Studies
   Graduation Date September 2003
   Host University Institute of Technology Tralee, Ireland
   Start Date January 2004
   End Date June 2004

Language Skills

Spanish (native)
English (intermediate)
» read my forum posts 

Work Experience

Company/Organisation Styl Models
   Job Industry Tourism / Hotel management
   Job Function Sales
   Country Spain
   Period November 2003 - January 2004

This is from: http://profiles.iagora.com/gemma9/bio.html

Dodgy Google images of gemma9:
http://images.google.ca/images?q=gemma9&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi
OR
http://www.orange-blossom-special.de/photos/obs1_6/pages/gemma9.html

RE: WTF is this mail :| by RaceProUK on 06-02-2005 at 09:41 PM

quote:
university project
quote:
gemma9@research-project.org
If it was a university project, they'd be using a university address. Now, I don't know about you, but I haven't heard of 'Research Project University', nor a uni with .org (they're usually .edu (US) or .ac.uk or similar).
RE: WTF is this mail :| by Ash_ on 06-02-2005 at 09:42 PM

JA, you did do a chain letter :undecided:. You sent it to -dt-, then he forwarded it onto me. and i... blah blah blah. don't you think that maybe someone along the line got this chain letter (the one where you tell all these things about yourself) with all CC and BCC email addresses. maybe yours was one :undecided:. the internet isn't 100% fake :undecided:

RE: WTF is this mail :| by jren207 on 06-03-2005 at 01:22 AM

Actually, i got one ages ago in my hotmail account from a Yahoo account, from a Gemma Brown also.... :|

didn't have the same subject and my gmail inbox is free from it :P

RE: WTF is this mail :| by Guido on 06-03-2005 at 02:45 AM

I can't see how no one mentioned this.

It's not real at all. At all.

It's just a way to build an up to date spam list easily and by "hiring" volunteers that think they are helping a research project about what... oh, right, an University project for stats about what percentage of e-mails are chains! So how the hell are they going to get their percentages if you are only supposed to forward them chain letters? I mean, they'll get a 100% ratio.

Simple: you forward them a chain letter with your friend's addresses, your friends' friends' addresses, your friends' friends' friends' addresses and so on typed just nicely in plain text right there in the "to:" and "cc:" fields of the quoted messages. They parse the emails they receive, grab all the addresses, build an all new spam list from all your friends, friends' friends, friends' friends' friends, etc. and, hopefully, in a month send this very same request to all those addresses as well. Another chain reaction starts, with the result being them getting a fairly good quality database of people who are screaming to receive advertisements. After, em, of course, graduating from that fabulous university that studies e-mail chains *cough* :P

RE: WTF is this mail :| by dylan! on 06-03-2005 at 03:12 AM

even if they were real i still wouldnt wate my time supporting them and whenevr i get mail i just delete it without reading it enless its like an acivation code or my password or something similar or if it has a unique title from someone i know and it COULD be soemthing important i look at it and osmetimes keep it but mostly they send me jokes and pictures and chainletters and crap like that

RE: WTF is this mail :| by guanako on 06-03-2005 at 03:15 AM

how can people fall for this kind of things?

RE: WTF is this mail :| by dylan! on 06-03-2005 at 03:25 AM

um nobody "falls" for it...they either just want to keep it going for something to do, dont really care and forward it and lots of little kids also dont relly know its not real and keep it going on...

RE: WTF is this mail :| by guanako on 06-03-2005 at 03:32 AM

i dont mean who sends them, i mean the people whos 'workin' for this 'university'

RE: WTF is this mail :| by Guido on 06-03-2005 at 03:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ~!dylan!~
um nobody "falls" for it...they either just want to keep it going for something to do, dont really care and forward it and lots of little kids also dont relly know its not real and keep it going on...
He means the people who "fall" for this e-mail (the one in the 1st post) and actually forward forwards to this e-mail address @research-project.org
RE: RE: WTF is this mail :| by guanako on 06-03-2005 at 03:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
quote:
Originally posted by ~!dylan!~
He means the people who "fall" for this e-mail (the one in the 1st post) and actually forward forwards to this e-mail address @research-project.org

thanks thats exactly wat i meant(Y)
RE: WTF is this mail :| by SikStyles on 06-03-2005 at 03:53 AM

you can always send em a message back sayin "BULLSHIT YOU SPAM'

or sometin like that :P, but i wudnt trust this .. i've gotten many 'research' letters like these =/

RE: WTF is this mail :| by WDZ on 06-03-2005 at 03:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
If it was a university project, they'd be using a university address. Now, I don't know about you, but I haven't heard of 'Research Project University', nor a uni with .org (they're usually .edu (US) or .ac.uk or similar).
Yeah, and "research-project" sounds way too generic and obvious. :p
RE: WTF is this mail :| by Guido on 06-03-2005 at 03:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
you can always send em a message back sayin "BULLSHIT YOU SPAM'
Erm.. they probably don't even read the mails they get. Just parse them automatically for addresses.
RE: WTF is this mail :| by mwe99 on 06-03-2005 at 05:18 AM

If you email back you're more likely to get more spam because they know they found an email then, then sell your email address to other spammy people, thus you get more. I would just delete it lol

RE: WTF is this mail :| by Purity on 06-03-2005 at 05:38 AM

I have a mail bomber and im gonna spam the crap out of them.

RE: WTF is this mail :| by ddunk on 06-03-2005 at 05:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
I have a mail bomber and im gonna spam the crap out of them.

For what reason?

1) you'd be giving your email (depending on the program) to them, which is what the entire thread was talking about. (you'd also be giving them your IP)
2) One computer with a few text emails aren't gonnna dent their servers, and if you were planning to send HTML ones, it'd take too long

Have fun if you wanna do it anyway.

Edited for Guido :p

RE: WTF is this mail :| by segosa on 06-03-2005 at 05:52 AM

Not to mention mail bombing is something 9 year olds who were just introduced to the internet do.

RE: WTF is this mail :| by Guido on 06-03-2005 at 05:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
1) you'd be giving your email to them, which is what the entire thread was talking about.
Not necessarily... I'm pretty sure you'd not use your real e-mail when using a mail bomber :P

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
2) One computer with a few text emails aren't gonnna dent their servers, and if you were planning to send HTML ones, it'd take too long
Many text mails are more likely to hang up a server a bit more than less, bigger e-mails. That's my uneducated guess, at least. If anything, at least, their mail crawler will take longer to finish the process. Ahh, revenge! :gay: :gfdrin:
RE: WTF is this mail :| by John Anderton on 06-03-2005 at 07:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
JA, you did do a chain letter . You sent it to -dt-, then he forwarded it onto me. and i... blah blah blah. don't you think that maybe someone along the line got this chain letter (the one where you tell all these things about yourself) with all CC and BCC email addresses. maybe yours was one . the internet isn't 100% fake
Ya but that was from a different mail account (A) :P
I knew he would forward it to u :P and that was the only one i think that i sent to him ... other joke mails i talk to ppl about on msn so no mails :P
And thats the reason why i delete previous Cc's and bcc's be4 sending the mail to others hence if it goes into the hands of a spam bot eventually then other ppl wont suffer :rolleyes:

quote:
Many text mails are more likely to hang up a server a bit more than less, bigger e-mails. That's my uneducated guess, at least. If anything, at least, their mail crawler will take longer to finish the process. Ahh, revenge!
Ya i think ur uneducated guess mabbe right :cheesy:
Guido <3 revenge :P
RE: WTF is this mail :| by saralk on 06-03-2005 at 08:43 AM

you could quickly make a script that would create loads of fake e-mail addresses, and then put it all into an e-mail and send it to them.

RE: WTF is this mail :| by user27089 on 06-03-2005 at 09:12 AM

Just use some type of anonymal & a proxy, run the mail-bomb, untraceable.

RE: WTF is this mail :| by CookieRevised on 06-03-2005 at 10:53 AM

Can I repêat what I said earlier?

quote:
for those who might say: "blah, can't hurt anyone if I just send it or play along"...

just ignore the spam and delete it, do not react upon it, nor send "revenge" mails...
RE: WTF is this mail :| by RaceProUK on 06-03-2005 at 11:55 AM

The mere thought of 'revenge' e-mails takes you down to the spammers' level. Take heed of CookieRevised's advice.

RE: WTF is this mail :| by jren207 on 06-03-2005 at 03:22 PM

Yeh, I remember Cookie saying something like (you may find this post somewhere on these forums, like Cookie's reply to etc. :P, anyway),

"You used to be able to send an email from one side of the world to the other and it would arrive in seconds"

but now, emails take ages to get through :(, like activation codes etc. then i go to bed and then finally receive it like the next day and it's ran out and have to request another... 8-)

RE: RE: WTF is this mail :| by Guido on 06-03-2005 at 03:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
but now, emails take ages to get through :(, like activation codes etc. then i go to bed and then finally receive it like the next day and it's ran out and have to request another... 8-)
Hmm... I guess it's because of your ISP or something... I get activation e-mails and so after just 1 or 2 minutes :-/

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Can I repêat what I said earlier?
Well, it hurts everybody not because it puts strain in servers, but because it adds everybody to yet another spam list :P Of course, what you say apply for the rest of the forwards.
quote:
just ignore the spam and delete it, do not react upon it, nor send "revenge" mails...
Oh I agree, I was joking when I said "ahh revenge"; it'd be nice to spam themselves but they probably won't even notice, let alone care.
RE: WTF is this mail :| by jren207 on 06-03-2005 at 05:47 PM

quote:
Hmm... I guess it's because of your ISP or something... I get activation e-mails and so after just 1 or 2 minutes :-/

no :P, i do get many within about a min, but some take longer...

RE: WTF is this mail :| by CookieRevised on 06-04-2005 at 03:34 AM

It is a well known fact that emails are send/received much slower than they used to. The reason for this, as everybody says, is "increased email traffic". The biggest increase of email traffic isn't because more and more people use email, but because of the spam. More then 50% of send emails is spam related these days (it can be spam or replies to spam or the likes), and some studies even say it is 75%...

In other words, despite the fact that you lower yourself to the level of spammers, you activly help to increase the email traffic and thus slowing down the mail servers if you reply to such bullocks, weither it's for revenge, unsubsribing or what not.

And of course you can say, what's 1 mail between billions. Well not much, but the point is that everybody thinks that way and thus that 1 email becomes millions and millions of unneeded strain on mail servers, slowing the legit mails down...

RE: WTF is this mail :| by -rafy- on 06-04-2005 at 08:19 AM

The refernce number gives it away as fake. Tey tried to hard to make it seem real.