Shoutbox

Plus auto-unistall on restart. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Plus auto-unistall on restart. (/showthread.php?tid=47229)

Plus auto-unistall on restart. by Slick22 on 07-05-2005 at 07:30 PM

Here's my problem; When ever I shut down or restart my computer, Messenger Plus [latest version] will get unistalled. Meaning I will have to then reinstall it when I return. Is there anyway to fix this?

PS. Sorry if this has been brought up before.

RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by albert on 07-05-2005 at 07:35 PM

hum.. this sounds to me like your using a pc with a special account not allowing anything to get saved on the hard disk.. is it the case?

RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by Slick22 on 07-05-2005 at 07:36 PM

Uh, I don't believe so... I save other stuff to my drive too and it stays... it's just Plus. This same problem used to happen to be a while back, but it somehow fixed itself :/

Is there anyway to check?

RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by RaceProUK on 07-05-2005 at 09:11 PM

If you're using XP, are you using a Limited account or an Administrator account?

RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by matty on 07-05-2005 at 09:18 PM

If you go into the Add Remove programs do you still have Messenger Plus! 3 listed?

RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by Slick22 on 07-06-2005 at 03:19 PM

I'm the administator on my computer, so yes I'm in the admin account.

And yes, it is still in Add or Remove... although there's a banned kind of icon [red circle - line through middle] next to it :/

RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by matty on 07-06-2005 at 03:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slick22
I'm the administator on my computer, so yes I'm in the admin account.

And yes, it is still in Add or Remove... although there's a banned kind of icon [red circle - line through middle] next to it :/

That icon is normal. That is the uninstall icon for Messenger Plus!.

Click on Start > Run > type msconfig and click ok

Click on the Startup Tab

Put checkmarks beside anything saying MsgPlus

Click Ok and restart.

Does it work now?
RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by CookieRevised on 07-06-2005 at 03:48 PM

quote:
Here's my problem; When ever I shut down or restart my computer, Messenger Plus [latest version] will get unistalled. Meaning I will have to then reinstall it when I return. Is there anyway to fix this?

PS. Sorry if this has been brought up before.
small but important correction... Messenger Plus! is not uninstalled at all.

It simply doesn't run at windows startup. There is a huge difference between a program not running and a program uninstalling. When a program is uninstalled you wouldn't see any trace of it, not in the "add/remove programs" section and the program's directory would certainly not exist anymore...
RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by Sunshine on 07-06-2005 at 03:53 PM

You can try Alternate mode:

- Plus > preferences > miscellaneous..under Messenger Plus! Automatic Recovery Options, set it to "Alternate".
- Reboot
- Start MSNM and check if it's still in alternate mode
- Ctrl alt del to go to taskmanager and in processeslist end msgplus.exe
- Now restart MSNM and see if Plus! appears in the menu, if so "alternate mode" is working fine.
- After checking you can remove Plus! from startuplist by going to: start > run ..type: msconfig <enter>, go to startuplist and uncheck MsgPlus (this step isn't really needed, if need be Plus! will switch to "Allternate" by itself, just check if it's still set to "Alternate" every now and then).

Alternate mode is new and only available in Windows 2000/XP. Make sure you got no programs running preventing writing in the registry whilst setting it to "alternate mode".

If you use another OS, try "default mode - forced". If that doesn't work you can put Messenger Plus! in your startup folder.

Edit: to start Plus! you don't have to reinstall it, you can go to taskmanager (ctrl alt del), in the menu click "File" > new task...then browse to MsgPlus.exe (C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3) and doubleclick it.

RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by Slick22 on 07-07-2005 at 03:44 PM

Well, the alternative mode works I believe, but as for the Ctrl Alt Del bit, I can't check it... because for some reason it won't work?! :/

RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by Zephyr on 07-07-2005 at 03:53 PM

quote:
Well, the alternative mode works I believe, but as for the Ctrl Alt Del bit, I can't check it... because for some reason it won't work?! :/

Well, if you have alternate mode on, and it works, you won't need the Ctrl Alt Del part. If your computer starts and plus isn't running, that's when you can use the Ctrl Alt Del method. It will bring up task manager, where you can start a new task as Sunshine said.

Alternatively you can go to Start> Run> then browse to the msgplus.exe file.

Or, you can just go to the file in windows explorer and double click it.
RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by Slick22 on 07-07-2005 at 03:56 PM

That's the thing. Task manager won't open... at all. On Ctrl + Alt + Del or by selecting it from the task bar!

On a happier note, it seems to be working now, but I'll try again later

RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by Zephyr on 07-07-2005 at 03:59 PM

If you look in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 directory, check to see if taskman and taskmgr files are there. Try opening taskmgr as well. What exactly happens? Any error messages?

If task manager still isn't running from here, try looking at these sites

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...indows2000.html

http://www.infopackets.com/gazette/2003/20...2000_and_xp.htm

These sites above have some settings you can change to enable task manager.

This site, http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm has a exe file which i tried and it worked perfectly. It allows you to disable or enable task manager.

There is also a registry key you can change. Don't change this if you are not entirely sure what you are doing.

Start -> Run. Type in "regedit" (no quotes)>Enter.

Search for HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System.

Look for: DisableTaskMgr. Click on REG_DWORD. Value: 1=Enable this key (disables TaskManager); Value: 0=Disable (actually enables TaskManager)

Reboot your machine.

RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by Slick22 on 07-07-2005 at 04:20 PM

Well, I did that .exe but still task manager won't load up. I click on it [or press C+A+D] and nothing happens :/

RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by Zephyr on 07-07-2005 at 04:24 PM

quote:
Well, I did that .exe but still task manager won't load up. I click on it [or press C+A+D] and nothing happens :/

Did you try locating the task manager file in C:\WINDOWS\system32?

The file is taskmgr.exe. I think there should also be a taskman.exe.
RE: Plus auto-unistall on restart. by evm on 07-07-2005 at 06:30 PM

if you find taskmgr.exe anywhere else then u should check r comp for spy-ware and virsus