Shoutbox

Not good.... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Not good.... (/showthread.php?tid=47093)

Not good.... by (MeX).Banks on 07-02-2005 at 01:35 AM

I've always loved using Messenger Plus and all its features but, i found out when i turned my comp on i had SPYWARE...I used the lastest version of mircosoft spyware detection and found out Messenger Plus had a trojan and spyware programs along with it. I uninstalled and tried many wyas to elimate the virus and soon  found out 5 of my friends got the same trojan. I have a feelling something is going on here with the msg plus group.(N)(N)(N)(N)(N)

RE: Not good.... by albert on 07-02-2005 at 01:47 AM

All right, let's not get into a debate..  here's a link to a thread on how to delete the spyware..

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598

Also, remember to take a look at the msghelp.net forus, by reading here :

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/rules.html

( read the, DO NOT DOUBLE POST part ;-) ) there's an edit button for a reason

RE: Not good.... by (MeX).Banks on 07-02-2005 at 01:51 AM

My friend from halo online told me to install Messenger Plus wiith out the sponser cause it puts in alot of adware ( spyware whatever ) so i never did but got my trojan..

RE: Not good.... by matty on 07-02-2005 at 02:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by (MeX).Banks
My friend from halo online told me to install Messenger Plus wiith out the sponser cause it puts in alot of adware ( spyware whatever ) so i never did but got my trojan..
It is absoultly impossible for someone to opt out of the sponsor program and still have it install. There is absolutly no way this will happen. Either you accidently accepted it or something else is on your computer.
RE: Not good.... by Ahmad on 07-02-2005 at 02:32 AM

Microsoft Antispyware will detect Messenger Plus! as spyware/adware even if you installed it without the sponsor, rest assured that it is a false detection.

RE: Not good.... by albert on 07-02-2005 at 02:33 AM

It could also be that you have caught it from another place, as the web. But it is a 100% sure it didn't come from Msg Plus! if you did not accept to instal the sponsor program.

RE: Not good.... by (MeX).Banks on 07-02-2005 at 02:33 AM

Sometimes my comp does weird things and sometimes it opens folders without my clicking on it...im sure its a trojan..and yes i used micro anti-spyware

RE: Not good.... by albert on 07-02-2005 at 02:36 AM

quote:
Sometimes my comp does weird things and sometimes it opens folders without my clicking on it...im sure its a trojan..and yes i used micro anti-spyware

As mentioned above, if you did not install the sponsor program, then this has nothing to do with MsgPlus! This looks to me to be a virus circulating on the msn messenger, which my sister had, and it is to mention also that she had no Msg Plus! installed on her computer.

Have you clicked any .pif links lately?
RE: Not good.... by Patchou on 07-02-2005 at 03:18 AM

The adware installed by Messenger Plus! is not a trojan but an adware, there is no way that even with it, what you describe could happen.

The MS Anti-Spyware program detects Plus! as a "software bundler", not a spyware. If you didn't install the sponsor during install, then you got nothing else but Plus!.

RE: Not good.... by (MeX).Banks on 07-04-2005 at 10:37 AM

I got 6 detections on anti spyware from Messenger Plus ... 4 adware and detected it harmless and 2 .. 1 a worm and the 2nd some trojan program...at the moment iim using my other comp which is really crappy....

RE: Not good.... by RaceProUK on 07-04-2005 at 12:47 PM

The worm and trojan have nothing to do with Plus. And why is an anti-spyware program detecting viruses? Do a scan with an actual virus scanner, which should be able to properly identify any viruses and remove them.

RE: Not good.... by (MeX).Banks on 07-04-2005 at 12:50 PM

I can't do an real virus scan since my comp is stuffed and my comp dectected the worm but anti spyware did detect the trojan.

RE: Not good.... by RaceProUK on 07-04-2005 at 12:54 PM

I'm sorry, but anti-spyware programs cannot detect trojans: they don't know what to look for. And if your computer is stuffed, it sounds like you have far more to worry about than a piece of adware you didn't even install.

RE: Not good.... by (MeX).Banks on 07-04-2005 at 01:05 PM

It just doesn't happen...as soon as i installed msgplus it gave me all the adware then 10 mins after programs where opening up... and restarting...i dont think i got a trojan from somewhere after 10 mins hwen getting alot of adware....i dont think it should have adware at all

RE: Not good.... by RaceProUK on 07-04-2005 at 07:03 PM

quote:
My friend from halo online told me to install Messenger Plus wiith out the sponser cause it puts in alot of adware ( spyware whatever ) so i never did
You say yourself you never installed the sponsor, so how can the adware be related to Plus?
RE: Not good.... by ShawnZ on 07-04-2005 at 07:22 PM

Okay, lets straighten this out.

@ RaceProUK: Microsoft AntiSpyware can detect some trojans and viruses but not many, and it doesn't remove them all that well.

@ (MeX).Banks: Even if you chose not to install the sponsor, it will detect the messenger plus file as a software bundler, so its safe to ignore that as long as you know you didnt install the sponsor. - About the other two things, if they dont say Messenger Plus, then they are different. I suggest you remove them immediatly.

RE: Not good.... by RaceProUK on 07-04-2005 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
@ RaceProUK: Microsoft AntiSpyware can detect some trojans and viruses but not many, and it doesn't remove them all that well.
Never used it, so didn't know. Thanks for the info though: I'll remember it for the future ;)