Shoutbox

All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! (/showthread.php?tid=47222)

All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by .blade// on 07-05-2005 at 04:56 PM

quote:
Taking regular showers could pose a health risk and even result in permanent brain damage, it has been claimed.

Scientists believe that breathing in small amounts of manganese dissolved in the water may harm the nervous system.

The damage may occur even at levels of the naturally occurring metal normally considered safe, say the US researchers.

Although manganese levels in public water supplies are monitored, regulators have not considered the long-term effects of inhaling vaporised manganese while showering, they claim.

Dr John Spangler, from Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, New Carolina, who led the study, said: "If our results are confirmed, they could have profound implications for the nation and the world.

"Nearly nine million people in the United States are exposed to manganese levels that our study shows may cause toxic effects.

"Inhaling manganese, rather than eating or drinking it, is far more efficient at delivering manganese to the brain. The nerve cells involved in smell are a direct pathway for toxins to enter the brain. Once inside these small nerves, manganese can travel throughout the brain."

Dr Spangler's team calculated from animal studies the amount of manganese people would absorb by showering for 10 minutes a day.

After 10 years of showering in manganese-contaminated water, children would be exposed to levels of the metal three times higher than the doses needed to leave deposits in rats' brains, the researchers found.

Adults with a longer history of showering could be exposed to doses 50% higher. Children, pregnant women, the elderly and patients with liver disease were at the highest risk from manganese.

Source

:lol:

So let's see.

I can't drink beer, eat swordfish, eat tuna, eat at McDonald's, take a shower, drive my car or walk down the street downtown because they all cause health risks?

So when will there be a study showing that blinking has health risks?
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by aNILEator on 07-05-2005 at 05:02 PM

whats this about tuna and swordfish?

What about cigarettes :gfdrin:

RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by King For A Day on 07-05-2005 at 05:04 PM

i have an i dea lets avoid this problem and not wash or drink or eat and then see where we all end up ^o)

RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by CookieRevised on 07-05-2005 at 05:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .blade//
I can't drink beer, eat swordfish, eat tuna, eat at McDonald's, take a shower, drive my car or walk down the street downtown because they all cause health risks? So when will there be a study showing that blinking has health risks?
lol, I think they finally are saying being a nerd is the most healthy thing to do :D

* CookieRevised orders his own glas/plastic container to live in :D

:banana:

hm wait, I can still twist my finger on the keyboard :(

-----------

On a serious note, such studies are nice to read, although it has to be said that many other things have a lot higher risk factor then something like this. Eg: the air you breath outdoors in a normal city will contain thousands more toxics then the air you breath in a shower. A pregnant woman or child will be at much more risk when they walk into a bar filled with smoke, than taking a shower for 10m everyday...
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by Eljay on 07-05-2005 at 05:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
lol, I think they finally are saying being a nerd is the most healthy thing to do

lol woooo, nerds will be the one and only remaining human race 8-|
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by Anubis on 07-05-2005 at 06:26 PM

I'd think the risk of slipping in the shower would be worse, nothing will come of this, people have showered for years and lived.

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jeffery
lol woooo, nerds will be the one and only remaining human race 8-|

A world where wars are waged over which was the best Captain of the Enterprise :cheesy:
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by Tasha on 07-05-2005 at 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by King For A Day
i have an i dea lets avoid this problem and not wash or drink or eat and then see where we all end up ^o)

:rofl:

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
I'd think the risk of slipping in the shower would be worse, nothing will come of this, people have showered for years and lived.

Indeed.

Anyway, the quote only said that the scientists "believe" and that it "may" harm you, where's the fact? :happy:
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by haydos on 07-05-2005 at 06:44 PM

quote:
A world where wars are waged over which was the best Captain of the Enterprise :cheesy:
I have never been so scared in my whole life than after what you just said :|

:P
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by SikStyles on 07-05-2005 at 07:57 PM

quote:
I'd think the risk of slipping in the shower would be worse

yea true that..hurts like a bitch ¬¬

and without showering we get dirty, germs are gonna live on us, we get sick and we die..think if some really supertitious person believe's this and wont shower :S there might be coming a new sickness or sometin

anyway they keep on finding bad stuff about life and risky things..no good stuff..everything is bad..fried foods, shower, i even heard that bread was bad :|
then soon they are going to say "the university of bla bla bla has discovered that being alive is very risky. Scientist prove that you are  in a risk everyday. Die and you will be safe!, dont go outside and dont shower and dont eat shitty food and dont drink water..just sit there and you will be safe!, tests show that being dead is 99% safer than being alive, the 1% is maggots eating your body but that is only 1% so that we can bare, so go ahead and take ur family to a better,safer place"

anyway i keep showering and ignoring this silly experiment that they have come up with, maybe they need to get themselves checked..doing so many researches with the manganese has drove their braincells crazy...
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by DJeX on 07-05-2005 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly

Tuna and Swordfish have small amounts of mercury in them. That’s why you should never eat 5 tones one tuna in one sitting or you will die of mercury poisoning.
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by RaceProUK on 07-05-2005 at 09:19 PM

quote:
* RaceProUK builds a Star Trek-proof bunker
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by Tasha on 07-05-2005 at 09:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
* raceprouk builds a Star Trek-proof bunker

* Tasha joins raceprouk in the bunker :blah!:

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly

Tuna and Swordfish have small amounts of mercury in them. That’s why you should never eat 5 tones one tuna in one sitting or you will die of mercury poisoning.

I really didn't know that. :o
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by wacky on 07-05-2005 at 11:08 PM

Bah.. that's silly.

* wacky starts again :chrongue:

Ok.. I have a friend who hasnt taken a shower in over 4 months. Why? Well, he's one of those guys that's against chemical products and such.  But anyways, he's fine.. He's not sick, but he looks a little gross.. What do you expect :chrongue: But.. taking a shower isn't about being clean, imo. It's about looking clean. You can go around for a week without taking a shower and you wont start getting germs that will eat you up :rolleyes: Anywho, just taking a shower is bad, because the skin creates oils. Those oils protect it from germs and such. Thing is, when you take a shower, you get rid of those oils and you're at higher risk of getting bad stuff eating you up. I believe that's worse than whatever reason those "scientists" have found that would aparently damage your brain.
IMO, everything you hear is usually crap to scare you. That's how they can control you. Look at the news, it's been said that most of the things they say is negative because they want to scare you. They sure as hell will not show you things to comfort you. We live in fear. That's what they want.
Now don't tell me you'll stop doing whatever you do because they say it COULD harm your health.. Hell, what doesn't? I believe you should live the way you want, make fun out of it, instead of always living in fear and not doing what you like. Cuz, what's the point in living very long if you can't even enjoy yourself? When you cross the street, you don't worry about dying every step you take.. It is possible a car hits you and you die, though. So why not do that with everything else. Stop listening to crap people say.

Think about it.

RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by Purity on 07-05-2005 at 11:14 PM

I just like to look clean... :tongue:

Sometime my hair feels sick and I can't stand it so I take a shower, I usually take one each day, ever 2nd day i wash my hair, but my hair still gets wet. :P

RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by Depressed Panguin on 07-05-2005 at 11:58 PM

Does this mean that I can stop bathing? :p
j/k

RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by .blade// on 07-06-2005 at 12:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Today 04:58 PM     
    Quick Quote
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest     Return to Top     Next Newest »

The key to keeping Star Trek fans away is covering the bunker in Star Wars memorabilia :lol:
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by L. Coyote on 07-06-2005 at 12:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wacky
Bah.. that's silly.

* wacky starts again :chrongue:

Ok.. I have a friend who hasnt taken a shower in over 4 months. Why? Well, he's one of those guys that's against chemical products and such.  But anyways, he's fine.. He's not sick, but he looks a little gross.. What do you expect :chrongue: But.. taking a shower isn't about being clean, imo. It's about looking clean. You can go around for a week without taking a shower and you wont start getting germs that will eat you up :rolleyes: Anywho, just taking a shower is bad, because the skin creates oils. Those oils protect it from germs and such. Thing is, when you take a shower, you get rid of those oils and you're at higher risk of getting bad stuff eating you up. I believe that's worse than whatever reason those "scientists" have found that would aparently damage your brain.
IMO, everything you hear is usually crap to scare you. That's how they can control you. Look at the news, it's been said that most of the things they say is negative because they want to scare you. They sure as hell will not show you things to comfort you. We live in fear. That's what they want.
Now don't tell me you'll stop doing whatever you do because they say it COULD harm your health.. Hell, what doesn't? I believe you should live the way you want, make fun out of it, instead of always living in fear and not doing what you like. Cuz, what's the point in living very long if you can't even enjoy yourself? When you cross the street, you don't worry about dying every step you take.. It is possible a car hits you and you die, though. So why not do that with everything else. Stop listening to crap people say.

Think about it.
(Y) I agree with you.
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by wacky on 07-06-2005 at 12:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Depressed Panguin
Does this mean that I can stop bathing? :p
j/k
well that depends on if you like feeling and looking dirty :chrongue:
quote:
Originally posted by Killov
(Y) I agree with you.
ty

RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by Pipish on 07-06-2005 at 12:53 AM

:rolleyes: if he saying to us dont have showers that poses a bigger health risk than having a shower and these magnet things are they only in america

RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by SikStyles on 07-06-2005 at 01:09 AM

darn, i live in america :cry:

well anyways i once didnt take a bath for 3 weeks :$ :$ ( i was sick so i didnt go outside) and i didnt feel any different..i kinda felt more comfortable :rolleyes:

quote:
Anywho, just taking a shower is bad, because the skin creates oils. Those oils protect it from germs and such. Thing is, when you take a shower, you get rid of those oils and you're at higher risk of getting bad stuff eating you up

well sometimes these oils are bad because dirt gets caught in it and goes into skin pores causing blackheads and acne..thats why those acne treatments control oil outlet and clean dirty oil from ur skin..
i dont know, i just think it works that way..anyway people, keep taking shower/baths

[offtopic]

quote:
I have a friend who hasnt taken a shower in over 4 months

same here, he was in my school and he is a crackhead (literally) (didnt think of him bad) and he told the whole class he hasnt taken a shower for 4 months and he could make his hair stick up, because he didnt wash it..and no one thought of him different..if u havent taken a bath for a long time then u can always just wash ur face/hands and wear perfume/cologne, to get rid of the smell ;)

[/offtopic]
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by paperless on 07-06-2005 at 01:27 AM

Fortunately i only take a bath *cough*once*cough* a week :D

RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by SikStyles on 07-06-2005 at 02:57 AM

i take a shower like twice a week and a small one after i work out..sometimes im too lazy and i skip a couple of days..i dont care..i dont feel dirty why should i take a shower then..taking a shower everyday is kinda weird because you cant really get dirty in one day..when u basically dont do anything

RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by lopardo on 07-06-2005 at 03:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
I just like to look clean... :tongue:

Sometime my hair feels sick and I can't stand it so I take a shower, I usually take one each day, ever 2nd day i wash my hair, but my hair still gets wet. :P

Same here.

I hate my hair... :dodgy:
RE: RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by CookieRevised on 07-06-2005 at 11:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
quote:
Anywho, just taking a shower is bad, because the skin creates oils. Those oils protect it from germs and such. Thing is, when you take a shower, you get rid of those oils and you're at higher risk of getting bad stuff eating you up
well sometimes these oils are bad because dirt gets caught in it and goes into skin pores causing blackheads and acne..thats why those acne treatments control oil outlet and clean dirty oil from ur skin..
i dont know, i just think it works that way..anyway people, keep taking shower/baths
Errm... small but important correction/addition is at place here...

The oil the skin produces is VERY important. As Wacky has said, it protects the skin and your whole body. She has a very and important point and is totally correct.

However, SikStyles has a point also, only it isn't explained well.

It is not the "dirty" oil that gets into the skin pores or whatever. It is the dirt itself, this can (emphasize on "can", thus not "will") produce blackheads.

Acne is something entirly different and is almost never caused by dirt. It is caused by (masculine) hormones... Acne products do not control the oil outlet of the skin (well, some do, but those are only temporary solutions), they should control the hormone production*.

When people say that taking a shower is bad for your natural skin oil, they are absolutely perfectly correct!!! However they also mean taking a shower and washing with soap.

It is the soap which attacks and destroys the natural body oils. Water alone will not destroy the natural oils. You can perfectly take a shower once a day without washing with soap (or whatever you or the industry wanna call it; like "showergel") and it will perfectly be healthy; it will also take away all the dirt and smells as good as with soap.

However when you take a shower every day and you wash with soap you really are destroying your skin (and this is not a laughable fact or something like the OP's post)....

This is exactly the same with washing hair!!!!! Washing you hear every day or every 2 days (with shampoo) is very bad and destroys the skin on your head (and the hair also btw, unless you have a very specialized and expensive shampoo product). If you really want to keep it clean AND healthy, it is far better to wash it with water alone and only once a week with soap.

* Both boys and girls have these masculine hormones. And they are produced the most in puberty. But girls produce less of those hormones. This is the reason why girls get relative less acne then boys. Also girls who start taking the pill will get less acne because the pill also controls hormone production...
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by Jhrono on 07-06-2005 at 12:12 PM

I wont move out of this chair until cientists prove it's healthy to put on shoes :lol:

RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by wacky on 07-06-2005 at 10:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
This is exactly the same with washing hair!!!!! Washing you hear every day or every 2 days (with shampoo) is very bad and destroys the skin on your head (and the hair also btw, unless you have a very specialized and expensive shampoo product). If you really want to keep it clean AND healthy, it is far better to wash it with water alone and only once a week with soap
well, just water wont really clean much. Sure it'll take away the dirt and such, but hair will still look greasy because it doesnt clean enough. With how teens are fussing about their looks, they wanna look their cleanest and they go around destroying themselves :-/
quote:
Originally posted by Johny
I wont move out of this chair until cientists prove it's healthy to put on shoes :lol:
oh it isnt.. well.. in some ways. It's bad for your toes, because it gets them all tight (dunno how to explain this..) erm.. lets say a person that never put shoes on in his life, nor socks. His toes will be more stretched out.
Also, I believe it might cause toe nail problems for some.. same concept :-/
And, if you wear shoes and socks too much, your feet don't get much 'air' and it's not so good for your skin.
I'm actually not sure about these, but I'm assuming this. I've heard about skin problems and showers but not feet.. I honestly dont care about feet :chrongue:

RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by dylan! on 07-07-2005 at 06:40 AM

omg...some scientistes are stupider than the average human.,..imo...they think of one very complecated thing like showering is dangerous but yet they cant think that it helps more than it hurts

RE: RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by CookieRevised on 07-07-2005 at 03:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Super-D
omg...some scientistes are stupider than the average human.,..imo...they think of one very complecated thing like showering is dangerous but yet they cant think that it helps more than it hurts

they didn't say a word about the fact that showering as a whole is unhealthy. Of course they know that showering is good and refreshing and all. This is a scientific report and should therefor be read like one. They state the facts/result of the study, nothing more. It is by such small and seemingly unimportant studies that other investigations can proceed and evolve... (eg: spreading factor of diseases in contaminated water, etc...) All the report says is that some unhealthy stuff in some of the water can be breath in while showering.

Before anyone did the study, we also didn't know by scientific fact that country air is more healthy then city air. Or that drink water reservoires can be poisened by to much use of manure on the country land, etc....
RE: RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by Rubber Stamp on 07-09-2005 at 08:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny

they are scientists dude...they can prove putting shoes on is wrong.....not right....so unless u wanna get stuck in that chair forever.....u should chuck the scentists
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by user27089 on 07-09-2005 at 08:16 AM

This is extremely stupid, one thing is now that it is a too sterile environment, and babies aren't getting any illnesses because of there. So their immune system will be much lower than that of somebody much older, therefore increasing the chance of disease in latter life.

RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by RaceProUK on 07-10-2005 at 02:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
This is extremely stupid, one thing is now that it is a too sterile environment, and babies aren't getting any illnesses because of there. So their immune system will be much lower than that of somebody much older, therefore increasing the chance of disease in latter life.
Not quite - the immune system actually becomes over-sensitive, which is thought to be linked to allergies later in life. Minor childhood illnesses teach the immune system to regulate itself, so for the majority of responses, it doesn't cause any noticeable effect to the person. Only for significant responses do you see symptoms.
Of course, if the immune system is over-sensitive, you see flu-like symptoms in response to otherwise harmless chemicals, much in the same way as an allergy (as it is one).
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by _Humphreys on 07-10-2005 at 03:31 PM

Does that mean I don't have to have a shower with soap any more? Rejoice! :lol:

quote:

Why would a war happen? ...we all know it was Will Shatner.

RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by shine on 07-10-2005 at 10:22 PM

* shine cant even imagine the stupidty behind these claims :p

There are unimaginable health risk in many other areas of concern like  air we breathe,water that we drink and the food that we eat. And they are worried about manganese level in water they bathe in :tongue: What should be done with these guys?
* shine imagines all funny stuffs to do..... :tongue:

Bathing depends on the climate in your areas....I'm from a part of the world  were we have atleast two baths daily...not kidding. And I do not know a place to compare with that... This could be due to the tropical climate and the plentiness of water resources.. To be frank I take bath atleast once a day..

Imagine an icelander bathing daily :p so it depnds on the climate and the environment you live in.

RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself! by PenguinBoy on 07-11-2005 at 03:42 PM

who needs sanitry, it's just cause people don't wanna smell funny. u can survive just fine without washing. u'd soon get imune to nasty stuff.

how about, smoking in beer-shower while chewing on a bigmac. yummy. ART.