Shoutbox

I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Translation (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+----- Thread: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! (/showthread.php?tid=46384)

I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by eurosong on 06-16-2005 at 01:07 AM

Look at the list of languages available...

People from around the world can choose their native language, be it Arabic, Danish, Japanese, TWO different kinds of Spanish, and many others.

There is, however, one group of people who never seem to be able to have any system in their native language.

We are the ENGLISH people!

Yes, that's right. English English. From England.

Forever we're stuck with having to use computer systems in the American language, simply because our languages are very similar. Do we understand it? Yes. Is it fair that Finnish people, for example, have something written 100% in their own language but we don't? NO.

I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people to translate the interface to British English, and I propose that you offer it as an option in the list. There aren't many changes... but the changes which can be made are important ones. Please do not alienate an entire nation just because we happen to understand the Americans' version of our language.

Thanks!

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by ddunk on 06-16-2005 at 01:40 AM

Mind giving an example of something that needs to be changed? Is there really that much of a difference except for a few little words/slang?

English differences by eurosong on 06-16-2005 at 02:22 AM

color = colour
parenthesis = brackets (common usage)
favorite = favourite
(All in the preferences screens)

Tiny differences? Yes.
So small that they're not worth bothering about? No.

OK, so there are only a few in MSG Plus. But all over the internet, thousands of pieces of software are written multilingually, but ignoring British English. The biggest culprit is Windows itself! There are versions of Windows in so many languages around the world, but we English (with a population if 60 million) are ignored, while Danes for example (with a population of approx. 5 million) have a version written 100% in their native language.

Why are 60 million British people ignored? Because we happen to be able to understand American. I don't think that's fair.

Sorry if I sound like I'm picking on MSG Plus. In fact I think it's a fabulous piece of software, and my MSN feels naked without it :) Congratulations to the authors. But I feel very strongly about this language issue, and I intend to pursue it wherever I can. MSG Plus just happens to be one piece of software where I have the opportunity to bring the matter to the attention to the writers.

Thanks for listening :)

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by albert on 06-16-2005 at 02:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by eurosong
color = colour
parenthesis = brackets (common usage)
favorite = favourite
(All in the preferences screens)

Tiny differences? Yes.
So small that they're not worth bothering about? No.

OK, so there are only a few in MSG Plus. But all over the internet, thousands of pieces of software are written multilingually, but ignoring British English. The biggest culprit is Windows itself! There are versions of Windows in so many languages around the world, but we English (with a population if 60 million) are ignored, while Danes for example (with a population of approx. 5 million) have a version written 100% in their native language.

Why are 60 million British people ignored? Because we happen to be able to understand American. I don't think that's fair.

Sorry if I sound like I'm picking on MSG Plus. In fact I think it's a fabulous piece of software, and my MSN feels naked without it :) Congratulations to the authors. But I feel very strongly about this language issue, and I intend to pursue it wherever I can. MSG Plus just happens to be one piece of software where I have the opportunity to bring the matter to the attention to the writers.

Thanks for listening :)

Personally i understand what you mean.. and ye it must suck.. I dunno though if Patchou would like to do a british version.. that's all up to him I think..

Anyways I hope this works out for you man!
best of luck

-lp15
RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsati by ddunk on 06-16-2005 at 02:55 AM

You could also just make your own unofficial translation and distribute it to whoever wants it.

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by Fraisie on 06-16-2005 at 02:56 AM

If we start doing this, we would have two french versions (France and Canadian french), two portuguese,... I can understand your point, but I dont think it is needed :)

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by emit on 06-16-2005 at 03:01 AM

eurosong: parenthesis is perfectly legitimate English.

I personally think you have the wrong viewpoint on this subject. You're seeing English as the inferior version of American. See it as the fact that the Americans are using, if not slightly contorting, our language.

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by eurosong on 06-16-2005 at 04:18 AM

lp15: thanks for your support.

Ddunk: I am an IT person, but it's still beyond my capacity to disassemble a .exe, modify it, recompile it and put it back into an installation file. Besides, even if I could do that, the point is that British English should be officially supported by programs' creators: it shouldn't have to be an afterthought which is only implemented by hacking.

Frasie: If you "don't think it is needed", then you have missed my point. Which country are you from? Is your country perhaps one of those for which there is full native language support? How would you feel if, with 99% of software, you had to put up with seeing different spellings and alternate words, simply because the writers could not be bothered to respect that yours is a language in its own right?

Time: Yes you're right; "parenthesis" is perfectly legitimate English. That is to say, it's in the dictionary and can be used in this sense perfectly correctly. However, native speakers of British English colloquially use the word "brackets". As for your comment on my having the wrong viewpoint, well I must tell you that you have entirely misunderstood my point! You somehow inferred that I'm seeing English as inferior! Nothing could be further from the truth. As a proud Englishman, I see English English as the original. The Americans started out by using our language, but now they have changed it so much that it's no longer our language: they have their own version of it. In their country then that is to be respected - their spellings are perfectly correct. But in the UK, we do not wish to be FORCED to use this new version of our language.

Please. Let us have software in our own language.

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by matty on 06-16-2005 at 04:24 AM

quote:
Frasie: If you "don't think it is needed", then you have missed my point. Which country are you from? Is your country perhaps one of those for which there is full native language support? How would you feel if, with 99% of software, you had to put up with seeing different spellings and alternate words, simply because the writers could not be bothered to respect that yours is a language in its own right?

Fraisie is from Quebec Canada... she is also Patchou's girlfriend. We in Canada do have to put up with most things being spelt the american way its just the way life is. Please stop complaining and make your own version and post it here. It probably wont be added to the installer but people will be able to download and install it if they wish.
RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsati by ddunk on 06-16-2005 at 04:28 AM

quote:
Ddunk: I am an IT person, but it's still beyond my capacity to disassemble a .exe, modify it, recompile it and put it back into an installation file. Besides, even if I could do that, the point is that British English should be officially supported by programs' creators: it shouldn't have to be an afterthought which is only implemented by hacking.

Just navigate to C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\Resources and play with the DefaultLg.dat.

And as Fraisie said earier, if different dialects were to be included for English, it'd have to happen with most other languages too, most notably, Portugese (as there has been many topics on the dialects of that).
RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by emit on 06-16-2005 at 05:35 AM

quote:
Time: Yes you're right; "parenthesis" is perfectly legitimate English. That is to say, it's in the dictionary and can be used in this sense perfectly correctly. However, native speakers of British English colloquially use the word "brackets". As for your comment on my having the wrong viewpoint, well I must tell you that you have entirely misunderstood my point! You somehow inferred that I'm seeing English as inferior! Nothing could be further from the truth. As a proud Englishman, I see English English as the original. The Americans started out by using our language, but now they have changed it so much that it's no longer our language: they have their own version of it. In their country then that is to be respected - their spellings are perfectly correct. But in the UK, we do not wish to be FORCED to use this new version of our language.

Software shouldn't use colloquialisms. Otherwise you'd need a version for every dialect, in every country; do you want to make MsgPlus in Brummy or Liverpudlian too?
American English isn't being forced upon us at all, Microsoft Word and the Windows envirnoment have a UK English option. It is always a choice. Remember not all of the UK speak English as an official language anyway, since devolution Wales has proclaimed Welsh as its official native language. I am sure the Scottish Parliament would love to declare Gaelic as their official language again and even Cornwall, a mere county, has its own language too. I, too, am English and love my language but there is only so far you can thrust that passion upon corporations and the wide world.

M.
RE: RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranl by vlio on 06-16-2005 at 12:33 PM

quote:
But in the UK, we do not wish to be FORCED to use this new version of our language.

I think you'd better enjoy the fact that most untranslated things in the world are in your language (or almost your language, if you prefer...), thanks to that new version.
RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by mwe99 on 06-16-2005 at 03:55 PM

Actually most people are aware of this language as color etc is used in HTML coding. Personally i dont think this is necessary, as it is perfectly understandable to people aware of the English/American/Whatever language

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by sn1p3r on 06-16-2005 at 04:18 PM

It is a valid point and i can see where you're coming from eurosong but i don't think it is completely necessary.
The American English already used in Messenger Plus is still understandable, a few words here and there aren't really going to make a differance.

If you do feel strongly about it though and don't know how to go about making your own translation you could try enquiring if anyone could help you out. Anyway good luck (Y)

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by Fraisie on 06-16-2005 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty

Just navigate to C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\Resources and play with the DefaultLg.dat.

And as Fraisie said earier, if different dialects were to be included for English, it'd have to happen with most other languages too, most notably, Portugese (as there has been many topics on the dialects of that).

And I wanna add that I'm from the french part of Canada. The french translation is from France, and we live with it quite well, even though our languages are different ;)
RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by eurosong on 06-16-2005 at 05:25 PM

sn1p3r: "A few words here and there" they may be, but still... it's extremely infuriating to be forced to read a bastardised version of my language EVERY day. I can't escape it. 60 million of us can't escape it. The people of Italy, for example, don't have to put up with reading a Mickey Mouse version of their language. Why should we? Just because our language is 99% the same as that of another country whose media want to dominate the world? BAH.

mwe99: Whether or not people can understand it isn't the point. Yes we can understand American. But with that attitude, in a hundred years or so British English will die out, if people just can't be bothered to stand up for it. I already have to suffer hearing my friends say "movie" (American) instead of "film" (British), just because of the influence of the American media :(

Frasie: What differences are there between the French language of Quebec and the French of France? I did not know that there were differences... please would you tell me, because I am fascinated to know!

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsati by Lou on 06-16-2005 at 06:13 PM

[offtopic]

quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
And I wanna add that I'm from the french part of Canada.

Wow me too! What town are you in> [/offtopic]

I am french natively and I also go to english school. The english we use is like yours [color to us is colour] but we live with it. I suggest that if you abosolutely want to make an msg plus in your native language with a FEW changes then go ahead...ask for help..but please dont complain.

EDIT: and there are alot of differences with the french quebec and the french from france. Even our swear words are different:P We serve and even bigger percentage of difference with french quebec and french france then with Britsh english and american english. our language is almost 70% different but we are not complaining because we can live with it

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by absorbation on 06-16-2005 at 06:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
If we start doing this, we would have two french versions (France and Canadian french), two portuguese,... I can understand your point, but I dont think it is needed :)

This would be the most worked on one becuase in quabec (where patchou and frasie live) their french is a bit different e.g. numbers. This is the same for other languages :P
RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by Anubis on 06-16-2005 at 07:23 PM

quote:
What differences are there between the French language of Quebec and the French of France? I did not know that there were differences... please would you tell me, because I am fascinated to know!
afaik, there differences are similar in quanity and style to that of the American and British versions of English.
Tbh, I don't care about this idea that much, I'm from Britain, and yeah it's easier to read something in the British dialect than the USA, however I don't see a need for it right now. In the long term it's a decent idea though
RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by Lou on 06-17-2005 at 12:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
This would be the most worked on one becuase in quabec
no offense but its quebec......maybe and probably just a typo.....

[end of my offtopic]
RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsati by ShunterAlhena on 07-16-2005 at 08:43 AM

eurosong, I just want to say that I perfectly understand you. As a mere translator I can't do anything to help you, but as a proud Hungarian, I have to experience similar subtle humiliations from other, presumably larger and more powerful nations. Good luck with your translation.

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by user44571 on 07-16-2005 at 08:48 AM

it really doesnt seem necessary for a few little changes in spelling and such

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by multimillion2k on 07-16-2005 at 10:47 AM

While I agree totally with the fact that American english is inferior to British english, it bugs me - yet we must still accept - that it has become the standard in computing. Thanks, Bill..

I may as well point out that the word should not have been 'parenthesis', but 'parentheses' - unless you were referring to a single bracket.

And at the risk of one day being humiliated by the same thing I am about to point out, I would rather use an inferior American translation than a British tranlsation! :P

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by Sasuke on 07-16-2005 at 11:41 AM

lmfao!!! now heres a man despirate to be noticed! what the hell is the difrance between english and british english. Oi! lmfao!!

"I would like to offer my services"
if you can be the fourth finger i use to scratch my ass i think your service would be more usefull then

i meen come on!!! thats like some one translating Canadian French to France French... what the hell is the difrance? Or some one translating African American English to White man English... realy... people need to be more real

LOL!!!

I can see the next news headlines now
" Messenger Plus 3.60 just got better
We have just added 6 more useless translation patches
- British English
- African American English
- Italian English
- Canadian English
- Canadian French
- and Mexican Spanish
more future realeses will include mmclient in your msn tab... you never have to use msn messenger again!!"

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by ShunterAlhena on 07-16-2005 at 12:16 PM

Congrats Sasuke, that was a constructive, well-written and useful post.
(By the way 'despirate' is supposed to be desperate, 'usefull' is spelt with one L, 'difrance' is supposed to be difference, 'some one' is one word (like someone), 'realy' has two Ls, 'realeses' is supposed to be written like releases.
You might like American English better, but please don't talk about translations when you can't write a simple forum post.)
* ShunterAlhena thinks... how come a forum newbie with 13 posts already has a reputation of -5?

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by ShunterAlhena on 07-16-2005 at 12:20 PM

Right, I've read your other posts and ratings. It seems others share my opinion about you.
Forgot to mention that 'meen' is spelt like 'mean' and 'heres', 'thats' are supposed to be like 'here's' and 'that's'. Thanks for your contribution.
/me: rant mode off

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by Sasuke on 07-16-2005 at 12:36 PM

thank you Websters English Dictionary, I like how you continuosly show off you PHD in english. You'd make a great document doctor some day. I fail to grasp the idea of why you people care so much about reputation in a forum. and what the hell is this? "/me: rant mode off " what is that some sort of insult solute? you should be embarised you even added that in. Thats as bad as a person who talks to himself.

what makes you think i care what type of english i speek? how does arguing about the uselessness of a british translation relate to how well or bad i can write a simpleforum post. Its an opinion, thats what forums are for.

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by gif83 on 07-16-2005 at 12:48 PM

Well i think that these translations are all about comfort of use...
that's why we have translations... of course having specific translations makes it a better program.

I personally feel less comfortable reading american english

RE: RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranl by ShunterAlhena on 07-16-2005 at 12:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sasuke
thank you Websters English Dictionary, I like how you continuosly show off you PHD in english. You'd make a great document doctor some day. I fail to grasp the idea of why you people care so much about reputation in a forum. and what the hell is this? "/me: rant mode off " what is that some sort of insult solute? you should be embarised you even added that in. Thats as bad as a person who talks to himself.

what makes you think i care what type of english i speek? how does arguing about the uselessness of a british translation relate to how well or bad i can write a simpleforum post. Its an opinion, thats what forums are for.

Reputation can only be modified by respectable people, and thus shows a good indicator of your total forum contribution. It seems you should change your attitude.

As for the English you speak: I only thought that discussing the necessity of a British English translation requires that you know the difference between British and American English. If you can't write a short paragraph of text without making obvious mistakes, I can't believe that you can sensibly discuss a topic related to much subtler language matters.

Back to the subject: I recall something about Patchou saying that only major languages will be supported, locales won't. The very example he mentions is British English, so this case is pretty much doomed :(
I'm rereading my old mails to find what he exactly wrote, but it might have been told on the forum... Will reply when I find it. But distributing a custom translation on the forum might still be a working idea.
RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by Sasuke on 07-16-2005 at 12:53 PM

lol its english, you gota be kidding me! Language evolves, i guess most people like old school. But think of it this way, because of America, english is becoming an international language... Japan is actualy learning English for international trade resoning.

and no, i cant change my attitude, id rather be direct and hated. Arguing with people keeps me occupied while i wait for this crazy weather were having to be over. That bieng said, don't take it personaly if I insult you.

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by ShunterAlhena on 07-16-2005 at 12:59 PM

Yeah, and we Hungarians learn English, and Germans learn English in 'thier home land' as well. Just like some English are learning Hungarian and German in 'thier home land'. What does this have to do with the topic?

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsati by Schockwave on 07-16-2005 at 08:20 PM

I can see where europe is coming from, because when I first started to install software, it always said and still says U.S. English, and I always wondered why U.S. and not British for language, as there are differences, but decided I had to accept it.

On another note, you would have the different dialects in Switzerland and Germany, for that matter to add, as they are very different, with four languages in Switzerland if you count Romansch! :D :P  I could see it would never end, so I think we all have to put up with whatever is on offer.

Sasuke, your English is appalling!

ShunterAlhena, I went to Budapest many years ago, beautiful town! :);)

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by qgroessl on 07-16-2005 at 09:15 PM

Translating that would be pointless if you ask me... It would be like fixing alternate spellings of words in a book... I can't think of an example, besides the ones you used... maybe grey, and gray... It's the same thing, people know what you mean... and if they don't, they will soon.

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by ShunterAlhena on 07-17-2005 at 08:29 AM

Hey thanks, Schockwave! :D

I was unable to find the email I referred to in my former post. Still, I'm sure I read that "straight from the horse's mouth". :) So I think that translating it to British and distributing it via the forum is a good option, but as many others have pointed out, distributing it with MsgPlus would cause an uproar amongst many other dialect-speakers.

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsati by Schockwave on 07-17-2005 at 02:31 PM

You are welcome, ShunterAlhena! :D ;)

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsati by .Fusion on 07-17-2005 at 05:47 PM

Im English, and i use Plus! all the time. And tbh, it hasnt bothered me once, and i havnt even given it a single though.

You have to think though, is it really worth translating, just so you can read the exact same message, but with the odd letter swapped around. I cant see the point ...

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by shine on 07-17-2005 at 06:52 PM

If some one wants the software in his own language, he has the rights! Eurosong has the right to demand for it. Why should we turn a blind eye towards it or be paranoid? This is how Plus will grow to become a universal program. It is always possible to incorporate it in a later version. :wink:

RE: RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranl by .Fusion on 07-17-2005 at 08:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by shine
If some one wants the software in his own language, he has the rights! Eurosong has the right to demand for it. Why should we turn a blind eye towards it or be paranoid? This is how Plus will grow to become a universal program. It is always possible to incorporate it in a later version. :wink:

i think he deserves the right to change it into his own language, but i think if he wants to make those minor changes, he should do it himself, or get someone else to do it for him. Not force Patchou or a translator to do it for him

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsati by ShunterAlhena on 07-17-2005 at 09:05 PM

He actually offered to do it himself, and didn't even hint that Patchou or a translator should do it instead of him. Read at least the title of the topic before posting. ;)

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation! by Fraisie on 07-17-2005 at 09:16 PM

An "english" translation wont be included in Plus!. If you wish to do one for yourself, please do and use it.