Shoutbox

nVidia or ATI? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: nVidia or ATI? (/showthread.php?tid=46676)

nVidia or ATI? by TheBlasphemer on 06-22-2005 at 12:48 PM

Right, now before replying, I don't want no "ATI is better because it has had better results in the past", or the like about nVidia.
I'm planning to buy a new Videocard, and I want to know which is best.
I did prefer ATI in the past, but the drivers have really spoiled that for me ;)
Do anyway, unbiased, what video card is best?
And is it worth it spending mucho extra money on a PCIe mobo?
I currently have AGP 8x.
I don't really have a limit on how much to spend, but I'm not willing to spend 200E extra for a 5% performance boost ;)

Thanks,
TB

RE: nVidia or ATI? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-22-2005 at 01:16 PM

OK

ATI HAS very trouble some drivers and they are old technologies

Nvidia tends to have less driver problems and the newer cards are killers

the X0000 series is a revamp of the 9xxx series with no tech improvements what so ever

the NV 6xxx series is a new card entirely built from the ground up with Cinefx 3.0 and Shader model 3.0 which means objects can be free moving instead of having to move the same way as everything else

SM3.0 is like a free shader model which allows more to be done with less coding

ATI drivers have problems in opengl ALOT!, and there are more problems occuring everyday

Nvidia drivers tend to work with newer games without having to update them, where as ati usually needs  a new set to be able to play the game

now this is the most unbiased i could be, coz ati is just crap in my view

BUY AMERICAN, NOT CANADIAN

no offense to the canadians here

RE: nVidia or ATI? by RaceProUK on 06-22-2005 at 01:46 PM

* RaceProUK goes to find suitable articles on Tom's Hardware Guide...

AGP cards: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

PCI-Express cards: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041222/index.html

The new NVidia 7800GTX: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050621/index.html

RE: nVidia or ATI? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-22-2005 at 01:55 PM

um actually i wouldn't go by what toms hardware sez

there was a big problem just recently coz he is apparently being bribed to give good review.. not that i believe it, but still, having a range of articles is good

if you want a real article on the cards, visit guru3d.com and look up its articles sections

over there you can be sure that its not a biased review in anyway

RE: nVidia or ATI? by surfichris on 06-22-2005 at 02:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by squall_leonhart69r
they are old technologies
What the hell? In terms of performance the X800 etc series of ATI video cards perform and in some cases even out perform the Nvidia cards. The reviews speak for themselves.
quote:
the X0000 series is a revamp of the 9xxx series with no tech improvements what so ever
What the hell once again? More pipelines perhaps? Higher clock speeds? Better image rendering?
quote:
ATI drivers have problems in opengl ALOT!, and there are more problems occuring everyday
I've used quite a few ATI video cards in my time and I've never had any problems like that.
quote:
Nvidia drivers tend to work with newer games without having to update them, where as ati usually needs  a new set to be able to play the game
That's just crap too - I had to update the drivers of my Nvidia 6800gt the other day to play BF2 and Half-life2 - didn't have to do it on laptop with ATI video card.

Now, different cards will perform different on different games. Alot of games these days are optimised for certain cards (such as GTA: SA is now sponsored by Nvidia and is optimised for it more than ATI cards). If you ask me it somewhat comes down to the games you intend to play.

Oh, squall, before you call me bias - I am pretty much an Nvidia "fan boy". I just call things how they are.
RE: nVidia or ATI? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-22-2005 at 02:29 PM

depends what drivers you were using in the first place

if you aren't using atleast 67.03 then your behind in nvidia drivers

and if your not using cats 5.6 then you'll have troubles with some of the newer games

and i know that ATI are beating nvidia in games THAT ARE CODED FOR ATI

ETC
3dMARK03/05
Half Life 2

where as games such as Doom3 (opengl title) run much better on nvidia hardware due to nvidia cards having more more extensive stencil buffer support

you know it took 3 new releases before ATI was able to get doom 3's selective AA working properly

im not against ATI, im just pointing out they have problems

nvidia also has problems, its just usually far less,

also

Nvidia are running on lower clock speeds still. and are giving ati a run for thier money

i shall sit and wait for the 7800 Ultra to come out though

nvidia plan to release it after the R520 so they can smash it to bits

bout time nvidia had a plan

oh and chris

try running Farcry in HDR on ati hardware :D won't happen :D sm3.0 is a requirement :D

the x8000 is nothing but a revamp of old products.

if you wish to buy ati wait for the r5xx series :) and atleast catalyst 5.8's

and DO NOT GET THE CATALYST CONTROL CENTRE

its does more worse then it does good and it requires .Net Framework 1.1 which it is very buggy on

most people have stated running CCC on .net framework 2.0 beta to be more stable and quicker

just a warning is all

RE: nVidia or ATI? by paperless on 06-22-2005 at 02:37 PM

This battle is useless.... they are both great and have equivalente graphic cards..
Each person prefers one or other.

RE: nVidia or ATI? by RaceProUK on 06-22-2005 at 02:39 PM

The battle is useless. That's why I posted the links to THG. And since THG uses benchmarking programs and game demos to measure and compare performance, how can the results be anything other than fair?

The bold text is aimed at squall_leonhart69r.

Edit: Please don't start an argument squall, it won't help TB make a decision.

However, if you do wish to carry on, at least link us to relevant news articles.
RE: nVidia or ATI? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-22-2005 at 02:47 PM

im not arguing im just saying, check up with someone bigger then toms hardware, you should never base your buy on one review alone, and should check out several,

but if i must, i will find where i read it, just dunno if i can coz toms hardware apparently sued becoz of the statement, they backed down after someone bigger backed up the people making the statement

for now

heres nvnews preview of the 7800GTX
http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_7800_gtx/index.shtml

and theres a review preparing to be released on guru3d and i'll post that after

RE: nVidia or ATI? by paperless on 06-22-2005 at 02:50 PM

Hum.. no limit... hum... nVidia 6800GT then... its not thaaaat expensive and is very nice.

RE: nVidia or ATI? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-22-2005 at 02:54 PM

:D Go PCI-E its more future proofed and then you can buy a 7800GTX  or ultra when its released :D

:D killer cards

HDR Lighting makes the new splinter cell game look heaps kool :P

RE: nVidia or ATI? by TheBlasphemer on 06-22-2005 at 02:57 PM

quote:
:D Go PCI-E its more future proofed and then you can buy a 7800GTX  or ultra when its released :D

Yeah! go Pci-express, spend 500 extra bucks on a new mobo and a new CPU, while you could've bought a similar card on AGP :P

Hmmmmz, what do you guys think of the 6800 Ultra 256mb?
It's got 2xDVI (that's what convinced me, I've got two LCD's :P)
And I can get it from different suppliers,
Is there a difference between XFX, Aopen, Asus, and MSI ?
and if the prices would be fairly equal, which would be the best pick ?

Oh and which one will have a more silent cooler ;)?
RE: nVidia or ATI? by user27089 on 06-22-2005 at 03:19 PM

quote:
now this is the most unbiased i could be, coz ati is just crap in my view

That sentence there simply contradicts yourself 100%.

Okay, I would go for ATi, I have used ATi Radeons & NVidia cards, and I've always noticed several differences in them both, my mate has an nVidia GeForce 6xxx and it is really good (256Mb) & and another has an ATi Radeon 128Mb, and tbfh, there is no major difference between the two, they both run perfectly fine, at pretty much the same rate...

In my experience of "gaming" I've always found ATi to be my preferred make of graphics card, most of my computers actually contain an ATi because of this...

ATi seems to run lighter games better than some of the really dark games, like Doom 3.

But not too many games are that dark, so this aspect doesn't really come to this...
RE: nVidia or ATI? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-22-2005 at 03:28 PM

XFX and Asus is the best manufacturer in that selection

not sure about fan noise, but im pretty sure XFX its quiet

and to what chris said

where is nvidia getting beaten by ati?

they seem to be neck and neck from these benchmarks

yet again in sli mode they pull ahead

still some pretty decent scores on the 7800GTX
http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=na...mforum%3Djellemees

RE: nVidia or ATI? by YottabyteWizard on 06-22-2005 at 03:40 PM

I say... go for Nvidia, i know about all the problems leonheart said.... besides, 100% Nvidia fan here :D

NVIDIA: LONG LIVE THE KING (Y)

RE: nVidia or ATI? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-22-2005 at 03:57 PM

GO 3DFX
(since 3dfx is now owned by nvidia i support them thoroughly)

3DFX OVER ATI ANYDAY :D

:D
glad someone else keeps up to date on the latest ATI stuffups

RE: nVidia or ATI? by RaceProUK on 06-22-2005 at 04:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
Yeah! go Pci-express, spend 500 extra bucks on a new mobo and a new CPU, while you could've bought a similar card on AGP :P
Remember: PCI-Express shows significantly higher performance when compared to even the fastest AGP.
RE: nVidia or ATI? by brian on 06-22-2005 at 04:43 PM

TB, I would suggest buying a 6800GT (Waaay cheaper!), and overclocking it into Ultra speeds, alot of people had done that (Yes, the 6800GT does have two DVI slots and 256MB of memory).

RE: nVidia or ATI? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-22-2005 at 05:04 PM

doesn't mean zot brian

it would have to have memory with the same latency as the 6800ultras memory has otherwise you'd fail at it

WTF

no it doesn't raceprouk, where the heck you getting this from

PCI-E and AGP are still neck and neck, heck the agp slot isn't even saturated yet

you really haven't seen the comparison benchies have you?

i'll search one up for you

part 1
http://www.ngohq.com/showthread.php?p=7515#post7515

part 2
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/143/9/

technically. the currrent video cards, are still not using the full agp bus, and since this is the case, pci-e will not be any faster for some time

by the time the G80 is released things should be different though

RE: nVidia or ATI? by RaceProUK on 06-22-2005 at 09:14 PM

quote:
no it doesn't raceprouk, where the heck you getting this from
The Tom's Hardware Guide links I posted earlier. Anyway, what's the point in PCI-Express if it isn't faster than AGP (which must be close to or at it's limit, or why make PCI-Express?).
RE: nVidia or ATI? by brian on 06-23-2005 at 12:24 AM

Because it's faster, new technologies, SLI.

RE: nVidia or ATI? by Tandy on 06-23-2005 at 01:28 AM

Personally, i am about to buy a new computer and i am going to wait on the graphics card because they are about to go down in price by a LOT, so i would wait, then decide on which one you want....Best thing to do is read the reviews on major sites.

Tandy

RE: nVidia or ATI? by FrozernFire on 06-23-2005 at 01:51 AM

the  nVidia 6800s are going to fall in prices since the 7800s are arriving

RE: nVidia or ATI? by kao on 06-23-2005 at 02:18 PM

i've always used nvidia's, and never wanted an ATI, because of the problems my friend had with about 4 radeons (driver problems), they're both good at making cards but because of the driver problems my friend had i've always been against ati

RE: nVidia or ATI? by lizard.boy on 06-23-2005 at 02:54 PM

i find the drivers for my dads radion 9200pro suck balls. I find nvidia's are much better (i have an fx5700le)

RE: RE: nVidia or ATI? by Garndell on 06-24-2005 at 04:44 AM

My advice.... buy a nice little Athlon64 or *shudders* a P4 and a nForce4 SLI Motherboard.  Then just get a GeForce 6600GT (or 2 for 6800U performance roughly) and if you got P4 you'll need DDR2 Memory too.

Basically:

Athlon64 2800/3000/3200
nForce4 SLI Motherboard (ASUS, DFI, MSI & ABIT reccomended)
GeForce 6600GT (or 2)
Use existing PC3200 (400MHz) DDR
Maybe a better PSU, something like 450W

or the AGP Route:

X800 256MB or 6800GT 256MB

Try to avoid X300, X600, 6200, 6200TC, 6600 (standard) and the 6800 (standard) as you can get better performance from an alternative.

The only things PCI-Express brings performance wise is SLI (Crossfire) & the fact that the top spec cards aren't available in AGP formats.  They do provide more available bandwidth but modern day games just don't need it, yet.

RE: nVidia or ATI? by Tandy on 06-24-2005 at 04:53 AM

hey that's sorta what i wanna get

Athlon 64 3400+
i was gonna go Nforce 3, but is 4 better?
Geforce 6600GT/6800 Ultra (when they come down in price)
Case with 350W psu, is that enough?
512mb DDR400

Tandy

RE: nVidia or ATI? by Hank on 06-24-2005 at 05:54 AM

i got a ATI Radeon x700   an works well, .. i'll never touch an nvidia till i hear promising good reports bout them,

RE: nVidia or ATI? by saralk on 06-24-2005 at 09:28 AM

I think it depends on what games you are gonig to play. I have a copy of PCFormat where they did a huge supertest of loads of different graphics cards, and then put a file with detailed tests results on the cover dvd, if i find the CD i will post that excel file.

It basically shows that in some areas ATi beats nVidia, and in others nVidia beats ATi.

RE: nVidia or ATI? by CookieRevised on 06-24-2005 at 09:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
quote:

Indeed. I wouldn't recommend PCIe at all for now, unless you won the lottery so to speak, or always want the latest from the latest. "Performance vs. money"-wise it isn't worth a penny IMO.

You're far better of waiting a few more years until the BTX form factor is widely spread and becomes a bit cheaper and then upgrade to that (instead of now spending $500 extra on new mobo and cpu just for the PCIe, and within two years again spending +$1000 on new PC with BTX layout)

For more about PCIe see this excellent article:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1087

----

As for ATI vs nVidea, I believe the choice is simply personal. I've used both and both are excellent manufactures and it will only come down to money vs. what you get for that money. So I think the best thing to do is to fix the amount of money you want to spend and and then search for cards for that money from both manufactures and then start comparing the features, not vice versa...

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
It basically shows that in some areas ATi beats nVidia, and in others nVidia beats ATi.
I couldn't say it any better...

;)
RE: nVidia or ATI? by Garndell on 06-24-2005 at 09:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tandy
hey that's sorta what i wanna get

Athlon 64 3400+
i was gonna go Nforce 3, but is 4 better?
Geforce 6600GT/6800 Ultra (when they come down in price)
Case with 350W psu, is that enough?
512mb DDR400

Tandy

You will want to look at a 400W PSU at least for the 6800 Ultra.  nForce4 has PCI-Express, SATA-II (which has NCQ for added performance on supported drives) and compatability with Dual Core Athlon64's too.  The KT800 (AGP) & KT890 (PCI-Express) are very good chipsets, while not having the features of the nForce 4 they perform just as good.

If you can get Dual Chanel Memory as it will double the Memory Bandwidth from 3.2 GB/s to 6.4 GB/s.

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
i got a ATI Radeon x700   an works well, .. i'll never touch an nvidia till i hear promising good reports bout them

Yes, the X700 Pro is a good card, the replacement for the sub standard X600, just a shame ATI couldn't put the X700XT into production.

Consider this a good report for nVidia's 6xxx series.  I use a 6600GT & a 6800GT with no problems at all, unlike my X800 which never has played nicely.  I'm a PC Engineer by trade and right now nVidia would get my vote and will hopefully reclaim second place in the Graphics chipset market (Intel are in 1st place :O).
RE: nVidia or ATI? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-24-2005 at 11:13 AM

its users preference in the end

i prefer nvidia, but ati is good as well

although if you read a just released news post

ati's crossfire has just been outdone again,

Nvidia have just created Bridgeless SLI which means all of the 6xxx series can now use SLI just by having 2 cards in the sli mobo

that includes

6600nu, and the 6200, which don't have the connectors for the sli bridge connecter

yet ati's crossfire is still waiting to be found and is not available at all

RE: nVidia or ATI? by YottabyteWizard on 06-24-2005 at 02:29 PM

I just saw tech features and images of the GeForce 7xxx series. OMG. Nvidia RLZ. (BTW, are they still going to produce AGP video cards?.. no PCIe here...)

RE: nVidia or ATI? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-24-2005 at 02:40 PM

nvidia won't give any information out on unreleased cards, so we don't know if an agp model is in the works

using the bridgechip its very much possible though :)

RE: nVidia or ATI? by RaceProUK on 06-24-2005 at 04:51 PM

From what I've read, NVidia aren't doing an AGP version of the 7800, only PCI-Express. However, as there's still a large number of AGP mobos in use, I expect at least one of the lesser models in the 7xxx range to be AGP.

RE: nVidia or ATI? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-24-2005 at 05:10 PM

don't believe what you've read dude,

Nvidia have said it themselves they it could possible happen but no plans are laid out yet

they say so in this faq

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7800_faq.html