Shoutbox

linux and windows - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: linux and windows (/showthread.php?tid=45896)

linux and windows by Mystiek on 06-06-2005 at 08:13 PM

what is the difference between linux and windows I want gladly to know it:D

RE: linux and windows by Ezra on 06-06-2005 at 08:18 PM

First of all Windows was made by Microsoft and linux was invented by Linus Torvalds.

They are basicly two very different operating systems, with different ways of working and the way they look.

If you would like to see how it works, you could download a Linux LiveCD cd, this is a full operating system, but it loads from CD and you don't need to install anything.

There are a lot of Linux Distro's made by different people and company's and most of the Linux Distro's are free.

RE: linux and windows by Caboose on 06-06-2005 at 08:24 PM

Also, Linux is completely free :)

I recommend downloading Knoppix as a start, but there's many, many, many other distributions you can download.

RE: linux and windows by Mystiek on 06-07-2005 at 12:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
First of all Windows was made by Microsoft and linux was invented by Linus Torvalds.

They are basicly two very different operating systems, with different ways of working and the way they look.

If you would like to see how it works, you could download a Linux LiveCD cd, this is a full operating system, but it loads from CD and you don't need to install anything.

There are a lot of Linux Distro's made by different people and company's and most of the Linux Distro's are free.

bedankt:P

quote:
Originally posted by Caboose

I recommend downloading Knoppix as a start, but there's many, many, many other distributions you can download.

thanks a lot(Y)
RE: linux and windows by paperless on 06-09-2005 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Caboose

Not all linux destributions are free, Suse per example, isnt.
RE: linux and windows by Caboose on 06-09-2005 at 10:08 PM

Really? I didn't know that *-)

Well, most are free... :P

RE: linux and windows by wj on 06-09-2005 at 10:18 PM

All of them have at least a free base, But they can sell "additional" software with threr distro.