Shoutbox

Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Forum: Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+------ Thread: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats (/showthread.php?tid=46238)

Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Patchou on 06-13-2005 at 04:45 PM

Hello everybody,

for those of you who are wondering what I've been doing since the last release, here is the answer: the custom sounds feature that was added 3 months ago quickly became more popular than anticipated and because of that, the servers had to be changed, the scripts had to be optimized, the database had to be reconstructed, etc...
During the last weeks, I did my best to fix all the little glitches that were still annoying some people from time to time (examples: a sound cannot be downloaded by a contact, random sounds always return the same thing, servers are down in the middle of the day, ...). I'm now happy to report that the sound servers' lift-off is complete and that everything is working better than ever! I highly encourage anybody who had troubles with the feature before to try again and join the millions of people who are now using the feature on a daily basis.

And to conclude this little announcement, it is my pleasure to announce that the statistics page is now back, fully operational, and much more detailed than before. It is updated once a day and you can access it at http://sounds.msgplus.net. Two months ago I was reporting 20 million sounds being exchanged. This statistic was based on several assumptions that I thought were right and, well, they weren't... now that the real statistics have finally been compiled, the astonishing number of sounds that were sent since the first day is floating around 300,000,000!!! no wonder the servers were agonizing every day at peak time ;).

Have fun sending sounds and continue to enjoy this year's hot summer! (or cold winter, depending where you are living).

Patchou

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Dempsey on 06-13-2005 at 04:49 PM

thats great work Patchou!  Keep up the good work :D

And thanks for the link to MPSounds.net  :banana:

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Veggie on 06-13-2005 at 04:58 PM

Well done Patchou, it really is such a good feature (Y)

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by user35870 on 06-13-2005 at 05:06 PM

Thanks patchou! thats great :D

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by absorbation on 06-13-2005 at 05:11 PM

wooooooooooo hooooooooooo great little page, dempsey you should work on using some stats about sounds after your college work ;)

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Jolo on 06-13-2005 at 05:21 PM

As always, great work!

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by lopardo on 06-13-2005 at 05:25 PM

Awesome, as usual :banana:

Keep up the good work and thanks for everything :)

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by tony on 06-13-2005 at 05:29 PM

hooray! now the sounds will work again :banana: great job!

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Stigmata on 06-13-2005 at 07:10 PM

Nice to see the sounds page back up

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Bionic on 06-13-2005 at 07:19 PM

Great Job Patchou! Keep it up! :)

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Dempsey on 06-13-2005 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
wooooooooooo hooooooooooo great little page, dempsey you should work on using some stats about sounds after your college work ;)
yea i'm planning a few new things soon :P
RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by joyceawh on 06-13-2005 at 08:41 PM

quote:
yea i'm planning a few new things soon 

Hurray!!! I'll waiting new sounds, I wish those coming as soon as possible.*-)

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Guido on 06-13-2005 at 08:48 PM

Woah, big stats :shocked:

(Y):D

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Chrono on 06-13-2005 at 10:03 PM

nice to know that the stats page is back :cheesy:

Well done pitcho (Y)

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Choli on 06-13-2005 at 10:19 PM

nice, Patchou... thanks for all...

the stats page is very interesting, and there some sounds that really deserve be in my library :p

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by linx05 on 06-14-2005 at 02:39 AM

Wow great job! There are so many sounds that are non-english! Does anyone know which language uses the sounds/Plus! more than anyone?

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by matty on 06-14-2005 at 04:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by http://sounds.msgplus.net/
Disclaimer: sounds provided by the Custom Sounds service of Messenger Plus! are sounds created by users for users therefore, we cannot be hold responsible for the content of any sound provided by this service. We do our best to moderate the database on a daily basis, sounds not suitable for a general audience are marked as private and as a result, are blocked from the statistics and the "get random sound" feature. Due to the number of sounds that are exchanged every day on this service, it is very likely that some sounds escape from our monitoring, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Shouldn't the bolded word be held?
RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Fraisie on 06-14-2005 at 08:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coobydoo
sweet cant wait:D

Hmmm cant wait for what ? :/
RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Pr0xY on 06-14-2005 at 09:40 PM

Great Job Patchou, the server has running alot better lately. 

Although modding the sounds has become more of a challenge.  :/

All in all its great, keep up the good work (And I'll keep helping with the sounds) and I know everything will be worked out. 

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by ZrednaZ on 06-15-2005 at 12:15 AM

Thanks, but how are the Plus! usage statistics you promised us several months ago coming along? ;)

I believe the number of Danish users was at 65k back in august 2004, I'd appreciate an update on this.:)

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by [MR] on 06-15-2005 at 12:21 AM

kewl and thanks for the great work on fixing the problem!

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by rav0 on 06-16-2005 at 07:00 AM

Why is it so hard to get back to http://www.msgplus.net/ from http://sounds.msgplus.net/? Perhaps the sounds page could get the same header as these forums.

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by jren207 on 06-17-2005 at 12:11 AM

Brilliant work Patchou! (y)

Now I can annoy impress others with custom sounds without any errors :P

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by kolch on 07-02-2005 at 02:09 PM

I love this feature....Only problem is that I always use msn and listen to media player at the same time...Is it possible to fix this feature so that media player is muted/paused/volume adjusted so that I can hear the custom sounds?

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Purity on 07-02-2005 at 07:46 PM

This is awsome!

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Tasha on 07-02-2005 at 07:55 PM

Great work. :)

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by kolch on 07-03-2005 at 08:13 AM

Oh yeah another thing, it seems I can't create sounds from my .wma files. Anyone able to explain why?

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by John Anderton on 07-03-2005 at 08:34 AM

Good job patchou :D
I also had a problem that if i use a sound for the 1st time then its to be uploaded to the server rite ???
Then if i dont use it for a few weeks then i again use it then it reuploads it :S
This mainly happens to the sounds that i have made :(
Everything else is great .... keep up the good work ;)

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Chestah on 07-03-2005 at 08:40 AM

Nice work Patch :) - Looking forward to future releases!

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Patchou on 07-03-2005 at 05:44 PM

Unused sounds are deleted from time to time on the server so yes, sometimes, the sound will be re-uploaded, that's normal :).

As for supporting wma files, I can't do it because of the size of the dlls I would have to distribute to uncompress them, sorry (if you knwo an alternative, please tell me :)).

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Dane on 07-03-2005 at 08:36 PM

Hey Patchou,

Good job on the sounds improvements and things.  Maybe you could open up the database and create an official msgplus sounds site (like, so you can browse for individual sounds) and apply clickable links...like, msgplus://sounds.msgplus.net/gets.php?soundid=339492 or something like that.  Then all Public sounds could be browsed and stuff by users...might be a good idea. :p.

RE: RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by kolch on 07-03-2005 at 09:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
As for supporting wma files, I can't do it because of the size of the dlls I would have to distribute to uncompress them, sorry (if you knwo an alternative, please tell me :)).

Righteo....makes sense. I just wondered was all. It was slightly frustrating as much of my music library is recorded in that format but as I survived without custom sounds, I will manage just as well making them from my .mp3 files.
RE: RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by rav0 on 07-04-2005 at 01:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou

Could it be done using Windows Media Player? (I'm no expert)
RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Choli on 07-04-2005 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
the user would have to have installed a compatible verison of WMP and I think Patchou does not want anyone to have 3rd party programs installed to assure that Plus will work.

On the other hand, it's true that Plus could use WMP's dll to decode wma files if Plus detects WMP is installed.

Anyway, if you have WMP installed the easiest thing to do may be open the wma in WMP and save it as MP3 (this can be done in WMP, can't it?)
RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by ShawnZ on 07-04-2005 at 08:25 PM

Patchou: Would it be possible to run a constant spider on the admin section that gets the info from each sound, doing about 1 sound a second to keep load down, then just write the name and hash in a file and upload to a seperate server (again to reduce load) for searching through?

RE: RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by rav0 on 07-05-2005 at 02:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
quote:
the user would have to have installed a compatible verison of WMP and I think Patchou does not want anyone to have 3rd party programs installed to assure that Plus will work.
Windows Media Player is part of Windows, it must be there.

quote:
Anyway, if you have WMP installed the easiest thing to do may be open the wma in WMP and save it as MP3 (this can be done in WMP, can't it?)
It can't be done.
RE: RE: RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by CookieRevised on 07-05-2005 at 01:31 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Windows Media Player is part of Windows, it must be there.
WMP isn't a part of Windows and can be uninstalled, left out or whatever. It is however true that in most cases, some version is shipped within Windows, but it by no means a part of it. And then there is also the issue of compatibility.
RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Choli on 07-05-2005 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
WMP isn't a part of Windows and can be uninstalled, left out or whatever. It is however true that in most cases, some version is shipped within Windows, but it by no means a part of it. And then there is also the issue of compatibility.
and also, old versions of WMP (those that came withe Win98, for example) may not handle newer wma files correctly
RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Patchou on 07-07-2005 at 05:25 AM

Well, as far as I know, you need some extra redis files to manipulate wma files, even if Media Player is installer. That's why I actually didn't add support for the wma format. If I'm wrong and anybody can point me to an api of the player to decode wma into a pcm wav file, I'D be glad to add support for it :).

RE: RE: RE: RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by rav0 on 07-08-2005 at 02:15 AM

quote:
WMP isn't a part of Windows and can be uninstalled, left out or whatever. It is however true that in most cases, some version is shipped within Windows, but it by no means a part of it.
Windows Media Player is a part of Windows.
RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by dylan! on 07-08-2005 at 02:17 AM

wich thread is going ot have the EXCITING AND GREAT news?:S:P(A)

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by lopardo on 07-08-2005 at 03:06 AM

quote:

It's in Add/remove Windows components, however it will only delete the shortcuts. To completely remove it, check this out, however it's not that big and maybe some program requires it, so I'd leave it.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by CookieRevised on 07-08-2005 at 11:38 AM

quote:
quote:
WMP isn't a part of Windows and can be uninstalled, left out or whatever. It is however true that in most cases, some version is shipped within Windows, but it by no means a part of it.
no it isn't... (also the sshots proof nothing). It isn't because it is from Mircosoft and because a minimum version is installed by default that it is a part of Windows itself. It can be uninstalled and removed completely at any times although MS doesn't want you to do. Windows does not need it to function (unlike the MSIE-engine) and it isn't part of Windows itself.
And many people do uninstall it completely... hence it is tricky to design something which depends on it (although not impossible of course).
RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Choli on 07-08-2005 at 07:36 PM

quote:
just a small note more: The fact that a program isn't shown in the add/remove list, that doesn't mean that the program can't be uninstalled/removed from the system.

As an example of a microsoft program that is installed in the Windows installation, that does not appear in the list but that it can be uninstalled:  windows messenger.
RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by c33brown on 07-15-2005 at 02:46 AM

Patchou,
there was a upgrade to custom sounds 2 or 3 nights ago and every since i have been having trouble sending custom sounds could you check on it i can't even send premade souds without getting the trouble contacting server message. and i have not changed any settings on my security settings

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Guido on 07-15-2005 at 03:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by c33brown
Patchou,
there was a upgrade to custom sounds 2 or 3 nights ago and every since i have been having trouble sending custom sounds could you check on it i can't even send premade souds without getting the trouble contacting server message. and i have not changed any settings on my security settings
Same problem here:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=47554
RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by wj on 07-15-2005 at 06:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
quote:
Patchou,
Same problem here:

I'm looking into this issue, It seems to be mostly prevalant durring peak times, I'm hoping to have some sort of explanation for it this weekend at the latest.
RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by John Anderton on 07-15-2005 at 06:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
quote:
Patchou,
Same problem here:

I'm looking into this issue, It seems to be mostly prevalant durring peak times, I'm hoping to have some sort of explanation for it this weekend at the latest.
I couldnt send sounds yesterday (thursday) Thats the 1st time its happened. And my sound (ones i record) should be uploaded only once right ??? If i use a sound after a few weeks then it is reuploaded :S Any problem ???
Is this the right thread .... if not then please direct me ..... ill re post it there ;)
RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Dempsey on 07-15-2005 at 07:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton

I couldnt send sounds yesterday (thursday) Thats the 1st time its happened. And my sound (ones i record) should be uploaded only once right ??? If i use a sound after a few weeks then it is reuploaded :S Any problem ???
yea if i rememeber correctly, rarely used sounds are deleted from the server every now then just meaning you have to reupload to the server when used.

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by Killers2 on 08-12-2005 at 09:41 PM

I love the cusom sound emotions but i wish ther was a feature saying download all current sound and a update that autoaticaly got new sounds everytime you sign on(H)

RE: Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats by mwe99 on 08-12-2005 at 09:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Killers2
love the cusom sound emotions but i wish ther

lol do you realise how long that would take? im talking days.. if not weeks