Shoutbox

What do you think? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: What do you think? (/showthread.php?tid=46082)

What do you think? by xpirdwingz on 06-10-2005 at 04:12 PM

Hey guyz and galz.. University: important, not everything? I don't really want to go..i'm not saying no, i still have a year left.. Opinions? I know its my choice, but let me know.. x x x

RE: What do you think? by MeEtc on 06-10-2005 at 04:18 PM

sure, university is important but its not your only option. also consider  taking up a trade, It doesn't take asmuch time to complete and results can be well worth it if you plan carefully. Example, plumbers and electricians are in extremly high demand where I am. spend 2 years in trade school, year or 2 as an apprentice, and you're set.

I am currently finshing first year of uni myself, and consider myself broke. It's quite expensive, but I will have pretty much a guaranteed job when I finish the 4 year engineering program

RE: What do you think? by haydos on 06-10-2005 at 04:19 PM

As you said it youself. Uni can be important but its not everything. Speaking on the view of an Australian here, many people tend to think too hard about Uni being the most important thing in life. If you dont make the cut off, or you dont want to go, there are other options like TAFE (or another countries equivalent). And if you still have a year left, there is plenty of time to decide. I had no idea what i wanted to do in the future and it was just two days ago that i did a careers test (I think its called Jig-cal or something along those lines). With help from that I have decided that I want to go to Uni and i now know what courses I want to study there.

Also, if you dont really want to go to Uni, you can always take a year or two off and then go to Uni at a later stage if you want to then.

Ultimately, the best thing to do is look at all the options and stay where you will be most happy in the future.

RE: What do you think? by absorbation on 06-10-2005 at 04:47 PM

You really should do it as a degree is common now and employers see it as a basic for good jobs, my sister got a 1st with honurs which is top grade for her ict degree.

However she has forgoten nearly everything on her degree, and does not even own a computer. She got a great job with great pay and does not use her skills they hired her becuase of her degree :P

RE: What do you think? by mwe99 on 06-10-2005 at 05:00 PM

Go to your schools advisor and they can recommend ideas and talk through the options with you

RE: What do you think? by user27089 on 06-10-2005 at 05:04 PM

University is a good place to go if you want to go "high-places", if you know what I mean...

I'm not saying you need it, but if you want to majorly expand your knowledge, then university is the place to go, my brother was a very intelligent guy, and he said uni was a completely new experience, with a lot of stuff he hadn't even heard of =p... You'll learn a lot of new stuff.

I am still stuck in this decision, it's a huge choice, do you want to see your mates, do you want to end your education... In the end it's up to you...

I would say no, but it's not me that matters, tis you.

RE: What do you think? by xpirdwingz on 06-10-2005 at 06:31 PM

Grrr!! I just wrote this nice paragraph, lol..but I musta hit backspace and the page went back..gahh..
  Anyway, lol, thanks everyone for your input :). I've already been to my connexions adviser and we explored what choices I'm open to. I'm considering either apprenticeship or uni.. Not being able to see my mates is no problem for me, lol, trust me :P.
  Absorbation- that's fair say.. but say, a person with a very good degree is hired..but can't do their job right? It's fine if they have a degree and can work well..but if they can't, whats to show for it? I'll apply for uni anyway, better safe than sorry, right :) Some of us are cut out for uni, some aren't. I'm not sure which one I fall into yet.
   I agree, I could always get back to education at a later time..luckily! I know of some that are in education at 30+.
   [Edit: Oh yeah!! We have something called Kudos here..where we answer a bunch of questions and at the end come up with a suggestion of careers..Btw, is there a Kudos site somewhere or a download? I'll look into it now..]

RE: What do you think? by Stigmata on 06-10-2005 at 06:36 PM

Go :D

further your education :)

RE: What do you think? by absorbation on 06-10-2005 at 06:38 PM

My sister does work well in her job but she does not use her degree skills. It's an ict job but becuase of her degree grade they hired her :S

This shows how people look for what's on paper and dont always go for experience. However experience is important so you may start off in a ok job not using your skilles e.g. my sister and use them when she has experience.

She's going for a new job becuase she does not feel like she is using her skills, so go for a degree that your interested in ;)

RE: What do you think? by gif83 on 06-10-2005 at 06:40 PM

from what i have seen and experienced it all depends on what you want to do as a career... different jobs require different qualifications... some require experience more than a degree others need a degree as a minimum requirement..

so what is it you want to do?

RE: What do you think? by xpirdwingz on 06-10-2005 at 07:10 PM

Gahh..i messed up my message again.. i forgot to post and then i refreshed lol. I was just gunna say that what if i'm not interested in any particular subjects?..thats not gunna help me much.. :(  [Edit: i'm still figuring it out..]

RE: What do you think? by gif83 on 06-10-2005 at 07:31 PM

well what would you study in uni then?

RE: What do you think? by xpirdwingz on 06-13-2005 at 08:58 PM

Probably English... i duno

RE: What do you think? by mwe99 on 06-13-2005 at 09:10 PM

lol i told you go to your schools/college advisor and book an appointment with them, they're trained for this..

RE: What do you think? by guanako on 06-14-2005 at 12:11 AM

I am in the same position i just finished high school and im just working for now but i still dont know wat next for me one is $$ money issues and it seems weird because i was used to going to school and now  its all gonn change im confused too :s

RE: What do you think? by shine on 06-14-2005 at 12:41 AM

Finishing school is not everything...if you have a chance to study further, grab it... If you miss it..you will certainly repent at a later stage of your life when you find that there is no chance to go further in your career just becase you do not have proper qualification.

Think about yourself, what you are interested in and go for that.. Usually you may not have an idea...so consult an adviser.. he will guide you if you cannot decide.

RE: What do you think? by L. Coyote on 06-14-2005 at 01:08 AM

It's not a must-do thing. I'm not going to continue my studies at uni. I just don't see the point. (Y)

RE: What do you think? by Fraisie on 06-14-2005 at 01:17 AM

Very important. I'm very lucky I got to go back to my studies at the university. It will open a lot of doors, career wise, for me.

RE: What do you think? by Joa on 06-14-2005 at 01:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by xpirdwingz
Hey guyz and galz.. University: important, not everything? I don't really want to go..i'm not saying no, i still have a year left.. Opinions? I know its my choice, but let me know.. x x x

it is completely up to you... but because i am attending university, i'd say -> go to uni.

depending on what you are going into, university can just take up 3-4 years. you learn new things and in the end you get the assets for getting a better job of your choice. if you actually have the choice to go to uni, than go. i have a friend who said he just wants to live life being free and all that, so he didn't go to university even though he had a scholarship... it's been about 5 years and the bad part is that he regrets it now, and wishes he went when he had the chance. he tried studying now, but he basically fell behind, so it was really hard for him to get back into it all and he had to quit.

than again, there are people who quit uni. even in their last year. simply because they feel it's not for them, and will be happier not studying.

i dunno, if you are sure you won't regret it than don't go. but consider going if you have the opportunity... those don't come often, and you can always quit.
RE: What do you think? by guanako on 06-14-2005 at 01:55 AM

wats the best computer related career out there? i want to study somethin like networkprogramer is that any good or wat would u guys recomend