Shoutbox

how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? (/showthread.php?tid=46952)

how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by TheMusicPirate on 06-28-2005 at 12:14 PM

how can i find out if i can install a AGP or a PCI video card?
and how can i tell if i have PCI Express?

RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by saralk on 06-28-2005 at 12:22 PM

Open up the case and look for a brown slot similar to this...

[Image: Motherboard-AGP-Slot.jpg]

if you have one, then you can use AGP cards.

similar story for PCI-Express, but the slot will look like this (I think, someone please confirm)

[Image: pcie_lores_callouts.jpg]

RE: RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by TheMusicPirate on 06-28-2005 at 12:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Open up the case and look for a brown slot similar to this...

[Image: Motherboard-AGP-Slot.jpg]

if you have one, then you can use AGP cards.

similar story for PCI-Express, but the slot will look like this (I think, someone please confirm)

[Image: pcie_lores_callouts.jpg]

i'm not sure i have a the brown slot in the first picture. i opened it ope just to see, andi saw that my fan on my cpu is the size of a cd.
i'll post pictures later.
RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by CookieRevised on 06-28-2005 at 12:58 PM

Simply look it up in your motherboard manual which cards your motherboard supports....

RE: RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by TheMusicPirate on 06-28-2005 at 01:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Simply look it up in your motherboard manual which cards your motherboard supports....

i don't have the manual for the motherboard... i'll just open up the box and see if i have those slots on the motherboard......
RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by Mnjul on 06-28-2005 at 01:04 PM

I suggest you take a picture inside your box...that will help to determine ;)

RE: RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by TheMusicPirate on 06-28-2005 at 01:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
I suggest you take a picture inside your box...that will help to determine ;)

ok i will then :P

EDIT:[b] i can't , my digital camera battery died, i have to charge it.

and i looked inside my computer, and it has 3 white slots
and it has a place where i can add a AGP slot.

i went into my BIOS and it said the video card was on a PCI slot, but it wasn't.
RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by Ezra on 06-28-2005 at 01:42 PM

The white slots are PCI slots, what color is the slot where your videocard is now?

RE: RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by TheMusicPirate on 06-28-2005 at 01:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
The white slots are PCI slots, what color is the slot where your videocard is now?

a small pink square.
RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by CookieRevised on 06-28-2005 at 01:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheMusicPirate
quote:

i don't have the manual for the motherboard...
I actually guessed this already :P Look it up on the internet then... You should always have a manual at hand for stuff like this...

Manuals like this are very important pieces of paper!!! NEVER throw them out. A manual is always included when you buy a motherboard. And when bought your computer at a retail store as a whole package a manual must be included also; iether as a physical book, or iether on your harddisk.

If you still don't have the manual (or the store kepper refuses to give you one; in that case kick his but and go to another shop), you can always download the manual from the motherboard manufacture's site...

quote:
white slots can still mean anything. But these days, it usually are PCI slots...

quote:

This should be a brown slot.

quote:
i went into my BIOS and it said the video card was on a PCI slot, but it wasn't.
if your BIOS says it is, then it is on a PCI slot. Your BIOS never lies (otherwise your mobo/graphics card wouldn't function anyways)

quote:
quote:

a small pink square.
hu? O.O .... slots are never "square"...

RE: RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by TheMusicPirate on 06-28-2005 at 01:47 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

i don't have the manual for the motherboard...
I actually guessed this already :P Look it up on the internet then... You should always have a manual at hand for stuff like this...

Manuals like this are very important pieces of paper!!! NEVER throw them out. A manual is always included when you buy a motherboard. And when bought your computer at a retail store as a whole package a manual must be included also; iether as a physical book, or iether on your harddisk.

If you still don't have the manual (or the store kepper refuses to give you one; in that case kick his but and go to another shop), you can always download the manual from the motherboard manufacture's site...

quote:
white slots can still mean anything. But these days, it usually are PCI slots...

quote:

This should be a brown slot.

quote:
if your BIOS says it is, then it is on a PCI slot. Your BIOS never lies (otherwise your mobo/graphics card wouldn't function anyways)

quote:
quote:

a small pink square.
hu? O.O .... slots are never "square"...

my computer came with winxp home per installed, i bouth it refurbished from bestbuy. my mobo is a Asus
RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by CookieRevised on 06-28-2005 at 01:56 PM

quote:
my computer came with winxp home per installed
Doesn't mean a thing. Stores (online or not) should still provide the manual either as a seperate manual or CDROM or either as a PDF file or something on your harddisk... Always ask them about this before you buy anything...

(note: you don't buy any other electrical appliance from any store without the proper manual either. This is commonly accepted and people would find it strange if there isn't a manual provided...... Why is it that with PC's people apparently don't find it strange that a proper manual isn't provided, or even don't ask about it????)

quote:
my mobo is a Asus
That's just the brand name, it doesn't say a thing about your motherboard (well appart that it is from Asus)

----------

To find out what motherboard you have (not only the brand name):
go to http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1
and download EVEREST Home Edition (it's free).

After you've installed it, run it. After that you'll see a menu list on the right side. Post the exact value of the Motherboard Name found in the menu Motherboard > Motherboard > Motherboard Properties. That is your full motherboard type. With this you can find the manual on the internet (on Asus' site).

And in that same submenu, under Expansion Slots you'll see if you have an AGP slot or not...

To see more details about the AGP slot go to
Motherboard > Chipset > AGP Properties. The important bit there is "Supported AGP Speeds".

RE: RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by TheMusicPirate on 06-28-2005 at 02:03 PM

quote:
quote:
my computer came with winxp home per installed
Doesn't mean a thing. Stores (online or not) should still provide the manual either as a seperate manual or CDROM or either as a PDF file or something on your harddisk...

quote:
my mobo is a Asus
That's just the brand name, it doesn't say a thing about your motherboard (well appart that it is from Asus)

----------

To find out what motherboard you have (not only the brand name):
go to http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1
and download EVEREST Home Edition (it's free).

After you've installed it, run it. After that you'll see a list on the right site. And post the exact value of the Motherboard Name found in the menu Motherboard > Motherboard > Motherboard Properties.

And in that same submenu, under Expansion Slots you'll see if you have an AGP slot or not...

To see more details about the AGP slot go to
Motherboard > Chipset > AGP Properties. The important bit there is "Supported AGP Speeds".

here is a screenshot of the motherboard info

[Image: motherboard.png]

[Image: chipset2.png]

[Image: chipset1.png]

[Image: display.png]

[Image: display2.png]

[Image: display3.png]

RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by CookieRevised on 06-28-2005 at 02:09 PM

wtf... that must be the first mobo which isn't identified by Everest....
Anyways, I don't see anything about an AGP slot... I do see you have 1 PCIe slot (?)....

Take that screenshot of your mobo anyways :P and see if you can find the motherboard type number somewhere printed on it (usually the biggest text you'll find on the mobo)....

Also, see all the comments (read entire thread) in "Intel Chipsets".

---------

What you also can try instead of Everest is CPU-Z. download it directly from here, unzip it and run CPUZ.EXE... Within the program, check "Mainboard > Manufacturer & Model"

RE: RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by TheMusicPirate on 06-29-2005 at 12:27 AM

quote:
wtf... that must be the first mobo which isn't identified by Everest....
Anyways, I don't see anything about an AGP slot... I do see you have 1 PCIe slot (?)....

Take that screenshot of your mobo anyways :P and see if you can find the motherboard type number somewhere printed on it (usually the biggest text you'll find on the mobo)....

Also, see all the comments (read entire thread) in "Intel Chipsets".

---------

What you also can try instead of Everest is CPU-Z. download it directly from here, unzip it and run CPUZ.EXE... Within the program, check "Mainboard > Manufacturer & Model"

here is the screenshot..
[Image: CPU-Z.png]
RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by CookieRevised on 06-29-2005 at 09:53 AM

Goldfish?????? There is no motherboard from Asus which has "goldfish" as its type number... (this is getting weirder and weirder :P)

btw, I should have said this sooner though, sorry:

If you know it is an Asus motherboard you can also have found the model number of your motherboard by:
1) reading the barcode which is on a sticker on your motherboard
2) reading the big number which is on your motherboard (like I said earlier)
3) reading what the BIOS POST screen says.

see here.

RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-29-2005 at 10:38 AM

its not the first :P, john andertons doesn't either, im still searching for the barcode number online

i'll do a google search of the mobo id number,

and it has built in video, using a Intel express graphics chipset, running a grantsdale codenamed gpu

i'll run a search on the asus discontinued products page

EDIT
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocumen...&docname=c00300057

would this be it?
[Image: c00300060.jpg]

Asus did produce the Goldfish2, only it was made especially for computer manufacturers such as compaq and hp

it includes NO AGP
onboard video
3 pci slots

RE: RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by TheMusicPirate on 06-29-2005 at 11:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by squall_leonhart69r
its not the first :P, john andertons doesn't either, im still searching for the barcode number online

i'll do a google search of the mobo id number,

and it has built in video, using a Intel express graphics chipset, running a grantsdale codenamed gpu

EDIT

would this be it?
[Image: c00300060.jpg]

Asus did produce the Goldfish2, only it was made especially for computer manufacturers such as compaq and hp

it includes NO AGP
onboard video
3 pci slots

that is exactlly what my mobo looks like.
RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-29-2005 at 12:22 PM

its an AsusTek board, not Asus,

so when asus name changed so did all relevant information on the board

the board is also know as a Pxxx model, which is why you might now have been able to find it

you can put a PCI 5200 in there, but most video cards are either AGP or PCI-E now so theres not much choice otherwise

unless you update your mobo

RE: RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by CookieRevised on 06-29-2005 at 01:47 PM

quote:
its not the first :P, john andertons doesn't either
John anderton doesn't what?

quote:
im still searching for the barcode number online
barcode numbers (aka serial numbers) will not be found on the net. Only type numbers!

quote:
i'll do a google search of the mobo id number
How can you search for an ID number when TheMusicPirate still hasn't provided one??? This is what this whole discussion is about. The ID number IS ALWAYS printed on the mobo, only TheMusicPirate doesn't know were to look... "Goldfish" is not the ID number, it is a pseudo name for a certain type of mobo, which could well be a whole series of different types of mobo's.

quote:
I already said that and we can see that by his screenshots...

quote:
trust me, you wont find anything about GoldFish on Asus' website itself, I already did the search.

quote:
EDIT

it includes NO AGP
onboard video
3 pci slots

This might be it, but as I said earlier, until he finds the EXACT type number id, you can NOT be sure. Looks can be decieving and different mobo's can look the same.

He needs to look for big written white numbers on his mobo, located usually near the middle or between slots or something. Until he can't find those, you wont know for sure what mobo it is that he has...

EDIT: and don't say I'm wrong, 'cause I already found different versions of the mobo, but they all look exactly the same (that is: the photo they use to represent it, are all the same; yet the specification are different and thus also the type id)

quote:
quote:
would this be it?
that is exactlly what my mobo looks like.
I'm sorry, but how do you know for sure? (eg: where is that ping square connector you've talking about earlier?)

If you are so sure that this is your mobo, then you also had a clear look on it's entire surface and you would have found the mobo type id, I've been asking for from the beginning...

quote:
its an AsusTek board, not Asus
That's the same. The company is still called AsusTek Computing in full. And it also depends on in which country you're in; in some countries the company is called simply Asus...

quote:
you can put a PCI 5200 in there, but most video cards are either AGP or PCI-E now so theres not much choice otherwise
There are still PCI graphics cards widely available! (of course they wont have the specifics of the top-notch graphics cards you can have)

RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-29-2005 at 02:04 PM

i've found countless motherboards using the ID number, its not hard, you just gotta work out how much of the id people actually use when they are after help,

and the pink square connecter is his LPT port,

but its not pink its purple

his video port is underneath the printer port, and he thinks thats what his video card is,

there was only 1 model of mobo which asus released with the goldfish 2 chipset,

the other 2 were goldfish1 and goldfish 3,

and its not hard to compare markings on a motherboard to those of a picture

i've already checked out other manu's and they don't have models of the goldfish 2,

EDIT*
PTGD1-LA  <<thats the mobo model number, see if that helps

RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by CookieRevised on 06-29-2005 at 02:13 PM

quote:
i've found countless motherboards using the ID number, its not hard, you just gotta work out how much of the id people actually use when they are after help,
I said "SERIAL NUMBER", not "type number id". Reread my posts before replying please...

SERIAL NUMBERS can't be found on the net...

quote:
and the pink square connecter is his LPT port,
but its not pink its purple
??????????
1) then why does he say "pink"
2) a graphics card isn't plugged in, in a LPT port. We asked him to look on his mobo where his graphic card was inserted
3) even a sub-D 25 pin plug isn't square, but rectangular.

quote:
and its not hard to compare markings on a motherboard to those of a picture
This is so wrong!!!! And also, as I said, they often use the same picture for the same mobo's, yet, there could be tiny differences...

So unless, he himself, provides us the exact type number id, all we can do is make guesses.
RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-29-2005 at 02:54 PM

the mobo is a GoldFish2

there is only one goldfish 2

NO OTHERS
please can you try and understand this

PTGD1-LA covers all 3 goldfish boards, and they are all customised for either HP or Compaq

the goldfish2 is the one i gave to him, and this is his board, if you have trouble grasping at this then ask him when he posts next,

the Monitor plug is UNDERNEATH THE LPT PORT, which is why i said he thinks its a pink slot, and you can easily mistake pink for purple, anyways i was wrong about that and i know why he says pink, most integrated graphics these days use a pink socket, atleast most of the p4 ones at my school had a pink video socket,

please don't argue with me on this, when it comes to identifying motherboards, i do this on a regular basis, and i haven't been wrong yet,

and to your other question, Everest Home, doesn't tell what john andertons motherboard is, im still scanning on SERIAL NUMBERS, which is what i use to find mobos out when i don't have the model id

RE: RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by CookieRevised on 06-29-2005 at 03:05 PM

quote:
the goldfish2 is the one i gave to him, and this is his board, if you have trouble grasping at this then ask him when he posts next,
I don't have any problems grasping anything. I do have problems with people who come in and start "suggesting" away, while there is still no certainty. I have here a whole bunch of links for the TheMusicPirate and I even phoned (yes! phoned) Asus and HP before you came along, but I'll wait until I'm certain about something before I post something. As I said, it might be the case that this is his board, but why don't you just wait before he gives the type number ID which is on his mobo, before posting anything? And this is also exactly what I asked you about before: "How can you search for an ID when you don't have an ID?" because at that time of posting, the ID number was still not known! And the things I've said about not trusting on pics alone is also general common sense. Also, if TheMusicPirate doesn't know the difference between a graphics card for inside the computer case and a small plug from outside the computer case, then how do you expect that he can answer legitly on "is this your motherboard?" with a vague picture which is also used for other models????

I'm not the one who comes in rushing with all the guessed answers instead of patiently waiting for correct information.

quote:
please don't argue with me on this, when it comes to identifying motherboards, i do this on a regular basis, and i haven't been wrong yet,
I've seen you said this in other threads as well, yet you also say many wrong things... This time your guess can be correct (as I've found also the same info as you BEFORE you posted here...), but in previous arguments, where you also said "I know what I'm talking about", you also have been prooven more then once very wrong. And in this thread there are also some things which you are wrong about.

quote:
and to your other question, Everest Home, doesn't tell what john andertons motherboard is, im still scanning on SERIAL NUMBERS, which is what i use to find mobos out when i don't have the model id
Do you know what a serial number is? This is NOT the type number id of a motherboard and you can not find a product like that by searching on the serial number, unless you have access to every manufacturers private database...
RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-29-2005 at 03:19 PM

its not the type number

the serial number is your own personal number of a motherboard BUT, by using the first few numbers you can normally find the match online, i did this for my AK77 400gn and it pulled up every single problem the board has, (theres a bug in my via chip which locks up any agp transfers when at 8x)

still there is only 1 Goldfish 2 available and when it comes to motherboards, i don't report back untill i've gotten every bit of detail i can, and have all the info needed

but anyways i know what serial numbers are and if you know which numbers to pick in a serial number you can find what your looking for.

ps, i know somethings i've said are wrong, but i usually get the data from supposedly trusted sources, such as ngo admin regeneration

i can only go on the information given to me at the time, but it seems we both have the same problem, that being we both need to be right all the time, which just can't happen

and for a bit of advice, its usually quicker sending asus a tech support email then calling them, they can be pretty slow, not saying they will be, saying they can be.

and for your peace of mind dude, when it comes ti motherboards and video cards and cpus and cooling, i know all about this, how one mistake can wipe out a system, i always get all data i can on a matter before posting my info, its not worth risking someones machine on a bunt,

i know that a wrong flash can result in a dead mobo if they dont have a rescue bios, or wrong drivers can result in BSOD at boot,

im not all that software savvy unless your talking bout windows speed tweaks, and using TES3: Editor,

im also very with the fastest gpu scene and i keep up to date on latest drivers and driver bugs,

anyways

did you hear about intel being sued by amd??? it seems intel have finally been caught out bribing manufacturers to not deal with them, like how long has this been going on... i can remember back.. say... 6-7 yrs intel did it to apple, and via, and even ibm :O

RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by CookieRevised on 06-29-2005 at 03:24 PM

quote:
and for a bit of advice, its usually quicker sending asus a tech support email then calling them, they can be pretty slow, not saying they will be, saying they can be.
Thank you but no thanks... The phone call went strait in, and I got my answer in 2 minutes... much faster then any email could be (and I phone companies like that on a regulary basis and phone support is in 99% cases much much faster), thank you...

RE: how can i found out if i will be able to install a new video card? by squall_leonhart69r on 06-29-2005 at 03:59 PM

well as long as he gets all the right information,

i take helping people seriously

and yes there is times there where i argue just for the sake of it, even when im wrong,

i have ADHD OCD and ODD

which means im as stubborn as hell and seeing as im capricorn, im worse off then the most stubborn mountain goat

anyways, whats the verdict