Shoutbox

fast way to make a list of files on a dvd/cd - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: fast way to make a list of files on a dvd/cd (/showthread.php?tid=46340)

fast way to make a list of files on a dvd/cd by TheMusicPirate on 06-15-2005 at 01:34 PM

i have about 50 cd/dvd backups, and it takes me a while to find s certain file or song. on them.

is there a fast and easy way to make a list of all the files on all the backups?
without me having to type it all in?

thanks.

RE: fast way to make a list of files on a dvd/cd by RaceProUK on 06-15-2005 at 07:37 PM

Not without a little utility program AFAIK.
Then again, Windows has a Search facility...

RE: fast way to make a list of files on a dvd/cd by WDZ on 06-15-2005 at 07:38 PM

There are programs that can generate lists of all the files and directories in a drive/directory of your choosing.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/printfolders.html
(The home page seems to be down ATM :-/)

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

http://home.pacbell.net/nitzsche/dirhtml/dirhtml.html

RE: fast way to make a list of files on a dvd/cd by ddunk on 06-15-2005 at 07:38 PM

Or if you were too lazy to download something, Start > Run > Cmd > Dir works just fine :p

RE: fast way to make a list of files on a dvd/cd by WDZ on 06-15-2005 at 07:45 PM

dir is good, but not quite as user-friendly or customizable... :p

:o I just checked the help and found out that you can make it list subdirectories with the /S switch... :banana:
RE: fast way to make a list of files on a dvd/cd by Jhrono on 06-15-2005 at 08:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk

Or if you were too lazy to download something, Start > Run > Cmd > Dir works just fine
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

dir is good, but not quite as user-friendly or customizable...
Dir/p works..:P...Oh long time since i havent entered the command prompt(or dos:P)...
RE: fast way to make a list of files on a dvd/cd by YottabyteWizard on 06-15-2005 at 08:25 PM

Better yet... this command:

dir c:\music /s > c:\files.txt

where 'dir' is the command, 'c:\music' the drive\directory, '/s' option to show also the subdirectories, '>' option to send the results to a file, 'c:\files.txt' the file to be created for the results.

RE: fast way to make a list of files on a dvd/cd by user13774 on 06-15-2005 at 09:10 PM

That's nice Yottabyte! Good old DOS :P

RE: fast way to make a list of files on a dvd/cd by CookieRevised on 06-15-2005 at 09:15 PM

dir c:\music /S/B >> c:\files.txt

/B produces an output like:
  c:\autoexect.bat
  c:\config.sys
  c:\windows\fonts\onyx.ttf
  c:\windows\fonts\papyruss.ttf
  c:\windows\system\driver.dll
  c:\windows\system\funnybunny.dll
  c:\windows\temp\blahblah.tmp
  c:\windows\temp\helloworld.txt

in other words, without all the dir info crap...

>> instead of simply ">", will add the listings to the file. ">" will overwrite the file...

--------

But there are indeed very user friendly database-like programs which do exactly the same (although I never found one I personaly liked; every program I've found, tried, had one or two things I didn't like. So in the end I used the good old DOS commands too. And they work excellent for this stuff)

RE: RE: fast way to make a list of files on a dvd/cd by TheMusicPirate on 06-15-2005 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
dir c:\music /S/B >> c:\files.txt

/B produces an output like:
  c:\autoexect.bat
  c:\config.sys
  c:\windows\fonts\onyx.ttf
  c:\windows\fonts\papyruss.ttf
  c:\windows\system\driver.dll
  c:\windows\system\funnybunny.dll
  c:\windows\temp\blahblah.tmp
  c:\windows\temp\helloworld.txt

in other words, without all the dir info crap...

>> instead of simply ">", will add the listings to the file. ">" will overwrite the file...

--------

But there are indeed very user friendly database-like programs which do exactly the same (although I never found one I personaly liked; every program I've found, tried, had one or two things I didn't like. So in the end I used the good old DOS commands too. And they work excellent for this stuff)

is there a way that i can have it show the length of songs? ( like the time of each song in the folder?)

same for movies
RE: fast way to make a list of files on a dvd/cd by CookieRevised on 06-15-2005 at 11:17 PM

not in pure DOS. What you ask is reading and interpreting file formats, DOS doesn't do that. However there are some DOS programs which can extract the time and other stuff from media files and show it, and thus can be rerouted to output in a text file...

But maybe, if you wanna do that, you're better of by searching for a Windows based CD indexing program. There are thousands and thousands of them (such programs exist even before CD's were invented; to index floppy discs etc; principle is exactly the same)