Shoutbox

How do I disable this?? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How do I disable this?? (/showthread.php?tid=46029)

How do I disable this?? by Nathan on 06-09-2005 at 04:41 PM

Hiya all,
How do i disable this windows messenger without installing the new one???
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=477077

RE: How do I disable this?? by Millenium_edition on 06-09-2005 at 04:44 PM

err... you can't? or wait, you can, but it is not recommended... unless you want your messenger client to be open for vulnerabities and take the risk to compromise security of your computer.

RE: How do I disable this?? by absorbation on 06-09-2005 at 04:44 PM

Well just update :P

Or tweak the registry, the server wants you to update due to the way it runs and it may contain sercury fixes :P

RE: How do I disable this?? by Nathan on 06-09-2005 at 04:46 PM

Oh I dont use Windows messenger anyhow. So what it would it affect apart from remote desktop?

RE: How do I disable this?? by The Napster on 06-09-2005 at 05:07 PM

Update and/or then run Messenger disable, don't tick un Remove though, some Plus! features need Messenger.

Edit: Here is a more up to date version...

RE: How do I disable this?? by Nathan on 06-09-2005 at 05:22 PM

I dont want to update it though!

RE: How do I disable this?? by Anubis on 06-09-2005 at 05:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
I dont want to update it though!
Just out of curiousity, why do you not wish to update? As long as you  don't open Windows Messenger, you won't be asked to update. And is there any harm in updateing once?
RE: How do I disable this?? by Nathan on 06-09-2005 at 05:34 PM

Well because when i did update it it kept on annoying me!

RE: How do I disable this?? by Anubis on 06-09-2005 at 05:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
Well because when i did update it it kept on annoying me!
Sorry, I don't quite understand, when you updated how did it keep annoying you? What did it do after you updated and allowed it to install the updates?
RE: How do I disable this?? by CookieRevised on 06-09-2005 at 05:36 PM

msg_plus_freak, update your Windows Messenger! As said in this thread there are (serious) security risks which has been fixed in the updates. Even if you don't use Windows Messenger as your msn chat client, it is very recommended that you update it anyways. It's not for "fun" that the message is shown...

MSN Messenger (and many MSN Messenger addons/plugins) need and use Windows Messenger stuff, even if you don't know it. So update it...

It is never a good idea to mess with things like this and to keep using an outdated security risk version in some forced way. Those update popups will only show when there is a very good reason to update; they wont show when there is only a newer interface available (eg: msn messenger 6.2.208 users will not see a popup with "there is a new version"; even if msn messenger 7 is already out). As I said, if the updates weren't security related and/or important, the message wont not pop up.

To say it in yet another way: the update popups are not the common "there is a new version" popup and thus can't be compare to such popups... They are the "there is a security risk in the version you're using, don't use it anymore and download the security fix" popups. There is a huge difference...

Anyways, after updating you still can "disable" Windows Messenger if you like so it won't bug you with starting up. But please follow the instructions given in my post (see link in my reply below) if you want to do it in the correct way.

quote:
Originally posted by The Napster
Update and/or then run Messenger disable, don't tick un Remove though, some Plus! features need Messenger.

Edit: Here is a more up to date version...
There is far more to it then simply using an undocumented and plain ripped-off program to disable Windows Messenger in the correct way. Please follow the detailed instructions given on "CookieRevised's reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger".