Shoutbox

Dodgy Zone Labs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Dodgy Zone Labs (/showthread.php?tid=45831)

Dodgy Zone Labs by John Anderton on 06-05-2005 at 07:06 PM

I have always been a ZAP user and the newest version is 5.5.094.000 and i have downloaded it 3 time and everytime i install it the pc restarts half way through the loading in the bootscreen. Then i have to goto safe mode to remove it.
Also in the past week or 2 i could only update my virus definitions a few times ... remaining times it says "Virus Definitions are corrupt please try again" :S
And so i decided to go for Zone Labs' ZASS (Zone Alarm Security Suite) i downloaded the 16.4 Mb file and when i install it my pc restarts when i reach 16 %. It has happened 6 times and everytime on the same file :S
I tried installing in safe mode and that worked but then i cant start my pc so i have to uninstall it via safe mode.
I just needed Zone Labs' Firewall and Av so i got their AV package which has these 2 stuff and then again during the installation the pc reboots .... again i can install in safe mode but then i cant restart.

I have now reinstalled my old AV (F-Prot) and i am able to get the updates :S I scanned it and it says no viruses. I had also scanned via Zone Lab's AV while i could use it in safe mode.

Ok last thing ..... i cant run safe mode with networking after installing ZAP of any package having it (ZASS or ZA+AV)
Btw .... the previous version works fine :S But it bugs me with the upddate .... yeah i can ignore it but keeping it at 60 days but i want my stuff to be up to date :P
I dont wanna shift to another AV or Firewall either ... im happy with Zone labs as they r quite reputed and i have used them for 2 - 2.5 years now. Well unless u have a good  reputed company that gives u a reliable Firewall + AV :P

RE: Dodgy Zone Labs by user13774 on 06-06-2005 at 07:54 AM

First of all... ZoneAlarm firewall is dodgy. I've been using it a few years ago, but as soon as I became active on the Internet I uninstalled it. It prevented me creating/hosting games (EVEN when I opened the right posts) and a few friends of mine can't send file with File transfer plus, because they use ZoneAlarm. (Read this post by RicarDog).

It seems like a strange problem you experience with ZA.... I would to recommend another AV/Firewall, but if you don't want that....

RE: Dodgy Zone Labs by RaceProUK on 06-06-2005 at 10:27 AM

AV - McAfee or AVG
Firewall - XP's own.

You don't really need anything fancier.

RE: Dodgy Zone Labs by John Anderton on 06-07-2005 at 07:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
AV - McAfee or AVG

Firewall - XP's own.

You don't really need anything fancier.

Atm im using F-prot AV and win xp's fw .... the fw its quite good ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Markus

First of all... ZoneAlarm firewall is dodgy. I've been using it a few
years ago, but as soon as I became active on the Internet I uninstalled
it. It prevented me creating/hosting games (EVEN when I opened the
right posts) and a few friends of mine can't send file with File
transfer plus, because they use ZoneAlarm. (Read this post by
RicarDog).

I never had this problem :S But is there any other solution ?? I may think of mailing this whole post to ZA labs later :P

RE: Dodgy Zone Labs by John Anderton on 06-09-2005 at 11:05 AM

Bump .... does anyone know what to do :-/

RE: Dodgy Zone Labs by Sunshine on 06-09-2005 at 01:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Get another Firewall (Sygate f.e.)
RE: Dodgy Zone Labs by John Anderton on 06-09-2005 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
quote:
Get another AV (Sygate f.e.)
Av :S It shows a firewall here :S
I wanted a combined fw+av thing as its easier to keep both upto date that way :)
ZAP tell's about updates if it detects the av that is (if its a well known one) so thats good too ;)
Any idea of a combined firewall+av ? i know only zone labs and symantec :(
PS: I dont mind buying something but it should be worth it and renowned too :P
RE: Dodgy Zone Labs by Chris4 on 06-09-2005 at 07:27 PM

I tried my best to find you a combined AV and Firewall.
Here's what I came up with:

Norton Internet Security 2005 15 day trial

Features:
# Norton AntiVirus™ 2005
# Norton™ Personal Firewall 2005
# Norton AntiSpam™ 2005
# Norton™ Parental Control

Try the trial. If you like it, might be worth buying.

Hope that helps :D

RE: Dodgy Zone Labs by Sunshine on 06-09-2005 at 08:26 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Get another AV (Sygate f.e.)
Av :S It shows a firewall here :S
I wanted a combined fw+av thing as its easier to keep both upto date that way :)
ZAP tell's about updates if it detects the av that is (if its a well known one) so thats good too ;)
Any idea of a combined firewall+av ? i know only zone labs and symantec :(
PS: I dont mind buying something but it should be worth it and renowned too :P
Sorry for that typo...edited, ofcourse i ment firewall.

Asfor Firewall with AV: besides norton i don't know any, but i'm not a norton fan (computer slows down, and some other personal experience i had with it).

There's plenty of good AV programs outthere, some examples are:
Avast
AntiVir Personal Edition
RE: Dodgy Zone Labs by Concord Dawn on 06-09-2005 at 08:50 PM

If you are on a home network, get a router/firewall. Then get a decent antivirus. You don't need more than that.

RE: Dodgy Zone Labs by Dane on 06-09-2005 at 08:59 PM

Actually, I wouldnt recommend Norton Internet Security 2005, I'd recommend Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition.

It includes...
Norton AntiVirus 2005
Norton AntiSpyware 2005
Norton Personal Firewall 2005
Norton AntiSpam 2005
Norton Parental Controls

It is an ALL-IN-ONE AntiVirus, Firewall and Spyware protection and removal.  And by the way, the Spyware Protection is real time.

Download: Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition Trial (Direct)

RE: Dodgy Zone Labs by segosa on 06-09-2005 at 09:25 PM

5 Norton products running at once? Do you just WANT your PC to slow to a halt or what?

RE: Dodgy Zone Labs by Dane on 06-09-2005 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
5 Norton products running at once? Do you just WANT your PC to slow to a halt or what?
Norton doesnt slow your PC that much.  I am running 512MB of RAM and 868MhZ Processor and my computer still starts very fast...and by the way, I am running that Norton Suite.  I even ran it on 128MB of RAM and it still loaded fast enough.

If you configure it properly it will run fine without slowing you down dramatically.
RE: Dodgy Zone Labs by paperless on 06-09-2005 at 10:00 PM

You could try the firewall i use, its rpetty good actually.

BlackICE server protection

:P

RE: Dodgy Zone Labs by John Anderton on 06-11-2005 at 08:48 AM

quote:

Asfor Firewall with AV: besides norton i don't know any, but i'm not a norton fan (computer slows down, and some other personal experience i had with it).

There's plenty of good AV programs outthere, some examples are:
Avast
AntiVir Personal Edition

Since my current AV (F-Prot) is doing quite well and is really fast so i think ill stick with it. I'll try the Firewall that u suggested. I have downloaded it. Ill install it too now :D

quote:
but i'm not a norton fan (computer slows down, and some other personal experience i had with it).

Same here on both counts :(