Shoutbox

Sponsor program - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Sponsor program (/showthread.php?tid=46306)

Sponsor program by Lou on 06-14-2005 at 11:49 PM

EDIT: yes I asked for opinion on the sponsor program, then I understood something and asked for opinions on what we could do to help, and what patchou could do  to help himself even more.  Please this is NOT about changing it...its for ideas to help patchou even more!!

EDIT: Poll now changed, please vote again.

RE: Sponsor program by ZrednaZ on 06-15-2005 at 12:34 AM

Hmm, as long as the sponsor is an optional install, I don't have a problem with it at all. Download.com can simply tell their users to click Disagree if they want to fight adware. I must say that sponsor acceptance screen has greatly improved over the years - heck, I even feel safe letting my mom update Plus! on her own these days because the accept/decline options have become so clear!

Taking these improvements into consideration, I think a large percentage of the Plus! users with the sponsor installed now have actually purposely chosen this option in order to support the software.

You mention Google ads... where whould you put those?? Noone would install Plus! if it meant having your conversation/contact windows filled with Google ads...

No, I've gradually changed my view on the sponsor over the past few years and I can't admit to holding anything againt it anymore.... People who still install the sponsor by accident need to get glasses.

RE: Sponsor program by Lou on 06-15-2005 at 12:57 AM

google ads= here on the forum not on msn messenger..do you realize how much trouble it would be to put it on msn messenger? lol

RE: Sponsor program by albert on 06-15-2005 at 01:00 AM

I don't think it needs to change.. forget google ads.. i dont think this will make enough money.. i think everything is nice the way it is.. the plus! setup is clear enough as said.. if u just look a ur screen while installing ull see the install/do not install option..

RE: Sponsor program by Millenium_edition on 06-15-2005 at 09:14 AM

to be honest, I'm sure ecko_complex is just looking for a way to say MDX is better than plus! (which it is totally not if you compare the feature list :-/ )

especially since MD's bad reputation about not working...

RE: Sponsor program by -dt- on 06-15-2005 at 09:59 AM

nope i think everything is good with the sponser let it stay :D

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
to be honest, I'm sure ecko_complex is just looking for a way to say MDX is better than plus! (which it is totally not if you compare the feature list :-/ )

especially since MD's bad reputation about not working...
and totatly raping your msn....
RE: Sponsor program by King For A Day on 06-15-2005 at 03:10 PM

is he paid by the instalation of the sponser or just in a lump sum to have it there?

RE: Sponsor program by Ezra on 06-15-2005 at 03:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
i don't think it matters because no one installs the sponsor anyway (except by mistake).

A lot of people have the sponsor installed almost 50 % I believe, and he gets paid per click on the ads I thought.
RE: Sponsor program by absorbation on 06-15-2005 at 04:24 PM

It's makes a lot and i mean alot of money and google ad's are on the website. It's someone's personaly fault if they jump to a conclusion that messenger plus! is spyware :cry:

RE: Sponsor program by dreaded on 06-15-2005 at 05:24 PM

When I seen what  MessengerDiscovery X did I came over cuase I knew someone was gonna bring it up lol. I think its something Patchou needs to consider. No one can complain and say they forgot about the sponsor and installed the sponsor. In other forums I have seen people accuse msg plus of installing the sponsor secretly lol maybe that will change their view and actually use it but I am sure if Patchou did change it to like MessengerDiscovery X that still wouldnt be good enough for some people the same people that trash msg plus so much. I think it would might get some people to change their mind about it and others like I said still wouldnt care cuase it still will show ads for 20 seconds during the install and still say its adware. Which way would bring in more money though 20 seconds of showing ads during install or installing the sponsor? And how if anyone did want to help support msg plus more do it without installing the sponsor? Something I have always wondered has Patchou ever considered taking donations and not doing either as long as the donations were good enough? Or just do it like MessengerDiscovery X and anyone that wants to support msg plus donate some money.

RE: Sponsor program by toddiot on 06-15-2005 at 06:30 PM

im personaly ok with the sponser program. it's totally opional and the only people who are complaining about it are the people who didn't read everything they should of while they were installing Plus!

RE: Sponsor program by Veggie on 06-15-2005 at 06:57 PM

I would rather have the optional sponsor than having to wait like 30 seconds while the messenger discovery x displays its 3 pages of adds...

RE: Sponsor program by Salem on 06-15-2005 at 08:43 PM

I personally don't mind the sponsor program. But am talking from experince when i say it is cutting th potential user base of MsgPlus!.

I have recommended MsgPlus to many people. However, they have slowly stopped using it after they found out "it contained spyware". Even the computers on which i installed it (WITHOUT sponsor program), they ended up deleting because of some sort of program saying it was spyware/adware.

I have a feeling that when Microsoft take MS AntiSpyware out of Beta that it will affect the MsgPlus! user base even further. My reasoning is that, currently it identifies MsgPlus! as a spyware even if the sponsor program wasn't selected. It seems that any traces of MsgPlus! it finds it says that spyware has been installed. Can't Microsoft be contacted to notify them so that they can modify AntiSpyware so that only identifies the actual C2 Media/Lop.com registry entires as spyware/adware and not the MsgPlus! registry entries. From what i have heard Microsoft plans to make AntiSpyware available free of charge, so i expect many people to start using it as it is free and has real time protection. This is why i think it going out of Beta would affect MessengerPlus!

One suggestion i could make is for Patchou to add flashing test to the Sponsor program agreement secion of the installer notifying the user to read about the OPTIONAL sponsor program. This way Patchou can keep the sponsor program and at the same time help users clearly know about the sponsor program.

RileyM

RE: Sponsor program by L. Coyote on 06-15-2005 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RileyM
My reasoning is that, currently it identifies MsgPlus! as a spyware
That's the thing. Doesn't it identify it as "adware bundler"? Which is different from spyware.

But people just don't know...

Maybe a little change in the text of the warning before the sponsor agreement screen: "The adware bundled in this program might be picked up by some anti-spyware programs as dangerous, but it is not. Feel free to ask questions about it here (simple link to forums)."
RE: RE: Sponsor program by Salem on 06-15-2005 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Killov
quote:
My reasoning is that, currently it identifies MsgPlus! as a spyware
That's the thing. Doesn't it identify it as "adware bundler"? Which is different from spyware.

But people just don't know...

Maybe a little change in the text of the warning before the sponsor agreement screen: "The adware bundled in this program might be picked up by some anti-spyware programs as dangerous, but it is not. Feel free to ask questions about it here (simple link to forums)."

Yes good suggestion, but i would still like MS AntiSpware not to detect MessengerPlus! as a spyware bundler, but rather detect the actual spyware that was installed. This way you won't get any warning if you didnt select the sponsor agreement

RileyM
RE: Sponsor program by Plik on 06-15-2005 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Yes good suggestion, but i would still like MS AntiSpware not to detect MessengerPlus! as a spyware bundler, but rather detect the actual spyware that was installed. This way you won't get any warning if you didnt select the sponsor agreement

RileyM

Thats down to microsoft and there is nothing patchou can do, afaik he has alredy been in contact with them about this. Also the sponsor is adware not spyware.
RE: Sponsor program by L. Coyote on 06-15-2005 at 08:57 PM

quote:

RileyM
Well, that's something MS will have to do. It's nothing that MsgPlus! does.
RE: Sponsor program by CookieRevised on 06-15-2005 at 08:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
I mean it is a program consider adware and because of this it was taken away from download.com
Incorrect... The Plus!-setup includes (an optional) adware program and therefore it was taken off. Not because Plus! itself was adware. There is a huge difference....

quote:
alot of people think that Plus is dangerous and therefore don't use it. I'm sure that if Patchou used another method to make money such as google ads here on the forum and such
He already has (much needed) ads on www.msgplus.net...

quote:
and changing the sponsor program to some kind of video or what not
ermmm... hu? anyways :P

quote:
plus! would go back on download.com, get better reviews and such, and more people would use it...
I guess those few thousand who would install it then, wouldn't make much difference anyways though...

quote:
therefore making even more money...
If he cuts down in sponsor/ads, he will loose money, not making more; Those few who are going to install it then (who thought Plus! itself was a virus and malicious otherwise) aren't going to make much difference...

quote:
if he added google ads and such I would click them.
Go to http://www.msgplus.net and feel free to click on every ad. Also go to the Plus!-shop and buy stuff...

quote:
please answer the poll that I created for this. This is not to get anyone mad.
we're not mad ;) but don't be mad either if the result is not what you thought it was ;)

quote:
I reapeat this is only opinion wise and to make sure that Patchou gets some ideas.
(...)
but please leave it open because it could get interesting with the ideas many people may have.
tbh, in all those years that people talked about this in this matter, nobody, not a single soul, has come up with a decent alternative...

btw, you would be estonished if you knew how much the forums, Plus!-server, sound-servers, etc... all cost in a month. A few ads here and there isn't enough to cover all the expenses though. And as you rightfully said, Patchou needs something to eat also... (once a day :p)

And many people forget about all this, they think "if I can earn some few dollars with google ads to keep my website online, everybody can". In the real world, to keep the Plus! related stuff going, there need to be lots more then just a few ads...

btw, I'm not going to vote because the options aren't exactly as I like. I would vote for the second one, but _if_ there is anything better, then be sure that Patchou will change it. And I don't like the sound of option 1, as it sounds like the sponsor is all crap, unneeded, etc and just sounds like all those dorky biased narrow minded people on those anti-adware/spyware forums....
RE: Sponsor program by Lou on 06-16-2005 at 03:29 PM

sorry for making myself unclear.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
we're not mad but don't be mad either if the result is not what you thought it was
I wont get mad. I want opinion and thats what I got. I dont say the sponsor is crap either. And I understand that google ads may not bring much money. I wouldnt know because my site doesnt cost me a thing so I dont have ads but if it doesnt make money then it doesnt make money...however I agree with the donation thing. People should be able to donate to Patchou from a paypal thing or what not. He could keep everything else I dont mind but itd be good if he did have something for donations because alot of people would donate.
RE: Sponsor program by user27089 on 06-16-2005 at 03:43 PM

I don't think that he should change sponsor program or get rid of it, it's been discussed many times before :S...

RE: Sponsor program by CookieRevised on 06-16-2005 at 11:12 PM

quote:
He could keep everything else I dont mind but itd be good if he did have something for donations because alot of people would donate.
nope... He had a paypal donation account once for a long long time; only a handful of people donated a small amount, even not enough to pay for some once-in-a-week-mcdonalds-menu so to speak...
RE: Sponsor program by Lou on 06-17-2005 at 12:13 AM

listen up....I dont want him to get rid of it I was jsut taking suggestions....so much people are taking this as another person who hates the sponsor. I dont ahte the sponsor. I was just giving my opinion and trying to get other ppls opinions....but some of you are trying to make me look bad...as for the paypal....msgplus is much more popular then it was back in the day.,....so it wouldnt make things worse to have one for msgplus even tho it doesnt bring much...you dont have to pay to get the donations. Please dont make me look bad.

RE: Sponsor program by jren207 on 06-17-2005 at 12:29 AM

I don't think Patchou will ever change the sponsor program, e.g. removing it or changing how it installs etc. Like many have said, it's been discussed before, and if you're careful, then installing plus! is ok.

I like the way tb has en embedded ad in the StuffPlug-NG installer and a count down until the next button is active, so you have to look at the ad till then. Although,I think that Patchou's sponsor would pay more... 8-)

RE: Sponsor program by Lou on 06-17-2005 at 12:32 AM

I DONT WANT IT TO BE CHANGED. How many times will I have to write this????????????

EDIT: sorry about being impolite...please see below for reason.

RE: Sponsor program by jren207 on 06-17-2005 at 12:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Poll

Poll: Should Patchou change the sponsor program?

[  ] he should change it to something better
[  ] No I disagree with this whole idea

RE: Sponsor program by L. Coyote on 06-17-2005 at 02:12 AM

quote:
I DOTN WANT IT TO BE CHANGED. How many times will I have to write this????????????
quote:
Originally posted by jren207
quote:
Originally posted by Poll

Poll: Should Patchou change the sponsor program?

[  ] he should change it to something better
[  ] No I disagree with this whole idea

Lighten up, lou. People are giving opinions, opinions that you asked for (as you said).
RE: Sponsor program by CookieRevised on 06-17-2005 at 02:45 AM

quote:
msgplus is much more popular then it was back in the day.,....so it wouldnt make things worse to have one for msgplus even tho it doesnt bring much...
That's true. But Patchou once said he feels that he already asks enough of his users (support, store, sponsor, etc...). However I agree with you on this (if it is supplementary, not a replacement).
RE: Sponsor program by Lou on 06-17-2005 at 02:20 PM

yes I asked for opinion on the sponsor program, then I understood something and asked for opinions on what we could do to help, and what patchou did to help. What your trying to make me look like is someone who wants to get rid of the poll. Sorry I lsot patience there I just to my cousins house, and not long before found out that one of them had a car accident....sorry again. But please this is NOT about changing it...its for ideas to help patchou even more

EDIT: POll now changed, please vote again.

EDT 2:

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
msgplus is much more popular then it was back in the day.,....so it wouldnt make things worse to have one for msgplus even tho it doesnt bring much...
That's true. But Patchou once said he feels that he already asks enough of his users (support, store, sponsor, etc...). However I agree with you on this (if it is supplementary, not a replacement).
He may ask enough of his users in his opinion but I'm sure that out out the millions of users out there some people don't want to shop...all they want is donate sometimes. sometimes its to help him out, sometimes they have spare change on their paypal. It's just the fact that at the store you must buy at a certain price, but with paypal dontate, you donate whatever you want to donate.
RE: Sponsor program by absorbation on 06-17-2005 at 03:24 PM

I understand and it's good to have views about things ;) We can link to anyone else who makes a thread about this to this thread and show them how we feel about the sponser :P

I have also learnt about many people who want to keep the sponser and this thread may show some people how complain about messenger plus! being spyware why we have it ;)

RE: Sponsor program by Lou on 06-17-2005 at 05:15 PM

so  anyone have any ideas what we could do to help Patchou even more?

RE: Sponsor program by dreaded on 06-19-2005 at 11:15 AM

I see the poll got changed. I would change the last one though about giving off more revenue. I would change it to say the same revenue or enough revenue to keep going like it has. Why more if say for example the 20 seconds of adds brought in the same amount of money as the sponsor or just a little bit less but still plenty of money to do everything and keep the things the way they are now.

RE: Sponsor program by Zephyr on 06-19-2005 at 11:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dreaded
I see the poll got changed. I would change the last one though about giving off more revenue. I would change it to say the same revenue or enough revenue to keep going like it has. Why more if say for example the 20 seconds of adds brought in the same amount of money as the sponsor or just a little bit less but still plenty of money to do everything and keep the things the way they are now.

Well, Patchou is probably fine with the revenue at the moment, otherwise he would have changed it. If he finds something else which appears to give the same revenue, why change it? It might end up not giving the same, even a lot less.

The only way IMO Patchou will change it is if he can be sure that something else can create more money.
RE: Sponsor program by dreaded on 06-19-2005 at 02:39 PM

I was saying for the poll in another words instead of it saying Patchou should keep the sponsor but if he finds something better that could give off more revenue change it
to
Patchou should keep the sponsor but if he finds something better that could give the same amount of revenue change it
As far as something appearing to give enough revenue and it actually doesnt is a chance you take one he took with c2media. Like I said I siad it for the poll change it for the poll. As far as changing this is what this poll is for to see what people think. I think if he could find another method and still bring in the same or about the same amount money he should. Might get back on download.com and might get more people to try it and give it another chance and change minds and get some of the people that trash msg plus so bad to stop. For the record I love msg plus and will always use it as long as I have option to install the sponsor and it doesnt install ad or spyware without my permission.

RE: Sponsor program by Lou on 06-19-2005 at 06:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dreaded
Why would I change it? its fine how it is....Im sure Patchou wouldnt take it off and change it to something else if it brings of enough revenue but a bit less...wutz the use? hes trying to get money out of this so you know...
RE: Sponsor program by matty on 06-19-2005 at 08:05 PM

This whole idea should just be dropped and the thread be removed. Patchou is not going to find anything better to use period. C2Media paied for the server in which we use for these forums. From what I know they paied for the sound servers (initially... I think). They listened to Patchou's requests to remove adult oriented material and so on. Please lets just drop this subject and accept that the sponsor wont change unless Patchou won a lot of money from the lotery and never had to work again.

RE: Sponsor program by Patchou on 06-19-2005 at 09:36 PM

Here is my input on this matter: C2Media has always been a very good partner and there's currently no reason for me to re-evaluate the situation. It's not a question of money (I earn my lifewith Messenger Plus! now but this has never been the primary goal of the software), it's more a question of relationship.

There will always be people who complain about anythign I may do in the software, the simple fact that most current complains are based on distorded facts (or complete lies)proves it. Don't worry, the sponsor will always be an option :).

PS: no, they don't pay for the sound servers :).

RE: Sponsor program by Lou on 07-01-2005 at 01:53 PM

I'm happy that Patchou put his input in this. It cleared up a few things. But does anyone know if c2media has a website for their sponsor programs?