Shoutbox

Homemade webmessenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Homemade webmessenger (/showthread.php?tid=45730)

Homemade webmessenger by etiennea on 06-03-2005 at 12:13 PM

I need lots and lot of people to test my webmessenger entirelly written by a friend and my self has all the basic functions

please post comment on bugs and how to improve it

http://msn.etiennea.t-hh.us

RE: Homemade webmessenger by M73A on 06-03-2005 at 12:31 PM

'http://msn.etiennea.t-hh.us could not be found. Please try again'

RE: Homemade webmessenger by Zephyr on 06-03-2005 at 01:11 PM

I can get to the page alright. But it doesn't sign in at all.

I can see that the function launch() gets the username and password and puts it into the address of the window.open, but i can't see how it checks the username and password to be a passport account so it can log into MSN Messenger.

Sorry, if I've missed something.

EDIT: Works great now, really fast login as well.(Y)

RE: Homemade webmessenger by etiennea on 06-03-2005 at 01:57 PM

well its works fine for over 100 ppl who use it a lot
norton internet security has to be set to allow pop ups
and so does the sp2 bar thing and the google toolbar if you have one but once the window lauches it should sign in fine it notifies you if your password was incorect in a scrolling thing nexto the satus drop down box

RE: Homemade webmessenger by RaceProUK on 06-03-2005 at 03:59 PM

I was able to sign in on it. Didn't test a conversation, but the signin process was extremely quick.

RE: Homemade webmessenger by Zephyr on 06-03-2005 at 04:22 PM

It works great for me now.

Sign in is very fast and some of the features are really good.

It has it's own custom names feature!, which is brilliant.

One thing that maybe useful is if the mouse is hovered over the contact, the email address appears in a tooltip. I know you can check by clicking on the contact then going to alias, but it would be easier.

The tabbed conversations is also a great idea, but for me the tabs at the top of the window are mianly covered by the message box.  Reducing the height of the 'messages' <div> should fix this. It's probably due to the added banner at the bottom.

I think there is meant to be a backgrounf image for the message box, but i can't see one. It's just white.

Lastly, if i close the conversation window, i can't start another conversation with anyone. I have to logout then back in.

This really is a great webmessenger though, well done.

RE: Homemade webmessenger by Dempsey on 06-03-2005 at 04:28 PM

one thing that would make it eve better would be to support Plus! formatting and colour tags.  So that you could see bold, italic, underline, strikethru and colours nicknames and messages, but i really is great work!  Welld one :banana:

RE: Homemade webmessenger by etiennea on 06-03-2005 at 06:24 PM

i am still far away from support for plus!
security, that new ocnversation problem, issues with brower compabiliy (firefox more but not perfectly) are my focus points at the moment

support for plus! i am not sure will ever be a feature it would make the code so complicated at the moment i am trying to keep it simple

RE: Homemade webmessenger by etiennea on 06-08-2005 at 12:07 PM

come on guys i need people to test it big time
a few hundred is not enough

RE: Homemade webmessenger by mwe99 on 06-08-2005 at 12:14 PM

Well the initial status should be "online" not "available" It is a fast sign in process but when i changed my status the page could not be displayed.

RE: Homemade webmessenger by mwe99 on 06-08-2005 at 12:38 PM

I think you should reassure people about the security of the site too, i dont feel comfortable giving my passport and passport password out over some site.

RE: Homemade webmessenger by albert on 06-08-2005 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
I think you should reassure people about the security of the site too, i dont feel comfortable giving my passport and passport password out over some site.

asboluty right! I really really don't feel comfortable either!

RE: Homemade webmessenger by etiennea on 06-08-2005 at 07:55 PM

please post more detailed info about error including browser otherwise i really cannot fix it

how do you want me to reasure people about giving their sign in details ?
as the test phase for the script aproaches an end( probly next week i willl have fixed most bugs) i will get a domain name and make it all look more professional, will that reasure you enough? the underlying code will still be the same though your worries are unfounded

online or available no big difference but if you want i can change that not that it matters in this test phase

RE: Homemade webmessenger by albert on 06-08-2005 at 08:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by etiennea

as the test phase for the script aproaches an end( probly next week i willl have fixed most bugs) i will get a domain name and make it all look more professional, will that reasure you enough?

Probaby not.. but having a more professional interface could :) Actully its the colours and layout that scare me the most, they look like a amateur's site.. Maybe a more professional design could help.. :) ( but i like the webmessenger, its rlly a good work, keep it up (Y) ;-) )

quote:
online or available no big difference

Ye but that could help assure people.. well it would help me ;-)

RE: Homemade webmessenger by Dempsey on 06-08-2005 at 08:10 PM

quote:
you can at least add a disclaimer saying you dont steal passwords etc or somethng along those lines.  But great work, super fast signin
RE: Homemade webmessenger by etiennea on 06-09-2005 at 11:51 AM

sorry but my host is really unprofessional it is down (again) !!!
i dont know for how long however i have been offered a new host and a domain name so I think I will redraw the interface and the site and have a big launch on monday

RE: Homemade webmessenger by Jhrono on 06-09-2005 at 08:27 PM

Cant enter it :(...damn...i'm having probs signing in :(

RE: Homemade webmessenger by etiennea on 06-22-2005 at 12:28 PM

its is now at http://mmclient.com

RE: Homemade webmessenger by tony on 06-22-2005 at 02:12 PM

may i suggest a light color desing? dark for me is ugly :P

RE: Homemade webmessenger by etiennea on 06-22-2005 at 05:26 PM

ok i will do it i need time cos i am very busy at the moment sorry