Shoutbox

laptop problem.... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: laptop problem.... (/showthread.php?tid=46352)

laptop problem.... by YottabyteWizard on 06-15-2005 at 05:00 PM

OK, my dad has a laptop but it automatically restarts itself i don't know why, i assume its the processor (because the CPU fan is on the bottom ant it heats up very fast), i have reinstalled it many times but the problem isn't fixed, here's the worst: whenever it wants it will boot to WIndows, almost all the time freezes in the booting screen, we have to restart it and hope it works... any thoughts what can be the problem? IM TIRED OF "FIXING" IT.

RE: laptop problem.... by Mike on 06-15-2005 at 05:04 PM

Is there any BSOD* appearing before restarting?
Any message?

Also, on how many mins after windows running does it restart?

BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death

RE: laptop problem.... by YottabyteWizard on 06-15-2005 at 05:07 PM

there's no message, the screen just turn black and appears the BIOS.... and about the time it's random, sometimes just by pressing a key on the keyboard restarts, or when oppening Word, in less words... i can't know when.

RE: laptop problem.... by The Napster on 06-15-2005 at 05:13 PM

This used to also hapen to my on my laptop, I think it was because of a faulty piece of ram, but i'm not sure. Try Memtest dunno if it will help.

It could of course also be that your fans are cloged up, tr using a weak vacum cleaner to take the dirt n stuff out. Although I would be careful with that. It hapened to me too on that laptop, it worked, but the started again. While playing games it would just switch off...

That laptop was serious crap. Bad advice from my dads "friend" :@

RE: laptop problem.... by Reaper on 06-15-2005 at 05:14 PM

hmm from wot i know, the reason for restting is either the laptop is shutting down because its becoming too hot or there is something wrong with the processor as u assume

RE: laptop problem.... by YottabyteWizard on 06-15-2005 at 05:22 PM

Yeah, when this tarted to happen i bought a can of air ( dont know how is in english :$) clened it completly (yeah, there was a LOT of dust) and still the problem. This laptop is also crap :@

RE: laptop problem.... by Reaper on 06-15-2005 at 05:27 PM

could you post the specs for the laptop if u no them :)

RE: RE: laptop problem.... by YottabyteWizard on 06-15-2005 at 05:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper66613
could you post the specs for the laptop if u no them :)

Sure, it's an Enpower laptop, (can't remember the model), P4 2.4GHz, 256+64MB RAM, 20GB hdd, 24x/12x/32x CDRW, WXP Pro SP1
RE: laptop problem.... by Nathan on 06-15-2005 at 05:43 PM

Have you added any new ram recently? Because sometimes its to do with your RAM code/serial number. This is because its not compaitaible with your other RAM. Or The othe thing is that it could not support over so much RAM?

Hope this helps ;)

RE: laptop problem.... by YottabyteWizard on 06-15-2005 at 05:50 PM

no, i didn't change any  hardware. This started to happen with the time and heat. With the time it's getting worse, in the beggining it was very very rare that it restarted itself, now sometimes with just pressing a key. The files of the hdd are being damaged, with that much restarting there's a moment when just after the boot sequence appears: "Error loading operating system", and then I do this: Start Windows Setup, and just after the loading procedure I press 'r' so it takes my to a... kinda command prompt. Use the command FIXBOOT and the laptop works again (if there weren't any other files damaged). So it's not a new hardware problem.

RE: laptop problem.... by Reaper on 06-15-2005 at 05:52 PM

when u start up the laptop can u get into the BIOS settings? if u can, then check the event viewer. look for any errors or problems.

after a lot of googling it may be something to do with the RAM but im not sure

[Edit] Jus read previous post. guess the hardware is ruled out. Are you sure there are not any error messages?

RE: laptop problem.... by YottabyteWizard on 06-15-2005 at 05:57 PM

I can get into the bios, but there's no event viewer....

About the RAM, i'll try removing one of the sticks and check if that fixes the problem. THX.

EDIT: I just read the post before too :P, im sure there isnt any error message.

RE: laptop problem.... by Reaper on 06-15-2005 at 05:59 PM

post back with the results of u removing the RAM

RE: laptop problem.... by YottabyteWizard on 06-15-2005 at 06:01 PM

I don't have the laptop right now, but when i have it i'll try and post the results. Thx in advance.

RE: laptop problem.... by Reaper on 06-15-2005 at 06:19 PM

ok.
your welcome :D

RE: laptop problem.... by YottabyteWizard on 06-18-2005 at 05:58 AM

Didn't work, i tried every single theory that i could experiment... nothing worked.... i guess i should save for another one... a good one. :'(. Does somebody know if I can just change the processor? Maybe buying another one, because the guarantee already expired. BTW, i was wrong :$, the laptop has 2 memory sticks (256+128) i removed one and tested it, nothing good, removed the other one and still the same.

RE: laptop problem.... by Reaper on 06-18-2005 at 01:39 PM

ahh that sucks! u can try changing the processor. if u live in the UK, you can search:
www.ebay.co.uk
www.ebuyer.co.uk
www.planetmicro.co.uk

if u dont live in uk then i wudnt no any plces to buy online :P

RE: laptop problem.... by jren207 on 06-19-2005 at 01:58 AM

Well, a while ago, i remember posting at these forums something similar, I installed something abit ago that untill a certain point, I had no trouble with, then my computer started to lag, and then it would suddenly restart. At a final point I thought that was it and somehow, manage to backup on cds but I had to do one at a time because my computer wouldn't respond to anything.

Then I remembered, I had installed a new IDE Chipset driver. That was it, and now after that, I leave the default ones that are installed from the recovery/os disc.

Now, have you tried installing an OS again?, because this will wipe any dodgy drivers... if it's the problem like mine.

RE: laptop problem.... by YottabyteWizard on 06-20-2005 at 06:53 AM

I lost the count of the times that i've reinstalled it.

RE: laptop problem.... by jren207 on 06-20-2005 at 02:55 PM

Ahh ok, dodgy hardisk / connecting cable?