Shoutbox

Why does this addon make my Messenger slower? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Why does this addon make my Messenger slower? (/showthread.php?tid=46869)

Why does this addon make my Messenger slower? by Dollarius on 06-26-2005 at 10:47 AM

Hi there.
I'm new on this forum, and I'm trying this fantastic addon for my msn messenger from about 2 days.
From the installation of messenger Plus, I've noticed that my messenger starts slower.
E.g. when my computer and msn messenger starts, he connects to msn network and in about 4 seconds is connected. Then I try to open messenger main window, to chat with my contacts, the window opens but it remains totally white, without contacts in for about 2 minutes. After this 2 minutes, it'll unblock and notice me which contacts are online and I can chat with them.
I'm sure before the installation of the plus addon it doesn't happen, so when I clicked on the messenger icon it opened faster and I could immediately chat with my contacts...

What it depends on?

Please help me, 'cause I love new wonderful features of Plus, but if has this effect on my pc, I'll forced to disinstall it....
HEEEEEELP

Thx :)

RE: ::::HELP:::: Why THis AddOn Make Slower My Messenger? by mwe99 on 06-26-2005 at 11:25 AM

You could try to disable it at startup

Plus > Preferences > General Options > Miscelleanous > Messenger Attach Mode > Alternative Mode

RE: ::::HELP:::: Why THis AddOn Make Slower My Messenger? by absorbation on 06-26-2005 at 12:19 PM

Try reinstalling to it may help or try what mwe99 said ;)

RE: ::::HELP:::: Why THis AddOn Make Slower My Messenger? by Dollarius on 06-26-2005 at 12:40 PM

Thanks 4 your replys, but I tryed reinstalling it 2 times....without changes...
About disabling it at startup.....I think it is useless, cause if I had it, I would use it....
However the problem is not about the windows startup, cause if I disable it from autorunning, when I go to start it, it employs the same time.....
It's very strange...

RE: ::::HELP:::: Why THis AddOn Make Slower My Messenger? by absorbation on 06-26-2005 at 12:46 PM

Yeh it's is but messenger plus! can go into certain modes for certain computer specs etc :P

Do hwat mwe99 said and report back ;) or try another mode listed there :p

RE: ::::HELP:::: Why THis AddOn Make Slower My Messenger? by Zephyr on 06-26-2005 at 04:27 PM

Dollarius: Try running plus without any plugins.

Plus> Preferences> Plugins> Uncheck allow Messenger Plus! to load plugins in my account.

Then restart MSN Messenger and see if you get the same problem.

RE: ::::HELP:::: Why THis AddOn Make Slower My Messenger? by Choli on 06-26-2005 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
You could try to disable it at startup

Plus > Preferences > General Options > Miscelleanous > Messenger Attach Mode > Alternative Mode
that doesn't disable plus. it just changes the way plus is attached to messenger.

quote:
Originally posted by Dollarius
From the installation of messenger Plus, I've noticed that my messenger starts slower
are you using any plugin for plus? or any other add-on for messeger?

does the same happen if you configure messenger not to start at the start up of windows and you start messenger once the system has completly booted?
RE: ::::HELP:::: Why THis AddOn Make Slower My Messenger? by mwe99 on 06-26-2005 at 04:34 PM

Are you using the latest version of Plus! (3.54) and MSN Messenger (7.0.813)

RE: ::::HELP:::: Why THis AddOn Make Slower My Messenger? by trini on 06-26-2005 at 07:26 PM

Never had this problem 8-)
What's your op. system and how much RAM do you have?

RE: Why does this addon make my Messenger slower? by Dollarius on 06-27-2005 at 11:20 AM

Thanks for all your replyes!
I've Tryed all your advices, but the result is the same.
My msn Messenger version is   7.0.0813
My Messenger Plus version is the latest, cause I've downloaded it from the official site 3 days ago.
I don't have any other addon or plugin installed...
Now I noticed that if I uninstall messenger plus, messenger starts in the same way. If I open it when it is connected, the main page remain white for 2 minutes......after that, It unbloks......
I'm very sure that before I installed this addon, It didn't happen..
I tryed to reinstall msn messenger, but it's the same. When reinstalling, I've chosen the repair mode, cause I'm worried if I unistall it completely, all my contacts, message history, emoticons and lots more 'll be lost...
What can I do....I want to use Messenger Plus, but it's important that my messenger works fast!
My pc is a pentium 4 with a 3.06 Mhz processor, 1Gb of Ram....
Please hlep if you can

RE: Why does this addon make my Messenger slower? by trini on 06-27-2005 at 11:29 AM

All emoticons/displaypictures are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\[User]\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger so you will not lose them when you remove/reinstall messenger. And your contacts are stored on msn server.

RE: Why does this addon make my Messenger slower? by CookieRevised on 06-27-2005 at 12:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dollarius
Now I noticed that if I uninstall messenger plus, messenger starts in the same way. If I open it when it is connected, the main page remain white for 2 minutes......after that, It unbloks......
Then it has nothing to do with Messenger Plus!. MsgPlus! doesn't change a thing in the MSN Messenger settings, it doesn't touch anything at all. If you have the same problems, even afetr uninstalling Messenger Plus!, then it is not a Messenger Plus! issue (unlike some other addons for msn messenger, which do alter stuff of msn messenger permanently).
RE: Why does this addon make my Messenger slower? by absorbation on 06-27-2005 at 02:59 PM

This may seem odd but check your firewall settings becuase i blocked it once and it took forever to load :S it's worth a try have you reinstalled msn messenger not just messenger plus?

It's worth a try but i think cookie is on the right lines :P

Just check your ifrewall setting ebcuase it happened to me ;)

RE: Why does this addon make my Messenger slower? by CookieRevised on 06-27-2005 at 04:05 PM

Indeed...

It could be a too strict rule in your firewall settings which is a leftover of previous msn messenger versions. The current version uses some more/other connections and these need to be allowed too in your firewall. (note: check _all_ your firewalls you might have, this includes the windows xp firewall and any other software firewall like the ones from Norton Internet Security stuff). So...
1) close MSN Messenger completely
2) delete the rule(s) you have in your firewall(s)
3) restart MSN Messenger
4) and when the firewall pops up again and asks you if it can permit msn messenger to make connections, confirm it...

-------------

Another cause can be that there is something screwed up in the directory setting of your recieved files for MSN Messenger (by default this is "my documents\My Received Files") or the directory of you msn messenger logs. Check them both to were you've set them in the msn messenger settings. Then, rename those directories or delete them all together en restart MSN Messenger...

-------------

Or, but this is only a remote chance, the MSN server which you are using has some serious trouble with your account (it's possible, happened before). The reset this, you need to go to your registry (Start > Run > regedit ) to the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger. There you'll find a key value named Server. Double click it and clear the contents. After this try to restart MSN Messenger again.

-------------

It could also be a cache problem of the saved display pictures from your contacts. To reset those, clear your Microsoft Internet Explorer's cache.

-------------

Or it could be a cache problem of your smileys, DP's, winks, and other local stuff. To reset those (read: clear those) you need to delete the application data directory of MSN Messenger. This directory can be found in your documents and settings directory under your windows login: useually something like C:\Documents and Settings\yourwindowsaccount\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\

RE: Why does this addon make my Messenger slower? by Rik on 06-27-2005 at 05:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Or it could be a cache problem of your smileys, DP's, winks, and other local stuff. To reset those (read: clear those) you need to delete the application data directory of MSN Messenger. This directory can be found in your documents and settings directory under your windows login: useually something like C:\Documents and Settings\yourwindowsaccount\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\
:| thanks Cookie!!!!
i was sick of this problem!!!
to many smiles:p
RE: Why does this addon make my Messenger slower? by Zephyr on 06-27-2005 at 06:23 PM

I would also recommend trying http://www.msnfanatic.com/articles/list-cache-deleter-265.html

It cleans your list cache, so might stop the problem.

RE: Why does this addon make my Messenger slower? by Dollarius on 06-28-2005 at 07:45 PM

OOOOOOOOOOH! Finally! I've get known the problem! :D
My problem was the same of Absorbation! My firewall slows down the connections between my messenger and the server....
In fact if I disable it, My messenger works very good! (H)
I thought that the problem was messenger plus cause before installing it, my messenger said me that there was an update for it, so I downloaded and istalled it. After I've installed Messenger Plus.
So, now I have another problem....:-#The firewall I use is the mcafee firewall 2005, and it asks me, every time a new program want a connection to the internet, if I want to allow it the full access, or deny it. I tried doing the advice of CookieRevised: I closed messenger, removed from Mcafee firewall the rule that admit it going on the net, and then restarted messenger. I don't know why, but with this program mcafee doesn't ask me if I want to allow it full access, but give it itself. And after that the situation doesn't change.
So now I don't know what to do. Should I free a specific port on my firewall, give it some specially settings....I don't know what to do!
Please help me another time :$