Shoutbox

net passport pop up box, [anoying] - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: net passport pop up box, [anoying] (/showthread.php?tid=46610)

net passport pop up box, [anoying] by King For A Day on 06-20-2005 at 04:02 PM

i was just browsing around my documents when this poped up, i have no idea where its from, or why it suddenly apeard but it did, and even when i click cancel it reapears instantly and i cant do anything while its there. i didnt trust it, but i enterd the details from an acount i dont use or care about and that did work as it told me my detail were incorect.
i am going to run a virus scan and a spyware scanner later but i wonder if anyone knows what it is.

[Image: hmm1dh.th.png]

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by Nathan on 06-20-2005 at 05:18 PM

It could be a virus which is hidden like the latest ones in msn. It could be disgused as microsoft so that when you type ur password and uesername it records it and sends it to the perosn who gave the virus to you.
Just a thought.

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by absorbation on 06-20-2005 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
It could be a virus which is hidden like the latest ones in msn. It could be disgused as microsoft so that when you type ur password and uesername it records it and sends it to the perosn who gave the virus to you.
Just a thought.

Nice thought :P Just a bug ingore it or wait for cookie :P

It could be becuase you lost connection. Were you using polgramy at the time?
RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by King For A Day on 06-20-2005 at 05:23 PM

no its not msn i didnt even have that open, i wasnt on hotmail or anything.

i closed pretty much everythign fromt he procceses as i was looking for somthing that may have caused the problem

i guess ill just wait for cookie he'll know

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by CookieRevised on 06-20-2005 at 05:33 PM

nope, I don't know :P

Because I never seen the dialog, and I even never seen that particular layout of the .NET Passport dialog...

Even if MSN Messenger was running, it surely isn't from that. It also isn't from a site you might be visiting (eg: hotmail), because .NET Passport dialogs are given in the webpage itself, not with a standalone dialog.

All I can think of is that it is from a legit (hopefully) program your running....

In other words: I very strongly believe, until further notice, that this is a virus/spyware/malware/whatever...

------

When it does popup, check your processes and list them here...

------

Virusscans, etc are to be done in safe mode to do it properly...
see CookieRevised's reply to Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by Nathan on 06-20-2005 at 05:35 PM

Yer but you could of recieved something. which is run in the background if you see what i mean.

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by absorbation on 06-20-2005 at 05:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In other words: I very strongly believe, until further notice, that this is a virus/spyware/malware/whatever...

Wow an odd virus do you download anything dodgy?
RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by CookieRevised on 06-20-2005 at 05:44 PM

Another sign (for me): the first sentence (and another one) doesn't even make sense and will never be used by legit sites/companies because it is plain wrong...

"Sign in with your Microsoft Passport Network"

What's a Microsoft Passport Network?? And signing in with a "network"?? How do you do that?...

"Don't have a Microsoft Passport Network?"

No, I don't have a .NET Passport Network. Nobody has, unless you have won the lotery and set up your own big network where people can sign in using the their .NET Passport....

It should be "Sign in with your (Microsoft) .NET Passport" or "Sign in to the Microsoft Passport Network"....

- ".NET" doesn't mean "Network", ".NET" is the type of "passport"...
- and "Passport" is an alternative word for "account".

EDIT: After thinking about this for 5 minutes, I'm even more sure that this is a very malicious password stealer (from someone who's stupid enough to even mess up a few sentences)...

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by King For A Day on 06-20-2005 at 05:50 PM

Wow an odd virus do you download anything dodgy?

all the time, nah i only get music and movies but they have all been just single files nothing that could have caused problems, and i almost never install anything except for magor programs like msn photopshop that sort of thing, no tiny little freeware things.

one thing is that nortan isnt up to date.

theres nothing unusual in the procceses and i closed everything i didnt recognise but it stayed there, spybot got nothing iand i dont think i have anyhting else to check with

if i click
"need help signing in" it goes here https://login.passport.net/ppsecure/uisecure.srf?lc=1033&id=10

if i click
"forgot you password" it goes here https://accountservices.passport.net/uiresetpw.srf?lc=1033

and if i click
"get one here" it goes tohttps://accountservices.passport.net/alreadysignedin.srf?lc=1033

all of those seem pretty legit
RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by CookieRevised on 06-20-2005 at 05:53 PM

Everybody knows those links and they can easly be put there. In fact, it would be pretty stupid to put non-legit links there....

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by King For A Day on 06-20-2005 at 06:55 PM

yeh i know that but i thought it would be helpfull to give as much info as possible, calm down mate

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by jren207 on 06-20-2005 at 07:27 PM

I have that too. It's for managing your MSN webfolders, like web documents for the built-in XP publish to web wizard and the folders on MSN Groups.

I think I got it after downloading the MSN chat control that you need to use MSN chat rooms (if any as they are virtually closed).

On the other hand, before reformatting and having installed MS Office 2003 (I had installed the MSN chat control as well.. meh), when you click on the drop down list at the top for saving files and select the web locations.

Although, I thought you'd only get the pop-up when going into "My Network Places" and double-clicking on the "My Web Sites on MSN" icon.

(see attached image).

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by CookieRevised on 06-20-2005 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by King For A Day
yeh i know that but i thought it would be helpfull to give as much info as possible
true

[OFFTOPIC]
quote:
calm down mate
I am calm, why wouldn't I be calm? O.o
I'm very relaxed and don't need to calm down....
I simply responded in a normal fashioned to the point way, what is wrong with that?
[/OFFTOPIC]
RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by sn1p3r on 06-20-2005 at 07:32 PM

It does look a lot like one of those password stealers as msg_plus_freak suggested. I've seen a lot of them before and many of them feature differant ways of tricking the victim into entering their email and password for them to retreive, such as faking a messenger update which prompts you to sign in with your email and password.

If anyone has sent you any files lately that didn't seem to do anything upon trying to open them, this could be the server file which is allowing them to connect to your computer and cause the popup to be displayed. Look for 'server.exe' on your processes list or any other suspicious looking files, also look in your startup list. And remove anything that seems suspicious. (only if you're sure it's safe to do so)

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by Millenium_edition on 06-20-2005 at 07:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
I have that too. It's for managing your MSN webfolders, like web documents for the built-in XP publish to web wizard and the folders on MSN Groups.

I think I got it after downloading the MSN chat control that you need to use MSN chat rooms (if any as they are virtually closed).

On the other hand, before reformatting and having installed MS Office 2003 (I had installed the MSN chat control as well.. meh), when you click on the drop down list at the top for saving files and select the web locations.

Although, I thought you'd only get the pop-up when going into "My Network Places" and double-clicking on the "My Web Sites on MSN" icon.

(see attached image).
normal behaviour, nothing to worry about... it's a custom network folder automatically installed by MSN chat or msn groups or somethig like that...
RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by CookieRevised on 06-20-2005 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
I have that too. It's for managing your MSN webfolders
(...)
(see attached image).
Can you make a screenshot of that particular popup? As I suspect it is not the same one...

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by Ezra on 06-20-2005 at 07:46 PM

Yup "normal" login screen, it's kinda :dodgy:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=483282]

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by jren207 on 06-20-2005 at 08:17 PM

I'll just post another screenshot to go with my other one.

(I ticked the remember box and couldn't sign out to get the window, well until I clicked sign out in hotmail, so I think it's geniune or I wouldn't have been logged out from that pop-up thing when signing out of hotmail...)

anyway...

(screenshot attached)

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by King For A Day on 06-20-2005 at 09:32 PM

i have recently installed ms 0ffice 2003, but im not sure about that chat thing.

theres nothing i can do at the moment to get rid of it though

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
[OFFTOPIC]

quote:Originally posted by King For A Day
    calm down mate

I am calm, why wouldn't I be calm? O.o
I'm very relaxed and don't need to calm down....
I simply responded in a normal fashioned to the point way, what is wrong with that?
[/OFFTOPIC]

sorry but u kinda just jumped on somthing petty like that it seemd a bit pointless
RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by jren207 on 06-20-2005 at 10:07 PM

It must be from MS Office 2003, as I saw it appear after that really. I just thought it might of come from MSN chat control as like an extra.

If you haven't been to an MSN chat room, which I doubt you will have been, then it seems it's from MS Office 2003

When exactly does it pop-up?

RE: RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by CookieRevised on 06-20-2005 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Yup "normal" login screen, it's kinda :dodgy:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=483282]

wow, so it it genuine?????? O.O

Who the hell came up with those sentences then? That person needs a lesson in grammar I'd say... or he/she was drunk.... Possible done by some interim worker who didn't know what he/she was doing :P

"Log in with your network" What kind of meaning is that.....

:dodgy: MS....

-------

[OFF TOPIC]
quote:
sorry but u kinda just jumped on somthing petty like that it seemd a bit pointless
I didn't jumped on anything. I simply replied that such links aren't proof of anything (not legit, nor non-legot) as those links are known by everybody and can be copied and put anywhere.

That isn't jumping on anything, that is giving information...

(this reply would be slightly "jumping on something" though...)
[/OFF TOPIC]

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by lizard.boy on 06-21-2005 at 02:18 PM

if you want to be absolutly sure you can download Process Explorer and use the "find window's process" tool from the toolbar to check what process the dialog is from.

RE: net passport pop up box, [anoying] by Millenium_edition on 06-21-2005 at 05:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
if you want to be absolutly sure you can download Process Explorer and use the "find window's process" tool from the toolbar to check what process the dialog is from.
if it's a dll virus which injects into explorer.exe (or something of that kind), the process is "explorer.exe", so your idea is good but useless.