Shoutbox

This new computer is quite good - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: This new computer is quite good (/showthread.php?tid=47015)

This new computer is quite good by Pipish on 06-29-2005 at 11:34 PM

the new cmputer at our holiday place is well excellent i think ill post the specs see what you think

Machine Model:    iMac G5
  CPU Type:    PowerPC G5  (3.0)
  Number Of CPUs:    1
  CPU Speed:    1.8 GHz
  L2 Cache (per CPU):    512 KB
  Memory:    768 MB
  Bus Speed:    600 MHz
  Ram: 512

The internet is very good its wireless broadbnd but i'm not quite sure how fast

the monitor is The best! great for whatching movies picture is crstal clear

ill postt a picture when i can find it

RE: This new computer is quite good by brian on 06-30-2005 at 03:08 AM

Well, Memory is 268 MB and the RAM is 512 MB, what the difference between the two? 8-)

RE: This new computer is quite good by lizard.boy on 06-30-2005 at 04:30 AM

g5s kick most pc's ass. but not enough people use them because microshaft is running pretty much a monopoly.

RE: This new computer is quite good by crazihouse on 06-30-2005 at 04:31 AM

I think you might have meant 768 instead of 268 (accident) and yeah.... what's that about? lol

Damn you and your new powerful-ass computer :@

RE: This new computer is quite good by Garndell on 07-01-2005 at 08:16 AM

1.8GHz G5 equivalent to a 3.2GHz P4 or a Athlon64 clcked at 2.2GHz.

Question is, how extortionate was the price?

RE: This new computer is quite good by Pipish on 07-01-2005 at 08:39 AM

1,500 Austrlian dollars i think

have a look at htt://www.apple.com

RE: This new computer is quite good by Garndell on 07-01-2005 at 11:14 AM

£899 Inclusive of VAT.
$1299 (US)

for this:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/...try.wo?family=iMac

• 512MB DDR400 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
• 160GB Serial ATA drive
• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
• Keyboard and Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
• 56Kbps Modem
• 17-inch widescreen LCD
• 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
• ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB DDR Video Memory
• AirPort Extreme
• Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

To me, in order to increase Apples market share they would need to put it closer in price to PC's.

Say £749 (UK) & $1050 (US)

That does surprisingly enough still give Apple a Profit on each machine, which does go to show the kind of markup Apple pu on their machines.

Still, it's a pretty nice machine and i'm sure you'll enjoy it greatly.

RE: RE: This new computer is quite good by rav0 on 07-01-2005 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell• 512MB DDR400 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
It says 1 DIMM of RAM, does that mean that a Mac takes the same type of RAM as my 586 computer?
RE: This new computer is quite good by Garndell on 07-01-2005 at 12:23 PM

Similar yes, Macs are very picky withy what RAM they work with.  Best bet is to but some Mac RAM from www.crucial.com  (Cheaper than Apple).

RE: This new computer is quite good by rav0 on 07-01-2005 at 12:29 PM

I don't actually have a Mac, I was asking out of curiosity only. I thought that Macs are much more different. If I but Mac RAM, can I put it in my 586 computer then?

RE: This new computer is quite good by Garndell on 07-01-2005 at 01:45 PM

If your "586" has 184 pin or 200pin (SODIMM) slots and support for 333/400MHz DDR then yes.

RE: This new computer is quite good by mad_onion on 07-01-2005 at 02:14 PM

um actually G5s are not faster really apple made those figures up and now even agree that an equvilant P4 will give the same power. thats why the whole apple range is being changed to use intel x86 architecture. also they have lower power consumption and are smaller (pentium M)
actually this is going to be really big for the pc market i cant believe you havent heard about it already. you will be able to buy a mac and install windows on it. and with a lot more jiggery poxery you will be able to do it the other way round too buy a dell or something and install mac osx on it.

RE: This new computer is quite good by Joe on 07-01-2005 at 02:21 PM

My friend had one... he got bored of it... they're monstrous... he sold it and bought an iBook instead... it's pretty sweet too.. he's an Apple lover.

RE: RE: This new computer is quite good by Garndell on 07-01-2005 at 05:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
um actually G5s are not faster really apple made those figures up and now even agree that an equvilant P4 will give the same power. thats why the whole apple range is being changed to use intel x86 architecture. also they have lower power consumption and are smaller (pentium M)
actually this is going to be really big for the pc market i cant believe you havent heard about it already. you will be able to buy a mac and install windows on it. and with a lot more jiggery poxery you will be able to do it the other way round too buy a dell or something and install mac osx on it.

Yes, you could Install OSX if you circumvent the ID Chip on the Motherboard which i'm sure people will manage.  When you compare a P4 or Athlon64 on XP to a G5 on OSX you aren't getting a fair comparison.  An Athlon64 2800+ can keep up with a 2.5GHz G5 when running under an Optimised Linux Kernel but when you compare them using Windows XP & OSX you have to take into account the added power needed to run the XP system to a similar sped standard.

The Pentium M is a much better CPU than the P4 in my opinion.  Netburst was a mistake and Intel are finally beginning to realise it.  I'd love to see a comparison between a Pentium D 840 Mac & a Dual 2.7GHz G5 Mac, as only that could really tell the difference, apart from the rewritten code to optimise the Intel system.
RE: This new computer is quite good by saralk on 07-01-2005 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
£899 Inclusive of VAT.
$1299 (US)

for this:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/...try.wo?family=iMac

• 512MB DDR400 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
• 160GB Serial ATA drive
• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
• Keyboard and Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
• 56Kbps Modem
• 17-inch widescreen LCD
• 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
• ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB DDR Video Memory
• AirPort Extreme
• Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

To me, in order to increase Apples market share they would need to put it closer in price to PC's.

Say £749 (UK) & $1050 (US)

That does surprisingly enough still give Apple a Profit on each machine, which does go to show the kind of markup Apple pu on their machines.

Still, it's a pretty nice machine and i'm sure you'll enjoy it greatly.

Apple don't benifit from economies of scale as much as wintel manufacturers do. Since the hardware manufacturers can make generic parts for PCs, they become cheaper since they are making more of them, but since they make bespoke parts for Apple, they parts are more expensive and so Apple have increased costs.

RE: This new computer is quite good by Pipish on 07-01-2005 at 11:52 PM

you will be able to buy a mac and install windows on it

Are you serious :| thats what ive always dreamed of :|

so what your saying is i can buy an ibook and put windows on it

RE: This new computer is quite good by mad_onion on 07-02-2005 at 02:40 PM

yeah but you have you wait till they start selling x86 macs which sohuld be about the same time next year so still a long wait. but the ibook will be the first thing to be updated.
and i know how you feel i cant wait it will be so cool but i think i will "buy" mac osx and install it on my pc which is a bit more difficult but im sure it will be possible :)