Shoutbox

VB 6, VB.NET, C# - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: VB 6, VB.NET, C# (/showthread.php?tid=46483)

VB 6, VB.NET, C# by DJeX on 06-17-2005 at 11:26 PM

Ahhh I can't seem to decide which is better! I know VB 6 is old so it's probably going to be either VB.NET or C#.

So which is better? VB.NET which is almost like VB 6 or C# which is I think (not sure) is like VB.NET with a little more to it.

Also does VB.NET need the VB run times to run the programs you make with it?

And what is C#?

RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by matty on 06-17-2005 at 11:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
VB.Net needs the .Net Framework which is about a 17mb download... imagine on a dialup connection having to download that just to use your plugin/app :mipdodgy:
RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by Chris4 on 06-17-2005 at 11:31 PM

But if you update your computer regurely (windows update), you should already have .NET Framework ;)

RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by DJeX on 06-18-2005 at 03:29 AM

ahh I C, so then what is C#? Does that need runtimes?

RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by Mnjul on 06-18-2005 at 05:21 AM

Yes it needs .net Framework too. If you are new to programming, I suggest VB.Net. I'd say that C#.Net is designed for those who are accustomed to C language styles and want to transfer to .net languages.

RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by lopardo on 06-18-2005 at 07:00 AM

Use Delphi or VC++, period. :grin:

RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by CookieRevised on 06-18-2005 at 10:23 AM

quote:
Ahhh I can't seem to decide which is better! I know VB 6 is old so it's probably going to be either VB.NET or C#.
old doesn't mean bad...

quote:
So which is better? VB.NET which is almost like VB 6
not at all. Both languages are very different (though they have some similar approach to programming). IMO VB.NET can't be considered as a Visual Basic language, it is too different (btw it's not only my opinion, many people thing that way)

quote:
or C# which is I think (not sure) is like VB.NET with a little more to it.
The similarity is that both use (and need!) the .NET framework. C# is compared to C++ what VB.NET is compared to VB.

quote:
Like people said before, no. But .NET programs need the .NET framework to run. This can be considered the "runtimes" for a .NET program. It is a massive and huge 17MB (and often go beyond 20MB on some systems), and thus that's even worse then the VB6 runtimes....

Microsoft claims .NET is the futur. Considered they call the shots, it probably will. But many people are strongly against this and millions still prefer VB6, (V)C++, Delphi, etc...

Don't let the propaganda fool you too, everything which can be done in a .NET language can be done in a conventional language. It is even so that not all things can be done in an easy way in a .NET language. Often it needs lots of overhead and too long code to do things in .NET and frankly (this is a personal opinion), the benefit of some .NET features/shortcuts/methods are no match against the overall conventional language style of programming...

IMHO, stick to a conventional language, let .NET be for what it is, and make your choice between VB, Delphi, or (V)C++...
RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by Choli on 06-18-2005 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
IMHO, stick to a conventional language, let .NET be for what it is, and make your choice between VB, Delphi, or (V)C++...
I agree on that...

I feel more confortable writting in VB6 than in VB.NET. Anyway, you have to try all and decide which is the one that best fits your needs
RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by Reaper on 06-18-2005 at 01:44 PM

you could wait, cos i think visual studio 7 is coming or so i heard

RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by YottabyteWizard on 06-18-2005 at 03:42 PM

I bought Microsoft VIsual Studio .NET 2003 PRO :'( i thought it was better, too much stuff for me. i stick to C++ and V6 (Y)
*Long live the king*

RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by DJeX on 06-18-2005 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper66613

:O great!
RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by Choli on 06-18-2005 at 04:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper66613
visual studio 7?? you mean 8, maybe? 7 was released a lot of time ago.
RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by DJeX on 06-18-2005 at 04:29 PM

Is (V)C++, Visual C++? If it is what is (V)C++?

RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by lopardo on 06-18-2005 at 04:38 PM

quote:
quote:
old doesn't mean bad...
Obsolete does... How can you make programs (and I'm talking about "real life programs", yesterday I saw an ad on the newspaper asking for VB programmers...) in a language that is dead? But anyone could see this happening, VB wasn't a real programming language and it sucked.

See Delphi, it's easy to use and powerful... With Delphi 2005 you can keep programming in Win32 and port your existing Win32 programs to .NET easily (I don't like .NET so I'll keep using Win32). Only problem is the IDE which still needs work (altough Update 3 seems to work better).
RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by Choli on 06-18-2005 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Is (V)C++, Visual C++? If it is what is (V)C++?
With "(V)C++", Cookie means "C++ or VC++" (and of course, VC++ is Visual C++, Microsoft's C++)

RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by CookieRevised on 06-18-2005 at 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
quote:
quote:
old doesn't mean bad...
Obsolete does... How can you make programs (and I'm talking about "real life programs", yesterday I saw an ad on the newspaper asking for VB programmers...) in a language that is dead? But anyone could see this happening, VB wasn't a real programming language and it sucked.
VB is far from dead! As a matter of fact is is very much alive...

quote:
See Delphi, it's easy to use and powerful... With Delphi 2005 you can keep programming in Win32 and port your existing Win32 programs to .NET easily
That's also true with VB and VC...

(and for all the languages: MS says porting from win32 to .NET is easy, this is true for small and not complicated programs. For bigger and more complicated programs, porting to .NET breaks many things and is not so easy at all.)
RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by lopardo on 06-18-2005 at 10:18 PM

quote:
VB is far from dead! As a matter of fact is is very much alive...
Yeah, people still use it, but I meant MS won't update anymore, so it's dead.

quote:
That's also true with VB and VC...

(and for all the languages: MS says porting from win32 to .NET is easy, this is true for small and not complicated programs. For bigger and more complicated programs, porting to .NET breaks many things and is so easy at all.)
Yes, but with Delphi 2005, I can open a Win32 project as a .NET one, hit CTRL+F9 (compile), and done, now it's .NET. Yes, some Win32 API calls should be replaced, but if you used standard VCL controls, then you don't have to change anything. :)
RE: VB 6, VB.NET, C# by CookieRevised on 06-18-2005 at 11:18 PM

quote:
Yes, but with Delphi 2005, I can open a Win32 project as a .NET one, hit CTRL+F9 (compile), and done, now it's .NET. Yes, some Win32 API calls should be replaced, but if you used standard VCL controls, then you don't have to change anything. :)
yes, but that is not a Delphi feature, that is the same in all languages.