Shoutbox

Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? (/showthread.php?tid=46527)

Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by toddiot on 06-18-2005 at 08:08 PM

This just doesn't make sense to me. If you move a thread, shouldn't people be able to post in it in the correct catigory..?

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by M73A on 06-18-2005 at 08:12 PM

they can :S unless its getting spammed so a mod or someone locks it..

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by Shezi on 06-18-2005 at 08:12 PM

when the appropriate thread is not suitable in the catogory in wich u posted then admin just move it to the correct (suitable) catogory (place) and the the thread locked where u originally posted but u can access the thread from its new catogory...

sometime threads get locked or deleted for some other reasons.. because they are against the rules.. or there is no further need of them.. or they are only annoucement or notices made by admins or mods...

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by Tochjo on 06-18-2005 at 08:13 PM

I am assuming this question was asked because when a thread gets moved, the forum it was in shows a [Image: lockfolder.gif] next to it. However, you can still click the link to the thread and most likely post in the thread nonetheless. The icon can in this case be misleading, I agree.

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by toddiot on 06-18-2005 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shezi
when the appropriate thread is not suitable in the catogory in wich u posted then admin just move it to the correct / suitable catogory and the the thread locked where u originally posted but u can access the thread from its new place / catogory...

oh ok. I got it. thanx

...and thank you Tochjo :D
RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by Anubis on 06-18-2005 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
The icon can in this case be misleading, I agree.
Yeah, I'd prefer to see an icon with an arrow on or something, it would be much easier to see that it's been moved to somewhere else. Not that I'm too dumb to notice the big bold "moved" just it's easier to instantly see a moved icon that have to read text, it's quicker and that was the purpose of icons. To be able to see something and recognise it, without reading.
RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by toddiot on 06-18-2005 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
The icon can in this case be misleading, I agree.
Yeah, I'd prefer to see an icon with an arrow on or something, it would be much easier to see that it's been moved to somewhere else.

Yes thats true. There should be a different icon for a thread that has been moved. the locked one just confuses me as you probably already figured out.
RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by matty on 06-18-2005 at 08:21 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=482354]

How about this icon or something of its sort for a moved thread?

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by toddiot on 06-18-2005 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty

How about this icon or something of its sort for a moved thread?

Yeah I like it! The forum should consider it.
RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by Lou on 06-18-2005 at 09:04 PM

maybe we should ask Patchou or whoever could do it for us...I would sure like it.

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by Shezi on 06-18-2005 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
maybe we should ask Patchou or whoever could do it for us...I would sure like it.
it could be deal by WDZ . IMO
RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by Ezra on 06-19-2005 at 12:15 AM

I also made a little icon :)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=482427]

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by KeyStorm on 06-19-2005 at 01:04 AM

They're both nice, but I prefer Matty's.

Howevern this isn't much of a deal, because thre's clearly stated that it's moved and people usually get the idea. But well, let's make WDZ work. :P

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by WDZ on 06-19-2005 at 02:33 AM

Well, the icon change is a pretty good idea, but we need several versions of the new "moved" icon, depending on whether the thread is read or unread and whether it's "hot" or not...

movedfolder.gif
newmovedfolder.gif
hotmovedfolder.gif
newhotmovedfolder.gif

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by matty on 07-04-2005 at 03:30 AM

Here are the icons... wow late lol

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by Mnjul on 07-09-2005 at 11:30 AM

Er... Mister...Double-U Dizzy? What's up now?

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by Shezi on 07-09-2005 at 02:16 PM

here is my work..;)
icons...
[Image: folder3td.gif]      [Image: hotfolder1za.gif]      [Image: newfolder5en.gif]      [Image: newhotfolder1hc.gif]

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by Nathan on 07-09-2005 at 02:21 PM

I prefer Shezis to mattys..  soz matty :P

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by CookieRevised on 07-09-2005 at 02:34 PM

I like the ones from Shezi better then Matty's though...

Anyways, they can be optimized and need some tweaking though (as well as the already existing icons)... I'll do it in a minute

---------------------------

EDIT:

Existing icons:
- fixed not matching colors between same general areas (the paper)
- fixed some pixels and transparency for some icons
- converted all to non interlaced (smaller filesize)
- changed transparent color to first index and green color in all icons
In new "move" icons:
- fixed not matching colors between same general areas (the paper)
- fixed some sizes of some icons so they are aligned properly
- converted all to non interlaced (smaller filesize)
- reduced to max 64 colors
- changed transparent color to first index and green color in all icons

OLD         NEW          OLD          NEW
folder.gif            273 bytes   241 bytes  13x16x32  NI  13x16x32 NI 
hotfolder.gif         309 bytes   260 bytes  15x17x32   I  13x16x32 NI
hotlockfolder.gif     448 bytes   424 bytes  15x17x64   I  15x17x64 NI
hotmovefolder.gif     628 bytes   419 bytes  14x17x128 NI  15x17x64 NI
lockfolder.gif        451 bytes   412 bytes  15x17x64   I  15x17x64 NI
movefolder.gif        617 bytes   405 bytes  14x17x128 NI  15x17x64 NI
newfolder.gif         215 bytes   173 bytes  13x16x16   I  13x16x16 NI
newhotfolder.gif      285 bytes   229 bytes  15x17x32   I  13x16x32 NI
newhotlockfolder.gif  447 bytes   406 bytes  15x17x64   I  15x17x64 NI
newhotmovefolder.gif  614 bytes   402 bytes  14x17x128 NI  15x17x64 NI
newlockfolder.gif     445 bytes   409 bytes  15x17x64   I  15x17x64 NI
newmovefolder.gif     612 bytes   398 bytes  14x17x128 NI  15x17x64 NI
                     5344 bytes  4178 bytes

The new (fixed) complete set:

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by CookieRevised on 07-09-2005 at 05:18 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=493185]

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by Mnjul on 07-11-2005 at 12:02 PM

Thank you, Cookie, but I am afriad that all your efforts would go to total waste as long as Mr. WDZ is too *beep*.

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by WDZ on 07-12-2005 at 04:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
[Image: attachment.php?pid=493185]
Beautiful. :banana:
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
Thank you, Cookie, but I am afriad that all your efforts would go to total waste as long as Mr. WDZ is too *beep*.
Too WHAT? :o
RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by WDZ on 07-12-2005 at 04:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Calvin
so DZ, are you going to do it?
Why wouldn't I? I'm just taking my time as usual.
quote:
i think he was going to say lazy
He should have just said it then... I certainly wouldn't be offended... :p

Cookie: It looks like the Windows Picture/Fax Viewer has a problem displaying lockfolder.gif. :-/ However it seems fine in IE and Opera, so maybe it's no problem.
RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by CookieRevised on 07-14-2005 at 02:48 AM

hmmm..... I checked it out and indeed it shows rather strange (every other gif viewer I tried shows it fine). I looked at the gif on byte level and there is nothing wrong with it; the stucture is absolutely fine. When the image is interlaced however, windows picture/fax viewer shows it fine. It seems like a render bug in the pic/fax viewer though (It always renders the pics (in a strange way) before it shows them if the pics are below a certain size or colors)

but, if you don't trust it, here is the interlaced version (6 bytes bigger then the non-interlaced though :p)

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by WDZ on 07-14-2005 at 05:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
but, if you don't trust it
I trust it, but I was just afraid it might have a bug that could affect the way it's shown in some browsers. Thanks for checking it out. :p

Update: OK, I uploaded your new icon set. :)
RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by Mnjul on 07-14-2005 at 06:01 AM

Great job DZ (Y) I think there will be no more misunderstanding ;)

RE: Why is it that when threads get moved, they automaticly get locked? by Shezi on 07-14-2005 at 07:08 PM

thank you to use my icons.. ;)
and thanx cookie for the enhancement.. :)