Shoutbox

Backup/Archive Program to arrange files to fit DVDs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Backup/Archive Program to arrange files to fit DVDs (/showthread.php?tid=46111)

Backup/Archive Program to arrange files to fit DVDs by rav0 on 06-11-2005 at 06:06 AM

I have Nero BackItUp, does anyone know whether the backups made are 'backup type files', or whether they are the normal files, just copied. I want to archive my files, not backup, before I format and reinstall. That is, I want to burn the files, so I can access them using a regular file browser. I don't want to just burn them the usual way, because I will have to work out how to arrange the files to get them to fill up the DVDs.

That is a bit confusing, I hope you will understand what I mean. If you want me to clarify anything, please ask. I am supposed to have Windows installed by tonight, so a quick reply would be appreciated.

Update
Put more simply:

I want to split up 14 GB of files/folders to fit nicely onto 4 DVDs. (Single layer DVDs, 4.38 GB each)

RE: Backup Programs by FrozernFire on 06-11-2005 at 06:14 AM

you can check out retrospect here

RE: Backup Programs by rav0 on 06-11-2005 at 06:23 AM

Will Retrospect let me browse the DVD that I backup to like a normal data DVD-ROM? I can't seem to find out at the website.

If anyone has any other recomandations on programs that will let me browse backup disks normally, please post them. I want to use a backup program to help me so that it can organise my folders to make the best use of each disk that I use, rether than me havig to calculate folder sizes, and try combinatios of organising them myself.

RE: Backup Programs by FrozernFire on 06-11-2005 at 06:27 AM

i am not so sure. currently i am using it to backup to an external hard drive, so retrospect might not be for you

RE: Backup Programs by rav0 on 06-11-2005 at 08:35 AM

Put more simply:

I want to split up 14 GB of files/folders to fit nicely onto 4 DVDs. (Single layer DVDs, 4.38 GB each)