Shoutbox

iPodSoftware - Preview - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: iPodSoftware - Preview (/showthread.php?tid=47025)

iPodSoftware - Preview by matty on 06-30-2005 at 05:26 AM

Hey everyone, I thought I would let this forum be the first to see the preview images for iPodSoftware (Name subject to change before release).

[Image: attachment.php?pid=487805]

No longer being used but if you want to see what will be available...
[Image: iPodSoftwareScreenShot_1.th.png][Image: iPodSoftwareScreenShot_2.th.png][Image: iPodSoftwareScreenShot_3.th.png][Image: iPodSoftwareScreenShot_4.th.png][Image: iPodSoftwareScreenShot_5.th.png]
Please everyone post your comments.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by marissa on 06-30-2005 at 05:57 AM

looking good matty...adn i was one of the first to know about it! (i think)
you're too talented...be gone <3
edit: now i just need an ipod...buy me one? ;)

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by Joe on 06-30-2005 at 06:15 AM

That looks great Matty... you've got skill.
I'd use it if I had an iPod.

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by Stigmata on 06-30-2005 at 06:32 AM

Well done matty.

thats a good project you have there :)

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by FrozernFire on 06-30-2005 at 06:41 AM

COOL! now i can use my ipod fully :grin: (y) can't wait for the release

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by matty on 06-30-2005 at 07:06 AM

For those who have iPods is there anything else you would like to see in this program?

As well if you would PM me an email where I can send a beta to when I am finished it would be greatly appreciated as I myself don't have an iPod just the knowledge of how they fully work :).

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by user27089 on 06-30-2005 at 07:08 AM

That looks like an amazing piece of software, I will use this when I get my iPod :).

Well and when it is released of course ;).

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by Pipish on 06-30-2005 at 07:25 AM

matty once again you come out with a great piece of software

will it work on shuffles

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by Yousef on 06-30-2005 at 08:43 AM

Looks great! You're going to support other mp3 players as well? I'm going to buy a Zen Touch probably :D.

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by user35870 on 06-30-2005 at 08:52 AM

That looks good matty (Y)

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by FrozernFire on 06-30-2005 at 09:05 AM

contacts - able to create more/personalized sections (eg. home address, office address)
nvm. just looked into the screenshots in detail. seems that you can already do that

notes - split text files into 4kb files (the maximum file size for the notes feature), with links joining one page to the next.

hope this might help you :). i won't go into other suggestions, as those can be found on shareware. i may be able to help you beta test from next week onwards, once my schoolwork goes down :)

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by aNILEator on 06-30-2005 at 11:19 AM

yeah i want to sync thunderbird contacts to my zen micro, infact are there any addons/programs or anything for zen micros?

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by matty on 06-30-2005 at 02:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Juzzi
Looks great! You're going to support other mp3 players as well? I'm going to buy a Zen Touch probably :D.
I had no real intentions of supporting other devices besides the iPod, but I will think about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Pipish
will it work on shuffles
Already does. Heres the thing I need an opinion on. Shuffle's cant view Notes or Contacts but would it still be worthwhile to be able to store them on it? If yes the options will stay enabled, if not then they will be disabled upon a Shuffle being connected.
RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by kierant on 06-30-2005 at 03:29 PM

Sorry for being dumb but what exactly does this piece of software do?

I have done a quick search and not found anything so any descriptions or links would be welcome thanks.

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by Reaper on 06-30-2005 at 03:52 PM

heh thats look great. i defo want beta test it :P

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by matty on 07-01-2005 at 12:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kierant
Sorry for being dumb but what exactly does this piece of software do?

I have done a quick search and not found anything so any descriptions or links would be welcome thanks.
The program allows you to do the following:

• Sync Thunderbird Contacts
  • Sync Outlook Express Contacts
  • Sync Microsoft Outlook Contacts
  • View/Create/Delete Contacts on your iPod
  • View/Create/Delete Notes on your iPod
  • Backup your music to your computer
  • Play music from your iPod through your computer
  • Sync music to your iPod (Not sure if I am going to include this feature or not
  • ------------------------
  • Possibly check iTunes Database of music to see what songs you no longer have on your computer and copy those over when backing up music

Also I do need a logo and an icon if someone would be ever so kind to create one for me :)

Of course you will get the proper recognition in the about section.
RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by Pyroteq on 07-01-2005 at 01:37 AM

Looking good im really going to use this, thanks a lot man

I first used these 2 to "back my music up" from my ipod
Ipod download - got foiled by apple
Ipod Agent- Isnt free anymore

This really solves laot of stuff for me. Thanks :)

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by Tandy on 07-01-2005 at 01:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
For those who have iPods is there anything else you would like to see in this program?

As well if you would PM me an email where I can send a beta to when I am finished it would be greatly appreciated as I myself don't have an iPod just the knowledge of how they fully work :).

is there a way to make it change the font of your ipod?

that would be cool, i know u can do it with some other programs.

Tandy

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by matty on 07-01-2005 at 01:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
RE: iPodSoftware - Preview

Looking good im really going to use this, thanks a lot man

I first used these 2 to "back my music up" from my ipod
Ipod download - got foiled by apple
Ipod Agent- Isnt free anymore

This really solves laot of stuff for me. Thanks 

No problemo. Yeah I am aware of those programs and the way I have coded my software it wont mistake your C Drive for your iPod like iPod Agent does.

And it also beats this.....

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?l...0FS10058599&catid=
RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by mad_onion on 07-01-2005 at 03:21 PM

oh yeah the iPods are even better now they all have colour screens. and they are only $299 thats actually not that bad :)

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by TylerG on 07-02-2005 at 01:19 AM

Looks awesome

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by matty on 07-04-2005 at 03:15 AM

Completed:

• Create/View/Delete Notes on iPod
  • Create/View/Delete Contacts on iPod
  • Backup Music to a specified location
  • Detect when a device is plugged in (no need to plug iPod in first)
  • Read Thundebird Profiles
  • Get Outlook Express Contacts
  • Detect Name/Capacity/Space Available/Serial Number/Type/Drive Letter

To Do List:
  • Catch errors when copying files and display in a log
  • Provide Plugin Support (Possibly)
  • Create Options pane
  • Create/View/Delete Calendar events
  • Read Microsoft Outlook Contacts
  • Read Mozilla Contacts (from selected profile)

Will keep updating post as progress is made.
RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by Dane on 07-04-2005 at 04:37 AM

Progress on this program has been great, I can confirm it works with Shuffles.  Its a very nice and easy to use program, Matty gets A (*) from me!

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by Pyroteq on 07-05-2005 at 02:25 AM

So whens this coming out?

Ill beta test if you need another person to do it..

Windows XP Pro SP2
Firewire port
3rd Gen 20GB Ipod.

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by matty on 07-05-2005 at 09:14 AM

I haven't had a chance to work on it today cause I have been doing home repairs then my friends asked me to go out with them. We end up at a park and my friend is on the playground and rolls over on her ankle. Needless to say hospitals suck and its 5am and I just got home... now its bed time. I dont have a release date and anyone who wants to test it is more then welcome. Just PM me your email. As well I am still looking for someone who can create the logo :).

Thats it for now. Later all, night night

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by King For A Day on 07-05-2005 at 02:37 PM

quote:
I haven't had a chance to work on it today cause I have been doing home repairs then my friends asked me to go out with them. We end up at a park and my friend is on the playground and rolls over on her ankle. Needless to say hospitals suck and its 5am and I just got home... now its bed time. I dont have a release date and anyone who wants to test it is more then welcome. Just PM me your email. As well I am still looking for someone who can create the logo :).

Thats it for now. Later all, night night

we got chucked out of a playpark yesterday. they have started putting comunity officers all over out village for what ever reason, and while we were waiting for my mate girlfriend to get a free period and come and meet us we went to  park, and we are sure this guy followed us all the way from school to the park cause as soon as we got there he apeard and told us we were threatening to all the young kids who wanted to come in even though as we pointed out they are all in school what with being 1.30pm on a monday afternoon.

sorry that just reminded me.

that does look like a realy cool program,
quote:
Originally posted by Tandy

is there a way to make it change the font of your ipod?

yeh there is but it would be pretty hard to do without some sort of special program, there is something that will extract all the images that make up the ipod screen. the words are all on one image so you would have to replace each letter with the new font
AFAIK
also replacing the images means reformatting the ipod.

i dont mind making an logo for you ill give it a go but some more info to what you need will be good

Edit, i have made a logo, but i realy need the ipod font to realy complete it so like i asked in my thread, if anyone has it i do need it for the best results.

and Matty, is ipodsoftware the final name? and is there any more details i can add, as i have also made a sort of advert thingie
RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by King For A Day on 07-05-2005 at 07:06 PM

this is just a general idea it does need some work and i bit more info from you to get it right
the whole thing is seperted in layers so can be edited easily

the mac, gel style writing doesnt look too great on a small scale but i should be able to sort that if you want to use it
this is with a background.
[Image: logo8re.png]

This is without the background its in .png so may look wierd in I.E. with a pink or black outline
[Image: logonobackground6js.png]

also look past the blurring, when shrunk down it doesnt apear blurred like it does now, although if this is a problem it can be sorted and removed

this is more just an extra idea, i saw the origanal on the apple site while i was looking for some ipod pics
[Image: blackheadercopy1dh.png]

and the origanal
[Image: indextop20050628b.jpg]

anyway i know they are still simple and Do need improving so just suggest whatever and ill do my best.

i wont be able to do anything untill thursday after tonights as i am going to see the almighty sum 41 tommorow, so pm if you want anything

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by lordy on 08-07-2005 at 11:34 AM

This looks really awesome! Can't wait till it is released, i'll definately be using it!

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by super-schaf on 08-07-2005 at 11:49 AM

does it work on ipod minis?

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by matty on 08-07-2005 at 01:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by super-schaf
It works on all versions of iPods as far as I know (without being tested yet).

I would like to inform everyone tho that I trashed that version and am working on a different one but the backing up of the songs is already complete I just have the rest of the features to code 8-).
RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by Reaper on 08-07-2005 at 02:01 PM

quote:

I would like to inform everyone tho that I trashed that version and am working on a different one but the backing up of the songs is already complete I just have the rest of the features to code 8-).

no wonder its taking soo long :P

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by lordy on 08-08-2005 at 06:48 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by super-schaf
It works on all versions of iPods as far as I know (without being tested yet).

lol good on ya... cant wait till it's done :) keep us updated
Re: iPodSoftware - Preview by alldaiallnite on 08-08-2005 at 08:41 PM

quote:

i would like to see the ability to upload games, sub-playlists and scrolling through the artist's name if it is too long for the screen like the ipod already does with the song name idk some of these things are possibly but it would be cool to have them
RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by lordy on 08-09-2005 at 04:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alldaiallnite
i would like to see the ability to upload games, sub-playlists and scrolling through the artist's name if it is too long for the screen like the ipod already does with the song name idk some of these things are possibly but it would be cool to have them

a lot of that stuff would have to be in the actual ipod software... on the ipod, if i'm not mistaken? the iPod software is released by apple, so Matty has no control over what goes on there. this program is just like iTunes, lets you upload everything to your ipod etc... correct me if i'm wrong

RE: RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by TylerG on 08-10-2005 at 01:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lordy16
quote:
Originally posted by alldaiallnite

a lot of that stuff would have to be in the actual ipod software... on the ipod, if i'm not mistaken? the iPod software is released by apple, so Matty has no control over what goes on there. this program is just like iTunes, lets you upload everything to your ipod etc... correct me if i'm wrong

He is right, except it does more than iTunes, like you can back up your music on your hardrive, make notes on it, and configure your calender.  I can't wait for it to be finished:D
RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by matty on 08-10-2005 at 06:44 AM

I would like to update you all with the progress and the GUI I am going to be sticking with. (Obviously it needs some graphic help but thats expected at this stage).

Please check out the first post in this thread for a new image of what it looks like.

Oops I forgot to include the progress update.

Completed so far:
Listening for Devices (This is used so that you can plug the iPod in after the program is open and it can still detect them.)
Locking the iPod so that no other program can use it.
Backing up of songs
Creating notes

I still have a lot to do but the bulk of the work is pretty much done.

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by Tandy on 08-10-2005 at 06:49 AM

looks great matty, im gonna use it for sure, would love to test it for ya, if needed

Tandy

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by lordy on 08-28-2005 at 11:48 AM

any sort of progress report for this at all? i'm really looking forward to it! as i use my iPod mini at my mum and my dads place and wuld like to be able to back up music and whatever, but yer REALLY looking forward to it!

RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by matty on 08-28-2005 at 05:45 PM

quote:
any sort of progress report for this at all? i'm really looking forward to it! as i use my iPod mini at my mum and my dads place and wuld like to be able to back up music and whatever, but yer REALLY looking forward to it!
I have been really busy with work and getting ready for school I haven't had a chance to crack open the project yet. But dont worry I added a feature after I posted the one update. Now if you have multiple iPods connected a box will first popup asking you which one you wish to mount in the program. And if you are finished with that one and disconnect it the computer automatically searches for another one and if its still connected will automatically mount that one.
RE: iPodSoftware - Preview by TylerG on 08-28-2005 at 05:54 PM

quote:
quote:
I have been really busy with work and getting ready for school I haven't had a chance to crack open the project yet. But dont worry I added a feature after I posted the one update. Now if you have multiple iPods connected a box will first popup asking you which one you wish to mount in the program. And if you are finished with that one and disconnect it the computer automatically searches for another one and if its still connected will automatically mount that one.
Sounds like a good feature.  Can't wait till the software is out.