Shoutbox

Network problem....yet again - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Network problem....yet again (/showthread.php?tid=45966)

Network problem....yet again by Reaper on 06-08-2005 at 10:27 AM

lol sorry bout all these posts. i just seem to have 101 problems at the mo :P

now im connected to the internet as part of a network, when i host a server for an online game the people who try and connect to it cant seem to find the server.
For example, if i host a server on Counter Strike: Source. i tell me friends the ip address and the port, they type it in and nothing comes up. And for all of those who have knowledge of counter strike, i add my own server to the favourites and it comes up saying thats there people playing.
I guess is something to do with a firewall setting.

There are 2 computers on this network (host and client, i am the client). The host is directly connected to the internet and the client connects to the internet/host via a crossover cable

RE: Network problem....yet again by Vilkku on 06-08-2005 at 10:30 AM

Got firewall? Does your ISP make you connect trough an router?

EDIT: I guess I read it too fast... Look in the game manual or FAQ or something, they usually have the ports that need to be open for hosting games.

RE: Network problem....yet again by Reaper on 06-08-2005 at 10:32 AM

i have open the ports on the client but not on the host. would that fix the problem or is it one step towards fixing it?

RE: Network problem....yet again by RaceProUK on 06-08-2005 at 12:05 PM

You'll probably need to forward the ports on the host to the client.

Or get a router.

RE: Network problem....yet again by Chris4 on 06-08-2005 at 06:45 PM

Are you telling your friends the correct IP address?

To find your IP address, go to Control Panel > Network Connections > Double click your connection > Support tab > Then your IP Address should be shown.

If you used a website that tells you your IP address, they can sometimes be wrong.

RE: Network problem....yet again by Reaper on 06-08-2005 at 09:09 PM

im telling them the right one cos i added the my server to the favourites list and its come up 8-)

would forward the ports to the client mean open the ports on the host?

RE: Network problem....yet again by shine on 06-09-2005 at 06:25 AM

Does your friends connect from outside your network or are they inside your network?

RE: Network problem....yet again by Reaper on 06-09-2005 at 09:25 AM

i have opened the neccessary prots for the game on the host but still no luck.

my friends connect outside the network (through the internet)

RE: Network problem....yet again by Chris.1 on 06-09-2005 at 10:37 AM

You have to forward requests on the appropriate ports from the client machine to the host machine. I don't know what software you are using on the host to share the internet connection, but forwarding ports is usually tricky in this situation.

RE: Network problem....yet again by Reaper on 06-09-2005 at 03:47 PM

i havnt used any special software to help setup my network. all i have done is to allow internet connection sharing on the host

is there anywhere that can talk me through on how to forward the ports or shud i google?

[Edit] I googled and it seems that you can only forward ports if you are using a router. im not using a router and i probably dont plan on getting one unfourtunateley. Can you only forward ports on a router or can it be done on a crossover cable

RE: Network problem....yet again by YottabyteWizard on 06-09-2005 at 04:21 PM

In the server enable that port for the network, if you're running WIndows XP PRO with SP2 and have the integrated firewall enabled: Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> Advanced Options -> (select your network conection, normally LOCAL AREA NETWORK) -> Configuration -> Add the Program and its port. In the "Name or IP direction..." in the server write name/IP of that computer, in the client put the name/IP of the server in your network. Should work. (Sorry if some places are wrong written, im using WXP in spanish).

RE: Network problem....yet again by Reaper on 06-09-2005 at 09:47 PM

i tried it but is doesnt work. im not sure if i did it right. does anyone one have a proper translantion for what Yotta was trying to do?

[Edit] Jus realised, the windows firewall is turned off on both the host and the client.

RE: Network problem....yet again by shine on 06-12-2005 at 01:50 AM

Check if a third party firewall exists... How is the host connected to internet...is there a router for host? if so forward the ports in the router (enable DMZ...easy :wink: )

RE: Network problem....yet again by Reaper on 06-12-2005 at 11:06 AM

sorted the problem ^^. lol i realised my friends could connect through the same ip as before (one using without the network) the only problem is that they didnt bother checking 8-)

thanx for your help tho (Y)