Shoutbox

What is Music? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: What is Music? (/showthread.php?tid=46655)

What is Music? by user27089 on 06-21-2005 at 07:27 PM

Well, I was doing minimilism in class the other day (GCSE Music), and a point was brought up by the teacher; What really is music? How can you define music, music comes in different shapes and styles, but all in all, isn't it really just sound?

We are currently doing a study, about the man who created it, and those others that progressed it further, such as the phasing aspect of it etc. The man who was the first to "compose" minimilism, was from the "hippy" era, and his first show brough thousands of people, all it was, was a piano, on a stage, with a bucket of hay next to it, the composition was something like this:

'Walk onto the stage,
bring the piano onto the stage,
bring a bucket of hay onto the stage
wait for the piano to eat the bucket of hay'

It's not really a composition, but is it? The silence of those expecting something to happen, brought more sound around them, the peoples breathing, the beating of hearts etc, so it was really natural music simply brought around by this strange act on stage.

So the question is, what is music? and what does it trully mean to you?

I have been meaning to post the question "what is music?" for around a week now, I quite simply forgot lmfao... too much on my mind, stupid exams.

RE: What is Music? by Stigmata on 06-21-2005 at 07:31 PM

i think music is a expression of opinion

RE: What is Music? by user27089 on 06-21-2005 at 07:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
i think music is a expression of opinion

Explain :p...

Music is only what you want it to be? Is that what you mean? (y)...

Personally, I think music is everything... I forgot to add that to the first post :$.
RE: What is Music? by RaceProUK on 06-21-2005 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
'Walk onto the stage,
bring the piano onto the stage,
bring a bucket of hay onto the stage
wait for the piano to eat the bucket of hay'
And people paid for that? I'd want my money back.

Music is the artform of combining numerous sounds of different pitches and other qualities to produce a pleasing form of entertainment, or to provoke emotion.
RE: What is Music? by Veggie on 06-21-2005 at 07:56 PM

I would say that music is very tightly linked to mathematics, music is art, music is a way of expressing yourself.
Me and my mates came a across a difficult question when discussing this the other day, would you rather be deaf or blind.

RE: What is Music? by gif83 on 06-21-2005 at 07:59 PM

that is a question a bit like "what is art?"
and i think that it is something different to everyone. You have to define it yourself.
my definition would be something along the lines of...
music is something that people choose to listen to for a non-practical purpose

RE: What is Music? by jren207 on 06-21-2005 at 09:00 PM

Some kind of rhythm that makes you do stuff, makes you happy/sad/work harder/motivate you/ etc. A collection of sounds...

RE: RE: What is Music? by CookieRevised on 06-21-2005 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Music is the artform of combining numerous sounds of different pitches and other qualities to produce a pleasing form of entertainment, or to provoke emotion.

for me:
Music is a combination of things you can hear which the creator or beholder thinks of it as coherent.

* I didn't use the word "artform", as this is very subjective and music isn't nessecairly "art".
* I didn't use the word "sounds" as this might imply certain things related to music. "Music" can consist of anything you hear.
* I certainly didn't use the word "pitches" as this certainly can imply audio only. Pitch is also not nessecairly important in music.
* I didn't use the words "quality", "pleasing", "entertainment", "emotion", etc..  as these are again very subjective somethings.

Important for me is the word "coherent". Music is exactly that, otherwise you have simply "sound" or undefined stuff you hear. But notice I underlined "which the creator or beholder", because music can be anything to any person. It is the creator or beholder who calls it music, no-one else and you may/may not agree with it; it is the creator or beholder who thinks it is coherent or not...

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
Some kind of rhythm that makes you do stuff, makes you happy/sad/work harder/motivate you/ etc. A collection of sounds...
1) Music doesn't need to have a rythem to be called music.
2) The individual sounds in the collection needs to have "a relation", it needs to be "coherent" in the eye of the creator...

quote:
Originally posted by gif83
music is something that people choose to listen to for a non-practical purpose
People can be forced to listen. Music can be very practical.

quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
I would say that music is very tightly linked to mathematics, music is art, music is a way of expressing yourself.
music, as most of us know it, is indeed very related to maths, but this isn't nessecairly so...
Music can be very non-"arty" ("art" is an even more subjective word though). Music can have nothing to do with expressing, feelings, emotions and the likes...

-
IMH(and personal)O
RE: What is Music? by gif83 on 06-21-2005 at 09:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
for me:
Music is a combination of things you can hear which the creator thinks of it as coherent.

* I didn't use the word "artform", as this is very subjective.
* I didn't use the word "sounds" as this might imply certain things related to music. "Music" can consist of anything you hear.
* I certainly didn't use the word "pitches" as this certainly can imply audio.
* I didn't use the words "quality", "pleasing", "entertainment", "emotion", etc..  as these are again very subjective somethings.

Important in for me is the word "coherent". Music is exactly that, otherwise you have simply "sound". But notice I underlined "which the creator", because music can be anything to any person. It is the creator who calls it music, no-one else and you may/may not agree with it...

coherent is not really enough for the definition since a telesales person could be talking down to the phone to you coherently.

you say artform is subjective... but so is music... (and yes i do understand that this is probably not your view)

and it's not up to the creator to define... or else music wouldn't be alive.

i leave you with one final comment...

the sound of the end of school bell may be music to many pupils' ears
RE: RE: What is Music? by CookieRevised on 06-21-2005 at 09:42 PM

I've edited my post even before readin yours, but:

quote:
coherent is not really enough for the definition since a telesales person could be talking down to the phone to you coherently.
coherent means the individual parts need to be in some kind of relationship (defined by the creator or beholder) to the other parts and to the whole... If there isn't a relationship, then you have individual hearable stuff, nothing more...

quote:
you say artform is subjective... but so is music...
That's indeed exactly what my definition says, see the words "for the creator or beholder". If it wasn't something subjective that line wouldn't be there.

quote:
and it's not up to the creator to define... or else music wouldn't be alive.
Music doesn't need to be alive at all. I can create something and call it music. For me it is music and since music is subjective, this is were it ends without discussion...

quote:
the sound of the end of school bell may be music to many pupils' ears
indeed. But now you're using the word "music" as something else, as a metaphor and not literally as a definition requires; The bell may sound like "crazy" also (metaphor), is the bell therefore crazy (definition of crazy)? Or: a table can look to me as a "car". Surely the definition of a table doesn't include anything related to a car....

;)
RE: What is Music? by gif83 on 06-21-2005 at 09:54 PM

quote:
coherent means the individual parts need to have some kind of a relation to the whole. It is enough...

did you not read my post? as i said before... the telesales person (creator) still explains things coherently and believes it to be coherent him/herself. so do you believe that this is music?

quote:
That's indeed exactly what my definition says, see the words "for the creator or beholder". If it wasn't something subjective that line wouldn't be there.

where did you say beholder before? and sure having a beholder would make it subjective..... (beholders tend to have opinions)

quote:
Music doesn't need to be alive at all. I can create something and call it music. For me it is music and since music is subjective, this is were it ends without discussion...

well that's your view i guess and we'll just have to agree to disagree

quote:
indeed. But now you're using the word "music" as something else, as a methafor and not literally; The bell may sound like "crazy" also, is the bell therefore crazy?

you used a poor exaple there... my one was "..is music to someone's ears" which decribes something pleasureable to hear. yes that is a metaphor, but surely the metaphor is a definition of music in itself.... think about it.

your one was "LIKE crazy" use of the word "like" implies similarity as opposed to definition
RE: What is Music? by Tasha on 06-21-2005 at 10:31 PM

It's incredibly hard to define music. What is music to one person is just nothing to another. For instance, in our music lessons at school we are using vocal sounds (like simply coughing, or clicking our tongues), to create what the teacher calls "music". To him, it is music, to me, it is just making noise.

I have to agree with gif on all he has said, especially about the telesales person being coherent.

RE: What is Music? by mwe99 on 06-21-2005 at 10:42 PM

Google defines it as "organized sound"

RE: What is Music? by dylan! on 06-21-2005 at 10:46 PM

music is sounds that go together....well thats what i think:S:P

RE: What is Music? by mwe99 on 06-21-2005 at 10:47 PM

a controlled type of noise? i.e when you bang on the desk you control the beat etc

RE: What is Music? by Jhrono on 06-21-2005 at 10:53 PM

Music throws out emotions, in a rythm, balanced or not, decided by it's author.

The human being associates music to certain feelings and situations, as ,myself, per example, associate colors to pain, when you have a wound..

My 10 secs of attetion...

RE: What is Music? by toddiot on 06-21-2005 at 11:25 PM

quote:

Personally, I think music is everything...

Music is everything. Just think about life without music. That... that would be so boring!
quote:
Originally posted by Johny

The human being associates music to certain feelings and situations ...

Yep. Fast-paced music usually makes you feel happy (or irritated -- I've felt both :P), while slow music can make you feel sad.
RE: What is Music? by CookieRevised on 06-21-2005 at 11:27 PM

quote:
did you not read my post?
I did
quote:
as i said before... the telesales person (creator) still explains things coherently and believes it to be coherent him/herself. so do you believe that this is music?
reread what I said... let me say it in a different way:
1) for him it may be coherent, while it is garbage en simply mumbling to me.
2) No it is not music for me as this hasn't anything to do with what I call "sounds".
3) Yes it could be music for me if I was his boss...

The definition I gave is perfectly valid...
quote:
where did you say beholder before? and sure having a beholder would make it subjective..... (beholders tend to have opinions)
As I said in my previous post: I edited the post right after I wrote it, before I read your reply... And creators have opinions of their own too. even by adding "creator" alone, it makes it subjective already...
quote:
quote:
well that's your view i guess and we'll just have to agree to disagree
You misunderstood me, It's not the end of this thread aka: of our discussion we're doing atm, of course. It is the end of the "is my own created music, music"-discussion for the creator of the "music". Because as far as he/she is concearned, it is music for him/her and since music is subjective and subjective things are things which can be discussed endlessly without getting anywhere and in the end both parties are correct....

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
my point exactly... organized = coherent (although I added the subjective part to it also). Without it you don't have music. All the other things are irrelevant...

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
what the teacher calls "music". To him, it is music, to me, it is just making noise.

I have to agree with gif on all he has said, especially about the telesales person being coherent.
ermm... he said that to proof me wrong when in fact he just prooved that being coherent means nothing more then being organized, or in other words, that the individual parts having some relationship (eg: the earth sounds of your teacher's music; or whatever you may call it). Thus exactly what I said in the first place. You may not find it coherent while it is very coherent for the other person.....

quote:
quote:
indeed. But now you're using the word "music" as something else, as a methafor and not literally; The bell may sound like "crazy" also, is the bell therefore crazy?

you used a poor exaple there... my one was "..is music to someone's ears" which decribes something pleasureable to hear. yes that is a metaphor, but surely the metaphor is a definition of music in itself.... think about it.

your one was "LIKE crazy" use of the word "like" implies similarity as opposed to definition

it is exactly the same.... "like xxx" or "may be xxx" is the same in this context. And thus the example I gave was exactly intended to be like that so it shows that your example _is_ a (very obvious) metaphor and shouldn't be confused with a literal definition. Let me give another one:
"the schoolbel may be music to people's ears" =>
"the schoolbel may be painfull to people's ears".
This is by no means a definition of painfull, although it can be used as an example of what it is... And if your sentence was a definition in itself, then it's wrong, cause music isn't always pleasurable...
RE: What is Music? by multimillion2k on 06-21-2005 at 11:45 PM

Having a degree in music, one could assume I would have an idea of what defines music (I do, thankfully)
However, when it comes to determining what and what isn't music, I would agree with gif83 - music is like art (in reality, it IS art). But more on this later, perhaps.

and now:

THE FUNDAMENTALS OF MUSIC. Part 1

Anything considered music possesses these four qualities:
a) pitch/frequency
b) duration/rhythm
c) timbre/tone/sound colour
d) amplitude/volume

In a nutshell, this includes any sound we hear, since all sound possesses these qualities.
However..!
We can also include sounds we don't hear, as the fact that we cannot hear it is irrelevant. (So I'm not being PC - who cares? Don't start arguing about trees in woods)
Technically, sound is caused by vibrations, and since every single thing in this world moves..

Many of my compositions were inspired by John Cage, who has one particularly well-known piece which all of you will have heard, unless you're deaf (but that raises further questions) called 4'33". I reccomend you all listen to it :)
I've composed pieces of people building card houses, marching on the spot, slamming piano lids. I didn't quite get to setting one on fire and pushing it off a building, but Black Eyed Peas has already got a piano smashing in their clip anyway.
I recieved high marks for everything - ironic, because it's everything I considered music shouldn't be.
Did I call it music? Yes.
Musical? No.

However, go take a look at Duchamp's signed urinal, it's considered to be the most influential modern art work of all time. Is it really art?

In conclusion:
Music is music. (dooooooolce!)

BTW, I've just composed a new piece while writing this. It's called 'typing at the keyboard while picking your nose'. It's copyrighted, so be warned..
If you want to buy the CD, entitled KEYBOARD SOUNDZ (note the trendynezz!) it's only $24.95 from Te Warewhare.
Included tracks:
- typing at the keyboard while scratching your butt
- typing at the keyboard while poking your eye
Bonus track:
- typing at the keyboard while scratching your eye with your butt

Keep an eye out for my upcoming release, CLICKING THE MOUZE..

RE: What is Music? by aNILEator on 06-22-2005 at 06:20 AM

minimalism started way before hippies traxor :P

RE: What is Music? by shine on 06-22-2005 at 06:26 AM

Music is an accepted form of noise pollution :tongue:

RE: What is Music? by user27089 on 06-22-2005 at 07:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddiot
Just think about life without music.

I have thought about it, and there will always be music there, there is always sound, which IMO is music.

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
minimalism started way before hippies traxor :P

It was majorly progressed in the 1960s.
RE: What is Music? by Purity on 06-22-2005 at 08:08 AM

Well, I live for music, I love it!

To me, it sometimes gives me something to relate to, like lots of artists and bands write music, and it's expressed by their opinion, I usually listen to music that i have  the same kind of opinion on.  Music is what cools me off, makes me relaxed, it's like a drug, it's an addiction.  I almost can't really explain music.

Like in Marilyn Manson's song Disposable Teens he says:  (btw is about christians, please don't take offensively)

quote:
I never really hate one true god, but the god of the people I hated!

He's basically saying that he never hated god, but he hates the people that worship him, he's talking about christians, He thinks the same way as me, I just don't like the way christians live their life, not all christians but a good majority, some people just need to live their life.

Tasha is right, the whole clicking tongues thing is just noise IMO, sure it's a kinda of music for some culture, but what I think of music is: good rythm, instruments. kinda of thing(cant pinpoint my point.:()

kinda off topic here but I have been meaning to post this.

quote:
What do you look for in music?

My music ranges alot, from soft music to insane heavy grunge gothic stuff. All depends on which is in the lyrics, that's the first think that I look for. Next would be Rythm.(I even like some classical)

(Guitar solos own btw)

I like the kinda music that has a meaning to it, and the kind that makes you wanna scream out the lyrics or something. I also like music with a power Girl singer(Ex: strawberry gashes-Jackoff Jill). Alot of music I like has good rythm to it, I like the synth in The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson.

Alot of people complain and bitch on and on about Marilan Manson, but never take the time to actually listen what's in the lyrics.

I know ALOT of people that have judged Slipknot from they're previous albums, all the screaming and hate lyrics. They have changed alot, download some of their new songs, from the newest album, they have something to say. And half hte songs aren't even screaming, and 4-5 songs are soft lyrics. Lead singer(corey taylor) has a very good voice, whether it's screaming his lungs out or sing soflty.

This is just my point of view on music, and some people need to open their ears and listen to what's actually in the song.
[/rant]

You know, I could probably go on forever talking about music, face to face with some one etc.

I really wish I could say more but it's so hard to explain it.

Fact: Music speeds up brain waves.(H)  Apparently it's very healthy to listen to music. or something that has rythm.....

quote:
Me and my mates came a across a difficult question when discussing this the other day, would you rather be deaf or blind.
I would definitly be blind, I don't care if I would never be able to see a good looking girl or anythign like that, but thats just how much  music is to me, it's everything to me.

Just my opinion, everyone else has different ones.
RE: What is Music? by gif83 on 06-22-2005 at 09:16 AM

quote:

for me:
Music is a combination of things you can hear which the creator or beholder thinks of it as coherent.
I did

don't get me wrong, i actually like this definition. But your choice for using non-subjective adjectives is a little puzzling since this definition of yours is subjective anyway (your personal opinion).

quote:
reread what I said... let me say it in a different way:
1) for him it may be coherent, while it is garbage en simply mumbling to me.
2) No it is not music for me as this hasn't anything to do with what I call "sounds".
3) Yes it could be music for me if I was his boss...

The definition I gave is perfectly valid...

it definitely makes more sense now that i've read the edited definition (creator or beholder) :) .

btw definitions become a bit confusing when you require to define the words used to define it (for example the use of your definition of "sounds")

quote:
As I said in my previous post: I edited the post right after I wrote it, before I read your reply... And creators have opinions of their own too. even by adding "creator" alone, it makes it subjective already...

well i WAS trying to make the point that it was subjective :s

quote:
quote:

Originally posted by mwe99

my point exactly... organized = coherent (although I added the subjective part to it also). Without it you don't have music. All the other things are irrelevant...

i actually prefer the use of coherent seeing as organised implies some sort of order whereas i believe music requires no order in sound. coherent in this case kinda means understood (sorry can't find a better word right now to express what i mean).

quote:
This is by no means a definition of painfull, although it can be used as an example of what it is... And if your sentence was a definition in itself, then it's wrong, cause music isn't always pleasurable...

once again you have picked dodgy examples. you assume that pain is only physical. pain can be defined as the grievance in this case.. and that example you gave is in fact far more similar to mine. the bell IS the thing that inflicts the pain upon the pupil.

you say it is wrong but yet you just agreed before that definitions could be subjective. most metaphors of this sort are subjective but generally understood (actually they are objective derived from the subjective but that's another off topic discussion).

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
In conclusion:
Music is music. (dooooooolce!)

i like it... sweet sweet music! that's why we have the word music... so we can express ourselves without the need of the "definition". the most useful words are words that cannot really be described with other words.
RE: What is Music? by -Bogan- on 06-22-2005 at 09:36 AM

music is something that is so powerful it can alter your mood do. For example it can make you happy,angry,sad. It would have to be one of the most influential things used ever eg. protest songs. I could not live without music but there will always be music so I have nothing to worry about.

RE: What is Music? by King For A Day on 06-22-2005 at 09:57 AM

its just a mix of random noises that can sound realy great in the right order made by the right person but sound rubbish if changed slightly

or thats how i look at it

RE: What is Music? by multimillion2k on 06-22-2005 at 12:07 PM

I would have to agree with what everyone has said. I like the use of the term 'music to one's ears' - what does it really mean?
Perhaps a good point to ponder is, why do people create music?
Where is it used, and why do you listen to what you do?

RE: What is Music? by John Anderton on 06-22-2005 at 12:39 PM

Music (defn.) is the expression of a persons thoughts /
feelings / opinions by singing and by making sounds through instruments

Singing (defn.) is an act of expression of a persons thoughts / feelings / opinions by speaking in any language (making legible sounds) through the mouth.
=======================================================
mu·sic n.

• The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and
    timbre.
  • Vocal or instrumental sounds possessing a degree of melody, harmony, or rhythm.
  • A musical composition. The written or printed score for such a composition.
    Such scores considered as a group: We keep our music in a stack near the piano.
  • A musical accompaniment.
  • A particular category or kind of music.
  • An aesthetically pleasing or harmonious sound or combination of sounds: the music of the wind in the pines.

=======================================================

Music n.

1: an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating
instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner 2:
any agreeable (pleasing and harmonious) sounds; "he fell asleep to the
music of the wind chimes" [syn:
euphony]
3: musical activity (singing or whistling etc.); "his music was his
central interest" 4: (music) the sounds produced by singers or musical
instruments (or reproductions of such sounds) 5: punishment for one's
actions; "you have to face the music"; "take your medicine" [syn:
medicine]
========================================================

The 1st one is from me while the last 2 are by dictionary.com :refuck:
Those were the definitions :P Now the discussion. Life without music is ... dodgy :-/
It would be totally black and white .... music is the widest form of creativeness (followed by drawing and stuff). It inhibits the growth of your minds creativity. It sooths the soul :D Its good timepass when the teacher is teaching something you dont wanna learn :dodgy: :refuck:
RE: What is Music? by Matti on 06-22-2005 at 12:46 PM

Music is the thing u can't see or smell (or eat), but u can feel and hear it.

Music is the reason I've downloaded Windows Media Player! :D

RE: What is Music? by John Anderton on 06-22-2005 at 12:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
Music is the reason I've downloaded Windows Media Player!
:lol:

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
Music is the thing u can't see or smell (or eat), but u can feel and hear it.
You forgot touches your soul and inhibits the growth of your creativity :D
RE: RE: What is Music? by CookieRevised on 06-22-2005 at 02:50 PM

quote:
don't get me wrong, i actually like this definition. But your choice for using non-subjective adjectives is a little puzzling since this definition of yours is subjective anyway (your personal opinion).
that can be said of all the definitions in this thread... And a definition is meant to be something non-subjective, otherwise it wouldn't be a definition but an opinion. And the original purpose of this thread is to try to give a definition, not an opinion. Otherwise I would have said that in my opinion, music is stuff like the band Gjallerhorn makes and all the rest is stupid garbage.

quote:
btw definitions become a bit confusing when you require to define the words used to define it (for example the use of your definition of "sounds")
I explicitly didn't use the word "sound" because of that. I used "things you can hear"...
quote:

quote:
quote:
well i WAS trying to make the point that it was subjective :s
good because it was meant that way from the beginning :P

quote:
quote:
once again you have picked dodgy examples. you assume that pain is only physical. pain can be defined as the grievance in this case..
I didn't assume anything as it is of no relevance for the purpose of the example...

quote:
and that example you gave is in fact far more similar to mine.
errrr.... yes I know, that's the point. That's because I gave it so you would be less confussed (I hoped)...

quote:
the bell IS the thing that inflicts the pain upon the pupil.
yes so? That isn't what I meant. Compare both definitions (yours and mine) and reread the post. My point is those metaphores are by no means definitions. The subject of the "would-be" definition isn't the bell, but it is the "pain", or in your case "music". And pain is not equal to the sound of a bell; as well as music isn't equal to the sound of a bell. Remember we try to define "music", not "a bell".

quote:
you say it is wrong but yet you just agreed before that definitions could be subjective.
I said it is wrong to say that those metaphores could be seen as definitions. It is that I replied upon. I didn't speak of the subjective meaning of metaphores at all. That's a totally other matter (which is actually very clear that it is a subjective matter by reading my definition; even without the "by creator or beholder" part as the word "coherent" implies subjectiveness already)

quote:
the most useful words are words that cannot really be described with other words.
nice, I'll remember that quote...

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
Fact: Music speeds up brain waves.(H)  Apparently it's very healthy to listen to music. or something that has rythm.....
errm... no, not at all a fact, because it is wrong ;) If you would've said "it could be healthy" I wouldn't have replied to it though, because that would be correct...

Listening to certain music can make you very ill (in any definition of "ill"). And even applying certain music types (healing music) in a wrong way to a person can conflict great emotional and even physical(!) stress and pain.

-----

[OFF TOPIC]
quote:
Originally posted by Purity
quote:
I would definitly be blind, I don't care if I would never be able to see a good looking girl or anythign like that, but thats just how much  music is to me, it's everything to me.
The choice for me is easy though. I would like to be able to keep seeing. Eyes are much more important then ears. If you're deaf you can still feel sounds but also see sounds. Who's thinking only about beautifull girls (and music) in a choice like this? If that is all a human being would see then yes, I don't need to see beautifull girls all the time. Think about what you'll be missing when your blind and what everyday things you aren't able to do anymore. On the other hand, when your ""only"" deaf, you wouldn't miss out on so many things in life.
(mind the quotes and also read that sentence with some common sense; as this isn't meant as degrading/minimizing the fact; it still is something very severe)

Almost everything can be made clear and possible in a visible way. But not many things can be converted to sound in the same manner.

IMHO

PS: I'm not trying to convice you though, I'm just saying what I think of the two possible choices...
[/OFF TOPIC]
RE: What is Music? by user27089 on 06-22-2005 at 03:10 PM

The one who was ranting about the music they like:

I think you have deeply misunderstood the question that I asked, I didn't ask what music you liked, I asked what music is to you, as in, what do you feel that music is.

Is it just sound, or does it have to have a rhythm etc?

RE: What is Music? by toddiot on 06-22-2005 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -Bogan-
I could not live without music but there will always be music so I have nothing to worry about.

I couldn't live without music either, but ever since people started illegal downloading, all the music companies are saying that if this continues, there may not be enough money to make new artists [?]
RE: What is Music? by user27089 on 06-22-2005 at 10:07 PM

I think that's a load of balls to be honest. Music isn't all about money, it's about entertaining and enjoying what you like to do.

RE: What is Music? by DJeX on 06-22-2005 at 10:16 PM

I think all music should be free. We were given this great talent and skill to express feelings and stories that make us feel things without even experiencing them in person.

Music should be shared with everyone. I think man has taken over music and made it a dirty money pit. As much as I would love to get money for the music I make I'd rather have someone enjoy it for free than having them pay and not enjoying it.

RE: What is Music? by multimillion2k on 06-22-2005 at 10:49 PM

quote:
... And a definition is meant to be something non-subjective, otherwise it wouldn't be a definition but an opinion. And the original purpose of this thread is to try to give a definition, not an opinion.

Perhaps! But how about defining a word like sexy? I'm sure everyone here would like to give a definition of this. And I could argue that sexiness can be seen as music too, but that's a whole other topic.

quote:
Is it just sound, or does it have to have a rhythm etc?

Can we even include sound? I used to fall asleep composing whole symphonies in my head. I'm a geek. But more importantly, I wasn't physically hearing anything - so does that rule it out as being music? I mean, people *hear* voices in their head. What's the difference?

And I agree, music shouldn't be about money. There are those for whom music is only a means of making money, and there are true musicians who would play regardless of the money. But we all need to earn a crust somehow :)

RE: What is Music? by Purity on 06-23-2005 at 05:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
I think all music should be free. We were given this great talent and skill to express feelings and stories that make us feel things without even experiencing them in person.

Music should be shared with everyone. I think man has taken over music and made it a dirty money pit. As much as I would love to get money for the music I make I'd rather have someone enjoy it for free than having them pay and not enjoying it.
Yes would be good if it was free on our part, but that's all the artists really do, they don't have time for a job, to make money for a house, and pay bills.
RE: What is Music? by user27089 on 06-23-2005 at 07:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
Can we even include sound?

Include anything you wish, just don't put what bands/genres there are. ;).
RE: What is Music? by gif83 on 06-23-2005 at 09:54 AM

i guess we've all had quite a bit of fun defining something that is undefineable. :D

RE: What is Music? by saralk on 06-23-2005 at 01:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX

i too agree with that, but some people want to make music their life, and in a world like the world we live in, if you want to live, you need money.
RE: What is Music? by tomfletcherman on 06-23-2005 at 02:20 PM

I havn't read the rest of this thread, so my definition will probably be the same as someone elses, but music is:

a set of rhythms and/or melodies that create a set of sound that can be interpreted in a way that musically makes sense.