Shoutbox

Add custom sound - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Add custom sound (/showthread.php?tid=46622)

Add custom sound by Yousef on 06-20-2005 at 06:45 PM

Hey,
Is there any way I can add a custom sound from my plugin? I've got a nice idea :d

RE: Add custom sound by Dempsey on 06-20-2005 at 06:48 PM

Currently not, although you could automate the dialogs appearing etc, but it wouldnt look very nice, loads of dialogs flashing up and disappearing.

Maybe Patchou could add something in the Plugin API in the next release.

RE: Add custom sound by Yousef on 06-20-2005 at 07:35 PM

I'll PM Patchou then...

RE: Add custom sound by Millenium_edition on 06-20-2005 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Juzzi
I'll PM Patchou then...
e-mail him, he barely reads pm's...
RE: Add custom sound by CookieRevised on 06-20-2005 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Juzzi
Hey,
Is there any way I can add a custom sound from my plugin? I've got a nice idea :d
yes, because all you need to do is to make the nessecairy changes in the registry. No Messenger Plus! API or whatever is needed for this, simply pure programming and setting some stuff in the registry.

-----

The soundfile itself (named like #xxxxxxxxxxxx.dat) is in normal circumstances placed in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Messenger Plus!\Custom Sounds\ (this directory can be different in rare occasions; and I'm not talking about the differences between OS version though).

The filename is also the Sound ID (the "xxxxxxxxxxxx" part). This Sound ID is to be placed in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\Nobody\CustSounds as a subkey if you don't have private sound libraries[*].

This subkey holds primarly 3 important values Category, Flags and Name. See CookieRevised's reply to .plp Files for more info on these.
(Update: Since Messenger Plus! 3.60 there is an extra registry value named Language)

[*] Take in account the advanced messenger Plus! registry key CustomSoundsPrivate.

-----

Personal note: If you implement something like this, please do it in the totally correct way or don't do it at all.

It is certainly not recommended to do this manually if you're not knowing exactly all the "ins", "outs" and "rules" of those registry settings. Patchou and also your plugin users wouldn't be happy if you screw something up by not implementing it correctly. Hence I don't know for sure if I should've posted all this; although much of the info _is_ available and all you need to do is bring things together and also do some seriously testing.
RE: Add custom sound by Yousef on 06-20-2005 at 08:07 PM

Thank you CR! You've been very helpful once again. I just missed the 'nobody' key in the registry... I'll surely keep in mind your 'Personal Note' during developing.

Edit: where can I find "Messenger Plus! - Custom Sound Format.doc"?

RE: Add custom sound by CookieRevised on 06-20-2005 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised here
PS: I also have described the Custom Sound Format itself in detail in the same way. But I still need to make a PDF out of it, blank some stuff out and need to get the approval for publication of Patchou, especially since there are some things in there which Patchou don't want to be out in public.
Since then I got the approval of Patchou, but I still need to make a PDF out of it... I'll see what I can do tonight... stay tuned...

EDIT (20-06-05): I've updated the attachment.
EDIT (05-12-05): attachment updated again