Shoutbox

Power Outage - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Power Outage (/showthread.php?tid=46391)

Power Outage by TylerG on 06-16-2005 at 04:27 AM

Well I was on my computer today, and then all of a sudden my lights dimmed, my monitor shut off, and my computer restarted.  I was like huh?  and my mom was like, "what happened?"  and then like 1 minute later it happens again.  And then the whole power shuts off.  We go to our neighbors house and he tells us that it happened all around town.  Then my friend's mom drops off my little brother and tells us that it is happening all over texas cuz there our main power plant like overheated or something.  We go on with out electricity for a while and then (I am just listening to my iPod which luckily was fully charged:P)  And it is really hot outside and inside by now(9:00)  Plus, where I live it is soooooooo Humid.   So I go inside and  start listening to the radio and I heard a reporter say that they weren't letting anyone near the power plant and that there was 6 firetrucks there:S  The called this a brown out and on the news they said it was possible that it could last up to 3 days:S  Luckily it came back at about 11.  Very weird day....:P

RE: Power Outage by DaN00b on 06-16-2005 at 04:40 AM

wow i live in texas and it did do anything here.... weirdness..

RE: Power Outage by TylerG on 06-16-2005 at 04:43 AM

quote:
Orginally posted by DaN00b
wow i live in texas and it did do anything here.... weirdness..

Lucky...
RE: Power Outage by Vilkku on 06-16-2005 at 07:06 AM

Power went? Is that supposed to be special? Move to the countryside and experience theese amazing adventures so often that it sucks! ;)

RE: Power Outage by user13774 on 06-16-2005 at 09:22 AM

I had the same here in Holland a few weeks ago. In the morning the power went down for half a second or something and later in the afternoon the power went down for 45 minutes 8-)

RE: Power Outage by x2zen on 06-16-2005 at 09:46 AM

Try being out of power for over 50 hours, now that sucks :(

RE: Power Outage by Supersonicdarky on 06-16-2005 at 01:25 PM

once there was a power outage when there was a fire near by, but it had shut off the second i clicked "Empty Recycle Bin", i was confused for a minute. i thought that it was the pc not the power (it was day, so no lights), until i realised that radio stopped working :P

weird...

RE: Power Outage by DJeX on 06-16-2005 at 05:07 PM

Who lives in Ontario or New York, Detroit or some where close to New York.

Remember the black out that lasted for hours. Then the next day it kept dieing.

Heres a satilite pic showing the black out:
[Image: blackout-of-2003.jpg]

RE: Power Outage by Anubis on 06-16-2005 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
lol, some people still have power, :dodgy: people with generators.
RE: Power Outage by buzz on 06-16-2005 at 06:03 PM

grrmm does anyone remember the ice storm a few years ago where the power was out for like a week

RE: Power Outage by MeEtc on 06-16-2005 at 06:39 PM

i do. in quebec mostly. I lived through Hurricane Juan a few years back, I was without power for 3 days, but some of my family was without for 8 days, and no way to get out of the house...

RE: Power Outage by King For A Day on 06-16-2005 at 08:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
Who lives in Ontario or New York, Detroit or some where close to New York.

Remember the black out that lasted for hours. Then the next day it kept dieing.

[Image: blackout-of-2003.jpg]

isnt that photoshop?

im sure i heard that.

our powers is pretty good hast cut for years. we 're pretty remote as well
RE: Power Outage by pwnage97 on 06-16-2005 at 08:44 PM

a trasnformer blew last week when it was at least 40°C. u know those big round things on the polls outside. so the rest of my street can still breath...

RE: Power Outage by Dane on 06-19-2005 at 05:10 AM

Hrm...If there were firetrucks near the powerplant and stuff and no one was allowed near it, that makes it sound like a Level 3 or Level 4 meltdown (there are 5 levels in the U.S., as far as I know, 1 is the worst, 5 is the best).  They usually get them under control if they start happening though, technology is so good these days, the incident of three mile island made nuclear reactors so much safer, there hasnt been a Level 1 meltdown since Chernobyl, as far as I know.

Anyway, I may be wrong.  I'm glad you're ok though.

RE: Power Outage by rav0 on 06-19-2005 at 07:23 AM

Is it true that when there is a meltdown that all the space near it becomes uninhabitable?

Coal power here in Australia :D.
Pollution here in Australia :(.

RE: Power Outage by Anubis on 06-19-2005 at 07:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Is it true that when there is a meltdown that all the space near it becomes uninhabitable?
Yes, radiation can stay in the area for years, even decades after the effects can still have bad consequences on the Human body...After Chernobyl there was radiation for at least a 20-mile radius.