Shoutbox

Reinstall sounds @ Application Data - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data (/showthread.php?tid=46572)

Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by OnegaiNL on 06-19-2005 at 08:33 PM

Can i reinstall the sounds that are in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Messenger Plus!\Custom Sounds"?

I had to reinstall my computer thanks to some crappy program screwing with my keyboard @_@

RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by Patchou on 06-19-2005 at 09:14 PM

Unfortunately you can't do that automatically based on this directory, sorry.. however, you can probably do it in a minute or two by just using the /sound command with the ID of every sound you had (which is the name of each file).

RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by Dempsey on 06-19-2005 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Unfortunately you can't do that automatically based on this directory, sorry.. however, you can probably do it in a minute or two by just using the /sound command with the ID of every sound you had (which is the name of each file).
but if you have about 2,500 sounds like I do, that could take a while :p

Isn't the best option to export all your sounds then to import them all again after the reinstall?
RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by Patchou on 06-19-2005 at 09:23 PM

of course it is, but I guess this guy just couldn't do it for some reason (and if you can, then yes, the best is to export all your soudns and to import them again).

Btw... 2500 sounds?!?! it must take for ever to load the sound panel doesn't it?

RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by Dempsey on 06-19-2005 at 09:27 PM

quote:
Btw... 2500 sounds?!?! it must take for ever to load the sound panel doesn't it?
yea it does, it freezes Messenger for upto 10 seconds sometimes.  I have so many cos I test all of the SoundPacks uploaded to [cheap plug] MPsounds.net [/cheap plug]

Thats why I requested in somewhere that you make the sound panel load in a seperate thread if possible :p
RE: RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by OnegaiNL on 06-19-2005 at 09:28 PM

quote:
of course it is, but I guess this guy just couldn't do it for some reason (and if you can, then yes, the best is to export all your soudns and to import them again).

Well i had so much to reinstall so i forgot =/
RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by pollolibredegrasa on 06-26-2005 at 02:39 PM

I had the same problem (see thread Here)

It was a while ago, but I finally managed to create an application that:

1) Scans the folder and creates a list of all the sounds there
2) Retreives the sound name for each file found
3) Enables the user to select the files they wish to re-add
4) Adds the basic information required to the registry (now including the sound category) and thus re-installs each sound

I have tested it and have also given to a couple of friends who also had the same problem, and it worked for them also, but I was wondering how any of you guys felt if I improved upon it enough to make it publicly available? I have uploaded screenshots here:

Scan PC:
[Image: scanpc4fk.th.jpg]

Select Sounds:
[Image: selectsounds6ly.th.jpg]

Install Sounds:
[Image: installsounds1hk.th.jpg]

Finished Install:
[Image: finishedinstall4oa.th.jpg]

About Screen:
[Image: finishedabout1vv.th.jpg]

Any input would be good :)

Richard

RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by Dempsey on 06-26-2005 at 02:44 PM

Looks like a very useful tool (Y)

If you do release it I'll add a page about it on MPSounds.net with a tutorial on how to use it if thats ok?

RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by pollolibredegrasa on 06-26-2005 at 02:47 PM

Yeah that would be great Dempsey!

It still needs some work at the moment, as originally it was for personal use and therefore only Windows 2000/XP compatible (due to the sounds folder) and I would also like to change the way sounds are played when the user presses "preview sounds" (as it currently uses windows media player which I'm SURE is not the best way of doing it) but I'll keep you informed.

Richard

RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by Dempsey on 06-26-2005 at 02:49 PM

what language is it programmed in?  C++ by the looks of it?

RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by pollolibredegrasa on 06-26-2005 at 03:06 PM

Actually its in VB6, and upon re-reading some of the code, it turns out I actually had made it compatible with earlier versions of Windows (sound path folder).

I am still trying to improve how the sounds are previewed (currently each previewed sound is copied to users temp folder and played through WMP and then deleted) as this method is slow and messy.

RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by Dempsey on 06-26-2005 at 03:41 PM

MCI

Thats how to play .wav files in VB, I havent tried it to see if it works for MP3s too, it may not do as you need to codecs etc.

RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by Millenium_edition on 06-26-2005 at 04:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
MCI

Thats how to play .wav files in VB, I havent tried it to see if it works for MP3s too, it may not do as you need to codecs etc.
you can play them by using "mpegvideo" instead of "waveaudio" (this using the MCI control, but it should work with this too)
RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by Patchou on 06-26-2005 at 04:25 PM

wow, nice app, thanks a lot for that, I'm sure it will prove to be useful to several people in the same situation.

As for the sound panel loading time, I have some ideas about how to optimise it, I'll try to work on that for the next version :).

RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by Dempsey on 06-26-2005 at 04:29 PM

quote:
As for the sound panel loading time, I have some ideas about how to optimise it, I'll try to work on that for the next version :).

:banana:  woohoo can't wait to try it out with my 3,000 sounds Patchou :D

RE: RE: Reinstall sounds @ Application Data by pollolibredegrasa on 06-26-2005 at 04:39 PM

(H)

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
MCI

you can play them by using "mpegvideo" instead of "waveaudio" (this using the MCI control, but it should work with this too)

Thanks. I'll try that when I've sorted a few other things.

And I'm already looking forward to the next version Patchou! Keep up the good work! (H)

Edit: Thanks Millenium_edition - Just tried it now and it works a treat!