Shoutbox

i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing (/showthread.php?tid=46700)

i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by TheMusicPirate on 06-22-2005 at 07:46 PM

is there a way that i can install it without having to burn the image to a cd?

RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by Dempsey on 06-22-2005 at 07:50 PM

AFIAK I know, No there isnt, youy have to burn it to CD before you can install it.

RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by Millenium_edition on 06-22-2005 at 07:51 PM

if you have a spare drive which you can boot from (like a second hard drive), extract the iso data on that drive and then boot from there (bios settings...)

RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by crazihouse on 06-22-2005 at 07:52 PM

Hmm... without burning it to a CD?

I don't see how that would be feasable. The only thing you can install without having to burn to a CD would be software or games, because you are using an image mounter (ex: Daemon Tools) to load the image as a virtual drive.

In this case, when you install an OS, you are not in any sort of environment that can load a program and tell the OS to open the CD since you are in the BIOS and all most of the time during installs of OSes.

On the other hand, I can't help but ignore the fact that what you said does ring a bell somewhere in my head lol. I don't remember for what, but it reminds me of someone who asked a question similar to yours, I think hehe.

I hope I was a bit of help to you. Is there anyone else who would know a solution to this?

RE: RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by TheMusicPirate on 06-22-2005 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
if you have a spare drive which you can boot from (like a second hard drive), extract the iso data on that drive and then boot from there (bios settings...)

can i burn mutiple version of linux and choose which to install?

i downloaded these:

Damn Small Linux
Ubuntu

EDIT: how can i burn multiple images to a dvd?

in alcohol 120% i can only burn 1 image per cd/dvd
RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by user27089 on 06-22-2005 at 08:58 PM

I don't think there is a way to be able to install both without using a virtual machine or multiple hard-drives.

As for the whole burning to disk thing...

go to the ubuntu website, and order some... I have like 200 lying around the house in a box, it's free.

RE: RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by TheMusicPirate on 06-22-2005 at 09:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition

would it work with partitions?
RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by King For A Day on 06-22-2005 at 09:18 PM

i just orderd a 110 of these on cd for no real reason you could have one if thet came

RE: RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by TheMusicPirate on 06-22-2005 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by King For A Day
i just orderd a 110 of these on cd for no real reason you could have one if thet came

i orderd 10 for my self, but i might order more when i get the first 10.
RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by paperless on 06-22-2005 at 10:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I don't think there is a way to be able to install both without using a virtual machine or multiple hard-drives.

As for the whole burning to disk thing...

go to the ubuntu website, and order some... I have like 200 lying around the house in a box, it's free.

Lol i ordered 15 how much time did they take to arrive?
RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by user27089 on 06-22-2005 at 10:08 PM

I ordered them 2-3 Months ago, they've came in a big box, I showed John Anderton on webcam...

I may order some more, just to spite the people who send them for free :lol:...

I only got two AMD Athlon versions though :dodgy:.

I just ordered another 86 :lol:. They're so silly.

RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by Dempsey on 06-22-2005 at 10:11 PM

i got a few of those, but because i need them, not just to waste an open-source communities donated money ¬_¬

RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by user27089 on 06-22-2005 at 10:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
i got a few of those, but because i need them, not just to waste an open-source communities donated money ¬_¬

I doubt I'll keep them all for myself, I'll probably take this box to school tomorrow and give them to people, it says, have as many as you want to share them, that's probably what I'm going to do ;).

Knowing me, I'll find a use for them :p.
RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by Dempsey on 06-22-2005 at 10:16 PM

frisbe them out your window, thats fun, i do that with free ISP cds.

quote:
You should use your judgment and limit yourself to a reasonable number of CDs for yourself and to give to your friends and coworkers. If you order a large number of CDs, you will be automatically contacted by Canonical staff to confirm who will ask about how you intend to use the CDs and to confirm the order.

The system will prohibit you from placing orders that are extremely large or that include what we think is a disproportionate number of AMD64 or PowerPC CDs. These orders can be placed by hand by Canonical staff. If you are stopped from placing an order by shipit, please:

I wonder how many is reasonable?
RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by user27089 on 06-22-2005 at 10:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey

I wonder how many is reasonable?

I would say around 200-300.
RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by paperless on 06-22-2005 at 10:25 PM

quote:
I ordered them 2-3 Months ago
No, i mean how much time did it take since you ordered it trough the net to arrive home?
RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by user27089 on 06-22-2005 at 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
quote:
I ordered them 2-3 Months ago
No, i mean how much time did it take since you ordered it trough the net to arrive home?

2-3 Months :S...
RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by [MR] on 06-22-2005 at 10:37 PM

i ordered one linux cd and ive been waiting for 1 or 2 weeks ...they take too long to get here

RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by user2319 on 06-23-2005 at 06:03 PM

MR_5_MR, that's probably because there are some who order 200-300. There's no way you'll need 200-300 unless you're going to hand them out at a conference or something.

I know that it's possible to mount ISOs with software, but I doubt it'll work for the installation of an OS. You can't burn multiple on one CD/DVD because the CD/DVD needs to be bootable (you must be able to launch a program from it while booting). This isn't possible by just using 2 ISOs on the same CD/DVD AFAIK.

RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by lizard.boy on 06-24-2005 at 02:54 AM

i ordered 22 (x86 + 1 x64 + 1 PPC) in like feb/march. they just got to me this week and i've already given away 10 :)

RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by Stigmata on 06-24-2005 at 06:39 AM

quote:

create a partion ;)

in the install, ubuntu will prompt you to create a partion, u just need to  say how big and yes :)

unless doing it in vm or other type of emulator, you will need the cd.
i recommend ordering pressed cd's:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/shipit/link_view

however, these may take a while to arrive.

RE: i downloaded ubuntu linux....need help installing by Jhrono on 06-24-2005 at 11:41 AM

I orded 5...why do you abuse their system?they don't swim on money i guess, they arent microsoft,microsoft does swim on money and microsoft gets 99€ per windows xp home :cry: