Shoutbox

Do you read books ? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Do you read books ? (/showthread.php?tid=47083)

Do you read books ? by Fraisie on 07-01-2005 at 07:16 PM

Do you read books ? I'm not a big reader myself but I started to read Da Vinci Code last wednesday and I can't put it down ! Anybody else read it ?

RE: Do you read books ? by Shezi on 07-01-2005 at 07:17 PM

nah i havent heard of it.. wat does it about...??

RE: Do you read books ? by M73A on 07-01-2005 at 07:19 PM

traxor has read it:P
also there was a thread called 'codes' with things like that i think... it was mentioned *-).....

RE: Do you read books ? by Fraisie on 07-01-2005 at 07:53 PM

The movie will be out sometimes next year if you dont want to read it :P It will be with Tom Hanks, Jean Reno and Audrey Tautou. It's hard to describe what it is about; mostly decrypting codes, and arts in the Musee du Louvres, in Paris. Looks boring when I describe it, but man it is good !

Read nothing else lately ?

RE: Do you read books ? by Eljay on 07-01-2005 at 07:56 PM

i dont really read books, i read magazines and newspapers but not books

ive heard of the da vinci code but havent read it, i might go see the film :P

RE: Do you read books ? by saralk on 07-01-2005 at 07:56 PM

I usually read a few novels at the same time, right now im reading To Kill a Mockingbird (reread), Catcher in the Rye (reread), and a ghost in the shell graphic novel.

i recently finished reading Join Me By Danny Wallace, and Dave Gorman's Googlwhack adventure.

RE: Do you read books ? by Dempsey on 07-01-2005 at 08:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Dave Gorman's Googlwhack adventure.
thats cool, I've got that and 'Are You Dave Gorman?'.

Ive been re-reading my Darren Shan books and I recently read Lord Loss the first book in a new series by the same author.
RE: Do you read books ? by user27089 on 07-01-2005 at 08:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
but I started to read Da Vinci Code last wednesday

I started reading that last week. I only have a few pages left.

It is an amazing book!!!

I read constantly, it's not lame, I have about 3000+ books in my house. I, personally, own around 100 books altogether, but around 30 "mature" books.

My Dad recently brought me: Deception Point & Angels and Demons.
RE: Do you read books ? by SikStyles on 07-01-2005 at 08:07 PM

i should be reading books now but i cant be assed..i've read "The Firm" in my schoolyear tho..didnt finish it :-/

RE: Do you read books ? by Tasha on 07-01-2005 at 08:07 PM

I'm reading The Upstart by Catherine Cookson atm. :happy:

Going to be reading Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince when I get it when it comes out soon. :banana:

RE: Do you read books ? by Rik on 07-01-2005 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shezi
nah i havent heard of it.. wat does it about...??
really!? :|
everybody (or almost) is reading that book or want to read it
i'm thinking of read it too

i'm now reading "As Pupilas do senhor reitor"(the pupils of the professer)
RE: Do you read books ? by Garndell on 07-01-2005 at 08:48 PM

I'm currently reading A Hat Full of Sky, by Terry Pratchett.  Amazingly funny author and prolific too.

Some of the best books i've read are:

G.P. Taylor - Shadowmancer
Robert Harris - Fatherland
William King - Farseer
George Orwell - 1984 & Animal Farm
Tom Clancy - SSN

ps: I can't stand Harry Pottter as Rincewind is a much more likable character :)

RE: Do you read books ? by Millenium_edition on 07-01-2005 at 08:53 PM

i can't believe it how everyone reads books :|
i got tired of HP after finishing half of the third :-/
and i read it because i had to read a book for school, not because of intrest... i wanted to change from the 100-page-long books i usually take...

it is such a waste of time... i prefer doing nothing than reading :|

RE: Do you read books ? by buzz on 07-01-2005 at 09:38 PM

meh i read the davinci code and other dan brown stuff  thought it was just okay, mainy because i dont like what the autor is doing...hes just taking out old stories and rewritting them, alot of people dont realize that and give him all the credit

RE: Do you read books ? by Vazza on 07-01-2005 at 09:47 PM

I've done a olot of readin this year.Thats probably got to do with the fact that it took me 3 and a half years to read The Lord of the Rings (yes that was cover to cover) and starting soon on The Hobbit also the amount of reading that I have to do for my university course. Add to the fact that I am doing a lot of art to (see the link in my sig)...leave me no time to read really.

Books I have read so far are:

Micheal Criton's Timeline (and the film was true to the book)
Mary Hoffman's Stravaganza triology (i think there is another book coming out...not sure)
The Lovely Bones
Some Occuaptional Therapy crap (i.e. stuff for my university course)
All the Harry Potter ones to date (Had order of the phoenix finished in 2 days after its release (a))
Many others that I know I've read, just can't remember them

I'll be away from home when Harry Potter comes out so I'll be about 3 weeks behind everyone else :'(. Also i am in the process of re writting a fanfic series. The end is perfected (i know how the character dies....bit peculuar actually) just need to write the build up to it.

RE: Do you read books ? by evil_panda on 07-01-2005 at 09:58 PM

Traxor has told me that these books are really good, but i myself haven't read any. Im not really a  big reader myself but i have read a few books but mostof them were books that had to be read for school work. I must say the only set of books i have actually read are point blanc and other books by anthony horowitcz (not sure how to spell his name) but i have found these books are really interesting if your into action/thriller.

RE: Do you read books ? by albert on 07-01-2005 at 09:59 PM

Hum.. reading.. ehh.. well most of my reading is on the internet, forums, news, tech stuff.. other than that and school work. i dont read much.. im a person who cannot sit down at one place.. I always gotta be moving, that's probably why I don't like reading..

RE: Do you read books ? by Tasha on 07-01-2005 at 10:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by evil_panda
I must say the only set of books i have actually read are point blanc and other books by anthony horowitcz (not sure how to spell his name) but i have found these books are really interesting if your into action/thriller.

ooo, I've read them, they are really good. :)
The whole set is called the Alex Rider Series, btw. :wink:
RE: Do you read books ? by Stigmata on 07-01-2005 at 10:01 PM

im reading the da vinci code..

havnt picked it up in a whilethough...

RE: Do you read books ? by saralk on 07-01-2005 at 10:03 PM

I love reading, im a great escapist, sometimes when im eating, or just in my room chilling people can be calling my name for ages, and i wont hear because in my mind I have created a world and i am just living in that world. So when I read, I like creating the world within my mind, and seeing how it all happens, so to me, reading is better then watching films or TV because your imagination is free to run wild and you are able to interpret the words in whatever way you feel.

The Harry Potter films annoyed me because my imagination has now been influenced by the film and so when I create the Harry Potter world in my mind's eye, it is influenced by what i see from the Harry Potter films.

RE: Do you read books ? by L. Coyote on 07-01-2005 at 10:06 PM

I used to read a lot, but a few years ago books became kind of expensive due to the devaluation of our money.

I read online now, but I sure miss the feeling of the paper in my hands, turning the pages and reading on my bed. :P

Edit: oh, yeah! Saralk, I do that too. :P I remember reading "The Fun House" at school and not hearing the teacher calling my name (I read in class). I could picture every single detail in my mind (kind of disgusting if I was eating at the same time :p).

RE: Do you read books ? by Plik on 07-01-2005 at 10:07 PM

Im trying to read the Hitch Hikers guide trillogy in five parts :dodgy: but its quite a big book and i dont have much time atm for it.
Ive read a couple of the dan brown books and i have a few other that i need to read. I think i made it about halfway through the Da Vinci code and i got loads of school work and stopped reading it. I've read Digital Fortress and Angels and Demons, both are brillant books.
Ive also read almost all of the alex rider series (antony horowitz) and they are good books aswell imo.
Finally, if your into computers and stuff i recomend reading the cuckoo's egg by Cliff Stoll.

RE: Do you read books ? by Tasha on 07-01-2005 at 10:08 PM

quote:
I love reading, im a great escapist, sometimes when im eating, or just in my room chilling people can be calling my name for ages, and i wont hear because in my mind I have created a world and i am just living in that world. So when I read, I like creating the world within my mind, and seeing how it all happens, so to me, reading is better then watching films or TV because your imagination is free to run wild and you are able to interpret the words in whatever way you feel.

Yeah, thats what it's like for me. I've been known to lie on my bed all day long some days, just reading, I enjoy it so much.

quote:

The Harry Potter films annoyed me because my imagination has now been influenced by the film and so when I create the Harry Potter world in my mind's eye, it is influenced by what i see from the Harry Potter films.

I agree again. A lot of films based on books I have read tend to annoy me, because they shatter the way I imagined everything in the book.

RE: Do you read books ? by Ezra on 07-01-2005 at 10:13 PM

I'm not a big fan of reading, but i'm reading 2001: A space Oddysey right now, and after that I will read the sequels, 2010 and 3001.

RE: Do you read books ? by pollolibredegrasa on 07-01-2005 at 10:23 PM

I used to read books quite often, but I stopped about a year ago. I also have read The Da Vinci Code, and I admit, it was much better than I thought it would be - I was up till 4:00 in the morning reading it before I realised the time :$

Definitely worth a look though..

RE: Do you read books ? by Chestah on 07-01-2005 at 10:52 PM

I've read every single book hes written, they all are really good :D. I'm looking forward to the next Harry Potter ;), buying it when i'm overseas in NZ :P

RE: Do you read books ? by Pipish on 07-01-2005 at 11:59 PM

i once got in trouble at school for reading to many sport biographys and not enough real books i lost marks because of it :P

RE: Do you read books ? by jren207 on 07-02-2005 at 12:03 AM

I don't really read many books... 8-), prefer watching film versions of books, I think there's gonna be a film version of the Da Vinci Code, so I might go see that...

and they are filming some of it at the Lincoln Cathedral in Lincoln in Lincolnshire, no that far away from me as I live in Lincolnshire :P , it says (tbc) though... *-)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382625/locations

RE: Do you read books ? by Stigmata on 07-02-2005 at 12:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
I think there's gonna be a film version of the Da Vinci Code, so I might go see that...

read friaise's post ;)
RE: Do you read books ? by FrozernFire on 07-02-2005 at 12:56 AM

harry potter and LOTR only :P

RE: Do you read books ? by emit on 07-02-2005 at 05:39 AM

Everyone should love reading. It's an essential part of human culture. Sure, you read lots whilst at the computer screen, but is it as insightful as Dostoyevsky or Tolstoy? I'm not sure what I'm currently reading... The Bourne Supremacy for sure, but also lots of other things. Spycatcher by Peter Wright,  I'm sort of three quarters through The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky for about the tenth read and there's a book beside my bed called Galactic Structure, so I must be reading that too.

M.

RE: Do you read books ? by haydos on 07-02-2005 at 07:49 AM

Hmmmm I used to read quite a bit but I havnt read a book for ages (too busy with school etc.) I have read The Da Vinci code and the other two Dan Brown books traxor mentioned and I like his writing style... I guess I dont read books at all anymore unless I have to for school

RE: Do you read books ? by Purity on 07-02-2005 at 08:46 AM

only at school when i have to.

I read magazines and stuff on the net, but no books.

I've read a couple interesting books but not on my own time.

RE: Do you read books ? by Tochjo on 07-02-2005 at 09:13 AM

I'm reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown now; after I've finished that I'll probably start reading The Da Vinci Code :)

quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
I'll be away from home when Harry Potter comes out so I'll be about 3 weeks behind everyone else
You'll probably still be months ahead of me, the Dutch translation will most likely not be available at the same time (and of course I could read it in English but I read the other 5 parts in Dutch so for consistency - the names alone are already different in both languages - I might as well wait for the Dutch version).
RE: Do you read books ? by ayjay on 07-02-2005 at 03:59 PM

Got every single one of Terry Pratchett's discworld novels and quite a few of his other ones :P

Don't think I'll bother getting Harry Potter straight away like I did last time :undecided:

RE: Do you read books ? by Rubber Stamp on 07-02-2005 at 04:11 PM

i just love reading, i spend hours and hours reading
i liked Da Vinci code, i was reallu interested on wat he said, i have Digital Fortress by the same man, tho this books plot is weaker
i also love reading those classic stuff, like Dr. jekyll and Mr. Hyde, twenty thousand leages under teh sea, Hunchback of notre dame,
i ordered a copy of harry potters latest yesterday
My favorite is SHERLOCK HOLMES by Sir Arthur Canon Doyle, i have read all 56 short stories and 4 novels of his!

RE: RE: Do you read books ? by Garndell on 07-02-2005 at 06:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ajd
Got every single one of Terry Pratchett's discworld novels and quite a few of his other ones :P

Don't think I'll bother getting Harry Potter straight away like I did last time :undecided:

Have you read The Science of the Discworld series?  They are full of fact, fiction & Pratchett's irrepressable humour.
RE: Do you read books ? by Vazza on 07-02-2005 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo

quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
I'll be away from home when Harry Potter comes out so I'll be about 3 weeks behind everyone else
You'll probably still be months ahead of me, the Dutch translation will most likely not be available at the same time (and of course I could read it in English but I read the other 5 parts in Dutch so for consistency - the names alone are already different in both languages - I might as well wait for the Dutch version).

I suddenly don't feel so bad :p
RE: Do you read books ? by ayjay on 07-02-2005 at 08:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
Have you read The Science of the Discworld series?  They are full of fact, fiction & Pratchett's irrepressable humour.

No but you should be a book critic :P
RE: Do you read books ? by crazihouse on 07-03-2005 at 09:09 AM

Whats a books?

RE: Do you read books ? by John Anderton on 07-03-2005 at 09:16 AM

quote:
Do you read books ? I'm not a big reader myself but I started to read Da Vinci Code last wednesday and I can't put it down ! Anybody else read it ?
Same here ... not too big a reader. Though i read encylopedia's and text books :P
I have read all 5 Harry Potter books (gonna read the 6th too :D) and Dan Brown's Angels and Demons (Reading The Da Vinci Code and next Digital Fortress)
I started 2 days back on Friday and i didnt get much time. I am on Chapter 4 ... where are you Frasie ??
RE: Do you read books ? by azn angel on 07-03-2005 at 09:31 AM

no! i dont know how to read!!! :<
im only four ffs!

RE: Do you read books ? by -dt- on 07-03-2005 at 09:58 AM

I read alot , the da vanci code was a very good book.
reading is a great way to pass time while being intrested in something

RE: Do you read books ? by Tandy on 07-03-2005 at 10:03 AM

omg, i read da vinci code about a month ago and im reading angels and demons right now and its even better!

These books go to my top favourites along with the Harry potter books. cant wait until the 6th one comes out, better finish this one!

Tandy

RE: Do you read books ? by emit on 07-03-2005 at 10:36 AM

Just got my three newest book orders today. Since I'm under doctor's orders to not move for 2-3 weeks due to a pulled muscle they're a perfect arrival.

RE: Do you read books ? by Garndell on 07-03-2005 at 02:31 PM

Never did like da vinci's code, the bible code or angels and demons.  Those books never captivated my attention, just like harry potter, it's a turn off for me.  I like a book that makes me want to read the next page more than I wanted to read the last, Dan Brown & Michael Drosnin just don't have that X factor to pull me in.

I'd reccomend Fatherland by Robert Harris as everyone I know that's read it has been drawn nito the book.

RE: Do you read books ? by King For A Day on 07-03-2005 at 02:34 PM

hmmm i havent read that but i do read a lot in big bursts of about 3 0r 4 books in a row then nothing for ages. i think its mostly on holiday though

RE: Do you read books ? by wacky on 07-04-2005 at 04:06 AM

I only like reading books about teens that have trouble with life and those about junkies :-/

RE: Do you read books ? by Fraisie on 07-05-2005 at 05:14 PM

Wow, I finished Da Vinci Code last night.. I WANT MORE ! I want to my local  BlockBuster to see if they had the Da Vinci Code Decoded DVD but it was already rented. Man I loved that book ! Can't wait to see the movie next year !

RE: Do you read books ? by CookieRevised on 07-05-2005 at 05:33 PM

I don't read many fiction books. Most books I read are non-fiction (of course :P). But the fiction ones I've read include Dune by Frank Herbert and other than that some books related to stories which are converted to stage shows...

The last fiction book I've read was the full color edition of Het Kaartenhuis (original English title: House of Leaves) from Mark Z. Danielewski. It's the most weird book I've ever encountered; it includes colored, italic, bold texts, as well as mirrored texts, braille, codes, etc... etc... and all with a meaning. It is a story within a story about a documentary about a story including many references to other books and stuff... In a way it can be compared to The Da Vinci Code. I highly recommend it (though it is a book which you either totally love or totally hate).

RE: Do you read books ? by John Anderton on 07-06-2005 at 05:52 AM

quote:
Wow, I finished Da Vinci Code last night.. I WANT MORE ! I want to my local  BlockBuster to see if they had the Da Vinci Code Decoded DVD but it was already rented. Man I loved that book ! Can't wait to see the movie next year !
There is a movie next year ... and i missed that documentary on Nat Geo too cause i put a reminder on my mobile that the program was on Sunday ..... Sony Erricsson Mobiles' week starts from a Monday :dodgy:
:blah: So i missed it :dodgy:
I want the DVD too :cry:
RE: Do you read books ? by nightcrawler50 on 07-28-2005 at 03:44 AM

only really good one: star wars, harry potter, comic books(marvel) and goosebumps

RE: Do you read books ? by Negro_Joe on 08-16-2005 at 09:01 PM

I read all the time! I dont where all my books have gone though, i think i must of ate them or something!